Blonde Ale - Mt. Carmel Brewing Company

good

Mt. Carmel Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: pentathlete on 11-27-2005)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by viverlee:
2.83/5  rDev -21.6%

We got off to in inauspicious start, spilling the two-finger head as I walked upstairs. To me, the least interesting of the Mt. Carmels I’ve quaffed in the last few years.

STYLE: American Blonde Ale

ABV: 5.5%

LOOK: Creamy head that met an unfortunate fate on the third step up. Golden, light, clean, with a bit of BMC look too it. Carbonation is just right for this style.

NOSE: Cheerios, simple malt, raw corn, lacks depth.

MOUTH: Lagerish, clean, neutral grains, lacks mouthfeel. More canned than anything. What few hops you get with the finish are unremarkable in their ability to carry floral or more interesting notes.

BA Rating: 83

Hayward Abbey Rating: 73

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

A: light and gold. decent white head

S: malty grain smell with a hint of citrus and floral

T: about like it smells, its a pretty sweet beer that ends with a lingering sour note

M: smooth and light-body

D: not very complex. Not a bad beer, but not a great beer either. May not be worth the craft beer price!

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

I enjoyed this beer in it’s first week of existance at Nicholson’s, downtown Cincinnati. Since they blew the first keg of it in ONE day, this was from the second keg. I’m very excited for this brewer(y) and their beers. Unfortunately I can’t describe in much detail but I remember it being very clean tasting, no off flavors. Hoppy aroma and taste, but not overpowering. Smooth and yummy! Definately recommended!

[edit]
I've since had this beer in growlers from Jungle Jim's. Not sure if it's the length of time they may have been sitting at JJ or if it's just the beer, but i keep experiencing a diacetyl like off-flavor in this beer. I get it in the Copper Ale as well. I will keep drinking it though to show support to this small start-up brewer!

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured a nice transparent, golden color into the glass. Not much a head, even with an aggressive pour. Lacing was pretty good.

Smells good. I could mostly smell the malts and picked up what I thought may have been honey. Very sweet. Hints of citrusy hops.

Taste is very good. The malts are sweet and biscuity. The hops come in nicely; subdued but well balanced. Picked up some grains at the end. Finishes nicely. It's both crisp and smooth.

Drinkibility is very good. I could easily turn this into a session brew.

For those in the Cincinnati area, this is a must have. What a fantastic, well crafted beer.

4.24/5  rDev +17.5%

3.65/5  rDev +1.1%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a dark blonde/gold color with a half inch white head. Lacing and head retention are both OK. The aroma is mostly malty, it smells mostly like buttery/bready malt with a bit of citrusy hops. The buttery aroma is also noticable in the taste, as it tastes like biscuity malt, butter, and a little bit of spicy and citrusy hops. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's coating and has good carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's very smooth and not hard to drink at all. Overall it's a decent enough brew, it's not my favorite of the Mt. Carmel beers but it's still good and it's one I'd drink again in the future.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

64oz Growler purchased at Bigg's in Mason and poured into several pint glasses

A - Poured a very nice deep and very cloudy amber color. Lots of haze on this one which was a bit of a shock as I was not expecting it, however it had a very full look and a very nice profile. A large three finger high head of white colored foam rose up above the glass and took a good long time before it finally decided to recede. Once it did it left behind ample side glass lace and a really nice coating across the entire glass. It should be noted as well that there was a good amount of sediment visible in the bottom of the growler and the last couple pints were really loaded down with it. Overall a very nice full look and a bit bigger then I thought it would be.

S - The aroma had a suprising amount of hops in it. I was really not expecting this much of a hope nose on it, but there it was and really gave a nice balance to the rest of the malts that were really dominant here. Lots of earthy and bready aromas mixed in with some fresh grass and a bit of a musty like smell once it warmed, not bad just a little bit different and maybe it was due to the sediment towards the end as thats really when I noticed it.

T - The flavor was very nice as well and no where near the Blond Ale I thought it was going to me. This was stuck somewhere in the middle of a pale ale and an amber ale. It was a big malt monster either way you want to look at it. Lots of bready and cereal like grains that mixed in and supplemented an ever present bit of yeast that was kind of musty smelling and really just more a hint then a full on flavor bouncing around in there. Now there were definitely some hops in the character, but not your normal huge floral and citrus hops display, this was more mellowed and served just to bitter up the beginning and dry out the finish. Very nice I have to say and a bit more complex then a Blond Ale.

M – Very nice light bodied ale, this one was definitely a nice smooth delivery. There was a really nice smoothness to it and the carbonation never really did let down, even in a three day old growler, that was sitting on a shelf for who knows how long. Great clean finish that did not really drag on too long and did not over burden anything.

D – Very nice session ale, and I mean that. The growler was easily put down before you knew what was there. A smooth drinker with low abv and a nice light body and profile, I mean what more could you ask for in a session ale right?

Overall I was quite impressed with this one. Unfortunately this was the only thing I was able to try of theirs while I was there, but I would like to think it was well worth it. A nice classic little brew that would not disappoint. I would pick this one up again some day.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed golden yellow color. Aggressive pour yielded only one finger of frothy head. Retention was subpar and no lacing was left.

4.0 S: Sweet neutral maltiness with bubblegum and peachy fruitiness notes. Lemongrass. Dank, earthy hops. I've never smelled anything quite like this. At first whiff I was somewhat appalled with what I found, but it quickly grew on me. Truly unique.

4.0 T: The bubblegum and lemon grass follow into the taste and gain some strength. Very light bitterness with earthy hop flavor. Light fruits, though not as peachy as the nose suggests. Light graininess and light neutral malt sweetness, which is in good balance with the hops.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Creamy for what it is and super smooth.

4.0 D: Color me impressed. This was a solid and quite interesting brew. I recommend this for anyone who likes easy drinking brews with seemingly strange flavor profiles.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

On draft at the comet.
Pours a clear amber in color, with a nice head sitting atop. Biscuity and malty in the nose. Taste is a little more crisp and fruity. A smooth drinker that goes down pretty easy.
One of the better beers coming out of Mt. Carmel Brewing Co. They still have a bit of work to do to impove the line of beers.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

A friend of mine in Cincinnati brought one of these down as gift for letting he and his wife crash at our house after a concert. A light golden color with inch and half head, that is slightly puffy. A yeasty aroma, with twinge of hop bitterness at the end. The taste starts with mild, almost creamy flavor, that lingers on the palate. A touch of hop bitterness lands on the back of the palate right at the finish. A watery feel, that spreads across the tongue like a splash. A fairly drinkable beer, light flavor and mouthfeel make this a great beer to introduce people to or convert them to craft beer.

2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

I am all for Cincinnati pride! But this is a brewery that I am not proud of...I respect their tenacity b/c I know they are brewing out of a basement and fill the bottles all themselves (like 17 seconds a bottle). But the brew itself left me unimpressed. "not impressed" really just summed up my experince!

Yummy

3.9/5  rDev +8%

nosed - light lemony and wheatful....

mouthed...bubble gummy...some lemon...decent amount of carbonation...tastes kinda like a lemon soda...without sugar...crisp and clean...not a tremendous beer but a solid drinker....dare i say refreshing?

could drink a pitcher of this and be content...

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Appearange: The brew pours a nice medium honey color with and excellent head. Unfortunately, lacings are a minimum.

Smell: Hops are bountiful with a bit of spicy citrus evident. The aroma was pleasant but not overly pronounced.

Taste: Ok...here was an unexpected suprise. This beer is very similar to an IPA. The flavor curve had a relatively sharp uptake with a tapering that was accentuated by hops for the duration including the sustain. The bitterness of this selection was high yet not unpleasant.

Mouthfeel: For a hop heavy selection, this brew tends to roll well on the palate. I wouldn't call this a "crisp" ale, but the taste is not overpowering. While this would not be a good session selection, the flavor curve is sufficiently interesting to make this a great choice for a backyard event where the drinkers are experienced.

Drinkability: Since this pale ale is more IPA than blone ale, The drinkability is still fairly high. I was able to easily consume several of these with out feeling full. Being a fan of IPA's, I enjoyed this brew, however, this would not be a good choice for the novice drinker.

Prisit!
Nikki

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a hazy golden color with not much head or lacing.

Citusy smell somewhat astringent for a blonde ale.

Tastes of citrus hops some sweetness with a hint of lemon...not bad. This beer has a hoppy IPA quality to it.

Quite drinkable if you like your blonde ale's hoppy. And certainly beats out the other Cincy brewer (Moerlein) in almost every aspect.

1.98/5  rDev -45.2%

Thanks to Ryan011235 for this 12 ounce bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy dull gold body with a generous cap of bright white head. Good retention and a fair amount of sticky lacing.

Unfortunately, things go downhill from there. Nose is exceedingly tame, mild canned corn sweetness, a touch doughy. Carbonation is light and the body is rather thickish and plodding, not a great match for the relative lack of flavor. A touch of lemon to balance out the corn sweetness. Hints of soap and a slightly 'off' toasted flavor I can't quite put my finger on. More like a slight step up from a macro than the crisp, clean, delicate profile required of a decent blonde ale.

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

just cracked open a 1/2 gallon growler of this stuff here in cincinnati (w00t) I found it at biggs, I was so suprised to se a homegrown micro brew on the shelves, and of course it being st patty's day I had to enjoy some real beer and this is it!!

A: it pours a golden color, not quite copper or amber but far from light also slightly cloudy
macro, head is thick creamy and firm

S: its smells like beer, smells real fresh

T: INCREDABLE it has a very heavy grain taste that screams fresh off the farm, very bold and yet refreshing at the same time

M: this is average, low carbonation and tiny bubbles makes for a wet beer that lets you taste the flavor instead of the co2

D: very drinkable, my rule of thumb is if I can finish a 16oz glass its a good beer, If I cant it sucks... I finished a full 16oz no prob and crave more, thank god I have 48 more oz that wont go to waste!!!

3.68/5  rDev +1.9%

From the bottle to the glass pours golden beer with a thick, sudsy head. A sweet, lemony aroma hits the nose with notes of cereal and cream. Flavors of buttery dough and spiced lemon with an aftertaste of cream. Something about this beer reminds me of lemon cookies. Another unique and enjoyable creation by Mt. Carmel.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Very little note on this one.

Blonde/carmel color. Next day fizz.
(yea, all for me)

Good hop and yeastyness
Light body
Sweet nose
no foam retention

Very very fine lace

Light fresh hazelnut finish.

I liked it, but there's no telling how long it was in the store.
Most people won't buy a growler, especially if it is on the top shelf where I found this one.

1.85/5  rDev -48.8%

Appearance - pours a very fluffy, hazed light lemon-yellow. Enough foam to require a pause before the last ounce can be added. It looks good in the glass, nice effervescence, some notable thick ribbons of lace on the glass. One attractive blonde.

Aroma - a touch of lemon initially, lots of bread dough or cookie batter, or somewhere in between. The hops add an iced-tea herbal earthiness that makes for an unusual, intriguing sniff at first. With setup time, this becomes an odd, nearly offensive soapiness, maybe. Or it's a strong pilsnery wet grain/hop aroma, I can't tell, but it has an earthy manurish bend that is turning me off after a few minutes.

Taste - standard base of grain, what I notice off the bat is an unusual soap flavor, and a metal influence that is heavier than I care for. The hops come in clean on the swallow, but instead of accentuating the front side of the beer, they are in clean-up mode. In trying to cover the odd soapiness and metallic stuff, they get muddled in there. The aftertaste is bitter but flavorless from a hop standpoint. Finishes dry, with an unpleasant mix of all aforementioned flavors. I don't know if there is a bug in this bottle, but I don't much like the taste. It's also entirely possible that somehow the beer is just too rich for a blonde. Indeed, the malts are not subtle, their graininess is pushy. And the hops, which should be on the light to medium side, are anything but. I'll have to try this on-tap before making a final judgment on the blonde.

Mouthfeel - crisp, a note of fluffiness and also a note of smoothness.

Drinkability - this was far more of a chore than I wanted it to be. I wonder if there are some odd flavors in here as a result of the change over to the new bottling line, i.e. perhaps some of that 'new car smell' getting into the beer's taste in a bad way. Whatever it is, I hope it goes away, as I really wanted to like and promote the local stuff, but I cannot on this one.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »