Salvator Doppel Bock - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001

This unfiltered bottom fermented double bock beer has been brewed for over 375 years--always adhering to the original recipe. The taste is unmistakable, with its smooth chocolate flavor, robust dark caramel maltiness and a light note of hops--providing a nice intensity on the palate.
Reviews: 1,302 | Hads: 2,475

Each time I sample a doppelbock, I thank GOD for gifting us humans with beer. This is definitely my favorite type of beer.

Appearance: Darkish, reddish, with a nice thick head! It screams of quality!

Smell: Almost like liquid heavenly perfume, but in a good delectable way. Smells very appealing

Taste: Quality bread, aged fruits, quality liquid nutrition--as the Monks called it-LIQUID BREAD! So delicious. One of the highest quality beers you're going to ever taste

Mouthfeel: I say this, surprisingly, because of its high alcohol level--and yet this brew is so tasty and delicious and not overpowering. It almost feels like a king to be enjoying this wonderful brew. Thanks to Christ our KING!

Overall: This delicious brew goes well with just about anything. Alone, it's a wonderful nutritious treat. With food, it's an amazing complement. This is a beer that one must taste to truly behold the wonders of Paulaner. I am a huge fan of Paulaner. Their Oktoberfest, their Original, and their Hefe are quality brews---but their Salvator--the ORIGINAL DOPPELBOCK....brother it's on a WHOLE other level! (1,107 characters)

The Salvator Doppel Bock caught my eye as I browsed the cooler at my local package store. Pour yielded a medium sized creamy tan head that quickly dispersed. Appearance is a most enticing copper-bronze. Smell is sweet with spicy alcohol notes and a buttery biscuit smell is also present--again, very promising. Taste reflects the nose, with a sweet start, bread or biscuit flavors in the middle and a very faint alcohol spicyness to finish--And that's just one sip! It is not the most complex beer I have ever tasted, but the flavors are in perfect balance. I have had only a few beers of this style, but this is by far my favorite thus far, and definitely my favorite Paulaner--Respect!

I will say no more, but let my perfect '5' be a clear statement, that although this beer could be changed, it could never be improved! (825 characters)

Best dopplebock out there for sure. This is an exceptionally smooth beer with a great taste and finish. The abv makes it an exceptional value for the money. Available at most fine package stores, I highly recommend this tasty brew. I am looking forward to finding it on tap. (274 characters)

My favorite style of beer, a Doppelbock is as close to heaven as I will get in a glass. I only wish more brewers would attempt to make this beer.

A: Nice dark red color with a decent amount of head

S: A very strong malt aroma rises off of the glass and into the nose :)

T: Very complex malt taste with an almost bread-like flavor to it, fruits, and other assorted goodies are also attached. Very syrupy taste while being very smooth. I don't detect any alchol flavor.

MF: Feels great to me. Very filling and rewarding to drink this. Again, no alcohol flavor.

D: Very drinkable brew, one of my favorites. It makes a nice companion to Celebrator. That beer has the chocolate, toffee flavor down pat while this brew has less of the chocolate taste and more of the “bread” taste going for it. I could definitely drink this every night. (859 characters)

Paulaner Salvator DoppleBock is my favorite beer. Hands Down. No questions asked...no exceptions. This beer is really strong. I can barely drink a six pack of it and after that Im 9 shits to the wind. I love the rich dark coffee like malty aroma I come to expect from my favorite beers. I should note with my reviews you wont find any technical aspects here...just a philosophical type review about the goodness of a beer. Consider my reviews a commercial for whatever beer I'm reviewing. Again this beer is quite a delight if you have the luxury of having a store that carries it. A dark, rich malty beer from the heartland of beer. Never a dull moment. White people love wayne brady becuase he makes bryant gumble look like malcom x. (735 characters)

I fell in love with Salvator Doppel Bock the very first time I drank it in Munich about 20 years back. I recall it was our first evening in Munich and we went to view the Rathaus-Glockenspiel of Munich as it chimed and marched thru its summer 5pm machinations. Afterwards we sought a place to drink and catch a bite to eat. We came upon the Ratskeller of the Rathaus. I asked the waiter for his recommendation for a beer to drink and he brought me a Salvator Doppel Bock. It was perfect choice. It has been a the top of my list ever since.

I wish I would come upon it in draught form. If I get back to Germany, I will seek it out on draught.

It is a most satisfying beer. I like it best in cold weather, but would never turn it down at any time of the year. It is the best of bock beers. (790 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +27.1%

Cascading into my Paulaner Weissbier glass, Salvator stretches his arms and presents a lovely amount of carbonation, as well as a distinctive cream-colored head. Lovely, copper-y sunset color to the brew. Sweet malt BACKBONE, fruity esters, minimal, although meaningful german hop presence. Almost champagne like in its' effervescence. Refreshing, as well as satisfying. Decieving as can be for a 7.5 ABV ale. My absolute favorite, and a steal at 2.59 for 16.9oz. (463 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Wow. Simply Wow. Probably my favorite beer yet. I was expecting something like the Celebrator, which is an amazing beer as well. I didn't expect the fruit and citrus that the Salvator gave me. I guess that's the difference between Belgian and German Dopplebocks.

Poured into a snifter. Modest 1/4 white head on a ruby and straw colored clear brew. I smiled just at the color. I also took some pictures because I was so impressed.

Smelled of tropical fruit like strawberry and guava. A little orange and lemon was also present. There was a nice sweet malt base too.

The taste was described by my wife as "liquid sunshine." It was just that. Fruity and a good yeast flavor, with a sweet but light malt character. Super well balanced, and full of fruit flavors like raspberry and strawberry and guava.

The mouthfeel was pretty good. Good carbonation with a clean aftertaste. It finished very clean and satisfying on the palate.

I could drink this stuff all day, and pretty much did. (984 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.8%

(The ratings above are of my most recent tasting)

Review from May 11, 2012: I decided to re-review this beer, as I think I may have had a bad bottle before.

Incredible rich malty aroma. Pours a thick dark honey-colored liquid with an orange hue. Has a short but respectable tan head.

Lots and lots of malty goodness. Lots of maple. Some spices. Just a little bit of hops. Some dark wheat bread. A little bit of fruityness in there too. Lingering rich aftertaste. Very well-balanced.

Medium to thick mouthfeel. Very pleasant.

Overall, an excellent beer. One of my favorites --- mostly because it is just a little different than anything else. Salvator just has something special about it that makes it all come together.

Maybe the key for this beer is to buy it fresh?

---
Review from Feb. 5, 2007:
Ratings: AP 4.0/S 4.5/T 4.0/MF 4.0/D 4.0

A nice amber brew, almost clear, with very little head.

The aroma is this beer's best aspect. It has a real freshness with some hops and some malt sweetness.

The flavor is not as rich as I remembered in the past, but there is a fair bit of maple and some hop notes which is nice.I also really like this balance of this beer. (1,175 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

It is one of my favorites it turned me on to dopple bock. When the income tax refund comes in gonna get me some. Its not so expensive, I'm just el pooro. (153 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.8%

A classic Munich doppel bock (designed for fasting monks during Lent)....very similar to Celebrator.

A: Beautiul light reddish-amber, crystal clear, with a very frothy, tight-bubbled long lasting head, leaving generous lacing on the glass.

S: Clean rich caramel malts...zero hops apparent, which is exactly right for this style. Most beer drinkers (especially IPA drinkers) will find the aroma way too sweet and syrup-like for their taste... But of course one has to have an open mind-and-palate!

T: VERY malty, but, without a barley-wine syrupy finish. The hops give it a clean thirst-quenching quality....without butting in on the deep, complex malt character. Bock's are ALL about malt, so hops are only there to bring out the malt NOT be noticeable.

M: Mouthfeel is gentle and round, but again without any cloying syrup character found in bigger beers. Definitely a heavier mouthfeel than lower alcohol brews, but since the hops clean the palate, it doesn't impress one as heavy.

O: A really excellent example of the style--and at a reasonable price (paid less than 10 at Total for a 6er).
I compared this side by side with Bell's renowned Consecrator at $15, and Salvator is definitely equal (or better, in some ways). Of course Germans should get their own beer styles right... (1,289 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +23.8%

One of the tastier beer styles in my experience, I have had many BMC drinkers tell me that doppelbocks taste delicious.

This beer pours a transparent dark amber color with a thick creamy head. Lots of sticky lace.

t has the wonderful doppelbock smell, phenolic, toffee, sweet malts and caramel.

This beer is easy to drink and has a malty doppelbock taste. It matches the complexity of Celebrator and is equally drinkable. No alcohol that I coul discern.

In my experience this beer and Abita Turbo - Dog are the beers for fried turkey. The maltiness offsets the sharp spicieness of the Zataran's Crab Boil that we inject into the bird.

Never had fried turkey? Sad. (680 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +23.5%

This is a doppel that I truly enjoy drinking and this is one of my favorite beers! To me it has a superb taste and goes down very smooth and easy. This beer poured a medium head with medium sized bubbles. The nose was malty and the body was clear and this beer had a brown hue. (277 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +23.3%

Boy do I love doppel's..I have a hard time picking a favorite between the big hitters. This is another dandy...Copper/bronze in color...soft lace throughout...tremendous aroma...fruity with dark red cherries coming through on the nose...very malty and sweet on the buds...but at least to me, not too sweet. Just a hint of alchohol on the finish..very smooth...and a very complex taste...tough to identify everything I am tasting but at different spots I taste the dark red cherries...bread...a hint of caramel..a hint of maybe bourbon...very complex but wonderful. As I grow as a taster I hope to better characterize what I am tasting in beers like this, but for now this will have to suffice..(there is a lot more here in this taste than I can put to words though)... (771 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Light tan to Copper

S: sweet smell, maybe oaken hints

T: Was accurate for a German Dopple, it was smooth and easy to drink. We drank at 57F (12 C)so the extra alchol wasnt apparent.

M: I smelled the and tasted like a heavy bier but the mothfeel was light, the appreance tricks the eye.

O: This is one of great Dopplebock's, but drink it just below room tempature to get the wonderful real experience. Grabbed one from the fridge after our tasting and the cold (42 F) changed the taste, it needs to warm to truely be at its best.

Serving type: bottle (558 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

HAd this one vom Fass recently and it is much better than the bottled stuff (who would have thought ;O)

It pours the same colour as the bottled brew which is pretty good but the smell and tatste are even more pronounced stronger fruitier and maltier.

It is one of those miracle beers where you just cannot feel the alcohol and I just kept on drinking it! (356 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

i just tried this for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Reminded me of a Belgian. Very smooth and sweet, but the maltiness does eventually feel heavy on you. If I am gonna have just one beer this is a good one. Very satisfying. (242 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: A surprisingly pale amber with gold undertones; looks more like a WCPA than a bock. Still, it's a nice-looking beer that pours with a finger of rocky off-white head. The head fades quickly. Surprisingly active carbonaton. Thin lacing.

Smell: Wow. Rich and incredibly complex. Starts with rich sweet malt and apple yeast esters. Soon, wave after wave emerges, chocolate, caramel, cherry, buttered rum, vanilla--it would take a nose more trained than mine to pick out everything. Superb.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Ohhoho YEAH. Rich malt and chocolate coats the tongue, with hints of caramel, black raspberry, cherry brandy--it never ends. There's a bit of alcohol heat at the finish and perhaps the slightest hop bite. The mouthfeel is equally fantastic, smooth and chewy, with just enough carbonation to tickle the tongue. Where all of the initial fizz went, I have no idea.

Drinkability: Smooth mouthfeel, fragrant, delicious... just keep 'em comin'. Oh wait, it's 7.5% ABV--don't.

IMHO, this is THE dopplebock. I can't imagine how it could be any better, absolutely fantastic. One of the best beers I've had, period. (1,132 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +22.3%

This is a new favorite for me. What a fine example of a doppel in the true German style. Very clean pour with great head and smell. Rich fruit and high ABV make this beer something truly special. I have not been able to find this beer many places but was able to get hooked up with a case last week. What a great taste with food, can hold up to rich and mild foods alike... I will definitely add this to my list of must haves. (426 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +22%

A: Bright copper color, creamy and compact foamy head with two fingers thick, no bubbles and good lacing;

S: Complex, sweet malt, caramel and molasses, perfumed essences and spicy hops;

T: Malt, tamarind and maple syrup with spicy hops, there's a background of alcohol;

M: very notorious the ABV in the throat and nose, medium bitterness, robust body and low carbonation;

D: The best Paulaner i've tried. (408 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

Well! i tried today this excelent german beer and i was it succesfully expectative cover.

Very good head and cloudy amber aperance and smell of toasted malts & fruity citric and caramel aromas.
Excelent taste with the exact bitternes with caramel and toasted malt... the aftertaste y very long

Definitevly one of my new favorites from now on

cheers (352 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +21%

This is one badass Doppelbock. Many others are too thick and sweet for me but this one strikes a perfect balance. The apperance was great with a nice reddish brown color and great head. The smell was a bit subtle but I could detect some nice cinnamon and sweet fruit scents. The taste and mouthfeel were out of this world. Sweet malts dominate most of the flavor profile but not in a way that makes it undrinkable, and there is a great dry/hoppy character in the finnish that perfectly balances out the maltiness of the front end. A extremley drinkable Doppel goes along side the Celebrator as my favorite beers of the style. (625 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

This is my first beer of this style. And damn am I impressed! Copper in color with a small tan head, this beer smells amazingly of caramel, toffee, sweetness, and maybe even a hint of smoke. This is such a tasty brew; caramel and toffee come through strongly, as well as malt, and then a dry finish. No bitterness whatsoever and no hint of the 7.5% ABV, making it temptingly dangerous. :) I don't feel as if I could drink many of these in a row though. It was very thick in my stomach for some reason, which is odd since I have been known to down many stouts in a row sometimes. But regardless, I very quickly just became a fan of this style. (642 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%

500ml bottle poured into a Hobgoblin pint pot.

A. Hazy blood orange coloured with a solid off-white head. Colour is similar to a rauchbier.

S. Prunes, syrup and figs.

T. Red wine, brandy/cognac flavours, syrupy, hints of toffee apple. A nice hop bite and pleasing alcoholic warmth.

M. Medium, slightly chewy.

D. Lovely stuff. One of the best German beers around IMHO. (372 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
7.9% ABV, Best Before: 05/14

A - Salvator pours delicately cloudy but maintains it's brilliant color that starts with a golden orange color at the base, gradually shifting to a burnt orange in the more volumetric top where it's sturdy tan head slowly plateaus to leave little gobs of lace.

S - Smelling like wort brewing, Salvator consists of dense bread, bold caramel sweetness, toasted Vienna malts, and a perfect absence of hops. This is the kind of doppelbock aroma dreams are made of!

T - Perfectly malty, Salvator's gooey caramel sweetness has Vienna toasted bread notes with a fantastic lingering sweetness that never gets cloying or absentmindedly unbalanced. Again, the intentional lack of hops is very nice in this, letting the bready malt complexity shine.

M - Smooth and medium-full bodied with a lower carbonation level and almost creamy, sweet finish, I can't stress enough the importance and impact of how malty but balanced and not cloying this doppelbock is.

O - Malt lovers rejoice! This. Is. Exceptional. Paulaner's Salvator is one of the kings of the doppelbock kingdom and for good reason; perfect malt balance so as to not be overly sweet but still keep a fuller bodied feel that washes down with delicious bready complexity and a smooth finish. (1,316 characters)

Salvator Doppel Bock from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG