Paulaner Premium Pils - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

good

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Premium Pils Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

"produced on" 03/06, I hope this holds out.
Pours a medium golden straw color with a less intense head than expected, just a covering of big bubbles and good lace on the side. A very clean aroma overall, some light graham like aromas, sweet biscuity malts, just a touch of hops, but I imagine age has hurt this department. It starts sweet on the palate, with the light malts coating the mouth, incredibly clean with a very crisp finish. I also taste some faint spicy hops towards the end, probably Hallertaus. An enjoyable pils, but one I would like to try fresher.

dreadnatty08, Feb 19, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured into a Pilsener glass from the 12oz brown bottle.

Fluffy white head with nice retention and lacing on top of a golden straw body. Aromas of spicy hops and gently malts along with a hint of apples. Flavor is quite mild. Spicy hops are enjoyable as is the bitterness. Malts provide enough to hold the beer together. Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Overall quite enjoyable, but just not enough flavor to keep drinking. Nothing offensive about this one though.

MSchae1017, Feb 14, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

Drank this pre-dinner at 1924 Main in KC.

A: Pours a beautiful golden into the glass. Disappointed with the head retention.
S: Slight hoppiness with a light grainy alt character. Very clean.
T: Crisp and bitter. A slight hop bitterness and lingers. Nice. Love it.
M: Medium-light body. Suffers from low carbonation.
D: Could drink these all night.

All in all a great beer that you can enjoy any day. I absolutely loved it. Needs more carbonation though.

wardough, Feb 08, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful golden colored beer! This Paulaner was brewed in June of 2007. I read this before the first sip and was somewhat worried it would be skunky. Thankfully it tasted rather fresh. Here's to darker bottles!

Bit of a coppery hoppy smell that I have come to associate with an easy going lager. This is a good thing! Nothing at all like I expected.

Smooth with the right amount of bitterness. I was impressed. This is a good lager. I enjoyed this as an after dinner treat. Used the brew to wash down a grilled New York Strip and baked potato and a few fresh onion slices!

Light and easy going with a slightly hoppy aftertaste that is quite enjoyable.

This stlye of beer fits well into my lifestyle with it's character and ability to go with dinner or as a simple refreshing easy drinking lawnmower beer! I will recommend this to a few of my buddies who enjoy this style!

CamuMahubah, Jan 19, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +16.9%

Ha ha. Watch out for this stuff. I was in a nice bar in Vail and there weren't too many choices for tap beer. I started with (and stuck with) this because it was a perfect presentation in a tall glass. The aroma was so good. I didn't think it would kick my butt.

I ended up staggering around a bit. I am glad I didn't have yet another (they are so drinkable, you forget that it will do you in). Then again, I did get a free shot of Patron from the barkeep (it pays to tip nicely). Maybe it was the Patron, or maybe not, but the Paulaner smelled very good and went down easy.

schoolboy, Dec 15, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a bright and clear golden color with a 1/2" white foamy head that has good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing.

The smell is noble hops with a little biscuit in the background. Also I get a little of the yeast, almost diacetyl in likeness.

This has a little bit of pepper in the taste. Otherwise it is straight up Pils. Very light, heavy carbonation, and crisp. This is an easy drinking beer and with the low ABV, very sessionable.

morimech, Nov 21, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong bready malt with a smattering of noble hops.
The taste consisted of robust bready malts and an earthy hop spice.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness with vigorous carbonation.

Overall a very tasty and easy drinking pils.

plaid75, Oct 25, 2007

Purchased a bottle as part of a mixed 6 pack. Bottle was a 12 oz with produced on 0607 date, which is some of the fresher Paulaner that I have seen. I rarely purchase this beer as I seldom see it less than 6 months old on the shelves. This is one of the fresher bottles I have seen, also first time I have seen this at the 40th & Old Cheney HyVee. I added a Original Munchen and an Oktoberfest to my mixed six for a "fresh" reviews because they had produced on 0707 dates.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass. The beer is bright golden and completely clear. My soft slow pour still produced a large white fluffy head about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in height. Head has some good staying power, patches of lace stick to the glass as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Grassy notes are evident first. A touch of breadiness to it as well as it warms slightly. Soft aromas, which I think are typical for this style (or at least a German Pils).

Taste: I expect subtle and I think that is what this delivers. Light maltiness, with a touch of bitterness on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light in body with good carbonation and a slightly sweet finish. Crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: A nice refreshing pilsner that would be great on a warm day. Low ABV, good taste, light bodied, all make this a definite session beer. I wish I could get a "true" pilsner like this from the big 3, fresh, inexpensive, good lager.

BigRedN, Oct 19, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Pilsener brewered by Paulaner
Appearence : pils style
Smell : spicy bitter aroma
Taste : sweetish and bitterrish taste with spice and flowers
Mouthfeel :
Drinkability : good spicy hop flavours, more sweetness than you expect in a pils

Thierry (13/10/2007)

thierrynantes, Oct 13, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a crystal-clear, pale yellow color. Well carbonated with a frothy white head. Wonderful, light hoppy nose. Very clean. About the perfect aroma for a pilsner. There may have been some biscuit in there, too. Body was light. Fairly bitter with lots of hop flavor. Not a whole lot to distract from the hop profile. Balance was definitely toward the hops, but not inappropriately so. Quite dry. Crisp, lively mouthfeel. Drinkability was excellent; it did not seem hard to down this and be ready for more.

