Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,289 | Hads: 3,006
4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

WOW! What a great Heffe. Starts with a nice white head and a cloudy golden orange color. The smell is amazing, banana bread, citrus, spice.
Such a great inviting aroma. The taste follows the scent, all of the same flavors you smell you get in the flavor. Just fills your mouth with spicey bread feel. Very drinkable, easy to have many of these. This is definately my favorite Heffe so far. (389 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Ah, Paulaner Hefeweizen. Apparently this is a polarizing beer, because the reviewers here seem to love it or aren't impressed. It's my favorite Hefe, so I guess I'm a little biased.

A-Thick, foamy head with lacing as it fades. Color is an opaque golden orange.

S- Smells of banana, clove and lemon. Nice spicy aroma is present.

T- Tastes of banana, clove, coriander, lemon, and dare I say a little pineapple. Finishes very clean with honeyed wheaty notes.

M- Overall, pretty good mouthfeel, but does have a slight graininess to it. Still quite solid.

D- Terrific drinkability. The only German Hefe I've found that can match it is Weihenstephaner.

So there you have it. Some may disagree, but I believe this to be as good as any Hefe you can find. Mmm, I'm gonna have to pick up a case next time at Total Wine. Great summer beer. (835 characters)

from the bottle
appearance was very good with a golden yellow/orange color
smell was also good, hard to explain. wunderbar
taste was exceptional. opens tastebuds and with a good sniff, the full flavor comes ou
mouthfeel was very full
drinkability was great, easy to drink especially after a working outside on a hot day (324 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: perfectly cloudy straw yellow, with a majestic white head atop.
Aroma: everything you want in a hefe weizen, fresh, citric, fruity, but still somehow dry, straw-like, so very lemony, and that element of yeast fills the nostrils as well.
Excellent texture, great play on the tongue, spicy, but smooth. Fresh, fruity, delicious. Medium bodied, tasty, longish finish, very memorable flavor. The yeast and citrusy taste dominate and create a most adequate beverage for any occasion.
Drinkability? I could toss down a million of them!
I still rank Schneider and Weihenstephaner up above, just slightly, but there's not a thing wrong with Paulaner's offering, not a thing at all! (690 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

I've had Paulaner before on a couple occasions but felt obligated (and thirsty) to try it again for review.

Appearance: gorgeous cloudy, apricot color. Huge off-white head with great retention. Could have used it for a pillow.

Smell: nice combination of bananas and cloves up front with a yeasty, bread-like backbone.

Taste: quite sweet with virtually no bitterness anywhere. Bananas and cloves on bread with a slight alcohol bite at the end. Left a great banana/clove aftertaste

Feel: dry and refreshing. Faintly grainy.

Drinkability: plenty. This is a superb beer which is very refreshing on summer days. Great taste makes it hard not to just pound it down. Not going to find many better than Paulaner in this style. (733 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Man, this is THE beer if you want easy drinking, light bodied, and refreshing Hefes are all okay in my book, but this is a step above for sure. Paulaner poured a nice straw yellow with a huge pillowy white head that receded into intricate, clingly lace. The smell was very traditional with sweet malts, gum, pinnapple and just a hint of bannana. I usually don't like bannana(its my most despised fruit), but the flavor was so subtle(same with the taste) that I can't complain. The taste was light in body with sweet malts, sunset like wheats play on the front of the tongue and it left a nice dry refreshed taste on the palate. Very little to complain about in this beer. (671 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

A- Bright orange/yellow color, cloudy, one finger thick fluffy head that lowered to a thin layer that lasted

S- Orange peals, yeast, light malts, wheat, hint of cloves

T- Lemons, oranges, bananas, grains, bready, yeast, spices, light malt finish

M- Light/medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, sweet, refreshing

D- Worth buying again and again

This is one of my favorite hefe-weizens. Great appearance, great auroma, great flavors... great over all. (456 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

It's funny. I've had this beer dozens of times, but I never bothered to rate it. I guess I've always regarded this beer as the classic hefe-weizen... it sets such a high standard for brewers to live up to. It is a true classic.

There are some remarkable things about this beer. First of all, consider the fact that it is shipped overseas, with live yeast! Yet there is no oxidation and the beer is technically flawless. As a professional brewer, this is a remarkable accomplishment and quite a feat.

Also, the head retention is UNBELIEVABLE. After 20 minutes in the glass, it still has a fat head on it.

The carbonation always seems to be perfect too. Nice and full, but not too much were it is annoying... it's simply refreshing.

It has an incredibly mellow and soft flavor, and the harshness of wheat gives way to vanilla and banana tones.

I hope to one day make a hefe-weizen like Paulaner's. (912 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Nice , VERY drinkable brew.
This hefeweizen is among one of my favorites, I was disappointing with the lack of toasty yeast in the smell and taste as most delicious hefeweizen. However...
TASTE: crisp, subtle citrus notes like warm lemon and over-ripe orange, malts take a very high back seat to this brew, which is appropriate. pumpkin (like) malts do linger on the palate for a minute or two.
SMELL: sweet malts, some root vegetables like pumpkin, and squash (which don't come into the taste much, except for the pumpkin, in which you do taste some)
FEEL: clean, the malts do leave a presence on the back of the palate. (622 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a wonderful cloudy golden color with a beautiful white fluffy head. Smells of bannana, clove and wheat come rushing to the nose while pouring this brew. The taste of this beer is exceptional, so smooth and silky and busting with wheat flavors. The beer is slightly too sweet, but thats nothing big, doesnt take anything away from this beer. This is something I could drink anytime of the year, and it tastes great cold or warm, you just can't go wrong with this one. (472 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Note: In the interest of full disclosure, this is perhaps my favorite beer ever (as you can probably tell by my avatar). So, my review may be positively skewed.

Poured from a 0.5l can into a 0.5l branded Paulaner Weizen glass.

Appearance: Bright golden color with the normal weissbier cloudiness. Full, foamy, sexy head. Dissipates slowly leaving lots of lace.

Smell: Citrusy, with definite hints of lemon and maybe banana. Kind of a grassy hint in the background too.

Taste: This is where the beer and I fall deeply in love with one another! Heavy citrus taste with grassy notes to follow. Awesome aftertaste that lingers for a good time afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as can be. A little heavily carbonated, but not overwhelmingly so.

Drinkability: One of my favorites, if not my favorite, beer. (802 characters)

Paulaner Hefe Weizen...in a bottle

Appearance-vibrant orange with touches of yellow gold, large head that crashes with heavy carbonation before dissipating, cloudy and hazy as one would expect.

Smell-classic notes of yeast with the clove and banana you'd expect from the style. Very strong aroma, also notes of clove spice, alcohol, and toasted bread.

Taste/Mouthfeel-Medium mouthfeel, many of the flavors mentioned in the aroma arrive here in full force, rather than muddle they work very well together. Finishes in one final haze of clove and banana. Extremely strong flavor for a hefe, very enjoyable.

Drinkability-full flavored yet very easy to drink.

Overall-well, I was excited to review this until I saw how many others had. So it's no secret but this is one of the finest Hefes out there, a true representation of the style and also a more full flavored one. Excellent and highly recommended. (905 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow, this is good stuff. Looks real good, smells good, tastes excellent. Well balanced all around, smooth drinking beer. Flavor solidly yeasty but not so much it overwhelms you. Aftertaste a smooth rendition of the base light yeastiness. Mouthfeel is solid. About as drinkable a beer as you can get. Rock and/or roll. (317 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Hmm this does not say "Weissbier Naturtrub" anywhere on it, just "Hefe-Weizen." Not sure why it's under that listing but okay, hundreds of reviews for a hefe-weizen, this is definitely it. Bottle says produced on 08.04 ... hrm.

Pours with a huge, super-fine head that settles slowly and a little unevenly. Beautiful amber color, darker than usual for a hefe but looks great. A ridiculous number of bubble columns rising up. Nice and unfiltered.

Mmm smells delicious. Bananas, some breadiness, sugar. Very sweet. Also wheat and a little bit of lemon. Some spiciness as it warms.

Taste is more lemon wheat and grassiness than bananas. Not as sweet as I expected, in fact a little tart on the finish. Cloves and spices. Gentle yet sophisticated... delicious.

Perfect mouthfeel, especially when you're thirsty in the summer (but I'd drink this all year). Soft, friendly bubbles that make the brew quenching and compliment the taste.

Drinkability? Let's just say I'm really pissed that I only bought one of these. Gonna have to head out ASAP to get many many more. I don't think I'd ever get tired of this beer. I didn't give 5s for the other 4 categoies because I haven't tried that many hefes and I'm being conservative, but it's the best looking/smelling/tasting one I've seen. Nice. (1,296 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Bright cloudy tangerine color...1/2inch dreamsicle colored head...bubbly white flowy lace...and visible carbonation.

S- Banana and possibly plantains...light spice....fruity yeast esters....slightly savory b/c of the wheat.

T- Wheaty/yeasty body....light banana flavors....and a savory sweetness...with a slightly crisp finish.

M/D-high carbonation, medium bodied, and refreshing. for me this beer defines the style....I wish that I could find it on tap again. (472 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Quaffed time and time again -- so I figured it was about time for me to actually review it.

Poured into a tall (22 oz., I believe?) Paulaner glass, a cloudy deep yellow with an incredibly creamy dense "whipped egg white" head. Perfect for the style.

Aroma is fantastic, phenolic and full of bananas, cloves, and a vanilla-like sweetness.

Taste is the quintessential Hefeweizen taste -- sweet vanilla laced bananas, with spices, not only clove, but also nutmeg -- for the sweetness, however, this is never cloying, finishing crisp and bright at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel is excellent: creamy, dense, and oh-so-smooth.

Drinkability is just about perfect...I like to drink this by the liter when possible. I have so many excellent memories of letting collegiate summer afternoons drift by, the sun shining on my face, and a tall glass of Paulaner Hefe beside me.

All in all, one of the world's most perfectly crafted beers. A joy to drink, and eminently better fresh from the tap, as opposed to the bottle. (1,025 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the Hefe-Weizen that all should be compared to. Its a perfect blend of fruityness and malty sweetness thats extremely easy to drink.

On tap at McGoverns: Color is golden dark yellow and very cloudy, with lots of those wheat and yeast chunks flying around. Head was off-white and frothy with some divets and was about two fingers high from the tap. Impressively fresh looking.

Smells just as fresh, lots of fruityness and very sweet and tangy. Aroma is mostly lemony, and hints at banana, honey, clove, peach and orange. Super clean and fresh....oh boy, oh, boy, oh boy, I couldn't wait to drink it.

Ahh...thats better. This tastes amazingly fresh and fruity with just the right amount of malt balanced in so nothing is really overwhelming. But the taste is pretty fruity, kinda lemony/orangey with some vanilla and a nice robust malt backing. Man is it smooth with just the right amount of fruity tang hold. The feel is a lighter medium body with a slight pulpy thickness and has a very light lemony spiced dry finish. I could drink this anytime but it suits warmer weather, but I have one everytime when visiting McGoverns.
If you end up there and order one, make sure to ask them to skip the lemon. They'll stick a wedge on the glass, like it needs it? They know me well enough that I don't need to ask. Norm! (1,329 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 12oz brown glass generic longneck bottle, multicolored on white label

Appearance: cloudy copper color, big off-white head, very good lacing

Smell: nuts, clove, banana, yeast

Taste: medium body, crisp mouth feel, wheat, banana, clove, honey, some yeast, hints of lemon, minor hops in background

Notes: VERY GOOD (336 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

33 cl bottle, BB 07/11, poured into a tulip.

A: A hazy brew moving more towards amber, if not brown-orange than I had expected with a glorious head that doesn't want to drop. 4.5

S: While pouring banana smacks you in the face, later the cloves came through but this is really a banana-centric Hefe. Just up my alley 4.5

T: A viscous brew with low carbonation that has a banana flavour that just sticks to your tongue and lingers seemingly forever. Not a complex beer, but it has a nice balance between the sweetness and the banana with a touch of clove and a hint of spicy hop. 4.5

This is a beer I could drink many too many of... Stellar when fresh. I don't know what more I could ask of a hefe... (702 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a yellow/orange with fluffy head, beautiful hazy appearance that look delicious. Smell is also outstanding, mostly wheat but it smells rich, maybe a hint of banana and I think orange. Very sweet, you pick up more of the citrus in the taste, the wheat is still there but it is all kinda gentle, does not jump out at you. Extremely smooth and clean, goes down very quickly and easily. Not quite creamy but certainly not thin, good carbonation. Overall a very good hefe that I would gladly enjoy at any time. (516 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This had a gorgeous Hefe Weizen appearance. The body was a thick and very hazy orange and the head was monstrous, foaming up rightly. It settled slowly into volcanic pits on top of the bier.

Smell – This is as authentic as it gets. The aroma is pure, unadulterated yeast with some light, fruity notes. You can almost literally chew on the aroma of this weizen.

Taste – This is awesome. The big yeast notes from the nose jumped right into the mouth at first sip (it’s still quite cold). I’m actually mashing my teeth as I drink. I’m sure the flavors would come out even more if I had the patience to let this one warm . . . but I don’t.

There’s a slight uncomfortable sharpness in the hops, which probably is all that’s keeping me from 5ing the taste, but this one is excellent on all accounts. The finish is dominated by the soft, luscious fruits that make up a traditional Hefe Weizen. The banana is wonderfully mixed with some peaches, cherries, and a splash of fresh orange.

Mouthfeel – Medium-bodied and quite big for a weizen, but the story here is the full, fluffy consistency. It’s almost like eating bread dough, it’s just that good.

Drinkability – I’m picking up a case this weekend and vow never to let the supply get below three or four. This is a must have staple for anyone who enjoys the style.

Comments – This is right on par with the WEIHENSTEPHANER with much better availability.

Update – I initially rated this with a 2003 vintage so thought it would be interesting to re-review it after being on the site now for a year and a half. I did a mini taste test with a few other weizens when I had this one, a 2004 vintage.

It really is a terrific example of the style. I feel like I’m going back in time to when I lived in Bayern whenever I drink a Paulaner Hefe Weizen. I personally favor a bit of uneven flavor bias towards the yeast for this particular style, so this one is right up my alley. (1,964 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 500 ML bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a very nice wheat, malt and floral smell.
Appearance- Pours a dark yellow color with some sediment and a large white head.
Taste- The wheat is blended nicely with the malt and is a smooth and flavorful blend.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with light carbonation, has a slightly oily texture that goes well with the flavor.
Overall- A very nice example of a hefeweizen, try it if you haven't had it before. (460 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My second favorite in all the world. Damn... such a high quality hefeweissbier.

I've tried it in bottle and in mini keg and both were exceptional. As you pour it in a 0.5l Paulaner Hefe glass a strong, delicious aroma of wheat strikes you and the first sip takes you to heaven. Lots of flavor and the aftertaste is amazing.

I could drink this beer the rest of my life.... seriously. (384 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Last night, my wife and I split a bottle, paired with a lemony salmon and asparagus. We enjoyed it immensely, it was easily my favorite hefeweisen I've tried to date.

A: a hazy golden/amber color with a thick white head

S: bready and citrus-like. Cloves very identifiable.

T: wow - exceptional. Crisp and clean, with a complex yeasty & spicy flavor. I likened it to a belgian - like a saison almost.

M: carbonation 'tingle' put me off just a little.

D: it paired so well with our dinner, I wished we'd had another bottle (or two). yes, definitely very drinkable... (579 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

I fell in love with this beer five years ago, and still have not had another hefe-weizen that's come close.

Pours with a respectable head. Cloudy, brownish-golden color ... darker than you may expect from a hefe.

Refreshing smell of clove, nutmeg and banana, which is definitely more noticeable (and inviting) as it warms.

Has a light, refreshing citrus flavor up front, and finishes with a pleasantly yeasty, banana-induced flavor on the back-end.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with an appropriate level of carbonation.

Drinkability is fantastic - could easily have another.

If you would like to find an authentic hefe-weizen from which to judge all others, this would be it. (702 characters)

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG