2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ambassador Barrel Aged Sour Ale - Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Ambassador Barrel Aged Sour Ale
No picture uploaded.

Dry Dock Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: tswater on 02-24-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 11 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
Dmart1223

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow, you guys. This beer is amazing.

Its hazy, tawny brown look makes it seem like it was poured right out of the barrel (which it might have been, since I got it at the brewery). But the excellence really begins at first sniff.

I only got a 3-ounce sampler, but the scent kicked me back: think oak, cherries and everything good with a sour that stings the back of your nostrils.

And unlike a few Dry Dock beers I've tried, the taste matched the smell's high expectations. It was very sour, with a full mouthfeel and woody tannins that stuck to the roof of my mouth. And of course, there were more ripe, fresh cherries that pulled all the way through.

The only complaint was that I didn't get more of it.

10-11-2013 01:43:12 | More by Dmart1223
MighHighBrewer

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Dry Dock makes sours?! Hell yes.
I’ve had this on-tap at their brewery many times. While I don’t have specific tasting notes on this beer, I can tell you the following:

- It pours a very light golden/straw color. It’s a hazy brew, that lets some light through but is not translucent. As others have mentioned, no head is apparent either upon pour or throughout the glass. Little to no lacing.

- On a scale of 1:10 in terms of tartness, this one ranks about a 4. It’s not overwhelmingly, palate-wrecking sour (thank god). Actually, this one is just about ideal to my taste buds. Great job.

- Flavor: while not as complex as the best sours on the market, this sour definitely holds its own. The tart citrus flavor is backed up nicely with the Brett/Lacto notes in the background. This beer is barrel-aged, but I’ll be honest: I really don’t taste any oak flavors. Overall, a great sour that’s a bit more mellow and a little less complex than the best sours on the market.

- Carbonation level is appropriate for a sour: meaning, it’s not very carbonated. Carbonation is definitely there, but it’s light on the tongue. Mouthfeel is excellent.

This is a great sour beer. Not as good as Crooked Staves or RR, but still very good. It’s easy-drinking and mellow with just the right amount of tart goodness. Great job, Dry Dock!

05-30-2013 20:40:11 | More by MighHighBrewer
Mebuzzard

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ordered this one at Colorado + not really knowing what it was. Thought it might be a sour...

...and it is. Pours a murky, faded golden yellow. Minimal head that fell to a slight collar.

Aroma is tart fruit, some wood and faint spice. Lemon and orange zest, with some green grass.

Flavors are nice. The fruity sourness balance is pretty darn good. Kind of sweet up front, then the tartness starts to pucker, and a quick gut punch of sour comes in. What I like about this sour, and I'm not a sour beer guy, is its finish. Dry with a hint of sweet 'n' tart to leave the palate cleanly. Good carbonation lifts the residue. Ready for another sip. May be a touch heavy for a summer day.

05-14-2013 17:56:30 | More by Mebuzzard
StonedTrippin

4.01/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

after dry docks first foray into sours (that I am aware of anyway), the golden sour from late this summer, I was expecting some pretty big things from this beer. the golden sour was one of the most sour beers ive ever tasted, punishingly so, and really distinct in terms of mouthfeel. this one falls in line a little better with the "standard sours" if there can be such a claim. the pour is hazy and pale, more yellow than gold, more straw than sunshine. only a thin layer of big white bubbles passes as a head. the nose is tart and citric, yeasty and oaked, slightly peppery which I cant quite trace to the source. the flavor is on the vinegar side at first, but relaxes to a more fruited acid, with a fuller wheat and pale malt body than the style usually makes room for. puckery and zesty, but not anywhere near the level of the earlier golden sour. carbonation is lacking for me a little, both times ive had this it was the same story. it comes out of the tap nice and bubbly, but cant seem to hold onto it. that makes it feel a little heavier, especially with its bigger body. a good brew, a damn fine sour, but after the golden sour I expected to be floored by this and I just wasn't.

03-04-2013 19:35:50 | More by StonedTrippin
tswater

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

I enjoyed this one on tap at Falling Rock Taphouse during the Younger release party. I did not know Dry Dock had a Barrel Aged Sour, so I was ALL-IN, as were the other 11 people at my table. Appearance was a nice golden color with about 1/2" of white foam along the top. Smell was... well sour! Couldn't wait to taste this bad boy. Taste was solid, sour with some acidity too. The sour characteristics lingered in the mouth for a bit, which I enjoyed. While not on the level of Russian River sours, I really liked this one and hope to drink it again soon.

02-24-2013 15:09:43 | More by tswater
Ambassador Barrel Aged Sour Ale from Dry Dock Brewing Co.