Wow, Paulaner has long been one of my favorite breweries but I'd never tried their pils before. My loss; it's very good.

shererjt, Oct 13, 2007

I was served a 12 ounce serving in a plastic cup at the Puyallup, Washington Oktoberfest.

A: It has a clear medium golden color with a small bone-white head that was short lived.

S: It had a grassy and floral hoppy aroma that hid all other aromas other than alcohol.

T: It started with a slight malt sweet burst that was quickly overwhelment by the grassy and spicy hops and dry aftertaste of alachol.

M: Light body with a dry aftertaste.

D: A completely average Pilsener that is over hopped and poorly balanced.

Comment: I will stay away from this pilsener in the future.

dnichols, Oct 08, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle, subtitled "Extra Dry,"

A: Golden, pale, yellow, with a medium, white head, which looks great in the beginning, but fades fast.

S: Primarily bread malt, but quite fragrant and robust for a pils.

T: Great, simple pils taste, very malty, backed with great dry hops, Saaz possibly, maybe Hallertau, maybe both, definitely of the noble variety.

M: I wouldn't call it extra dry, but its plenty dry for me in a pilsner, smooth, and soft.

D: Exceptional drinkability, this was just what I needed on a hot summer night, it would be a great choice for all occasions, in which you need an easy-drinking, tasty beer.

Halcyondays, Aug 07, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

Paulaner Premium Pils pours a golden yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There are some grassy smells in the aroma, but primarily it smells like malt. Malt is pretty strong in this one, the hops come in toward the end. The taste is pretty much dead on for the style. Maybe not my favorite German pils, but definitely pretty good and definitely worth a try.

Drew966, Aug 04, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a light yellow color with decent head that dissipated fairly quickly, but left decent lacing on my glass. Aroma was lightly floral without any trace of skunk. The body being very light makes it a nice session beer or a nice choice on a hot day. Flavor is a little grassy with a very slight citrus taste. A good refresher.

biggmike, Aug 03, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +1.6%

This is a beautiful, crystal clear, straw-colored pils. It pours with a decent fluffy white head which dissipates quickly. Not overly malty or much hop bitterness. Slightly grassy flavor.
Pilsners are generally not rated very highly because they are not terribly complex. But, for easy drinking, they are hard to beat. This is a good, easy drinking, traditional German pils.

pojo41, Jul 29, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

A wonderful summer pils from a wonderful brewer.

Appearance: Straw gold color; Pours with nice flourishing head that sustained well.
Smell: Nice slightly hopped beer. Smelled like a freshly cut lawn.
Taste: Light, crisp flavor. A nice malty foretaste with a dry finish. Reminiscent of Jever pils, but with a more floral flavor of a southern German pilsener.
Mouthfeel: fairly full-bodied for a pils, but with a great malty sweetness/dry hop balance.
Drinkability: With summer in full force now, this beer truly satisfies the thristy drinker. A perfect tonic for those warm, "dog days" of summer.

The brewers at Paulaner seem to click with each lager style they churn out. This was my first "Premium Pils" Paulaner that I've tried. I've been a fan of this brewer for many years, especially of Salvator and the Hefe-weiss. But whereas Salvator is a great, beefy "winter-y" beer, the pils is the perfect compliment to a warm summer day. If you like the Hefe, I'd definitely say you'd wanna give the pils a fair shake. I'd like to try a tap version of this sometime...

RedBaron, Jul 24, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

I was surprised to see that I hadn't reviewed this yet as its fairly easy to find at my local haunts and I'm a sucker for a German Pilsner. I usually can't pass these up. Poured this brown bottle into a pils glass. Head is sticky and has some girth to it. Body is yellow with waves of carbonation.

Smelled like freshly cracked grain. Kind of raw and mostly an herbal hop presence. I would imagine there may even be some saaz in this as the hops are snappy and dry. This is smooth for most of the offering and then it finishes very, very dry. I like this combination. A very good pils. Not up there with the elite but it has no glaring flaws and will quench your thirst without costing you your first born.

Notes: This was an incredibly fresh six pack and tasted just as I remember having at my favorite pub in Bitburg, Germany. Good distribution is something to applaud.

DogFood11, Jun 23, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -1.9%

Oh so slightly hazy golden brew, white lace doesn't have a lot of volume, but lacing is decent.

Biscuity sweet pale malt, with herbal hops backing up. Crisp and clean.

Earthy, grassy hops are a prominent flavor feature, pale malts with a bit of sweet grain husk. Bready finish, mostly clean (just a hint of adjunct grain), slightly dry.

Not a bad pils, with nice flavors of fresh hay, herbal hops, and characteristic German yeast. Recommended for the style, which, while not my favorite, is extremely refreshing at the right time.

BretSikkink, Jun 23, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

A Pils from the big guys? A Pils from München? A Pils from Paulaner? Schauen wir mal!!!

Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr brew at a wonderful facility here in München located east of the Isar. I love being able to ride my bike to work and smelling the aromas from the mash-in and boil. München is special!! Gar keine Frage!!! What the hell are they brewing PILs in München for? Weißbier, Yes! Helles, Yes! Dunkles, Yes! A Pils? I can say this, if you for whatever reason have the opportunity to visit the brewery or are even luckier and know someone that can get you in(I had the pleasure), DO IT!!! Even without the tour its worth it. The brewery is built into a hill and the Biergarten overlooks the downtown area. Very very nice!!! Anyways back to the Bier….

The Bier pours up a big rocky head that clings to glass like its clinging for life. Needless to say it’s very lacey on the glass and close to picture perfect. The color was on the light golden side and very well filtered. The aroma was built with a very nice hop aroma that begins with a grassy/herbal note t and then finishes minty. Doesn’t knock you in the face but is really nicely done. The malt aroma is very soft and delicate. Some hints of grain are to be found in the aroma but they are subtle. The lager yeast shows through with a mild sulphur aroma. The flavor begins with a solid but mild upfront bitterness. This Bier has, surprisingly, a lot of mouth feel for a PILs. Even for a southern German Pils. With this said is still doesn’t exhibit any sweetness due to the smooth bitterness. This Bier is very well balanced. The hops continue their role here with a delicate herbal touch.

Why does Paulaner make a Pils?
Pils in 2005 accounted for 61% of the Bier served in Deutschland….
I have a different opinion…They brew one because they can and they do it well!
Zum Wohl!!!

Ungespundet, Jun 16, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Grooving on pilsners lately, so I thought I'd try this.

Filled my pilsner glass nicely - blond color, and head actually stuck around and left rings of lacing, unlike Pilsner Urquell.

Smell is very, very neutral. I smell absolutely nothing skunky or off, but nothing really wants to stand out, either. Mild grassy hops.This beer is screaming at me. Just shut up about the smell and drink already!

Taste - Pretty standard - taste follows smell here. High marks for being as dry as it suggests - dry but still rather soft. The noble hops are there, some cereal grains are there, but again nothing is standing out. It tastes good, though. A very solid, if unspectacular beer.

Mouthfeel is one of this beer's strong points. Carbonated well and dry, but not harsh at all. Finishes very clean.

Drinkability is exceptional. It couldn't be better. Refreshing and uncomplicated - but still a quality beer. Damn near perfect as session material.

Patrick999, Jun 06, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -38.2%

Violent pour creates a small egg-white head that dies off quickly. Crystal clear, light straw in color.

Smells like some of the Non-alcoholic brews--like raw grains. No discernible hop. Disappointing.

Has a sweetish quality to the taste but has a dry finish. Slight hop in the swallow. The body is appropriate for the style although the carbonation is little high.

Not my cup of tea for a pilsner. It has too many of the bland flavors I associate with the American macros.

smcolw, Jun 02, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +30.4%

This is one of the better of the pilsners anywhere. Appearance might not be the best, but the aroma and especially flavor and mouthfeel are superb! This one poured witih a slight head and no lace. A slightly hazy light amber color. Aroma is a very fragrant hop with light malts. Flavors the same. A crisp beer. Excellent body. Just want to drink more. Very balanced. A premier session beer. Bitter sweet finish.

drpimento, May 01, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this at the Bavarian Bier Cafe, York Street, Sydney.

The German barman warned us that Aussies don't like this sort of beer.... so we gladly accepted the challenge, whilst pretending we didn't know our hefes from our pils....

He gave us a weird look when we later told him it was an excellent example of style, and asked if it had Hallertau in it... ;-)

A: Golden, white, tight head, excellent carbonation & lace

S: Green, herbaceous noble nose. Light malt, grainy/husky notes.

F: Chewy malt up front, backed up with strong but balanced hop flavours. Medium bitterness, and good flavour.

M: Well balanced, thirst quenching, more-ish.

D: It never ceases to amaze me how some beer "professionals" seem to do more to deter drinkers than encourage them.... this is a fine beer, and a shame that "Aussies don't like it".

Methinks the warnings should be replaced with a more positive pitch, and the average Aussie bloke given the chance to experience what pilseners & lagers should really taste like.

vancurly, Apr 08, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz. bottle- color of golden yellow , with a frothy white head - nose of hay , grass , mild hopps , melons , and grains – taste of grain , hay , grassy , malt , and slight bitter hops- body light , crisp , and mildly carbonated – aftertaste of slight sweetness , and low acidity

stephendr, Mar 09, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +10.2%

beer pours a light golen color with a foamy bright-white head,

aroma is of baked rolls with a nice noble hop presence

taste is well-balance herbal hops and brady malt, very clean

mouthfeel, medium bodied smooth and crisp

drinkability, vey good sessioner.

overall, a highly enjoyeable go to pils with very few flaws.

evanackerman, Feb 25, 2007