Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen was originally a seasonal brew, however, is now brewed and enjoyed all year long.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,168 | Reviews: 1,057

Excellent beer! Very rich and original taste.

I really most oktoberfest marzen but this on special.

Appearance=Red/orange in color and two finger head.

Smells=smell caramel and herbs and a hint of vanilla

Taste =. The taste has nice sweet and bitter balance, with malty, caramel and sourdough. It followed by light aromatic bitterness that complements the finish

Mouthfeel =The carbonation is soft which make for a very smooth texture

Overall= It is very very smooth,this is great oktoberfest marzens that you can enjoy. Very well done !

One of my favourites , good body, nice head, well balanced!

I will start right out and admit that this is one of my all-time favorite beers. It is a gorgeous pour with a nice amber color topped with a creamy head, The aroma is malt dominated with a warm caramel aroma lingering above the hop spiciness. The tast is why I love this beer, a full explosive malt flavor dominated with rich caramel and subtle hops spiciness lingering in the mouth. When the first hints of fall are in the air, I could come back to this rich and flavorfull beer again and again. Now if only I could sample the Paulaner Oktoberfest in Germany!

I really enjoyed this oktoberfest marzen.i have had a few other ones,but i must say this one is the best so far.

A=3 finger head,red/orange in color
S=Imagine the smell of fall leaves and you got it!!!very pleasant,with no beer smell thats a plus.
T=A very mild pumpkin flavor at first,then a mild sweetness,then a hint of spice,no awefull aftertaste,but a festive aftertaste(if that makes since!!!!
M=I feel like i just ate an autumn suprise!!!!
D=Very Very Very smooooth,this is one of your oktoberfest marzens that you can just chill out and enjoy....after halfway through the 1st one i was already for my 2nd.Cheers to all!!!

4.94/5  rDev +28%

Wow! This is really fantastic. Pours a deep mahogany with very little head but decent lacing. My bottle says it was brewed on 2/04...oops. It really has held up beautifully though. The aroma is of raisins, caramel and brown sugar. Flavor is a molasses malt profile initially, more raisins, and toffee with a nice mild hoppy bite on the finish to keep it crisp. Everything is so clean and drinkable, yet very complex. The mouthfeel is substantial enough to feel slick on the palate, yet it is also very clean, crisp, and refreshing. I will be buying more of this. Highly Reccomended.

4.92/5  rDev +27.5%

Paulaner Octoberfest my gold standard for Octoberfest beers.

4.85/5  rDev +25.6%

This has quickly become one of my favorite beers. I can't stop thinking about it. Rich amber goodness is my friend. It's hearty and has a high alcohol content, but that doesn't stop it from going down better than any beer. I have put off writing anything about this beer, because I like it so much that I really don't want to try to isolate all the flavors. Paulaner Oktoberfest is more of an experiential brew for me. One day I shall make a pilgrimage to Munich.

4.84/5  rDev +25.4%

Got a .5L brown bottle, poured into my German Weizen glass for for fun.
This is fresh from Munich, got it while I was at Oktoberfest less than a month ago.

The color is leaning toward a gold, orangey in the thicker parts of the glass. Maybe a bit pale, but this seems to be the trend with Märzenbiers of late. Big fluffy rocky head but not much lacing.

It smells wonderful. Pale malt, caramel, hops, slightest hint of alcohol. Smells like Germany and brings back good memories.

The taste is great. Makes me wish I'd gone to the Paulaner festzelt while I had the chance. Again the traditional pale and caramel malts are apparent, but this is noticeably hoppier than other Oktoberfests I've had. Absolutely wonderful example of the style.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with somewhere between light and medium heft. I'd go with light+. it leaves a wonderfully hoppy lingering aftertaste with a dry finish.

Drinkability? All day long if I could get it this fresh.

4.84/5  rDev +25.4%

Very pleasing malty aroma. Full somewhat creamy head that thins then becomes lacey. Bright and clear, with amber color. Nice malt characteristics throughout, with slight roast and caramel taste. Hops noted in its little dryness and taste slightly in finish, but never more than the malt. Medium mouth feel with a grainy quality. I've always considered this one of the better Oktoberfest beers.

4.8/5  rDev +24.4%

I just bought the whole damn keg. Several of us killed this beautiful keg in one night celebrating my wife’s graduation from law school.

The taste is slightly bitter and nutty, There is an effervescent bite that is just right. This is As far as Oktoberfest beers go this is hands down one of the best and just fresh out for this season too. Fortunately I have connections at our local Spec's that was able to hook me with this fresh shipment the week they arrived.

This is their best year so far and the keg is the only way to go.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Paulaner Oktoberfest was one of my first expeditions outside the macro brew box. To this day (15 years later) it remains one of my favorite beers. Malty, yeasty, and smooth as the day is long.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Of the many Oktoberfest biers - this one is on top! I love the slightly sweet finish of this beer. The finish is slightly more robust than some of the other Oktoberfest biers.
Although - tasted back to back with Hoffbrau they are both very similar.
I have not had the chance to try the Augustiner Brau Oktoberfest -
Ohne geht no!
Ein mal beir bitte!

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a beautiful orange amber color with a cream colored head that lasts for quite some time.

The smell is a wonderful malt smell. Very sweet and bready(if that is a word)

The taste is of toasted malt and carmel initially with a little hops mixed in as well. I think the taste is very well balanced.

The mouthfeel is maybe a little thinner than I would prefer but still good.

The best Oktoberfest I have had. Its a style that I have not had a lot of but to me this beer is great. I will definitely be picking up more of this beer this season.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Flavor, aroma, mouth feel. This one hits all the important high points for me. Rich, chocolate nose. A combination of sweet and bitter overtones beautifully balanced. Rich caramel flavors. Lovely carbonation--it is enough to notice without distracting from flavor and aroma. An almost perfect cool-weather brew.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Super tasty. Low head minus an aggressive pour. It has a good light brown red color, and light grainy taste. It goes surprisingly well with any good spicy beef and potato dish.

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer poured a head with large bubbles. The body was clear and the hue was amber. There was good lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. A mild aftertaste was observed with this beer.I enjoyed this brew due to its very sweet aroma and I found it to be smooth tasting which is very much to my liking unlike those brews that taste like strong coffee.This is a brew that I would enjoy drinking all night at a bar or party.

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance: A little light in color but nice with a good thick head and nice lacing.

Taste: Unbelievable. I almost fell over when I took my first sip of this. I've had a lot of beers in my day and I expected this to be good but not this good. I was walking up the stairs and casually took a sip and it shocked me to the point that I literally had to stop walking. The taste is so well balanced. It's so well balanced that I have difficulty tasting the different ingredients. It's like this beer wasn't made with hops, barley and yeast but with some sort of general beer ingredient. Like a milkshake - you wouldn’t try to taste the different ingredients because there is only one. It's like this beer has one ingredient!

Mouthfeel: this beer has a nice thick taste that coats the mouth and throat with that perfect flavor.

Drinkability: I want to drink this continuously forever.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been enjoying this fine brew since 1981 and I do feel it is in the top 3 True Oktoberfest creations.

I could do the dry mundane review that would help no one. SO, I will not, I will just call it like it is. I have no grass or bubble gum remarks, it is simply a brew conforming to the best purity law ever: the Reinheitsgebot, and that has always been good enough for me-over 400 years of true brewing!

It is a fine beer on its own if you like the amber side. Extremely well crafted and pure. It is one of the original beers that qualified for the actual Oktoberfest. Tested by time and true, a flavor of history that is so damn enjoyable.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Side-by-side with the Sam Adams Oktoberfest and this beer made it no contest, and I really like the Sam Adams version. I mean, it just absolutely blew it away in mouthfeel, smell, flavor, malt, everything. It was a suprise to say the least, so I'll be doing it with the Spaten offering too. Hey, what can I say! It's that time of the year!

4.67/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Found this at a place in SF. Whenever they have it, I gotta order it. Not too many quality märzens out there, but this is definitely one.

4.66/5  rDev +20.7%

12oz bottle into a frozen mug.

A - Beautiful, crystal clear dark, autumnal amber. Pretty white head that dissipates quickly, leaving little lace.

S - Typical fresh "hay field" smell of a well-crafted euro-lager. Not special, just lagery goodness. Would love to smell a bit more crystal in this one.

T - The taste of any world class lager with some extra caramel and honey notes. The hop bitterness comes out a little more as it warms up.

M - A bit dry, especially at the end, but crisp and refreshing.

O - What a great lager! I'd only had Sam Adams Oktoberfest before this and I thought it was pretty darned good and looked forward to it every Autumn. This was just such an incredibly better Oktoberfest beer. Paulaner Oktoberfest is available at my bottleshop year round and it's going to be a trial to make myself wait until Autumn to buy it.

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours with a nice head that sadly doesn't stay put for too long. The color's a pretty orange/amber hue that is perfectly clear from the heavy filtering. The aroma is sweet malt with the smallest touch of hops. The flavor is mostly the same as the smell...all sweet, bready malt with a crisp, clean mouthfeel.

A consistently great example of the Marzen style.

4.65/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a dark amber with brown highlights, a big-bubbled head that fades to a ring, and sticky lacing on the glass. The nose is nicely expressive while maintaining a cleanliness characteristic of the style. Aromas of spice, vienna malts, and raw grain. Rich, sweet, chewy malts are the centerpiece of the taste here, but they're expertly balanced with dusky, earthy hops that are perfectly bitter. Mouthfeel is thick, robust, and hugely malty, with medium carbonation that doesn't need to be any bigger. This is one excellent Marzen; kind of prototypical of the style. Great.

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

12oz bottle purchased from Enchanted Foest Wine and Spirits (Yes we have the new batch of Oktoberfest in and it's only July!)

Pours a lively copper colour with decent head that reduces to thin lacing. I didn't even have to stick my nose into it to smell it, the aroma filled the room insted. Reminded me of biscuits with butter and molasses from my farm days, very rich smell. The taste bore through the smell, molasses and biscuits with a hint of spice and a balacing amout of hop bitterness. Simply awesome and captivating it holds your attention and slowly recedes to a lingering finish with only slightest hint of alcohol at the end. Definately has re-sold me on the style as it's been 10 years since I last had an Oktoberfest and it wasn't nearly as good as this.

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG