Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier NaturtrübPaulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a cloudy medium yellow with a two finger white head that lasts for ages and leaves notable lacing. Smells of wheat and lemon, with yeast and spices as well. Taste is smooth, with a wheat bite in the midst of a malty base, with tones of plum, banana, and citrus in the background. Mouthfeel is impeccable, with marked carbonation and a nice body. Drinkability is great, these go down nice and easy.

02-13-2006 04:23:10 | More by Mandrake
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Last night, my wife and I split a bottle, paired with a lemony salmon and asparagus. We enjoyed it immensely, it was easily my favorite hefeweisen I've tried to date.

A: a hazy golden/amber color with a thick white head

S: bready and citrus-like. Cloves very identifiable.

T: wow - exceptional. Crisp and clean, with a complex yeasty & spicy flavor. I likened it to a belgian - like a saison almost.

M: carbonation 'tingle' put me off just a little.

D: it paired so well with our dinner, I wished we'd had another bottle (or two). yes, definitely very drinkable...

02-09-2006 23:05:54 | More by msubulldog25
ashleyshalyn

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz glass bottle poured into a hefe-weizen glass.

A: A gorgeous cloudy sun-kissed straw color with a frothy one finger head that fades to a thin layer with nice lacing.

S: Wow. Immediately I notice an aroma that reminds me of my childhood... candied orange peels. This sugary orange scent is married to a full yeast scent. Right now all I can think of is running to a bakery and grabbing a sweet roll and covering it in orange marmalade.

M: Thin but satisfying. This is not a beer style that is meant to be too full. It is light in body with a mild carbonation. The finish on this hefe is longer than most.

T: The hop flavor is very evident and welcome, but it is quickly matched mid palate with a borage of coriander and yeasty bread. The hop resurfaces in the finish.

It seems to me that in the past 360 some odd years that the Paulaner monks did something right lol. This is truly a standup representation of a hefe-weizen and I would highly recommend it to people that are trying to become more accustomed to the style.

02-05-2006 03:24:27 | More by ashleyshalyn
krendelfish

Kentucky

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

One of the best beers I have ever drank, truily a beer to sit back and enjoy. Has a very fruity, rich taste to it. Looks cloudy, but has not darkness to it. Has absolutely no bitter aftertaste, very smooth and hardy. Very good with any meal or any festivity. It is hard to find a mass produced beer of such high standards. One beer I can compare it too, however is Hoegaarden, and I equally reccomend it.

02-03-2006 21:04:04 | More by krendelfish
jaluria

Connecticut

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow-golden color with bunches of white colored foam that slowly dissipated and left behind some lacing in my 24 oz. Hefe Weizen cup. Aromas of grains, butter, bananas, and yeast seemed to come out; nothing extraordinary or different from other beers in this style. The taste was rather sharp and even biting, but refreshing with various fruity flavors that changed over time and generated a slightly sweet aftertaste. Lingering sourness in the back of my throat, but it wasn't bad. The drinkability takes a hit because it was closer to a sipping beer than a session or gulping beer. Flavorful and dry, it paired nicely with some fresh cheese on-hand.

02-02-2006 21:34:15 | More by jaluria
xduderx

Tennessee

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Many people I know call hefe's "girl beer" but the hefe is not to be ignored!

A = a very cloudy, apricot color with a 1/2" fluffy white head

S = bananas, clove and sweetness

T = Very complex with a definite banana taste and overall sweetness

M = light bodied and refreshing

D = Very high. I can sip these all day long. even if you're not a beer drinker, you can still enjoy these.

01-24-2006 21:44:44 | More by xduderx
skillerified

4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Interesting hazy yellow-orange color. It almost glows. Large, fluffy white head. Lots of fast moving carbonation. Somehow, the color reminds me of an apricot. I don't know why or if that's even what an apricot looks like, but that's what it makes me think of.

Mmhm, that smells really good. Fruity and floral. It's definitely similar to banana, but there's so much more going on. A second deeper sniff reveals the subtle spicy character. It actually has a beautiful simplicity too, if that makes any sense.

Mmhm, that tastes really good. Wheat and grains come first and are followed closely by a distinct banana flavor. This banana flavor is much more distinct than the banana scent. Gets a little spicy at the finish. It seems to alternate between wheat flavor, fruit flavor, and then spice flavor. It's really good. It gets a little caramel as it warms too.

Light bodied with a nice creaminess too. Kind of a strange combination. Carbonation is not nearly as aggresive as it looks. This beer definitely favors the sweet part of the tongue, but it's not overly sweet either. There is almost no bitterness. Good medium length finish too.

This is a fine beer with a high drinkability. I'll be buying more.

01-20-2006 09:57:16 | More by skillerified
casualbeerman

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Well this is my third wheat beer, and the third time in 3 tries I find myself thinking "I bet I could give someone who says they don't like beer one of these and they'd gladly drink the whole bottle". So now I'm thinking wheat beers are pretty much the easiest drinking beers around. Anyway-
Appearance was ok. The is bright white and disapates very quickly. The color is a light and slightly cloudy brown. It reminds me a lot of (non alcoholic) sparkling cider. Smell is not very strong, slightly sour, a little bit of malted grain. Taste was definately good. Its slightly sweet, with a little bit of malted wheat and yeast. Mostly its dominated by the notes which are a bit of sour tang, with suggestions of apple, bannana, and a tiny bit of orange. Mouthfeel gets some extra points because I have something extra to describe. Its easy drinking, not too thick, mildly carbonated, but its also a bit grainy. I guess that's the unfiltered yeast. This doesn't detract from the drinkability at all. Its medium body, and pleasant taste make it very drinkable. You could definately do a session with this so long as the unfiltered yeast doesn't bother you, and it didn't bother me even though its the first time I noticed this in a beer. So I am assuming it won't bother most other people. Also, this is the LEAST bitter beer I've ever had. You can't taste the alcohol either. Smirnoff Triple Black is more of an acquired taste than this.
Bottom line- If you like beer, give it a try. It's good, though its different than normal lagers and ales. If you like wheat beer this is definately worth a try. And like I said if you don't like beer, well you wouldn't have signed up to read reviews on a site called beeradvocate, but if you're reading this over someone's shoulder Paulaner Hefe-Weizen is worth a shot anyway. The taste is that easy to like. Hacker-Pschorr is still better IMO though.

01-13-2006 03:31:08 | More by casualbeerman
nicksta

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I have been wainting to try this for a while. Every time I visit the grocery store I always eye it down. Any way it pours a cloudy orange gold color with a big, but short lived, head. The smell is good, strong and citrusy. The taste is pretty "okay". It is strong, but not like the smell. The smell is citrus and the taste, with this being my first Hefe Weizen, I will assume is a strong wheat (and banana?). This taste really grows on you the more you drink. The mouthfeel is a little thick but the carbonation sticks to your mouth badly. The drinkability isn't to badly marred by the strong, unfamiliar taste. I just needed to let it warm up a bit. On the whole a good beer if your used to it. It will take me a few more to get used to it.

12-31-2005 05:16:49 | More by nicksta
Tupperwolf

Washington

Pours from a greenish-brown 12oz bottle into my hefe glass, a dark amber/gold that doesn't have the swirling clouds I expect, but is certainly opaque. A white head of volatile bubbles rises quickly and dies out over a couple of moments, fading to a thin covering. Lacing is too slippery to linger.

Smell is a little subtle, but carries the classic whiffs of sweetness and spice - bananas, cloves.

More cloves in the taste, with a very thin caramel/marshmallow body. All the right tastes for this classic style, but it doesn't kick me in the mouth with fruit flavors like Franziskaner does.

Mouthfeel carries a nice, tight, wispy carbonation that cleanses the palate of everything but a lingering sweetness, which I welcome. This beer has a fullness which is also appropriate for a hefeweizen - not watery, not chewy.

All in all, a quality, classic weissbier - A solid 4. Nothing really wowed me, but nothing stops me from enjoying this one.

12-30-2005 00:57:01 | More by Tupperwolf
ColoradoBobs

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

This review courtesy of daughter-of-ColoradoBobs.

On tap at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver, CO, December 21, 2005.

Beer came to the table with minimal head, but I watched the bar-tender pour off most of the original huge head as he drew it. Beautiful cloudy orange, with sticky lacing.

Smell was all grass, clove, orange, hay -- mmm.

Taste was more of the same, and the banana came up as well. MMM!

Nice round mouthfeel, really good for a Hefeweizen.

Could drink these all night. Not filling at all.

Overall, a bit better on tap than in a bottle, but then that's what you expect.

12-23-2005 00:56:09 | More by ColoradoBobs
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

330ml bottle poured into a Pilsner glass. Bottle dated 11-05. Bit of dust on this one, hope it's still good....

I Love the look of this one! Murky copper colour, beautiful carbonation, huge, fluffy off-white head. Really delicious looking! Smell is all banana and yeasty goodness, very bready... I'm so looking forward to tasting this one....

Taste is so mellow I want to sink into the floor. Wonderful banana and pear, wheaty, cloves, and a hint of lemony sourness that is never at the forefront. Mouthfeel is slightly spicy, yet still incredibly smooth on the tongue and in the throat. This is a great Hefeweizen, very drinkable, and highly recommended. I wish it was summer!

12-22-2005 04:42:52 | More by trevorwideman
ski271

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a very cloudy medium amber with a medium, antique white, foamy, slowly diminishing head. Very good lacing. It has a very pleasant wheat aroma over a light malt backbone, with aromas of banana, nut bread, cilantro and light peach. The flavor has a very good balance to it, pronounced wheat flavors that follow with the aroma except for being a little bubble-gum-like and with a more citrus finish. It has a medium body, lightly syrupy texture and soft carbonation. A well-rounded hefe that has enough flavor to keep the palate interested without burning it out after a couple bottles. Quite enjoyable.

12-21-2005 21:37:18 | More by ski271
Chadbrew

Delaware

Thanks Biglove!
A - Big frothy head that eventually drops to a couple mls of very tight foam. Somewhat cloudy strawberry blond beer.
A - Sweet wheat and undertones of banana and clove, also yeast... earthy and spicy.
T - Smooth right off the start with a spicy bite in the finish that leaves a dry clove-like finish that gets more distinctive as it warms in the goblet.
M - Good and velvety.
D - I am definitely glad this is in a big bottle because it is plenty drinkable.

12-10-2005 20:42:53 | More by Chadbrew
kbnooshay

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Lovely. This poured a gorgeous orange copper color. It was very cloudy and hazy. Great head that doesn't last long. The smell is fruity and sweet w/clove and yeast aromas. The taste is similar and insanely smooth. The carbonation is too much though, it feels like i am drinking an alka seltzer. Tastes a tad watery but it is still slick and creamy. The banana flavor is there but not as strong as i would prefer. Maybe i got a bad bottle but this isn't close to a franziskaner. Quite drinkable.

12-10-2005 05:22:17 | More by kbnooshay
cokes

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Somewhere between orange and golden with a modest (for a weizen) eggshell capping.
This is an archetype. Scented of wheat bran, banana pudding, vanilla, clove and pepper. Likewise, the taste ensues with the hallmarks of banana-wheat muffins, adorned with the aformentioned vanilla and clove. Rides out with a drying lemon-peppery blast and some brown leaf hopping.
It's a bit flat in feel, but otherwise, this is a spot-on version that seeming has become the mold for many a version.
This is the basic model done very well. Uniqueness is absent (because this is so largely considered THE example); harmony, drinkability, and efficiency are key.

12-06-2005 07:42:16 | More by cokes
ClearDog

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Served in a weiss glass.

Appearance -- Poured light gold with a creamy two and a half finger head.

Smell -- Very pleasant. I get sweet scents . . . cloves are present; fresh cut wheat. I've heard a lot of people can pick up banana, however I cannot.

Taste -- Semi-tart. Lemon-citrus.

Mouthfeel -- Tight carbonation that hits your tongue. Medium feel.

Drinkability -- This is my favorite German weiss when compared to Franziskauner or Hacker-Pschorr. I can easily throw back a few of these in one sitting. I have very fond memories from college when I was back at my parents’ home on their deck throwing back a few of these beers with my brother. Very sessionable.

I didn't have this one with a lemon. In the past I always took my weiss with a lemon. Some say this is a faux pax, however I think it adds something. I like the way the beer looks and tastes with lemon. It appears a little cloudier than with out the lemon.

12-03-2005 03:38:39 | More by ClearDog
JohnW

United Kingdom (England)

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I love this. I love most Hefe Weissbiers, but to have this served on tap in a German Bar in Germany is like being in heaven! Brilliant white head, amazing aroma, crisp clean, fruity - banana and spices... amazing. A slightly drier after taste than some Hefe Weissbiers (I think Unertl takes the prize for the driest Hefe) Not sure I could class it as a session beer, maybe a bit to carbonated for that with me, but it would not stop me trying!

If you enjoy Hefe Weissbiers, this must come close to the top of the list, together with Andechs, Erdinger and Schneider.

John W
Bham UK

11-23-2005 21:58:11 | More by JohnW
daliandragon

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Perhaps the most impressive head I've ever seen in a Hefe Weizen..a full colony of thick, aromatic foam. The color is a mellow orange tinged gold and the smell is a classic banana and clove mix with a core of wheat. The visibility isn't quite opaque; more like translucent, but there's still plenty of sediment. This is a beer I'm excited to taste, even if it isn't really Hefe season in mid November.
A fresh taste lined with vanilla, banana, cloves, and yeast. This is extremely quenching and also easy to drink. Carbonation is barely evident, which is a huge plus for me, especially with such a light colored beer.
This is a terrific summer beer that doesn't embarass itself in the late fall as well. Maybe the finest Bavarian Hefe, although I'm sure Franziskaner and Erdinger would have something to say about that as well.

11-20-2005 02:45:06 | More by daliandragon
burnstar

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Pint at Zeno's. Dark orangish and cloudy with a huge head that refuses to go away- this is one nice looking beer. Smell is fruity and citrusy. Taste is sweet and spicy with lots of fruit complexities, perhaps some banana flavor. Really quite good- how a hefeweizen should taste. Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied, and nicely carbonated. Definitely drinkable. One could definitely have several of these at a time.

11-18-2005 06:51:26 | More by burnstar
Gaben

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Ive had this stuff on tap over at Old Chicago a couple weeks ago. Was pretty happy with how smooth it was, I mean when you think of most hefenweizer's all you think about it floating wheat/yeast.

I would say the appearance is great , Im a huge fan of gettin tanked and have a floater. The smell was someone average reminded me somewhat of a bluemoon smell but a bit differnt.

Now taste was the best part of the beer , I was slammin down a 20oz monster mug with some pizza and other foods ... mixed very well and did have the smooth, rich , and hefenweizer taste to it

As for both mouthfeel and drinkability would be very high, I could drink this stuff in the day time and still want more. Really is one of the smoother Hefe Weizen's out there. You fans gotta give this one a shot.

11-07-2005 06:24:33 | More by Gaben
jamesdergen

3.78/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Pours nice hazy, honey color with a decent foamy head and bubbles streaming up throughout.

Smell: Bananas, wheat and honey.

Taste: Lots of grassy wheat, candy banana and bubblegum with a hint of cloves. Unfortunately, all of these flavors are subdued by the taste of tap water. It kind of tastes watered down.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, but not overwhelming. Light-bodied and refreshing and finished clean.

Drinkability: Yeah, I'll finish this one off. Nothing inhibits it, smooth light taste and a clean finish. Not bad.

This was the last hefeweizen in my fridge. I figured I had better finish it off before it got REALLY cold outside. Obviously, it would have been better on a hot humid day, but still a good wheat beer.

11-01-2005 22:39:05 | More by jamesdergen
UberWasser

Arizona

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz greenish-brown bottle, no freshness date, served in a Weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a murky light amber. Head forms nicely at about three fingers when poured as a Weizen should be. It slowly dissipates to a thin layer that stays for a long time. No lacing is found, but with a beer like this, I actually somewhat like that…it gives it a clean look. Nice looking.

Smell? Lovely. Bananas come through very prominently. Behind them are other fruits, like maybe apple or peach, but they smell particularly like they do when juiced and sugar is added. Lovely.

Taste is even better! Bananas are the strongest flavor, but again, fruits come though and sweeten up this beer nicely. There is also a nice mild citrus bitterness that sets this off nicely. It really plays nicely in the mouth and you look forward to the next sip. Only when it warms quite a bit does the alcohol come through, adding a spicy zing. Mouthfeel is thick and slick with enough carbonation to be fun. Nice.

Great banana flavors, as one would expect, but it has several other layers of complexity that I really like. Yummy and oh-so drinkable!

10-21-2005 06:01:18 | More by UberWasser
BigRedN

Nebraska

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Poured from the produced on 0605 bottle into a weizen glass a murky yellowish, brown. Depending on the pour the soft fluffy white head is anywhere from 1-inch to 2-inches (I supposed a really hard pour could get you a whole mess of foam). Head slowly melted to a nice thick covering with good lacing. Carbonation bubbles can be seen. Very nice looking an inviting. Tempted to give a 5, but I'll hold back for now.

Smell: Typical hefe, not above and beyond. Banana, spiced (mostly clove). Some malt and yeast. Not overly bready though.

Taste: Now this is hefeweizen. Not like the American pretenders (Widmer comes to mind). Big, bold, yeasty, malty, just good.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium bodied. Some alcohol warming effects during consumption (towards the end). Not just a summer beer, good no matter what the weather.

Drinkability: Very good, nice to have just a couple at a time (don't want to have too much of a good thing). I just wish this was not so expensive (at least according to my wallet).

10-18-2005 02:50:58 | More by BigRedN
Domingo

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +4%

A *very* solid Hefe, that's shockingly common at restaurants or bars if you look for it.
Pours a nice yellow-tan color...slightly less cloudy than some Hefe's, but with a darker color as well.
Smell is slightly more subdued than I expected, but the trademark banana/clove is still there.
Flavor is nice and VERY bold. The banana/clove doesn't entirely steal the show. There's some definite grain and a little extra sweetness that I really appreciated. This is terrific.
The head wasn't really profound and tended to dissipate a little, but the mouthfeel was still solid. On tap, you'll find the head to have a little more staying power.
Drinkability is maxed out. A lot of US restaurants will have this brew on tap for the fall (Oktoberfest) and I take full advantage of it. The import we get tastes just like drinking it in Munich. Freshness makes ALL the difference with imports.

A perfect compliment to a nice meal. I actually paired it with a Thai Sri Ra Cha dish and found it to be excellent. It would also make a really nice after dinner drink, too.

Edit: This is one of my favorite weissbiers, even in a place like Munich where they're everywhere. The fact that it's so common is nice, and it's even in cans now. It's easy to sleep on this because it's so common, but it's probably the 2nd best (behind Weihenstephaner) weissbier that's *easily* attainable in the US.

10-13-2005 15:43:21 | More by Domingo