Bligh's Barleywine Ale - Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Bligh's Barleywine AleBligh's Barleywine Ale

Dry Dock Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

English Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: waltonc on 10-08-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bligh's Barleywine Ale Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -14%

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks the mdfb79 (Dan) for sharing this awesome beer with everyone!

The beer pours a very pretty dark red to brown color with ample cascading lacing and a great ring of head.

The smell is rit in the pocket for a BA Barleywine, it has a great bourbon overtone to a sweet and semi hoppy base beer. It's sweet but not too sweet. Prunes, raisins, rum raisin ice cream, brown sugar, alcohol sweetness, and a bit of spice. A great smell.

The taste is great, but is pretty sweet compared to what I had anticipated. Cotton candy, plus all the notes of the smell, it's nice but maybe the sweetness covers up some of the complexities from the aroma.

The feel is ok, a little thinner than I had hoped but not overly boozy.

Overall a very worthy beer, definitely worth seeking out.

3.64/5  rDev -16.5%

2012 vintage. Acquired a few weeks ago at a liquor store in Parker, Colorado. Reviewed live. 10% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with an elegant label and a foilved over pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are high given its current rating.

Served after a brief period of rest following its removal from the refrigerator, and allowed to warm further over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with honey pretzel braids.

A: Pours a half finger beige colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and bad retention (~40 seconds) - though it's excusable for the 10% ABV. A ring floater remains for about a minute after the head fully recedes. Body colour is a very dark caramel-brown; it's understated but I wouldn't call it dull. Its lack of transparency coupled with its opaqueness prevents it from being vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall a spot-on appearance for the style.

Sm: Whiskey is definitely the first thing I get, followed by oak. Caramel and toffee make an appearance. Hints of vanilla lend it more of a bourbon feel than a whiskey. Toffee. Biscuit malts. It's actually surprisingly restrained in terms of its malt character for a barleywine. Buried fruit. I search for coconut but don't find it. Rich in fermented sugars. I don't detect any substantial hop character - a positive attribute in terms of my personal preferences for the style. An understated, subtle aroma of above average strength. No real yeasty character is detectable, but there may be a hint of alcohol heat.

T: Oak and coconut hit me first and last throughout. Some bourbon-esque vanilla, again feeling more like bourbon than whiskey. Caramelized malts comprise the unobtrusive foundation, but never feel out of place. Subtle hints of toffee throughout. Some dark fruit on the climax combines with the vanilla for a satisfying effect. A bit of alcohol heat right on the finish, to its detriment. No yeast character at all. A bit imbalanced, but well put together for the most part. It's certainly a sipper. A good build for a barleywine. The taste is certainly more rich and malty than the aroma. I like it, but admittedly I expected better.

Mf: Undercarbonated, bordering on flat. Smooth and wet. Good thickness. Lacks sufficient palate presence to adequately support the flavour profile. A beer this refined in taste demands a better executed mouthfeel.

Dr: She's a sipper, alright. I'll have trouble killing this bottle by myself, but I reckon I'll enjoy doing so for the most part. Still, I do wish I had a friend about to help me put her down. The ABV needs to be hidden far better than this. Overall, it's a solid barleywine from one of Colorado's best breweries, but I expected far better given its current ratings. I'm hoping this will pick up with age, and I'm not unhappy to have a couple more bottles on hand, but I have to admit I'm disappointed. Worth picking up if you haven't tried it, but I won't be grabbing any in future years unless I hear it's gotten better.

High B

It does pick up slightly as it warms, but not substantially. I recommend serving it slightly chilled.

I wouldn't pair this with anything fancy. Pretzels did me just fine.

Seems like a good candidate for aging.

*I had to tweak the appearance rating to give this the letter grade I needed to. This helps keep my reviews fair and consistent. Please see my profile page for more information.

---
2013 vintage. Truncated notes. Reviewed side by side with a King Henry.

Deep dark red body with a plump khaki colour head. Poor (~1 minute) retention. Looking pretty good for a barleywine. I'd say it looks about as good as the King Henry.

More overtly fruity than King Henry. Otherwise, it's more reticent. Seems too sweet judging from the aroma alone. It seems like it's built from a weird mixture of amber malts and English malts. There's some marshmallow, but I remember there being more in the 2012 vintage.

Marshmallow, caramel, amber malts, English malts. I really crave a good toffee presence. Any barrel notes are quite reticent; where's the whiskey? I like that there's no whiskey spice, but I'd like some oak or vanilla or something.

Bar none, King Henry is a vastly superior barleywine, but I'm glad I did this side by side. I'll probably revisit Bligh's in the future, but I'm unconvinced it's world class. She's a sipper, but she's enjoyable.

Low B

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

This is the 2012 bottle

Pours rich brown, murky a bit. Little tan head, not all that big. Settles to a collar. Slick lacing.

Vanilla, caramel, rich sweet bread. Perhaps some ginger in the aroma. Cookie.

Flavor is great. Sweet, dark, rich, caramel and vanilla. Some booze, but not a 10%er. Very nice as the barrel aging takes over command, and under control.

Mouthfeel falls apart a bit. It's thin. The richness just falls away. Maybe it's lack of carbonation? I'm not sure. A hint of nuttiness on the back, and then the beer just goes away. Easy drinking though. Is that good?

A fine beer. I'll have to re-try this one to if the feel is more than just in one bottle.

4.27/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a bomber in to a snifter, 2012 vintage.

A - off-reddish brown; 1/8th inch head; a little lacing with no retention; very little bubbly carbonation

S - boozy; plums and raisins; brown sugar, maybe a little vanilla; a little bit of oak; bourbon!

T - bourbon; grapes; raisins; sweet bread; caramel; just a touch of coconut; some chocolate notes here as well

M - this beer is packing some heat...will certainly do better with some time behind it; medium body; mild carbonation; slick; stays there for a bit then disappears...smooth; a little syrupy

O - thankfully I've got a few more of these...this is one of those beers that will get much better with time; it's boozy, delicious; plenty of flavors here with the right amount of whiskey and oak present; great barleywine

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Dark reddish brown with no head at all.

S: Toffee, sugar, whiskey, lots of raisin/dark fruits. Really great smell, best part of this one.

T: Lots of whiskey comes through. Nice sweet malty backend with hints of toffee and caramel, maybe a bit of vanilla. Whiskey dominates though.

M: Very hot, but nicely carbonated. Thin body, almost watery. Tastes ALL of 10%, but yet is very smooth.

O: Pretty good. I have to admit I expected more and am a bit disappointed for what I spent. Not worth seeking out to me, but worth picking up a bottle if you happen to find it.

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Thin beige head on a opaque brown body. Collar sticks around, little spots of lacing.

Dark fruits...raisins, plums. Present whiskey but not overpowering.

"Dried fruits." Grapey. Again the barrel-aged presence is most prominent but not dominant. Drinks it's 10%abv to me.

Thick mouthfeel, lower carbonation. Very smooth. Coats the mouth.

I'd say this is in the bottom portion of the top tier of BA English Barleywines. I had a hard time describing the taste because this is nearly a one-trick pony with its whiskey notes. Combined with the nose and mouthfeel though, overall this is a great beer. Thanks 4DAloveofSTOUT for the trade a long time ago!

Bligh's Barleywine Ale from Dry Dock Brewing Co.