Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier NaturtrübPaulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,297 | Hads: 3,045
4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

I found a case of this at a local distributor/warehouse in PA. I felt like I was taking a chance because this was on my list but my first Hefe of the season. The case box was translated into English (natural wheat). Well, this is absolutely the best Hefe I've had (and I've had almost a dozen different ones both Domestic and Imported since this purchase). Pours a beautiful yellow/orange cloudy colore with an every growing head the keeps puffing up out of the glass. Once it settles a little the bananna's, clove, huge malt caramel backbone with pepper just kick in and keep coming. The mouthfeel was completely "clean" and refreshing with NO sticky sweetness at all. I was able to down a few of these with no problems and I'm sure I could have kept going. Extremely refreshing in every way. By far the best $30 case I have ever bought. Also, my first 5 in any category.

3.32/5  rDev -18%

Cloudy pour with a small head, lot going on in the aromacitrus hop, carmel malt, and banana, carmelly grainy tastethat leaves an oily coating on the tongue.Pleasant enough aftertaste, refreshing enough but not something Ill buy again. I guess its just not my direction.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a medium golden color,fairly clear for a wheat beer,with a nice head that lasted all the way down the glass.
smell is somewhat fruity,banana is what I sensed the most.
taste was very good and refreshing with a very complex fruity flavor,banana and clove.
mouthfeel was somewhat creamy,no hoppyness,medium carbonation,very smoothe.
drinability very high due to the way these things go down so easy,I would definitely drink these again,I've had better wheat beers but this one is high quality and is right up there.

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%

Classic hefeweizen look: pale yellow color, impressively tall head, cloudy translucent body with an inner glow. Aroma has the banana nut muffin quality with the yeasty and bready notes predominant. It is typical of the style, but is not as strong as most others. Taste is again dominated by the yeast with sour dough, clove, citrus fruits, and bananas shining through. Typical German hefeweizen mouthfeel, but is a bit more yeasty.

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

Came in the long neck brown 330ml Euro crown top bottle. Had freshness date.

The pour was a delightful cloudy orange-amber with plenty of effervescence and a great puffy white Meringue of a head that pushed out of the glass then settled down to a clinging lace after a few quaffs.

Odors of citrus peel, vanilla, banana, clove and nutty yeast undertones.

Starts with a blast of prickly carbonated citrus hop tastes then smoothes back on the palate with a creamy balance of nutty yeasts sweet malt and tart hop...then the finish is tart citrus with a wonderful subtle spicey banana-bread aftertaste punctuated with a lingering metallic hop effect

Very light and refreshing with a bright citrusy mouth feel...a wonderful summer beer....probably one of the best.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

pours light golden,cloudy. Nice white puffy head. Great nose of wheat, yeast, spice. One of the classic examples of this style. Paulaner is a pleasure to quaff. Light, yeasty, lemony, spices. Great creamy smooth mouthfeel. You cant go wrong with this stuff. I tried it with some ribs and its cuts through the spice of the ribs with a nice clean and fruity flavor and refreshing mouthfeel.

A very fine weissbier, to say the least. The barkeep at one of my favorite haunts busted this bottle out for me, but made the mistake of offering me a slice of lemon. Not so fast my friend! This Bier poured into a tall, lanky pilsner glass very well, foaming up to a nice and ever-respectable head. The aroma was slightly sweet on its own. No lemon needed here, thank you. The wheat and roasted goodness was apparent in the nose and in the flavor. A real delight. Are there better? Sure. But this one is a Bier with which to be reckoned.

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%

Billowing creamy white head on the pour that had a hell of a lot of substance to it. A hazed apricot colour in appearance. Banana and nutty spice on the nose with a base of sweet grain. Spicy flavour profile, pepper and cloves and walnuts, with a union of citrus and grain on the finish. Very effervescent mouthfeel, light, but with a weighty flavour profile, a very interesting dichotomy as far as flavour and texture is concerned. A light weiss with a meaty spice character on the palate. A decent weiss indeed, would make a great starting off point of the style for beginners.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured a nice golden hazy yellow with a nice billowy white head that stayed for a nice long while. Aroma hints at citrus rind, clove, allspice, and tropical fruit. A little lighter in the banana clove taste than other hefe's and a little more citrusy than most. The mouthfeel is good although it does seem a little lighter than say a Schnieder Weiss or Weihenstephaner. Drinkability is high as on a hot summer day one throw these back one after the other. Overall a good hefe. Not my favourite, but not too far behind.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

This mildly cloudy, medium-yellow brew almost seems to glow softly under the right light. It's a beauty. The wheat and malts blend divinely to create a sweet, completely agreeable beer that you just can't help wanting more of. I'm a big fan of wheat beers, and this is one of the best. Although I like Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, Celis White and so on, that type of wheat beer can be a little too tangy and sweet. Paulaner's Hefe-Weizen avoids these drawbacks by being subtle, not letting any particular taste overwhelm the taste buds.

This brew can feel a little thin, although it's so tasty that it hardly bothered me.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a hazy gold with a big lacy ivory head. Smells of spicy cloves and light banana aroma.

Tastes of wheat malt and spices. Cloves and light pepper. Ripe banana and sweet flavors. Lightly fruity and lightly sour. A nice lightly spicy aftertaste. Really tasty. And smooth. And creamy. Very good beer. Maybe the best Hefe I've had.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

This is one beer I actually considered photographing after pouring. The appearance is almost perfect! Now THIS is how a glass of good beer should look. The head, copious and smooth, settled slightly above the glass rim, with that lovely, picture perfect, chunky, foamy, somewhat whipped-cream presentation. Magnificent! Apple juice colouration, misty and blurred, thanks to the beloved yeast sediment. The aroma, to me personally, is one of the best I have yet smelt in a hefe-weizen. There are pears, apples, bananas, nuts, cloves, and yeasty, musky, earthy smells. I say the pears are dominant. I know other hefes may give the same aromas, but there is some characteristic or blending in Paulaner that excites my personal palate. The taste is very similar to the smell, delivering upon all the suggested odours. There is a very pleasant wheat-sourness in the finish, and a fruity taste on the middle of the tongue. Initially, there is a delightful bubble-gum sweet candy taste. The mouthfeel is full, and this beer rates amongst the best for drinkability. This beer proves that beer is indeed a literal food product.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: cloudy yellow, massive head
Smell: wheat with fruity undertones, a bit resrained, other hefes have been more fragrant, hops non existent
Taste: slightly more hoppy than other hefes, nice banana and spice undertones
Mouthfeel: full, carbonated, fluffy
Drinkability: Great, quenching, refreshing warm weather hefe

This is a rarity in that the draft version is not significantly better than the bottled version. It pours a wonderful, golden wheat color with a huge white head. It has to work a while to let the head subside enough to fill the glass. The overwhelming smell is the wheat field, but there is a citrus undertone along with some spices, probably a little clove. The taste is predominantly wheat and malt with a hoppy backup. As with most good Hefes, there is that citrus flavor that I can never pin down to a specific fruit. This is a good beer with a smooth, bubbly feel in the mouth. It is easy to go through a few of these, but I may like the bottle a little better.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

This is hitting the spot right now! The 500 mL bottle poured perfect into my Tabernash Weiss glass. Cloudy orange in color with a frothy white head that is lacing pretty damn well.

Awesome banana and clove aroma.

Slightly acidic with wheat and malt characteristics. Flavor was mainly the banana and clove. Very distinctive and perfect for the style. Some citrus and peach notes as well. Very tasty!

If I ever in the mood for a wheat, which rarely happens, I am going to grab this one for sure.

Having just homebrewed a German hefeweizen, I was keen to try one of the beers I was aiming to duplicate.

It looks good, pouring with a big head that settles down to next to nothing near the end. It smells very much of cloves.

Its taste is all yeast. And that's the way it should be. It has a very estery quality of yeast nuttiness and clove flavor with just a bit of bananna. I've learned that the selection of yeast is the most important part of brewing an authentic hefeweizen. I didn't use a second yeast strain for bottling like the big boys do, though. That adds further details to the taste that I can't describe.

It's got a good mouthfeel, too. Not super light, but not too full-bodied, either.

After having American wheat beers I must say that the Germans do weizen right. One of the few styles done better overseas. But then I'm a fan of what some might call "yeast funkiness" that authentic hefeweizens have. If you are too, grab a Paulaner Hefe-Weizen.

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%

A very nice wheat beer. It pours a cloudy orange colour with a big white long lasting head. The smell is sweet of wheat, yeast, some banana and citrus. The taste is very smooth and drinkable with a mild wheat taste and some citrus taste, a little hint of banana too. A beer for hot summer days, but i drink it all year.

4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

This is almost the best hefe i've ever had. This is a cloudy yellow/golden colour with a creamy, whipped-cream head of white/off-white foam. The taste is quite banany, with those lovely clove-like esters running about too and the mouthfeel is creamy and excellent. The drinkability is nearly perfect, making this one of the best hefes out there....and for about $1.50 for a single, this stuff is a great, import buy!

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

The hazy golden body is almost as dark as apricot and is topped by a nice head of ivory foam. Good retention and lots of light spotty lace.

The nose is cloves and banana and this also gives great yeast notes. The flavor is huge with clove and fruit notes with lots of peppery mouthfeel from the medium body. One of the best of the style with decent drinkability.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

I've had this beer quite a few times, and hadn't realized that I never reviewed it. One of the most profound tasting hefes (along with Schneider). Plenty of banana and clove, full and spicy mouthfeel. Typical wheat beer appearance, with large head and all. Due to the large taste, I have to be in the mood for this one. Not as well balanced as the Weihenstephan, but maybe more substantial. One of the best hefes, for sure.

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Not too tooty-fruity as others of this type, rather more balanced. Decent aroma. Light yellow cloudy colour. Tasty citrus is drinkable. Malt nice with food. Not crazy on some of the spices as pepper. In your face carbinations means an uneasy mouthfeel for some.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This had a gorgeous Hefe Weizen appearance. The body was a thick and very hazy orange and the head was monstrous, foaming up rightly. It settled slowly into volcanic pits on top of the bier.

Smell – This is as authentic as it gets. The aroma is pure, unadulterated yeast with some light, fruity notes. You can almost literally chew on the aroma of this weizen.

Taste – This is awesome. The big yeast notes from the nose jumped right into the mouth at first sip (it’s still quite cold). I’m actually mashing my teeth as I drink. I’m sure the flavors would come out even more if I had the patience to let this one warm . . . but I don’t.

There’s a slight uncomfortable sharpness in the hops, which probably is all that’s keeping me from 5ing the taste, but this one is excellent on all accounts. The finish is dominated by the soft, luscious fruits that make up a traditional Hefe Weizen. The banana is wonderfully mixed with some peaches, cherries, and a splash of fresh orange.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied and quite big for a weizen, but the story here is the full, fluffy consistency. It’s almost like eating bread dough, it’s just that good.

Drinkability – I’m picking up a case this weekend and vow never to let the supply get below three or four. This is a must have staple for anyone who enjoys the style.

Comments – This is right on par with the WEIHENSTEPHANER with much better availability.

Update – I initially rated this with a 2003 vintage so thought it would be interesting to re-review it after being on the site now for a year and a half. I did a mini taste test with a few other weizens when I had this one, a 2004 vintage.

It really is a terrific example of the style. I feel like I’m going back in time to when I lived in Bayern whenever I drink a Paulaner Hefe Weizen. I personally favor a bit of uneven flavor bias towards the yeast for this particular style, so this one is right up my alley.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

On tap at Old Chicago, served with a lemon slice. A very good beer, another credit to the Paulaner label. Well balanced and refreshing, this beer had a somewhat ctrus flavor. It was a dark goldish color, that was somethat hazy. A very good beer that I'd buy again at the drop of a hat.

3.46/5  rDev -14.6%

I have only been enlightened to the pleasure of wheat-beers in the last few years, so excuse the lack of appropriate vocabulary - i'm truly unaccustomed to this style.

This beer was presented to me in a relatively upscale dining establishment after its expiry date. I should've made a stink.

This beer pours out a monstrous beached fluffhead, but to my surprise didn't leave a head in my restaurant glass. Must've used major soap on this glass.

The color is a hazy golden orange. The beer smells slightly sour, which might have to due with its expired status.

Basically, the flavor on this beer is fairly one-dimensional. It is wheaty, with hints of lemon and orange, ironically what most people add. The mouthfeel is quite watery, but very drinkable. All in all, a sturdy, even choice. My notes mark it as "Exquellent". Must've had a few by that point.

I've only had a few imported wheat-beers, and this seems to be very vanilla and crowd-pleasing. But so much better than any domestic interpretations.

4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

Clove and tart banana with a nice cloudy Hefe-Weizen appearance. Mine had an expiration date of 07-02, and I think this beer is on the down side of it’s freshness. I’ve had other bottles of this beer... enough to know that this one is a dud. Wiffs of sauerkraut are coming off of this brew, and have been heretofore unknown to me when drinking this brand and type of beer.
This example came to me off the shelf, so I’m grading it off. If in the future, I review this beer, and get a good one, I’ll change the rating.
Pity, I really do like this beer, when it's fresh...

I now have a case of fresh beer and after a few 1pint .9 oz bottles, I now can say... Wow! This is realy some good stuff... Good Clove and Banana abound!

Yum, Yum!