Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier NaturtrübPaulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer pours a nice light orange hefe weizen color with yeast streamers in it. It had what I thought was a rather large and creamy head for most weizens which was pretty smooth. The aroma smelled of yeast and was fruity in nature. I couldn't detect any kind of ester aroma to it though, which was kind of a let down because I like a hint of spice with my weizens. The taste was similar, and had a nice crisp taste with a full body. This beer had a bit more smoothness to it than some weizens I've had. The mouthfeel was slightly thick with a medium carbonation. The drinkability was good, save for my own opinion that I would want a bit more spice to it. Otherwise, this is a good beer and I would definately recommend it to anyone to try.

jdmorgan, Apr 08, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a five-finger white head that fades to a thin layer leaving traces of lace. Nearly clear light amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Yeasty nose. Starts with a wheat-yeast flavor, nice clean finish. Good example of a hefe-weizen. $1.50 for a 12 oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Apr 05, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

Perhaps 4th or 5th on my list of preferred hefes. Wonderful cloudy orange with a thick bright white head, tiny carbonation that never dies, and one hell of a luscious creamy body. Aromas of bananas and cloves are intense to say the least. Mouthfeel is exceptionally rich and almost milkshake like. Flavors of dark fruits balance the twangy citrus and wheat. Very refreshing and enjoyable. Drinkable in the extreme.

DaPeculierDane, Apr 03, 2006
4.93/5  rDev +22%

Picked up a 6 of this today at the beer store, since I like Hefe-Weizens I figured this would be a good choice, and right I was.

This poured a nice Hefe-Weizen cloudy yellow with vigorous head that subsided quickly. Smell is of citrus and delicious wheat malt, absolutely perfect. Flavors of tasty wheat malt with a slightly tart edge make the taste of this stuff just perfect.
It's smooth and easy to drink. Brewing perfection. Best example of a Hefe-Weizen I've ever had.

funkengruven, Mar 31, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Awesome, vigorous head, lots of carbonation rising up, hazy golden hue, lots of good lacing that kinda slides down

Smell: Tart, hoppy

Taste: wheat of course, citrusy, bit of floral, crisp and refreshing

Mouthfeel: medium thick, definitely a thick beer next to American lager BY FAR course it is a hefe weizen

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable but I might get tired of the lightness of it after a while

CaskofFlyingDog, Mar 25, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

On tap served without any fruit on the rim. Hooray! This is a very good beer.

A—hazy, orange, some yellow, with ½ inch bright white foamy head, fades away in a few minutes, light lacing remains as I drink

S—wheat and fruit are dominate, citrus is faint nice aroma

T—wheat and citrus are strong, tart, mild vanilla, very tasty

M—crisp, light/medium bodied, moderate carbonation

D—a great summer brew, very drinkable, a classic hefe! I will enjoy this all summer long.

hanco005, Mar 23, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

.5 litres poured into my frozen Erdinger Weissbierglas. Paulaner pours yellow-orange, similar to Hacker Pschorr, just a touch less orange and cloudy. Lots of hefe sediment in bottle swished out with the last 2-3 ozs.
I immediately smell cloves and banannas. First pull is a little shocking if you're used to American weizens, H-P or Erdinger. It tastes like you're drinking something from a bakers oven. Not bad, just not particularly refreshing....
and that's why I squeeze a small lemon wedge and throw it through the head. One or two more pulls and I'm in the middle of one of the best thirst cutting weizens I've tasted! The lemon really mellows out the cloviness and compliments it at the same time.

*For the perfect pour, cut off some of the shiny lemon rind so that it imparts less bitterness.* As you near the bottom of your glass you will swear that this is nectar from heaven!

I can (and have) had sessioning quantities of this very fine weisbier on tap in Germany and can attest to it's consistent perfection. However, in Germany it really says 'Hefeweizen Naturtrub' on a(different) off-white label and it tastes a little different than this bottle. I think that the one we get in USA (and the one I reviewed here) is just called Hefe-Weizen.

weizendoc, Mar 20, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours an opaque cloudy yellow-orange. Somewhat dull color, but pours with a stately bright white head, firm and somewhat sticky.

Smells sweet and yeasty. A little musty.

Sweet yeasty flavor, tangy and tart. Wheat lends a chewed-Cheerio sweetness. Juicy.

Creamy, smooth, with mellow carbonation. Light body makes this quite drinkable.

Not the most interesting beer but tasty nonetheless. No date on the bottle, so I'm going to assume this was a lot better a few weeks ago.

akahn, Mar 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

I used to not be that into hefs, and I'm still not exactly into them, but since I've been drinking more German beers I realize they do just about everything right. This one pours an excellent bright neon yellow color, almost like the generic looking blonde hair of many cartoon characters. Big long lasting head, nice and pure white. Smells lightly dusty, yeasty, with plenty of citrussy lemons, and banana bread. All of this comes out beautifully in the taste as well. Lemon meringue, banana bread, blended in with a light maltiness and a spicy hop boquet. Bubbly but satisfying mouthfeel. I find this beer to be really refreshing, which is probably the main reason I like it. It's tasty enough, but this is the kind of beer I crave sometimes after a long day of pouring pints for other people. Really hits the spot.

twelvsies, Mar 15, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -4%

Served in a weissbier glass at just over fridge temperature. Paired nicely with chorizo sausage and brown rice, dressed with salsa.

Produced 05/05.

Appearance- A smaller than expected head floats atop a cloudy gold puree of a hefeweizen. After reducing to a thin mat, some moderate lacing is left behind.

Smell- A milder banana scent accompanies phenols and clove to exhibit a typical, predictable aroma for the style. Understated, but certainly pleasurable.

Taste- Yeast, cloves, and bananas outline the wheaty character in the taste... easy and very food-friendly. Not as big or bold as Weihenstaphaner, but that's what is great about this beer... it showcases restraint, while offering the goods.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Sharper than I expected, but the billowing foam envelops the entire mouth leaving behind a mild, easy finish. Quaffable as heck, yet I have my favorites for the style... very nice overall.

yelterdow, Mar 14, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Shows a rich golden color, darker than most hefe's and there is a very slight caramel smoothness that follows. Aroma is bananna and a little bit of clove. Slightly acidic in mouthfeel, medium carbonation, nice head that quickly dissapears, hints of bananna in the finish. Hops are light, little aroma or perceived bitterness to this beer. Certainly not the best hefe I have had, but potable. Fransikaner is my personal number one and it was even cheaper at the store, so...

ahking, Mar 07, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a tap, into a standard pint glass with a wedge of lemon.

Poured hazy, with a light straw color. Very fluffy white head, probably a full finger in height.

Nose was bready/yeasty, with some citrus notes.

Taste was pretty standard for a Hefe, clean, very bready with notes of
citrus. Smooth from start to finish.

Very drinkable, medium bodied...basically a "staple" sort of beer in my mind, one that's easy to come back to when you can't decide on something else.

briman, Mar 01, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Produced on date 08-05.

Pours a pale orange/straw color with a creamy two finger head that settles to a thin cap, and leaves behins a really nice webbing of lace.

Smell; oranges and lemons, ripe bananas and bubblegum. There's a nice bready/yeasty aroma, with a bit af a grassy/hay quality to it. The smell is really inviting, I have to make myself take a sip.

Taste; nice hints of oranges and lemons without being overly powerful. Ripe bananas stand out, as well as bread dough. I like how the wheat comes out without being heavy, as well as a nice spiciness with cloves in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a nice carbonation that makes this vary easy to drink.

I cna't believe that I avoided this style so much until recently. Between this and the Weihenstephaner, I am definitley becoming a fan of this style of beer.

RedHaze, Feb 24, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours hazy amber with a decent white foamy head. Head retention good, lacing excellent

S: Bubble gum & bandaids and not much else.

Taste: Yeast, bubblegum, fruittyness and some floral taste

MF: Slick, very good carbonation

Drinkable enough, but strong tastes with no countertastes are not my cup of tea. Classic to the style though

russpowell, Feb 22, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a beutiful golden orange reddish color with a massive head the disapaits fairly quickly.
Has a very sweet smell with hints of fruits and malts.
Best balanced hefe's I have had, has the perfect amount of everything, can taste the fruits, wheat, malt, and hops. Not too complex though. Carbonation was a wee bit heavy but goes down great none the less.
GIve me another what I can say to drinkability.

MrHolland, Feb 19, 2006

Produced on 08/05

Extremely well made beer. Slightly amber in color with a killer head. Aroma is potent- sweet and rich, favoring banana although clove-y phenols are there for balance. Palate is malty yet crisp, and flavorful as well. Cloves and toasty malt linger on the finish.

This may be my favorite hefe-weizen; it is not too one dimensional nor overly phenolic and complex- it seems to be the best of both worlds.

TongoRad, Feb 18, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a cloudy medium yellow with a two finger white head that lasts for ages and leaves notable lacing. Smells of wheat and lemon, with yeast and spices as well. Taste is smooth, with a wheat bite in the midst of a malty base, with tones of plum, banana, and citrus in the background. Mouthfeel is impeccable, with marked carbonation and a nice body. Drinkability is great, these go down nice and easy.

Mandrake, Feb 13, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +15.1%

Last night, my wife and I split a bottle, paired with a lemony salmon and asparagus. We enjoyed it immensely, it was easily my favorite hefeweisen I've tried to date.

A: a hazy golden/amber color with a thick white head

S: bready and citrus-like. Cloves very identifiable.

T: wow - exceptional. Crisp and clean, with a complex yeasty & spicy flavor. I likened it to a belgian - like a saison almost.

M: carbonation 'tingle' put me off just a little.

D: it paired so well with our dinner, I wished we'd had another bottle (or two). yes, definitely very drinkable...

msubulldog25, Feb 09, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz glass bottle poured into a hefe-weizen glass.

A: A gorgeous cloudy sun-kissed straw color with a frothy one finger head that fades to a thin layer with nice lacing.

S: Wow. Immediately I notice an aroma that reminds me of my childhood... candied orange peels. This sugary orange scent is married to a full yeast scent. Right now all I can think of is running to a bakery and grabbing a sweet roll and covering it in orange marmalade.

M: Thin but satisfying. This is not a beer style that is meant to be too full. It is light in body with a mild carbonation. The finish on this hefe is longer than most.

T: The hop flavor is very evident and welcome, but it is quickly matched mid palate with a borage of coriander and yeasty bread. The hop resurfaces in the finish.

It seems to me that in the past 360 some odd years that the Paulaner monks did something right lol. This is truly a standup representation of a hefe-weizen and I would highly recommend it to people that are trying to become more accustomed to the style.

ashleyshalyn, Feb 05, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

One of the best beers I have ever drank, truily a beer to sit back and enjoy. Has a very fruity, rich taste to it. Looks cloudy, but has not darkness to it. Has absolutely no bitter aftertaste, very smooth and hardy. Very good with any meal or any festivity. It is hard to find a mass produced beer of such high standards. One beer I can compare it too, however is Hoegaarden, and I equally reccomend it.

krendelfish, Feb 03, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a cloudy yellow-golden color with bunches of white colored foam that slowly dissipated and left behind some lacing in my 24 oz. Hefe Weizen cup. Aromas of grains, butter, bananas, and yeast seemed to come out; nothing extraordinary or different from other beers in this style. The taste was rather sharp and even biting, but refreshing with various fruity flavors that changed over time and generated a slightly sweet aftertaste. Lingering sourness in the back of my throat, but it wasn't bad. The drinkability takes a hit because it was closer to a sipping beer than a session or gulping beer. Flavorful and dry, it paired nicely with some fresh cheese on-hand.

jaluria, Feb 02, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

Many people I know call hefe's "girl beer" but the hefe is not to be ignored!

A = a very cloudy, apricot color with a 1/2" fluffy white head

S = bananas, clove and sweetness

T = Very complex with a definite banana taste and overall sweetness

M = light bodied and refreshing

D = Very high. I can sip these all day long. even if you're not a beer drinker, you can still enjoy these.

xduderx, Jan 24, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +12.6%

Interesting hazy yellow-orange color. It almost glows. Large, fluffy white head. Lots of fast moving carbonation. Somehow, the color reminds me of an apricot. I don't know why or if that's even what an apricot looks like, but that's what it makes me think of.

Mmhm, that smells really good. Fruity and floral. It's definitely similar to banana, but there's so much more going on. A second deeper sniff reveals the subtle spicy character. It actually has a beautiful simplicity too, if that makes any sense.

Mmhm, that tastes really good. Wheat and grains come first and are followed closely by a distinct banana flavor. This banana flavor is much more distinct than the banana scent. Gets a little spicy at the finish. It seems to alternate between wheat flavor, fruit flavor, and then spice flavor. It's really good. It gets a little caramel as it warms too.

Light bodied with a nice creaminess too. Kind of a strange combination. Carbonation is not nearly as aggresive as it looks. This beer definitely favors the sweet part of the tongue, but it's not overly sweet either. There is almost no bitterness. Good medium length finish too.

This is a fine beer with a high drinkability. I'll be buying more.

skillerified, Jan 20, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

Well this is my third wheat beer, and the third time in 3 tries I find myself thinking "I bet I could give someone who says they don't like beer one of these and they'd gladly drink the whole bottle". So now I'm thinking wheat beers are pretty much the easiest drinking beers around. Anyway-
Appearance was ok. The is bright white and disapates very quickly. The color is a light and slightly cloudy brown. It reminds me a lot of (non alcoholic) sparkling cider. Smell is not very strong, slightly sour, a little bit of malted grain. Taste was definately good. Its slightly sweet, with a little bit of malted wheat and yeast. Mostly its dominated by the notes which are a bit of sour tang, with suggestions of apple, bannana, and a tiny bit of orange. Mouthfeel gets some extra points because I have something extra to describe. Its easy drinking, not too thick, mildly carbonated, but its also a bit grainy. I guess that's the unfiltered yeast. This doesn't detract from the drinkability at all. Its medium body, and pleasant taste make it very drinkable. You could definately do a session with this so long as the unfiltered yeast doesn't bother you, and it didn't bother me even though its the first time I noticed this in a beer. So I am assuming it won't bother most other people. Also, this is the LEAST bitter beer I've ever had. You can't taste the alcohol either. Smirnoff Triple Black is more of an acquired taste than this.
Bottom line- If you like beer, give it a try. It's good, though its different than normal lagers and ales. If you like wheat beer this is definately worth a try. And like I said if you don't like beer, well you wouldn't have signed up to read reviews on a site called beeradvocate, but if you're reading this over someone's shoulder Paulaner Hefe-Weizen is worth a shot anyway. The taste is that easy to like. Hacker-Pschorr is still better IMO though.

casualbeerman, Jan 13, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

I have been wainting to try this for a while. Every time I visit the grocery store I always eye it down. Any way it pours a cloudy orange gold color with a big, but short lived, head. The smell is good, strong and citrusy. The taste is pretty "okay". It is strong, but not like the smell. The smell is citrus and the taste, with this being my first Hefe Weizen, I will assume is a strong wheat (and banana?). This taste really grows on you the more you drink. The mouthfeel is a little thick but the carbonation sticks to your mouth badly. The drinkability isn't to badly marred by the strong, unfamiliar taste. I just needed to let it warm up a bit. On the whole a good beer if your used to it. It will take me a few more to get used to it.

nicksta, Dec 31, 2005