Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,968 | Reviews: 1,315
1.49/5  rDev -63.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Good wheat german beer taste

2.34/5  rDev -42.2%

I just finished reading all 160+ reviews. Because I just finished my second bottle of this "natural wheat" hefe. I too was expecting more of this beer. After the buildup, it was a major disappointment. Yes, everyone else raved about it. Yes, I am comitting sacrilege by saying something negative. But I must point out that FOR ME, it was not a satisfying experience. For a hefeweizen, the bitterness, and the lack of drinkability was amazing. Definitely not smoooth. I keep reading about how it tasted like: Lemon. Banana. Clove. Bubblegum (?) Bread. Orange. Wheat. Grass-like. Pepper. Malt. Acerbic. Phenols. Yeast.

Everyone kept saying "drink this beer if you want to know what a hefe is SUPPOSED to taste like."

WHY has no one mentioned that IT TASTES LIKE SOMEONE ADDED A FEW DROPS OF TURPENTINE?! I distinctly taste pine! Is that normal for a Hefe? Sorry, guys! but this beer is nasty.

2.4/5  rDev -40.7%

Give something a head and it comes alive. Give it a body and it's an animal of sorts. Give it a name and it's an historical fact. Give it fungus and sweetness and it becomes a hefe-weizen. This beer and its cohorts are just not for me. Sweet malty bread in a bottle may be European for purity and beer but to me it's the last stage before candy goes stale and cannot be consumed for enjoyment. Enjoyment to me is a confidence of similar likes. There is no need to force it together for an expected end, it'll just happen. This isn't happening for me on any level.

2.41/5  rDev -40.5%

This is my first review of a wheat ale and I learned that this style is not for me. I found the taste to have lots of spice and lemon zest but throw together in a kinda unpleasant way. The appearance was good, decent foamy head and the beer itself a nice copper color. I think i can appreciate this brew, it seemed really complex and well done, just not what im looking for in a brew.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

While the color is a very nice hazy orange, with a nice fluffy white head, the taste was a bit lacking. The smell was also a bit too much like a light beer in my opinion, but then again that could be my bad sense of smell. Just more to be desired from a hefeweizen.

2.55/5  rDev -37%

Served on draught into a 33cl Paulaner glass in France. Price was 3.50 euro.

A: Pours a two finger head of soft delicate cream, good thickness, and great retention. Colour is a hazy orange.

Sm: Orange and lemon peel. A mild strength aroma.

T: Orange and lemon peel ester hops with a curtailing nasty finish. Muted and bland for the style. Simple and poorly built, but balanced.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Far too wet. Not really complementary of the flavours.

Dr: Easy to drink, but lacking flavour. A high price by French standards.

2.62/5  rDev -35.3%

12 oz brown bottle with best by date

a - golden, cloudy, foamy head. lots of visible yeast! bottom of glass is crystal clear and the middle is all cloudy yeast. very interesting!

s - noticable wheat with a hint of lemon and other spices. tiny bit of yeast on nose.

t - not enough wheat! some yeast. this is actually fairly watery.

m - light bodied with a very weak finish.

notes: this has to be a bad bottle. that or paulaner just isn't nearly as good as everyone here says it is.

2.63/5  rDev -35.1%

Apricot color, nose a little stale corn but where we feel the yellow fruit (especially bananas) which somehow tries to point the tip of his nose, but without much success. The taste is slightly sweet with a slight bitterness with an additional finish virtually nonexistent.

2.66/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer doesn't have much of an aroma.
The appearance is nice and saturated. It's also foggy.
It has a fairly strong wheat beer taste, with a poor aftertaste.
The mouthfeel is great, but is slightly too bubbly.
I would not buy a six pack of Hefe-Weisen Natural Wheat beer.

2.67/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very good color, could be a good weissbier if there were more taste and aromas.

2.68/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thick 3 finger head, hazy body that is tangerine sunburst orange.
Banana and yeast, some light lemon, not the strongest aromatics from a Hefe, but not dead as water.
Flavors are the estery yeast and banana you expect from the aroma, but honestly kinda faint and watery, i was expecting a more upfront full bodied texture and flavors, but this one is sailing at half mast.

I've had alot of much better hefes, just grab a Weihenstephaner.

2.69/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

I'm probably going against the grain a bit here, but this beer didn't do much for me.

Just finished my second bottle, drank it from a hefeweizen glass. I found it to be quite bland and almost watery. No real noticeable flavors popped out at me. Maybe I got a bad batch, but this beer was a real letdown for me Honestly, even Blue Moon tastes better in my opinion and I'm a big hefeweizen fan; at the moment, Allagash White is still my trophy beer, with White Rascal and Wisteria Wheat tied for second. Paulaner doesn't even come close, there's just not much flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Standard Hefeweizen taste. Didn't blow me away. Pretty color and light carbonation. solid 3/5 for me.

2.77/5  rDev -31.6%

Tried the Paulaner Hefe-Wiess on tap at the local bar.

Poured a nice hazy blond with a one finger head, and had a nice smell. Overall first impression was favorable.

Taste was dry and not to malty on the front end, pretty bland as I would like to taste more of the wheat flavors. On the back end the taste was strongly influenced by the yeast with fruit and a lemony flavor. Way too much yeast influence.

For my tastes I found the beer way out of balance.

2.79/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a dark orange yellow color with a thick white head that doesn't go away, tons of lacing. Smells of oranges and wheat. Tastes a little like banana and oranges that have spoiled and some wheat. Mouthfeel is nice and drinkability is nice. A very common beer in my area.

2.81/5  rDev -30.6%

Appearance: hazy straw. Modest head that stays the duration.

Aroma: typical wheat beer aroma. Slight noble hop aroma

Taste: not impressed. Banana flavors combined with typical hefe yeast wierdness. Slightly sour. I don't like hefes

Mouthfeel: undercarbed. Too heavy

Drinkability: if you don't like hefes like me stay away

2.83/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle just a few days before drink before date, maybe had an effect on rating.

a: cloudy/hazy; medium orangish/rust with very minimal head and limited head retention

s: appley yeast flavor comes through the w/ a little bit of rusty/iron smell; overall not too fragrant

t: sort of thick bloody/irony flavor first to come through; followed by hints of hoppiness and finishing with yeasty/malty sweetness; slightly unpleasant wineyness present as well

m: nicely carbonated and light but slightly syrupy/cloying for style

d: ultimately a pretty flavorless beer and a little too cloying to be a good session as well

2.86/5  rDev -29.4%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's (dated 10/04 :( )

Appearance: Ridiculous amount of carbonation. I couldn't even get the entire thing down without overflow. Head stays for a long time. Nice golden honey color.

Smell = Rather malty with a strong display of fruits. A little smokey too.

Taste = Not too impressed. A sour tangy taste, almost like whiskey. You can really taste the alcohol. Reminds me of the single malt smoked whiskey that Johnny Walker uses in their Black Label. There just doesn't seem to be enough flavor and variety in the palate department. It's light and easy drinkable though.

Overall = I've had much better HefeWeizen's. This one isn't awful but I can't really recommend it and don't see why it's rated so high.

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Pale gold color, very hazy. Medium head. Aroma is banana and yeasty. A mild flavored hefe-weizen. Mild malts, some banana and clove flavor. Smooth taste. A touch citrusy. Lively carbonation. Well balanced. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter.

2.94/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Food Pairing: (1)Tuna steamed with some vegetables. Good compliment to the beer, but the food was missing a starch component which I think would have put the pairing over the top. (2)Bananas sauteed with some brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon. The citrus bitterness contradicted the sweetness of the bananas, just enough to dominate and not wholly compliment the food's flavor.
A - Cloudy golden / light yellow-orange, very nice. Abundant pillowy head which settled to nothing and left little to no lacing. Disappointing.
S - Vanilla wafers, sugar cookies, apples. Interesting. Almost like a white wine.
T - Faint vanilla and orange. Lime zest, lemon, banana. Star fruit quite prominent. Yeast flavor very present- overstated. Not nearly as sweet as I expected from the aroma.
M- Light, but bitter. Somewhat sour. Citrusy hops linger well after the swallow, with yeastyness clinging throughout the mouth if care isn't taken to enjoy at a leisurely pace.
O- Given this beer's glowing reputation here and elsewhere, I can't help but wonder if I received a mishandled bottle. The main issue involves my limited experience with this style, which prevents me from properly appreciating or assessing it. Worth another look down the road.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Reviewed 4/3/2006 (Tap @ Sherlock's, Clear Lake, Houston, TX):

Pours a cloudy yellow~orange colored body with a smallish head, white, small bubbles, and semi-decent lacing. Slight aroma of malts, perfume. Light tasting, citrus, lemon. Fresh tasting, kind of watery, sweet.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Pint from Naja's Place in Redondo Beach

Poured an orangish brown with a 1/2 inch silky white head

Smell was full of oranges and lemons

Taste was a little sweet, but full of wheat, hey that rhymed and I did not try to do that

Could drink a fair amount of these, but sweetness get to you after a while

Tastes very much like Hoegarden. Banana flavours.

A Drinkable but not memorable beer

3.01/5  rDev -25.7%

11.2oz bottle into SN tulip pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy citrus amber color with a huge, dense, light cream colored head that slowly faded into a thick film leaving a few spots of lacing behind.
S: I get notes of chalky minerals, clove, and a bit of banana. There is a hint of peppery wheat as well. Not very potent or sweet.
T: A bit more roasted flavors than I’m used to in a heff, but I still get the classic notes of banana, wheat, and clove. There is something medicinal as well, and I also get definite notes of peppery spices. It’s sweet, but not overly so.
M: Medium-thick body but a thinnish, almost watery mouthfeel and very low carbonation. This could be fuller.
O: I was expecting better based on the reviews. It’s not bad at all, just not mind blowing. There was something in the flavor that I just didn’t love.

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG