2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Oktoberfest-MärzenPaulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen was originally a seasonal brew, however, is now brewed and enjoyed all year long.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-11-2001)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,704 | Reviews: 1,013 | Show All Ratings:
brakspear

Wisconsin

I will start right out and admit that this is one of my all-time favorite beers. It is a gorgeous pour with a nice amber color topped with a creamy head, The aroma is malt dominated with a warm caramel aroma lingering above the hop spiciness. The tast is why I love this beer, a full explosive malt flavor dominated with rich caramel and subtle hops spiciness lingering in the mouth. When the first hints of fall are in the air, I could come back to this rich and flavorfull beer again and again. Now if only I could sample the Paulaner Oktoberfest in Germany!

09-01-2002 10:47:36 | More by brakspear
wray7276

I really enjoyed this oktoberfest marzen.i have had a few other ones,but i must say this one is the best so far.

A=3 finger head,red/orange in color
S=Imagine the smell of fall leaves and you got it!!!very pleasant,with no beer smell thats a plus.
T=A very mild pumpkin flavor at first,then a mild sweetness,then a hint of spice,no awefull aftertaste,but a festive aftertaste(if that makes since!!!!
M=I feel like i just ate an autumn suprise!!!!
D=Very Very Very smooooth,this is one of your oktoberfest marzens that you can just chill out and enjoy....after halfway through the 1st one i was already for my 2nd.Cheers to all!!!

10-22-2010 03:25:26 | More by wray7276
bbluemzbeer

I really most oktoberfest marzen but this on special.

Appearance=Red/orange in color and two finger head.

Smells=smell caramel and herbs and a hint of vanilla

Taste =. The taste has nice sweet and bitter balance, with malty, caramel and sourdough. It followed by light aromatic bitterness that complements the finish

Mouthfeel =The carbonation is soft which make for a very smooth texture

Overall= It is very very smooth,this is great oktoberfest marzens that you can enjoy. Very well done !

07-03-2013 14:39:24 | More by bbluemzbeer
HossMcGraw

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

Wow! This is really fantastic. Pours a deep mahogany with very little head but decent lacing. My bottle says it was brewed on 2/04...oops. It really has held up beautifully though. The aroma is of raisins, caramel and brown sugar. Flavor is a molasses malt profile initially, more raisins, and toffee with a nice mild hoppy bite on the finish to keep it crisp. Everything is so clean and drinkable, yet very complex. The mouthfeel is substantial enough to feel slick on the palate, yet it is also very clean, crisp, and refreshing. I will be buying more of this. Highly Reccomended.

09-11-2006 16:49:53 | More by HossMcGraw
musicman575

4.88/5  rDev +26.1%

This has quickly become one of my favorite beers. I can't stop thinking about it. Rich amber goodness is my friend. It's hearty and has a high alcohol content, but that doesn't stop it from going down better than any beer. I have put off writing anything about this beer, because I like it so much that I really don't want to try to isolate all the flavors. Paulaner Oktoberfest is more of an experiential brew for me. One day I shall make a pilgrimage to Munich.

09-25-2010 03:47:36 | More by musicman575
garymuchow

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Very pleasing malty aroma. Full somewhat creamy head that thins then becomes lacey. Bright and clear, with amber color. Nice malt characteristics throughout, with slight roast and caramel taste. Hops noted in its little dryness and taste slightly in finish, but never more than the malt. Medium mouth feel with a grainy quality. I've always considered this one of the better Oktoberfest beers.

12-15-2001 22:03:54 | More by garymuchow
AmberMan22

4.85/5  rDev +25.3%

Got a .5L brown bottle, poured into my German Weizen glass for for fun.
This is fresh from Munich, got it while I was at Oktoberfest less than a month ago.

The color is leaning toward a gold, orangey in the thicker parts of the glass. Maybe a bit pale, but this seems to be the trend with Märzenbiers of late. Big fluffy rocky head but not much lacing.

It smells wonderful. Pale malt, caramel, hops, slightest hint of alcohol. Smells like Germany and brings back good memories.

The taste is great. Makes me wish I'd gone to the Paulaner festzelt while I had the chance. Again the traditional pale and caramel malts are apparent, but this is noticeably hoppier than other Oktoberfests I've had. Absolutely wonderful example of the style.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with somewhere between light and medium heft. I'd go with light+. it leaves a wonderfully hoppy lingering aftertaste with a dry finish.

Drinkability? All day long if I could get it this fresh.

10-29-2009 17:35:27 | More by AmberMan22
AtrumAnimus

4.83/5  rDev +24.8%

I just bought the whole damn keg. Several of us killed this beautiful keg in one night celebrating my wife’s graduation from law school.

The taste is slightly bitter and nutty, There is an effervescent bite that is just right. This is As far as Oktoberfest beers go this is hands down one of the best and just fresh out for this season too. Fortunately I have connections at our local Spec's that was able to hook me with this fresh shipment the week they arrived.

This is their best year so far and the keg is the only way to go.

08-16-2005 19:31:31 | More by AtrumAnimus
hckyfn9999

Missouri

4.78/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours a beautiful orange amber color with a cream colored head that lasts for quite some time.

The smell is a wonderful malt smell. Very sweet and bready(if that is a word)

The taste is of toasted malt and carmel initially with a little hops mixed in as well. I think the taste is very well balanced.

The mouthfeel is maybe a little thinner than I would prefer but still good.

The best Oktoberfest I have had. Its a style that I have not had a lot of but to me this beer is great. I will definitely be picking up more of this beer this season.

09-03-2006 03:07:54 | More by hckyfn9999
hotstuff

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer poured a head with large bubbles. The body was clear and the hue was amber. There was good lacing on the sides of my glass with this beer. A mild aftertaste was observed with this beer.I enjoyed this brew due to its very sweet aroma and I found it to be smooth tasting which is very much to my liking unlike those brews that taste like strong coffee.This is a brew that I would enjoy drinking all night at a bar or party.

07-20-2003 22:37:10 | More by hotstuff
absolutbc2001

4.75/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance: A little light in color but nice with a good thick head and nice lacing.

Taste: Unbelievable. I almost fell over when I took my first sip of this. I've had a lot of beers in my day and I expected this to be good but not this good. I was walking up the stairs and casually took a sip and it shocked me to the point that I literally had to stop walking. The taste is so well balanced. It's so well balanced that I have difficulty tasting the different ingredients. It's like this beer wasn't made with hops, barley and yeast but with some sort of general beer ingredient. Like a milkshake - you wouldn’t try to taste the different ingredients because there is only one. It's like this beer has one ingredient!

Mouthfeel: this beer has a nice thick taste that coats the mouth and throat with that perfect flavor.

Drinkability: I want to drink this continuously forever.

09-09-2006 06:34:06 | More by absolutbc2001
Dunderbaks

4.73/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been enjoying this fine brew since 1981 and I do feel it is in the top 3 True Oktoberfest creations.

I could do the dry mundane review that would help no one. SO, I will not, I will just call it like it is. I have no grass or bubble gum remarks, it is simply a brew conforming to the best purity law ever: the Reinheitsgebot, and that has always been good enough for me-over 400 years of true brewing!

It is a fine beer on its own if you like the amber side. Extremely well crafted and pure. It is one of the original beers that qualified for the actual Oktoberfest. Tested by time and true, a flavor of history that is so damn enjoyable.

11-02-2012 21:28:22 | More by Dunderbaks
MusicmanSD

4.72/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Side-by-side with the Sam Adams Oktoberfest and this beer made it no contest, and I really like the Sam Adams version. I mean, it just absolutely blew it away in mouthfeel, smell, flavor, malt, everything. It was a suprise to say the least, so I'll be doing it with the Spaten offering too. Hey, what can I say! It's that time of the year!

09-11-2008 06:21:00 | More by MusicmanSD
MJR

Missouri

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%

Pours with a nice head that sadly doesn't stay put for too long. The color's a pretty orange/amber hue that is perfectly clear from the heavy filtering. The aroma is sweet malt with the smallest touch of hops. The flavor is mostly the same as the smell...all sweet, bready malt with a crisp, clean mouthfeel.

A consistently great example of the Marzen style.

09-25-2002 15:43:05 | More by MJR
geexploitation

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a dark amber with brown highlights, a big-bubbled head that fades to a ring, and sticky lacing on the glass. The nose is nicely expressive while maintaining a cleanliness characteristic of the style. Aromas of spice, vienna malts, and raw grain. Rich, sweet, chewy malts are the centerpiece of the taste here, but they're expertly balanced with dusky, earthy hops that are perfectly bitter. Mouthfeel is thick, robust, and hugely malty, with medium carbonation that doesn't need to be any bigger. This is one excellent Marzen; kind of prototypical of the style. Great.

10-22-2006 02:13:06 | More by geexploitation
BrSpiritus

Philippines

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%

12oz bottle purchased from Enchanted Foest Wine and Spirits (Yes we have the new batch of Oktoberfest in and it's only July!)

Pours a lively copper colour with decent head that reduces to thin lacing. I didn't even have to stick my nose into it to smell it, the aroma filled the room insted. Reminded me of biscuits with butter and molasses from my farm days, very rich smell. The taste bore through the smell, molasses and biscuits with a hint of spice and a balacing amout of hop bitterness. Simply awesome and captivating it holds your attention and slowly recedes to a lingering finish with only slightest hint of alcohol at the end. Definately has re-sold me on the style as it's been 10 years since I last had an Oktoberfest and it wasn't nearly as good as this.

07-22-2006 11:34:41 | More by BrSpiritus
putnam

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted after a Widmer Oktoberfest.

It is a darker bronze. The liquid is clear. There is a curdled, pearlescent foam on top.

The nose is perfect, with rich, steamy malted barley perfume. Exactly like the smell in the alley next to the brewery. Sunshine on stucko walls. Sweating wheat and barley seeds.

Rich, raisiny caramel malt is in the mix, but not more than a feather's weight. The sugars are completely attenuated and toasted to dryness. Beautiful.

A silky robe of fine malt obscures the dense, bitter hop residue. So the fresh hop flavor budlets are boiled-millet smooth but puffy and airy.

Fantastic achievement.

10-31-2002 14:25:20 | More by putnam
SkeeterHawk

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Pours a very clear reddish amber color with about an inch of head after a pretty aggressive pour. The head is off white, and is made up of thick fluffy bubbles, and maintained for over a minute.

Aroma: Sweet toasty malts dominate the aroma profile. I can pick up a bit of floral hops lingering in there, but the malt rules the day.

Taste: Lot of toasty flavors in the beer also. The beer comes across sweet overall, but doesn’t finish syrupy. The carbonation and attenuation leave your palate feeling refreshed rather than like they just got dumped on. There is a bit of bittering hops in the finish, but still the malt is the most notable presence.

Opinion: This is a really clean and refreshing beer. I am eating it with pizza now, and it compliments the flavor nicely. This is one of those tasty brews that you can drink all year...not just in the fall. I highly recommend trying this one.

11-04-2005 21:47:59 | More by SkeeterHawk
CU570M

Washington

4.6/5  rDev +18.9%

Honey-nut color with medium cotton white head. Head almost vanished in a matter of seconds. The smell is of toasted barley and honey. Tastes of toasted honey, sweet not bitter at all. Very very smooth on the way down the throat, and has a very high drinkability. This is one of the best well rounded beers I've had.

11-02-2006 20:43:46 | More by CU570M
ichigodisaster

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Wow. This is my first beer of the style, but I am highly impressed!

Head seemed to vanish pretty fast and didn't leave any lacing. Beautiful amber color. It smells so good! I couldn't help smelling it every sip that I took. Smells heavily of carmel, like that of carmel apples, and maybe a bit of clove.

This is a tasty beer. Warm carmel, slightly bready, some autumn spices, and very toasty. It's slightly creamy to boot. Also toffee is present on the finish with a small hop bite. Yum!

It's very smooth and pleasant going down. I can't wait to get my hands on more!

09-14-2005 23:28:47 | More by ichigodisaster
KodyBrannon

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer poured a nice amber color with an off white 2-finger head, with a slight hoppy scent to it. This beer had a hop flavor to it, but was also very sweet. A little bit more sweeter than most oktoberfests i have had. Very enjoyable. I could drink this beer agian.

10-04-2007 14:19:13 | More by KodyBrannon
JonB1958

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Over this last season, this has become my favorite beer of all time, and that's saying something. But the quality seems to be divergent from one bottle to the next, as I've had a few sub par bottles. I've also had it from 5-litre mini-kegs, and they're much better and more consistent.

It pours a rich dark amber color, with little or no head on it. What head there is quickly disappears, although it does leave nice laces down the glass as you drink.

The aroma is heavenly, conjuring up an almost candy sweetness to it, like nothing I've experienced before.

The flavor is of course very good in my opinion: It's extraordinarily smooth and malty, with really big flavor and a sweet finish.

If you like this style--or even if you don't--you deserve to give this one a try.

12-21-2007 02:58:17 | More by JonB1958
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Enjoyed on tap at McNellie's Public House in OKC (beer #3 in my quest to enjoy 200 beers at this fine establishment)

Clear amber brew with fluffy white head. Aroma is nice and malty. Flavor is nice. Clean and crisp. Reminds me a lot of Paulaner Salvator but maybe a tinge lighter and cleaner. This one also reminds me just a little bit of Warsteiner in its flavorful clean crispness.

Everything is in balance. There's some malt richness, some coppery/minerally notes. Some hops. Very clean flavor. One of the other reviewers said this one had a "cracker like grain finish." That seems pretty accurate to me.

Mouthfeel is good. Just a little carbonation prickle on the tongue.

Excellent session beer. Very drinkable. I think I've found my new favorite Oktoberfest beer.

10-15-2010 20:21:23 | More by jmbranum
aaronh

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours with a nice white head on a copper body. The aroma is fabulous, with sweet floral smells and a hint of spices reminiscent of nutmeg. The head leaves a light lace on the glass. The flavor is very rewarding. Sweetness balanced wonderfully by hop bitterness. This is my favorite O'fest by far. It feels good from the time you take the first sip to till you finish the last drink, which could be sevral hours and several beers down the road. Definitely need a case of this next year. Finally an Oktoberfest beer that I don't feel the need to compromise flavor or aroma for drinkability.

10-17-2002 20:35:24 | More by aaronh
JayTheFinn

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

Paulaner makes some good beers from what I can tell and this is no exception!

A - Slightly reddish brown body with a decent off-white head. Little bit of lacing too.
S - Not very big nose. Kind of a subtle honey scent.
T - That honey scent is huge in the taste! Very pleasureable indeed! Smooth sweet flavor. It's awesome!
M - Not a massive mouthfeel, but the flavor spreads around the tongue well enough.
D - Marvelously drinkable, even more so if you like a little sweetness in your beer.

09-09-2006 02:18:33 | More by JayTheFinn