Copper Ale - Mt. Carmel Brewing Company

Copper AleCopper Ale

Mt. Carmel Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: pentathlete on 12-11-2005)
Reviews by misterkew:

01-07-2012 18:20:36 | More by CDS86
NJpadreFan

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Mt. Carmel- Copper Ale

Big thanks to my buddy, Patrick (Pimpp) for the growler!!

A- Slighty hazy copper brown with a moderate head and good messy lacing.
S- Creamy caramel with nice green pine hops.
T- Sweet chewy vanilla caramel malt with a touch of fresh green hops. Nice touch of grains, oats, sunflower seeds, bread crust, and brown sugar.
M- thick and chewy malt dominates with a touch of earthy pine hop dry bitterness in the end.

Overall- Not only is this good, but I have a whole growler of it!!! A delicious Red that I'm grateful to have had!

01-11-2008 00:24:18 | More by NJpadreFan
harkjohnny

i'm rather late with this review but I had this on tap at Nicholson's downtown and it reminded me of Sierra Nevada Celebration. In fact at the time the original name was Celebration Ale.

I've since had a few growlers from Jungle Jim's and though it's a quailty brew I've experienced some diacetyl like off-flavors when served from the growler. Still it's quite enjoyable and recommended. I wish the best to Mike and his future brews!

08-16-2006 17:01:36 | More by harkjohnny
StewartWatson

4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

04-12-2012 13:07:11 | More by StewartWatson
RespectTheBrew

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

I saw this beer at Party Town where I live here in Florence, KY. Picked it up this evening in the big 64oz growler (reminds me of the old Burger growlers). Smell is smoky, typical of ales. Mouthfeel is very mild for the stoutness I’ve seen with similar beers. Color is brownish red. This is a surprisingly good, very smooth, and very drinkable beer. I am very impressed. I have to admit I’m big on aesthetics, and didn’t expect much from this brew. Very good local concoct.

01-23-2006 00:13:23 | More by RespectTheBrew
DontCallMeSurly

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

Be careful of this one...it's a gusher!

As the name implies this beer pours a nice copper hue with a lot of foam. I'm talking over half the glass, but it has excellent head retention. There is a very pleasant hop aroma which was somewhat surprising; I expected to find more of a maltier scent instead. The taste was pretty decent, but fairly forgettable.

06-25-2008 00:36:58 | More by DontCallMeSurly
Puddleglum

4.72/5  rDev +21%

As a disciple of the now defunct Franconia Notch Brewery in New Hampshire I almost had a conversion experience when I tried this. Upon smelling it I was transported from a Cincinnati porch to the foothills of Mount Washington before I even had a sip. It is the closest thing to FN's River Driver Ale I have ever had and that is good thing. The aroma was a bouquet of floral hops and caramelized malt. The head laced down the glass nicely, but it was that all too rare taste of a well balanced yet not timid Amber Ale that I had only previously experienced in the River Driver that sealed the deal. The hops were full and well rounded and certainly bedded nicely with the sweet malt. There is the green, floral and astringency of the hops married with the sweet, brown, nutty, caramel malt that gives this ale a great taste without the cloying usually associated with something of this strength and sweetnes. I will be on the lookout for this one here in Cincinnati.

06-06-2007 20:27:03 | More by Puddleglum
mobyfann

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Paid $9.99 for a pre-filled growler at Keller's IGA in Clifton...

Served to guests for SUPER BOWL 42! Go Giants!

The beer pours out a slightly hazy and clear amber colored base with a medium white head, good head retention and a few specks of lacing on the glass. The aroma is very elegant in hop character and a sweet malt note, but less so than the hops.

The taste is comes off as extemely crisp where the aftertaste stays with you for a few seconds post delivery. During this aftertaste you feel the sweet malt mellow well with the hop punch at the end, but it isn't strong by any means, just a very nice one-two combination. Smooth as silk in the mouth with low carbonation, unknown abv does not matter one bit, this is tops for red ales on the market, excellent job to MCBC in Eastern Cincinnati... wow!

Final Thought: I bought this growler after filling my growler with the new release, Christian Moerlein Emancipator Doppelbock; it was a great Super Bowl!

02-04-2008 03:40:13 | More by mobyfann
kels

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

I've had this beer numerous times on-tap, and I have to admit that I've had very inconsistent experiences. The best place I've had one is at Great American Ballpark. In fact, it was delicious all summer long. The worst is at Mac's in Clifton - old, metallic and almost dusty tasting. I desperately want to love this beer and make it my standard since I really want to support our local brewing. The inconsistencies have made that difficult, though I always go back to it in the end. I believe freshness is a huge factor. This review comes from the middle-ground experience, Dewey's at the Levee.

Appearance: Pours a nice coppery brown, as the name suggests. There is a good 1-2 finger fluffy white head that reduces to a sticky 1/2 inch skim with good retention and good lacing throughout. Carbonation can be seen throughout.

Smell: The smell is incredibly faint, and what is detectable are light floral hops, a slight syrupy tone from the malts and a metallic scent. No matter where I've had this beer, I always get this slight metallic scent.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The sweet, malty profile is most pronounced in the taste, but is well balanced by a subtle citrusy, floral hop presence. The good carbonation makes this a bright and enjoyable beer, and makes it taste fuller. The same metallic scent is slightly present on the top of the tongue and in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very high. Definitely a session beer. Perfect for summer, perfect for the ballpark.

01-06-2009 07:20:00 | More by kels
brewdlyhooked13

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance - perhaps the most impressive experience ever with a growler. I purchased this at least three months ago with the assurance from the owner that his counter-filling procedures made for growlers that could be saved for a while before opening, quite a departure from the norm of 5 to 10 days that I typically hear. He was right. Upon opening, there was an escape of air, and a layer of bubbles right at the top of the growler. This thing is filled to the tippy-top! I pour into a Samuel Smith monik glass, and promptly watch 7 to 8 fingers of foam form almost instantly as I pour. Wow! The head is a neutral/almond color. As it recedes, there is a pillar in the middle that stays a little higher than around the edge of the glass. A very cool pattern of lace is woven down the glass. The beer itself has a honeyed gold appearance with moderately active beading. Filling the glass will require patience as the head is quick to regenerate.

Aroma - a powdery, kind of biscuity nose, then as it begins to settle, a honey scent emanates now and then. Almost when I'm not paying attention, it is there, but when trying to smell it on purpose, I can't. Nothing grand, but it'll work.

Taste - basic malt base, a nice dose of hops comprise the bulk of the flavor profile. Minimally sweet, they stay to the business side of bitter. Just a late break of grapefruit on the swallow, they prevail on the finish in an understated fashion. As the beer warms, the hops gain a little more citrus character for a more rounded taste. A long ending, the hop pofile lingering for quite a long moment.

Mouthfeel - very crispy, highly carbonated, this would be a great summer session beer. Average body, good levels for the style.

Drinkability - I have been delaying this growler for fear of starting a 'Celebration' of high abv brew that would do me in, but after tasting this, I have nothing to fear. It is not a high abv brew and the name isn't even 'Celebration' anymore. I'll contact the guy at Mt. Carmel for correct classification (copper ale, pale ale, amber ale). I think I had set myself up for a big beer, which this isn't. It's certainly tasty though, and worthy of another, fresher, growler-sized sample.

02-19-2006 20:06:53 | More by brewdlyhooked13
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Just getting aquainted with this brewery. The Copper Ale didn't knock my socks off, but did not offend either. Enjoyed at the Beer Sellar in Newport KY, the beer was delivered with a strongly efforvescent carbonation and a solid white head retention that faded shortly after. Brightly clear, and colered with a copper hue. Faint aromas of lightly toasted malts and hops give a light syrup aroma and sturdy hop aroma. Tastes medium with the malts, and blend well with the hops as they gain intensity. Light apple flavors rise midway through the sip. The beer weighs lightly on the palate and toung, and finishes clean despite a mild metalic flavor late. Easy drinking and pleasant.

07-01-2007 03:44:35 | More by BEERchitect
BigLittleHokis

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

08-11-2012 03:07:15 | More by BigLittleHokis
beachbum1975

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Exceptional local brew. Thick and cloudy peach to amber appearance. Pour smoothed and had a great frothy head.

The taste is far better than I had expected for a copper ale - but very enjoyable, none the less. Hops all around, but pleasant - not overwhelming. I really enjoyed this beer and intend to buy more of in the future.

Give it a try if you are in the Cincinnati area. Keep up the excellent work, Mt. Carmel Brewery!!!

09-05-2006 00:52:29 | More by beachbum1975
pumarocks

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

I picked up a growler of this at Bigg's in Western Hills, OH. I've seem Mt. Carmel Brewery around here and there at Brew HaHa and Ohio beerfest in Athens. This was the first time I got to sit down and really enjoy this exception beer from a local brewery(anyone who is from the Cincinnati area can appreciate it's rich beer history and see the irony of only having a handful of local brewers still in operation.) I am happy to see Mike and Kathleen Dewey doing a fine job and creating a wonder local product.

This is hopped up! It has a nice brown/tan color. Excellent head retention. It has a wonderful zing that dances on the tongue. It has a toasted biscuit taste about it that I really enjoy. Well done Mt. Carmel Brewery, well done. The only issue I have is how fresh the beer stays after you pop the seal. It seemed almost 24 hours after I opened it the beer was nearly flat. If this issue can be resolved this brew could be a staple in my fridge for years to come.

10-13-2007 16:21:34 | More by pumarocks
jeremy3311

03-03-2014 14:29:41 | More by jeremy3311
thistle3189

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

I had this beer this time on draft at "the works" in Loveland Ohio, (in the same county as the brewery). I have had it several times before.

A: Good color, copper is a good decryption, but light color for an amber style.

S: I did not get a lot of smell from this beer, but is seemed rather cold.

T: This beer has a little malty but mostly hops, actually more hops than expected.

M: reasonably full

D: Very good, I had a second pint

11-01-2009 21:46:11 | More by thistle3189
bergands

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Had a sample at the Gorman Farm Fest and was pleasantly suprised. I reviewed this earlier, but it must have been a bad growler. Much better this time around.

As the name states, it pours a deep copper. The malts run the show with this one. Their are some subtle hop notes that balance the lightly toasted malt flavors. I'm a fan of the hops, and this one leaves me wanting a little more. This is their best seller, but not my favorite of their offerings. A solid session brew for fans of the amber style.

05-18-2008 23:37:20 | More by bergands
pentathlete

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Deep amber with a huge frothy head that leaves plenty of lacing. Stubborn 1/4 inch remains and lacing drapes the glass long after the pour. Barley toast in the nose with just a hint of hops. Mellow malt start that segues into a hoppiness that leads to a long pleasant bitter finish. This was originally called Celebration Ale when it first came out but the name was probably changed for obvious reasons. Available in growlers from certain retail outlets and on draft at a few restaurants in the Cincinnati area. Tasty, drinkable. Hoppy for an amber, but not hoppy enough to be considered an IPA.

12-11-2005 00:59:24 | More by pentathlete
iuhophead87

Indiana

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured into a 16oz plastic cup from a tap at the Cincinnati Reds game. I was very excited to see this beer at the Great American Ball Park because I had seen it in growlers at many Cincy grocery stores, but did not want to take a risk on a growler I had never heard of before. I also thought is was odd that this beer comes in growlers and not bottles. Anyway this review is a typed version of what I wrote on a score card while trying to watch the game.

A- Although the beer was in a plastic cup I could still see that the beer was a cloudy copper color with a moderate sized head.
S- This beer smells very sweet! An overpowering caramel aroma almost drowns out the pine hop smell. Yes you can still smell the hops, but that is just an afterthought because the caramel is so overpowering.
T- Caramel, Caramel, and more Caramel! This beer is also very malty and it is very difficult to taste any hops. I do like sweet beers, but this was way to syrupy for me.
MF- This beer felt very "sticky" and was almost to malty for me to drink. Maybe it had to do with the 90 degree weather, but this beer just stuck to my tongue and was difficult to get all the way down.
D-I did not care for this beer and was let down after carrying this beer through the crowd all the way to my seat. I wanted nothing more than to enjoy this new beer and watch the game. I found myself eyeing the "bud" man to wash down this sticky copper mess, but passed and walked down to get another anyway. Although I didn't care for this beer, it was still better than drinking a macro brew out of a plastic bottle at the ballpark.

07-29-2008 02:09:54 | More by iuhophead87
atsprings

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up a growler while in Cincinnati to get away from the northern Ohio incessant rain during my vacation. Pours a nice crisp deep copper with a decent head that diminishes to a ring. The aroma is dominated by caramel with a hint of pine and citrus hops. The taste was a blend of caramel and dark malts with undertoned pine hops. The beer is light to medium bodied with decent carbonation. This growler made for a very nice session.

08-29-2007 02:55:01 | More by atsprings
XenonX

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

12-18-2013 17:33:52 | More by XenonX
ThaBobfather

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a clear amber golden color with whispy white head.
Smell has some interesting hints of maple with a dry grainy aroma.
The flavor has a crisp hop profile with a little malt on the back.
Interestingly dry aftertaste. Very grainy amber spice finish.
Very drinkable.

04-21-2009 21:26:05 | More by ThaBobfather
beerslushy

12-03-2011 18:41:30 | More by beerslushy
TheBierBand

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

I had this once at Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark while there to witness the Reds actually win a game.... (a rarity)... I sought this out because I'm all about supporting the local brewers.... THIS review, however, is from more controlled circumstances... My own growler.

Poured into my pint glass to produce a 1/2" head over the top of a rich, reddish/amber liquid. The head stuck around nicely and left VERY pronounced lacing down the glass.

The aroma is a nice combination of floral hops and carmel malt.

Taste: Here is where this one excels! The hops and malt combine to forn a rich taste that's not too heavy in either respect. Not too hoppy and not too sweet.... just right. So much going on here.... lots of great tastes mingling around.... is there a little nutty taste?.... yes, I think so.

Mouthfeel: Crisp & refreshing.... nicely carbonated.... appropriate for style. Good substance.

Drinkability: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.... Cincinnati BA's: Be on the lookout for this. With quality brews like this one, Mt. Carmel Brewing Co. is one to support! NOW, get out there and do your duty... Drink More Bier!

08-03-2007 11:38:33 | More by TheBierBand