Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,287 | Hads: 3,003
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Not too tooty-fruity as others of this type, rather more balanced. Decent aroma. Light yellow cloudy colour. Tasty citrus is drinkable. Malt nice with food. Not crazy on some of the spices as pepper. In your face carbinations means an uneasy mouthfeel for some. (261 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This had a gorgeous Hefe Weizen appearance. The body was a thick and very hazy orange and the head was monstrous, foaming up rightly. It settled slowly into volcanic pits on top of the bier.

Smell – This is as authentic as it gets. The aroma is pure, unadulterated yeast with some light, fruity notes. You can almost literally chew on the aroma of this weizen.

Taste – This is awesome. The big yeast notes from the nose jumped right into the mouth at first sip (it’s still quite cold). I’m actually mashing my teeth as I drink. I’m sure the flavors would come out even more if I had the patience to let this one warm . . . but I don’t.

There’s a slight uncomfortable sharpness in the hops, which probably is all that’s keeping me from 5ing the taste, but this one is excellent on all accounts. The finish is dominated by the soft, luscious fruits that make up a traditional Hefe Weizen. The banana is wonderfully mixed with some peaches, cherries, and a splash of fresh orange.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied and quite big for a weizen, but the story here is the full, fluffy consistency. It’s almost like eating bread dough, it’s just that good.

Drinkability – I’m picking up a case this weekend and vow never to let the supply get below three or four. This is a must have staple for anyone who enjoys the style.

Comments – This is right on par with the WEIHENSTEPHANER with much better availability.

Update – I initially rated this with a 2003 vintage so thought it would be interesting to re-review it after being on the site now for a year and a half. I did a mini taste test with a few other weizens when I had this one, a 2004 vintage.

It really is a terrific example of the style. I feel like I’m going back in time to when I lived in Bayern whenever I drink a Paulaner Hefe Weizen. I personally favor a bit of uneven flavor bias towards the yeast for this particular style, so this one is right up my alley. (1,964 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

On tap at Old Chicago, served with a lemon slice. A very good beer, another credit to the Paulaner label. Well balanced and refreshing, this beer had a somewhat ctrus flavor. It was a dark goldish color, that was somethat hazy. A very good beer that I'd buy again at the drop of a hat. (285 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

I have only been enlightened to the pleasure of wheat-beers in the last few years, so excuse the lack of appropriate vocabulary - i'm truly unaccustomed to this style.

This beer was presented to me in a relatively upscale dining establishment after its expiry date. I should've made a stink.

This beer pours out a monstrous beached fluffhead, but to my surprise didn't leave a head in my restaurant glass. Must've used major soap on this glass.

The color is a hazy golden orange. The beer smells slightly sour, which might have to due with its expired status.

Basically, the flavor on this beer is fairly one-dimensional. It is wheaty, with hints of lemon and orange, ironically what most people add. The mouthfeel is quite watery, but very drinkable. All in all, a sturdy, even choice. My notes mark it as "Exquellent". Must've had a few by that point.

I've only had a few imported wheat-beers, and this seems to be very vanilla and crowd-pleasing. But so much better than any domestic interpretations. (1,020 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Clove and tart banana with a nice cloudy Hefe-Weizen appearance. Mine had an expiration date of 07-02, and I think this beer is on the down side of it’s freshness. I’ve had other bottles of this beer... enough to know that this one is a dud. Wiffs of sauerkraut are coming off of this brew, and have been heretofore unknown to me when drinking this brand and type of beer.
This example came to me off the shelf, so I’m grading it off. If in the future, I review this beer, and get a good one, I’ll change the rating.
Pity, I really do like this beer, when it's fresh...

I now have a case of fresh beer and after a few 1pint .9 oz bottles, I now can say... Wow! This is realy some good stuff... Good Clove and Banana abound!

Yum, Yum! (745 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

This is easily one of the best hefeweizens that I have ever tasted. I picked this one up while trying out a new store for a BeerFly review. Paulaner makes quite a few great brews, and this one does not disappoint. In fact, it just blew me away.

It poured with a wonderful 3/4 inch head, carbonation bubbles aplenty. Dark and yellowish in color, I couldn't see entirely through the beer. It had a beautiful cloudiness. It hit me as being slightly sharp on the nose, almost but not quite bitter, but that didn't pan out at all in the taste. It was far smoother than it initially smelled.

The taste just excelled. Smooth...oh so smooth...I was halfway through the mug before I even knew it. Citrus flavors mingled with the grain, a spicy middle replacing the lemons and orange peels. It finished with a very slight hops tingle, but there was almost no bitterness to be found in this brew. Absolutely world-class, this beer has to be considered one of the standards for the style.

Better than average mouthfeel. Great natural carbonation. High marks on drinkability. It would be very easy to put away quite a few of these in one sitting. This would be a fantastic session beer, especially on a warm summer evening, sitting around on the back porch. It would go great with some lemon-pepper chicken or pork.

Do NOT pass this beer up if you see it. A classic in every way. (1,378 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

Cloudy yellowish brew with a reasonable head. Very complex mix of spice with a fresh taste of wheat. Very refreshing taste overall with a bit of sourness in the aftertaste. Overall a good example of the style without being the best of the category. I would still like to try this one on tap... (293 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a nice cloudy golden amber color. There is a medium sized head of tiny bubbles that piles above the rim of the glass for a bit then slowly fades to a full frothy lace. The aroma is crisp and lemony with some grainy notes. Some carbonation can be seen rising from the sides of the glass. Nice very smooth malty start of light caramel notes. A good carbonation picks up and leads to a good lemon toned citric hop finish. Notes of breadiness and yeast are apparent towards the middle. The malt backbone is well stated throughout making for a wonderfully balanced beer. I’ve had a few hefes before that tend to be too tart and lemony – not here. Very drinkable and refreshing brew that I’m sure I’ll enjoy again. (718 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

A wonderful German wheat. One of my favorite bottles.
Be sure to get the sediment. It's like gold. It really makes the beer good.
Swirl the bottle to mix it in.
This is a sweet wheat with a very good fragrence.

Super foamy white head.
Rich cloudy golden amber color.
Sweet citrus aroma.
Sweet wheat taste. (315 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Another good German wheat beer. Pours a nice head and cloudy orange. Head lasts throughout. Bananas prominent in the nose. Nice tangy citrusy spicy taste. Maybe a tad bid light(watery). It's hard for me to down grade German hefe's. This is a fine example of the style. (268 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Deep dark orange boardering on a brownish orange. Thick creamy head head with heavy carbonation.

Super mix of aromas just scream out of the glass. Biscuit, orange, banana, cloves and herb tinges. Wonderful aroma makes this one to just sit and sniff.

A very strong palate that is as good a Hefe as I have tasted. Good orange, banana and tropical fruits up front followed by the tart biting cloves on the finsih. This is long, cream and fantastic.

There is a reason why hefe's are my favourite beer. Add this puppy to the list too! (538 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +20%

An eruption of hard, crispy white foam quickly overcomes the limits of the several glasses this beer was poured into. Thoroughly cloudy, it is orange-colored with brown paper bag-colored tones as well.
The aromas are bracing. A complex stew of fruit, spices and fresh and dried herbs emerge forcefully from the bowl: white pepper, mustard greens, candied orange and lemon peel, sourdough, Jamaican allspice and chalk.
In the mouth it is broad and chewy, with immediate support from tangy, citrus, apple and pear fruit. Very creamy, the gas is finely milled and it permeates every drop of the "liquid". As each swallow is consumed, the heated, raging mousse slices through the obvious glycerine content and creates a sharp, painful, dramatic tension. As the fizz expires, the gelatine-like texture of the liquid prevails, first on the lips, and then, following the beer back to the back palate. Dried meats, nettles and slate flavors twist up the finish.
Gigantic flavor. Dry nearly to the point of austerity. Abstract. (1,021 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

On Draught, Cloudy yellow colored with giant head which took some time to settle. Fresh wheat aroma with subtle notes of clove and yeast. Not as pungent as some other weizens, yet more of a clean taste. Very drinkable but I prefer more flavor in a weizen. (255 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Presentation: 12oz. brown bottle; no "best by" or "bottled on" date; purchased for $7.49/6 from the Beverage Warehouse off Culver.

Appearance: Pours a rich, orange-hued gold with a large, foamy, snow-white head; cloudy, as per the style; copious amounts of lacing with and stellar head retention.

Aroma: Gingerly of sweet banana, yeast and spicy clove with ever so faint citric notes in the background.

Taste: Decidely like its nose (bananas, yeast and cloves), albeit with a stronger emphasis on its citric qualities (lemon); sweet malt front with a slightly sour twang; somewhat spicy; medium bodied.

Notes: Ever time I drink this I somehow feel disappointed; far from bad, but something here leaves me a tad cold. (728 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -2%

I like this brew for the same reasons I did not like Salvator. They are much more similar than they should be considering the styles.

The appearance is a very nice, cloudy orange with a sparkling head thats spumes forth with confidence. The smell is predominently sweet with banana and clove. The taste, well, I'm not a large fan of hefes, but hooray for banana and clove. Mixes nicely on a light wheat canvas. The mouthfeel is what one could expect from the head, wonderful tickles across your entire pallette. My first experience with paulaner has beer erased. Cheers! (574 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured a lovely cloudy yellow under a firm white head that should have been bigger and should have lasted longer. There was some lacing, but again not as much as I'd expect. The nose is very nice - fruity, crisp, clean, with malt and wheat tones. The mouth is light and prickly. The taste has the trademark citrus and malt combination that gets up into your nose, then lingers in the back of your throat long after the liquid has gone south. This is one tasty brew if you like the style at all. I don't, but I gotta give credit where credit is due. Good product! (562 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Bottom's Up Pizza

Very cloudy bright orange in color. Lots and lots of thick white head sits atop this beer. HUGE dose of bannana. yeast, and lemony zest in the nose. Intoxicating to the ol' shnoz. Flavor is crisp and refreshing. Bannana flavor evident, along with a subtle balancing by the hops. Finish is crisp and dry. Mouthfeel is smooth and medium-bodied. Very, very drinkable. The wife even liked the taste. A great beer to sit on the deck at Bottom's Up and watch the world go by for an hour or so. (518 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

A light orange brew that's almost so hazy that it's opaque. Lots of clove in the nose, along with a little banana and sourness. Love the Bavarian yeast! On the tongue it's just as spicy, lemon, pepper, and clove with a good dose of bready malt sourness. Hop spice shows up on the edges, but the malt and yeast are what really grab your attention here. Nice and complex, but the body is on the lighter side. That's not a bad thing, but I'm glad this comes in 16 oz. bottles. Even that isn't enough since it's so drinkable. I'd like at least one more before moving on to another beer if I were session drinking, and at least 2 or 3 more if i was just drinking this. (663 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

pours a nice deep orange copper with a big bubbly head that eventually dies a little and leaves a nice lace. smells of yeast, light spice and clove and citrus. a strong malty flavour with a touch of sweetness and a nice yeasty bread like flavour with a little fruitiness. just a hint of spice. nice smooth light mouthfeel and it goes down oh so easily. these are 99 cents down the street, so they are always in my fridge. (421 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a hazy radiant gold with a frothy white head that just kinda sits there looking back at you. Smell is bananas and a hint of fruitiness, and tons of wonderful earthy yeast. The taste is like drinking liquid sunshine - full, warming, pleasant, and smooth. Malt and yeast dual each other over who will control your tastebuds. Can be a bit heavy for a session beer, and you might feel a bit gassy by morningtime, but this it still one of my all-time favs. (457 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a hazy gold colour. A good head with mild lacing as the head drops quickly to thin and stays. The aroma is of yeast and fruity and there is a hint of wheat. I've been drinking it off and on all summer and have enjoyed it. There is a bit of a bitter aftertaste but it does not stop its drinkability. I've come to enjoy that aftertaste. Great on a hot day. It also works well with spicy meals.

I'm into things historical so I used a bottle of this hefe-weizen to make a traditional shandy (half beer - half lemonade), a sacrilege to some I know, but it was the best shandy I've had ever. I was sorry it was my last Paulaner at the time. (644 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -42.4%

I just finished reading all 160+ reviews. Because I just finished my second bottle of this "natural wheat" hefe. I too was expecting more of this beer. After the buildup, it was a major disappointment. Yes, everyone else raved about it. Yes, I am comitting sacrilege by saying something negative. But I must point out that FOR ME, it was not a satisfying experience. For a hefeweizen, the bitterness, and the lack of drinkability was amazing. Definitely not smoooth. I keep reading about how it tasted like: Lemon. Banana. Clove. Bubblegum (?) Bread. Orange. Wheat. Grass-like. Pepper. Malt. Acerbic. Phenols. Yeast.

Everyone kept saying "drink this beer if you want to know what a hefe is SUPPOSED to taste like."

WHY has no one mentioned that IT TASTES LIKE SOMEONE ADDED A FEW DROPS OF TURPENTINE?! I distinctly taste pine! Is that normal for a Hefe? Sorry, guys! but this beer is nasty. (896 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Had this on tap at the local pub. Pours a very cloudy light orange color with a thick head and minimal lacing on the glass. The aroma was grainy and citrusy with hints of sweetness. The flavor was very smooth. Very crisp and refreshing - great representation of the style. I'll have this one again sometime soon. (312 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

Pale gold color, very hazy. Medium head. Aroma is banana and yeasty. A mild flavored hefe-weizen. Mild malts, some banana and clove flavor. Smooth taste. A touch citrusy. Lively carbonation. Well balanced. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. (283 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours beautifully with a wonderful colour. If poured correctly in the proper glass the head floats perfectly over the rim. Smells wonderful. Tastes even better. My choice for the best after work beer.

Edit: I have recently had a change in tastes with regard to hefe's and am definantly starting to enjoy Schneider Weisse more that Paulaner. Will re-evaluate the two at a later date. (385 characters)

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG