Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,968 | Reviews: 1,315
4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Picked up a 6 of this today at the beer store, since I like Hefe-Weizens I figured this would be a good choice, and right I was.

This poured a nice Hefe-Weizen cloudy yellow with vigorous head that subsided quickly. Smell is of citrus and delicious wheat malt, absolutely perfect. Flavors of tasty wheat malt with a slightly tart edge make the taste of this stuff just perfect.
It's smooth and easy to drink. Brewing perfection. Best example of a Hefe-Weizen I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

My favorite Hefeweizen. Very odiferous, with a smell of some sort of aged yeast mash and pumkin spice that makes my mouth water. Foams up like a racehorse if you don't take care when pouring, and it's hard to wait for the bubbles to recede. When I do take a first drink, my mouth is awash with spices many & varied that give it an overtone not unlike an Oktoberfest. I think "late Summer harvest." Some sort of candied apple sweetness, clove, and much more that I can't really place but that really makes me sit up and take notice. Complex, the spices, but the the end effect simple, and immensely enjoyable. Given this brewery's history, I am both honored and satisfied to partake in their craft (which is also available in 2.5 gallon mini-kegs for those entertaining a small circle of very, very good friends).

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Pretty much the classic Hefeweizen besides Weihenstephan and Franziskaner. Poured it into a hefeweizen glass and ended up with a great head! Very smooth beer, slight fruity and banana flavors, etc. There is not really much to add to this beer. A classic!

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

Fantastic Hefeweizen from Germany...

A: golden in color with a beautiful frothy head.

S: yeasty, subtle notes of banana and cloves

T: smooth and delicious...

M: slightly carbonated, crisp, and loving it.

D: refreshing even on a cold winter day...thank you sir may I have another!!!

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

When I first poured this brew into my weizen glass a large fluffy white head began to form and quickly rose to the top of the glass. This inch and a half head quickly dissipated though and left a nice lacing around the side of the glass. The color is a hazy yellowish-orange and you can tell there is a good amount of carbonation here.

The nose is exactly what I would expect from a quality unfiltered wheat beer. I definitely detect citrus and banana, as well as a hint of spice. You can also catch some hops in there as well. Overall, a very sweet smell

Typically a summer beer, I have no problem drinking this in December. The first flavor I taste is citrus and banana. Then the wheat makes its appearance along with some spice and in the finish I catch a bit of the hops and some bitterness. This is a lighter-bodied beer than many other hefeweizens, but it just adds to the drinkability.

4.9/5  rDev +21%

Another classic Hefe. This one speaks for itself.

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

pours a cloudy golden color with a three finger white head that holds well and nice lacing to the finish. smells of spice and clove with hint of bubble gum. flavors of lemon, coriander, spice, and clove balance very well with the wheat malt. mouthfeel is medium body and silky smooth with a light carbonation. great tasting beer, definitely at the top for a hefeweizen and definitely on my list.

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

Clove and tart banana with a nice cloudy Hefe-Weizen appearance. Mine had an expiration date of 07-02, and I think this beer is on the down side of it’s freshness. I’ve had other bottles of this beer... enough to know that this one is a dud. Wiffs of sauerkraut are coming off of this brew, and have been heretofore unknown to me when drinking this brand and type of beer.
This example came to me off the shelf, so I’m grading it off. If in the future, I review this beer, and get a good one, I’ll change the rating.
Pity, I really do like this beer, when it's fresh...

I now have a case of fresh beer and after a few 1pint .9 oz bottles, I now can say... Wow! This is realy some good stuff... Good Clove and Banana abound!

Yum, Yum!

4.87/5  rDev +20.2%

An eruption of hard, crispy white foam quickly overcomes the limits of the several glasses this beer was poured into. Thoroughly cloudy, it is orange-colored with brown paper bag-colored tones as well.
The aromas are bracing. A complex stew of fruit, spices and fresh and dried herbs emerge forcefully from the bowl: white pepper, mustard greens, candied orange and lemon peel, sourdough, Jamaican allspice and chalk.
In the mouth it is broad and chewy, with immediate support from tangy, citrus, apple and pear fruit. Very creamy, the gas is finely milled and it permeates every drop of the "liquid". As each swallow is consumed, the heated, raging mousse slices through the obvious glycerine content and creates a sharp, painful, dramatic tension. As the fizz expires, the gelatine-like texture of the liquid prevails, first on the lips, and then, following the beer back to the back palate. Dried meats, nettles and slate flavors twist up the finish.
Gigantic flavor. Dry nearly to the point of austerity. Abstract.

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

My first BA review. Hefeweizen is my favorite style, and Paulaner's is my favorite interpretation of the style.

Poured into a mug, chilled. Swirled to get the yeast out and generate head.

Appearance: Golden, cloudy, with a foamy head that goes away quickly. Exactly how a hefeweizen should. Something about the look of the beer just screams "Drink me!"

Smell: A hint of esters make it smell vaguely fruity. It's not overpowering though. I've tried several other hefeweizens and, in my experience, the Paulaner version has managed to avoid any sort of unpleasant notes. Which is part of what makes this remarkable.

Taste: It's fuller bodied than the Weihenstephaner stuff, about equal to Hacker-Pschorr in terms of how it tastes, like a medium bodied beer. It also avoids any unpleasant aftertastes. It has the banana bread taste that most German hefeweizens have, rather than the orange taste that most american wheat ales go for. It's a little more neutral, and encourages you to continue drinking. Getting it on-tap is obviously better, don't let them serve this to you with a lemon or orange. It contains all the flavor it needs.

Mouthfeel: Some people say this tastes watery, sure... in comparison to a Stout. It's a medium weight beer. The yeast adds to this. I can't stress enough that every offensive flavor a beer could have is absent. The taste lingers, but doesn't overstay its welcome and it succeeds at being pleasantly full-bodied without being heavy. However, in a perfect world it would be nice if it could be just a bit heavier.

Overall: A little heavier than your typical wheat-beer. This makes it ideal to have in the summer, but still gives you a reason to drink it year round. I don't know why the US-based craft brewers can't figure this out. Less orange peel and lemon zest, please! I might be a little biased, but this is the hefeweizen of all hefeweizens, in my opinion. I just wish it was a tad heavier, but I don't think that exists. You owe it to yourself to try this.

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Best Hefeweizen I've ever had. Been brewing this since 1564, so I'm pretty sure they've got it down by now! Color is absolutely gorgeous, a nice mix of yellow/orange. Really getting an apple undertone shining through in this one, making it very unique. Best way to drink is in a pint or Pilsner glass - pour 2/3 into one of those glasses, hold the glass at an angle. Next, take the 1/3 that's still in the bottle and swish it around, that way the yeast collects from the glass in the bottle. Finally, pour the rest in the glass to produce a nice head of foam and enjoy!

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of most outstanding hefeweizen's I've ever sampled. Try one or six... You will not be disappointed!

By far my favorite Hefe.

This beer just screams at you. It says..."I am a German Hefe Weizen!". The aroma is strong ripe banana and mild clove. Either for breakfast or as a refreshing drink on a hot day, this beer is smooth to go down and makes you forget the troubles you have.

High carbonation, beautiful color, a head that rolls.

Paulaner leads the field in Hefe's, try one and you'll see why.

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

This has got to be the smoothest Hefe I have ever tasted! Pours a cloudy, almost orange color with a slight citrus aroma. Crisp and clean taste...one smoooooooth beer. I've only had it from tap and I'm hoping to grab a sixer to get that bottle experience soon! One word...Yummy!

4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Huge white head rises a full inch above the rim of my glass! A nice hit of spice on the nose. The carbonation looks to have died down by now, but I do notice its tickle on my tongue. A seamless mold of flavors rest on my palate. Spice from the yeast is what I'm enjoying the most. Bananna and clove are the defining charactar of this beer. Bold mouthfeel with insane drinkablility.

4.82/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: Cloudy, but who cares? its's an unfiltered hefe, it's supposed to be cloudy.

Smell: smells like floural wheat, smooth

Taste: now what really matters. Medium bodied, smooth. Its the epitome of a hefeweizen. I found myself drinking a bunch of these on the beach during a hot day.

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium bodied.

Overall: I give this a 666, for pure evil goodness.

4.81/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

great hefe but seems more mild than Franziskaner Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

It is a toss up between this beer and the Spaten Hefe as to which one is my favorite. This one poured a hazy golden color with a great head that finally subsided and left lots of luscious lace down the side of my glass. The smell was of bananna, clove and spices. The taste was awesome with large doses of bananna flavor and a slight hoppiness to it as well. The finnish was a great lemony sourness and the mouthfeel was creamy and grand. If one does not enjoy this beer, then one cannot be a fan of this style!

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

A classic Bavarian hefe-weizen! Cloudy with a thick, fluffy, bright white head. Fine, tiny bubbles continually rise keeping a head throughout the entire glass. Intense aromas of sweet malt, cloves and banana. It's texture is rich, creamy, and silky - yet it's incredibly refreshing with it's bright flavors and zesty carbonation! The flavor follows the aroma with the addition of a light note of darkish fruit, maybe ripe plum. It's really amazing how complex and fulfilling this beer is. Finishes with a lingering note of clove. Extremely enjoyable and refreshing. One of the best examples of the style. Able to be enjoyed throughout the entire year.

12 oz bottle

This is one of the best looking hefe's I've had. A good cloudy amber orange beer sits under a white head composed of tiny pearls of bubbles all very consistent in size.
The smell is a good yeasty, citrus, earthiness and spice.
Taste is similar with a good lemon citrus pulling through after an initial taste of yeast and malt. The spiciness comes through and fades leaving a great aftertaste that makes you want another sip.
Mouthfeel is wonderful with enough carbonation. Drinkability is tops. This beer went great with a turkey and provolone sandwich.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

A wonderful German wheat. One of my favorite bottles.
Be sure to get the sediment. It's like gold. It really makes the beer good.
Swirl the bottle to mix it in.
This is a sweet wheat with a very good fragrence.

Super foamy white head.
Rich cloudy golden amber color.
Sweet citrus aroma.
Sweet wheat taste.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Had this from a 12oz bottle purchased from Enchanted Forest Wine and Spirits.

Pours a lovely honey colour with ample bubbles forming a rich head. Hazy appearance with many bubbles racing to the top which reminds me of Prosecco or Champagne. Smell is reminicent of bananas with a spicy background and perhaps some sweet roll. The taste... wow sums it up. Perfect balance of malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Floating in the background are the flavours of banana, clove, cinnamon, lemon zest and biscuit slowly dancing on the tongue. The finish is clean and slightly tart but very refreshing. I could drink this beer all the time it's just that good and that smooth. My hats off to the Germans, for they make an awesome beer.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

One of the best beers I have ever drank, truily a beer to sit back and enjoy. Has a very fruity, rich taste to it. Looks cloudy, but has not darkness to it. Has absolutely no bitter aftertaste, very smooth and hardy. Very good with any meal or any festivity. It is hard to find a mass produced beer of such high standards. One beer I can compare it too, however is Hoegaarden, and I equally reccomend it.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Cloudy golden color with small, but nice amount of head that provides some lacing. Very aromatic, sweet. Pleasant crisp flavor set to a minerally medium bodied liquid texture. Same great taste that I remember from a classic (and major) German brewery.

The best possible Hefe you can purchase, and a staple to any hefe's fan.

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

hazy cloudy deep golden color. nice foamy head. aroma of the usual bananas and cloves. nice effervescent mouthfeel. solid body. tastes great... a lemony grassy flavor with a nice shot of clove. slides down smooth as silk. what all other yeast-wheat beers aspire to be. a summer time classic, not to mention one of the best beers in the world.

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG