Salvator Doppel Bock - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Salvator Doppel BockSalvator Doppel Bock

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001)

1.25/5  rDev -68.1%

The taste is hidden by the bitterness.

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

330 mL Bottle. Front label dated 05/06 at bottom right corner.

A: Pours a gorgeous super clean amber-red. 1-finger head dissipates quickly to a light, slightly sticky ring which leaves no lacing. Very light carbonation - just the odd rising bubble.

S: Smells strongly of rotting grass - pretty foul.

T: Tastes much like it smells. Grass and alcohol flavour is so dominant I can't really pick up anything else.

M: A little more carbonation than is visible. Fairly thin. Slightly warm going down. Up-front alcohol quickly numbs the tongue.

D: Meh. A pretty foul brew that I didn't care to finish.

Hello, headache. A bad bottle is possible here, but I'm not looking forward to trying this again.

1.65/5  rDev -57.9%

Poured 3x 12 oz bottles into a 1L stein.

Appearance: Poured a reddish auburn brown color that was clear and yielded little head.

Smell: Smelled like cherry robotussin. Literally this beer is almost undrinkable. If it werent for the minor hints of what a double bock should taste like, this would get a zero from me.

taste: tastes like cherry robotussin mixed with budweiser. Totally one of the worst beers I have had.

Mouthfeel: Its got nice carbonation, and a good backbone, but flavorwise its so terrible.

Drinkability: I would say no to this beer over and over again. Its nothing like the other german stronger beers ive tried. Mayber i got a bad batch but this is one beer I hope to never drink again.

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

1.75/5  rDev -55.4%

A: Brown bottle marked for consumption by 11.06. Vigorous pour required to generate a thin, tan-brown head that rapidly dissipated. Deep brown in color, orange against the light, with no visible carbonation.

S: Ethanol, pure and simple. Other people at the table commented on the odor.

T: Actually fairly pleasant at first, smooth malt character with very little bitternes. The finish however was again overwhelmed by alcohol. After the first few sips my mouth was numbed to any other tastes.

M: Smooth and thinner than I expected. Again, the alcohol character in the back of the mouth is the strongest attribute.

D: I was unable to finish this beer. Based on the other reviews, this must have been a bad batch or bottle. I'll definitely be trying it again in another location.

1.78/5  rDev -54.6%

Up front: I like doubles, tripples, and quads.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. Our Army CL VI (shopette) gets a fairly good rotation of world beers in. There is a possibility that I had an old, skunky bottle, but it is not probable.

A: Crap brown--like Guatemalan water. Perhaps a hint of red dye #5.

S: Yeast and malt.

T: Sour grapes and bananas.

M: Nothing special.

D: Highly disgusting. Drank about 3/4 of it and had to pour it down the drain.

1.78/5  rDev -54.6%

(A) - Deep, rich amber. nearly opaque. A dirty amber. The head was a nutty tan--very nice. A minimal amount of lacing, but it stayed awhile.

(S) - The smell is unappealing. Sour and citrusy. A little smoky as it warms up.

(T) - Tastes a lot like a very weak whisky. Even has that alcahol aftertaste and back of pallate clench. Also tastes a little sour, like an over-ripe fruit. Hmm, sort of like a bad whisky diluted by the last third of a Coors that's been sitting out for a while.

(M) - I almost don't want to drink any more of this in order to analyze the mouthfeel.... Eh, not bad. Would be just fine if not for that awful cringing feeling in the back of the mouth from the weird whisky taste.

(D) - No, not at all. Didn't care for it one bit. I tried to drink it at all temperatures from cold to warm, and all it did was change ways in which it was sour and flat and not the good kind of bitter.

1.8/5  rDev -54.1%

A: Beautiful creamy head but lacing disappears fast.

S: Flowery scent, hint of plums

T: Terrible. Overpowering ethanol taste makes me have bitter beer face.

M: Thin, but it's hard to tell because I don't want to keep this in my mouth.

D: 1 sip maximum.

1.83/5  rDev -53.3%

Pours a gorgeous cheery wood dark amber with a phenomenal tannish head that is magnificent. Lacing is excellent. The smell is strong of fruitiness and traces of alcohol. Strong cider apple with not bitterness to speak of, no hops present. The taste was very dissapointing. It was to sweet, to syrupy strong with no hop bitterness to blend it all together. It was like sucking on apple syrup, that is great on pancakes but not in a beer glass. Nice medium bodied smooth feel but the taste of this does not refect what I want in a beer.

1.95/5  rDev -50.3%

a orangey with a thick head that dissipated almost completely. not even a little but of lacing, none at all. a bit hazy

s sweet like a cheap wine. no hops at all

t: as per the nose, sweet like cheap wine honestly I wonder if this went bad on me.

m failty full body. medium cargonation. siginificant alcoho lbite.

d very poor indeed. I could not finish this
and that's in spite of the fact that I had no other cold beer to tun to .

2.03/5  rDev -48.2%

A: pours a slightly hazy, copper color with half-inch head, no lace

S: aroma is fruity, nutty, and alcohol

T: the flavor is mainly caramel with some fruity notes and an alcohol bite

M: it has a light mouthfeel, thin for a doppelbock

O: Paulaner Salvator Doppel Bock is a mediocre beer, bit of a disappointment, barely recommended

2.05/5  rDev -47.7%

Bottle: good 330mL brown bottle, pretty cheesy and rubbish label.

Appearance: dark cloudy amber. Big head that dissipates quickly to a thin caramel brown.

Aroma: sweet smell of roasted malt. Hints of toffee and molasses, darker fruits. Caramel and sweet milk.

Taste: typical sweet malty taste of many euro beers. Something really, really unpleasant in it. Awful.

Aftertaste: even worse. I don't know what that off flavour is, but it tastes like off beer mixed with too much malt.

Mouth feel: thin mouth feel with a bit of stickiness around the sides. Not unpleasant.

Overall: very poor mixture of off caramel, overripe fruits and some kind of unpleasant sweet flavour that smells and tastes like decay. Such an unpleasant beer. Add to that it is AU$85 a case (2012), and this is one of the worst beers I have had, ever. Poured most of it out. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

Clearish reddish amber colored beer with off white head. Smell is sweet, sour malt, kind of like a maarzen or heller bock style smell. Taste is deep strong malt, a touch of bitterness and a definite noticeable alcohol taste that really detracts from the beer. Alcohol is more noticeable as it sits and really makes it less enjoyable. I was dissapointed by this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

Another beer that just isn't one of my favorite genres, but everyone says this is one of the best doppels. . .

Very surprised by the appearance, very light looking for a doppelbock. Looks like a pale brown ale at its darkest. Smells like a rauchbier. Ugh.

Taste is a little thin, not as maltbomby like some doppelbocks. Mouthfeel, not something that gets better, or is desireable in the mouth. Hence, it isn't so drinkable. A lot of alcohol, dark fruit notes, and metallic bitterness. I don't get it.

2.33/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours an orange mahogany. I don't know if that make sense, but that's how I felt it looked when I poured it. I thought doppelbock were suppose to a lot darker. Anyways, this orange mahogany brew was topped off with pillowy white head.
It has a sweet fruit smell and then it hit me - Christmas Cake! This beer smells Christmas cake.
Paulander takes a step farther and makes it taste exactly like a beery Christmas cake.
Salvator has a nice medium body to it and the carbonation was spot on.
The only downside to this beer is that I loathe Christmas cake. If I didn't pay money for it I would have been the first beer I poured down the drain.

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

The appearance is lacking a bit with almost no head and a very weak lacing, the color is clear and brown to copper.

Smell is very malty and sour, but with hints of syrapy nuttiness in the backround.

Taste is very sour, then it has a honey flavor to it. It seems this bottle is old, but the original must've been mouth watering good.

Mouthfeel is ok, with a little smoothness and carbonation that finishes with a little flavor in your mouth.

I would love to find a fresher bottle and see how this was supposed to turn out, because it is seemingly great before time and weather get to it.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

2.5 A: Dark orange. Poor head retention. No lacing to speak of.

3.0 S: Grapes and hamster (I'm not sure that's what they were going for, but it's definitely a new smell to me and I actually like it). Really though, it smells alright.

2.5 T: Wood chips (as in the kind used for hamster bedding), orange peel. Again, not too bad though it should be.

2.5 M: Smooth. Carbonation is there, but isn't overwhelming.

2.0 D: Didn't enjoy this one all that much and wouldn't want another one.

By the way, I cleaned the glass I used by hand (like I always do) and don't have a pet, so I didn't in any way taint the beer with outside hamster flavors.

Salvator Doppel Bock from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG