Salvator Doppel Bock - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,367 | Reviews: 1,297
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Yeah my first taste of Salvator. I have passed this by many a time just to go out and try stuff that isnt always around, well I am gonna try it today. Poured a very nice deep dark brown with a good two inches of off white tan colored head. This faded and nestled own leaving a thin film and some side glass lace. The smell was nce and smoky with a bit of an earthy grain mixed in. A touch of some caramel and sweetness as well. The flavor was very tight. Crisp clean and efficent flavor, lots of malt, nice smoky flavors with a touch of caramel. A great smooth feel with no sense of the alcohol at all. I could have easily had another of these. Overall this was awesome. I love German brews and this was no exception. It definitly deserves the rep it has, this is a really good dopplebock and something I am glad is readily avaibke to me whenever I want it.

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%

Beer had about a 1inch head that quickly disappeared. There is a rich amber coloring and I can see the carbonation rising to the top of the glass. Has a sweet smell and a smooth taste with a hint of bitterness.

I do like the beer but it is not something that I would want more than one in a sitting.

3.47/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Dark Orange/ copper with a small white head that fades fast. Clear
S: Sweet malt and fruit. Burnt cherry and other fruits, sweet caramel
T: Not heavy at all (like i thought it was going to be) and sweet. Can taste malt and hops. A lot of burnt cherry that bothers me a little.
D: At first I was very impressed at the drinkability, but after a while this was a chore to drink. Alcohol is noticable. Not a session beer.

Worth a try, but not one of Paulaner's better beers.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Appearance: Golden brown color, develops decent tan lacing which doesn't stick a round very long.

Smell: As soon as the cap came off the bottle I smelled the yeast, like fresh bread. The beer itself has a sweet, cider-like aroma - still a bit of yeast and a tiny bit of alcohol.

Taste: Wow, much bigger taste than I expected. Butterscotch, almond, the alcohol comes through a little, but not in a distasteful way. Full and sweet with a cleaner than I expected (although not squeaky by any means) finish. Smoky/cedar afterwards.

Mouthfeel: Very syrupy, like taking a swig from Aunt Jemima. Intense flavor, which hits you as its going down.

Notes: Complex flavor, it's a treat to have something different like this. I don't think I'd want a second one due to the heavy, syrupy nature, but wouldn't mind having a few in the fridge.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Beer (33cl), tasted in 2001. Well known beer from Paulaner.
Appearence : dark amber in colour
Smell : toffee and hop aroma
Taste : sweet bitterish taste with caramel and hop
Mouthfeel : bitterish finish with dates, cream and hop aroma
Drinkability : a good beer in the style Dopple Bock, but not complex enough

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours beautiful amber red. Little head, giving the carbonation it has.

Sweet molasses, and caramel smell.

Tastes like a carmel candy bar. Very sweet. Maybe the sweetest dopple I have yet to have.

Finishes with a hit of liquor.

Not something I would like to have more than one of, at a sitting, but, a very good--but different dopple.

EDIT: just noticed the "produced date" is 11/06. A year old beer.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

The colour is deep amber; the finger thick head is pale beige. The lacing is massive.

The smell is rather mild. Some fruity sweet notes.

The smell is balanced, large bodied and generous: Lots of sweet caramel/toffee, Hints of sweet and bitter almonds, apricot jam and marzipan. The aftertaste is dry with some alcoholic notes.

The carbonation is strong and fresh. The liquid is smooth.

A good example of a often misused style.

3.97/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a rusty red color with a half an inch or so of foam. Absolutely no head or lacing.

Smells of toasted malts with some slight chocolate and hints of grape. Has a sweet dark fruit candy smell, like cotton candy or sweet dried fruit. Also get some sweet potato or caramelized yams.

It tastes much like the aroma, sweetness and dark fruits upfront with a caramelized sugar in the finish.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, and the alcohol is well hidden.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

I poured a 740 ml bottle purchased at Fred Meyer in Richland, Washington into a chilled tulip.

A: It poured a light ruby, almost a reddish copper, with a very slight head that quickly nearly disappeared leaving a scummy layer across much of the top of the liquid. The head, such as it is, was a light tan and it produced a surprisingly rich lacing.

S: It had the aroma of sweet malts, toffee, and roasted almonds.

T: Simply complex. It was simple in that the flavors followed the aroma closely...toffee and roasted almonds. Complex in that flavors tracking the aroma were enhanced by a touch of caramel and a very modest and well balanced early hop flavor.

M: Light to medium body with a smooth and sweet front followed by a dry, warm finish. It leaves a very clean palate.

D: I'm enjoying this fine brew on a cool fall night with a wet damp breeze sweeping through my living room. I only have one but I am wishing I had another one or two to top of my tank.

Comment: Great winter beer...warming and sufficiently complex to be entertaining.

4.07/5  rDev +3.8%

This brew pours a nice amber with a decent which eventually just laces the edge of the glass. Aroma is very malty, biscuity with some light caramel. taste is fruity but not very sweet, a little alcohol is noticeable with some hops there to balance the brew. Very dry and grainy finish but smooth. Still not as good as Celebrator, but a classic and very drinkable beer.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

A. Pours a medium "carmel" color. Thin head that does not stay around.Some lacing that does not stick around.
S. Malty. Light alcohol.
T. Malty, camel. Short bitterness at malt wears off the tounge.
M. A good balance of malt, bitterness and alcohol. Nice!
D. I would like to drink this one with my favorite light cigars...This drinks almost of a light brandy. I liked it and some day would like to taste again.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

A moderately dark golden brown with generous yellow white head which remained for about one minute in my glass...there are still remnants as I write this

S nutty with a whole grain bread smell. Very pleasing. Certainly not the nothingness that I smell with most popular lagers

T very smooth initially with a powerful alcohol sting after first swallow which lingers for about 30 seconds. After that a very pleasing, muted whole grain bread after taste follows. Very pleasing, interesting.

M as suggested above, very smooth followed by tangy alcohol sting but then very smooth after taste, mouthfeel.

D really exceptional. one of the top 5 beers I have ever tasted.

Salvator was recommended by another "ba" reviewer of my favorite beer, Spaten Optimator and I am glad that I followed through with it. I rated Optimator better but really Salvator is quite good. Highly recommend it.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

I had a good amount of this beer on tap at the German Beer Fest last night. I really like the cascading appearance of the rich, red color. The smell was strong, as is the taste. Very rich and full taste. A mouthfeel very strong and full and very nice. The high ABV makes it not incredibly drinkable. You can drink it all night, like I did last night, but it won't do you very good the next day. I know from current experience.

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Appears reddish brown with a thin tan head. The beer smells sweet like carmel but also has an alcohol-type aroma much the way wine does. It tastes sweet too. Malty and carmely. There's a hint of an alcohol-warming afterglow down the throat soon after you swallow it. There's a low amount of carbonation. I see very few bubbles rising to the top of the glass and it seems to be a little on the flat side. I like this beer but I wouldn't drink too many of them in one day. That would be like gorging yourself on Milk Duds. The 7.9% alcohol would catch up with you quickly, too, I presume.

3.72/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Pours a clear, deep red toffee colour with an inch of beige head that quickly falls away.
S - Strong caramel smell up front with a slight floral touch. A bit of alcohol tries to hide in the backgorund
T - Sweet caramel dominates the taste with some slight roasty notes.
M - Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.
D - A tasty beer thats worth trying. Good every now and then but nothing I'd rush for again.

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear, bright red, with a tan head that vanished quickly.

The aroma was red candy licorice, alcoholic notes, molasses, and grain.

The mouthfeel was a bit too watery and much lower carbonation than the usual.

The taste is red licorice (which I feel is the combination of the malt and grain flavours combining with some cranberry esters). The beer was slightly warming, but not noticeably high alcohol.

An enjoyable beer, but one best served late at night to enjoy alone.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured a 25 oz bottle into a glass.

A: Clear, reddish brown color, transparent and not hazy, with a slightly amber/mostly white head.

S: Caramel immediately makes its presence known

T: Starts with a sweet, caramel flavor with a slight hint of molasses; end is on a floral hop bitterness that combines with a small amount of alcohol notes. A very clean caramel and hop flavor.

M: medium but somewhat light for the style, not viscous and easy drinking. Somewhat hearty, feel this should be consumed with a good German dinner of wursts and spaetzle.

D: A drinkable beer, hides its alcohol character quite well until you stand up. A very deep caramel flavor makes this a very enjoyable Octoberfest beer. Mighty enjoyable for nearly 8% and rivals Belgian styles of similar strength for drinkability.

Photo of
4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz. bottle

Clear, dark gold/amber. Medium to large, light tan head. Creamy. Some lacing and good legs.

Aroma brought to mind grapes and port. Raisins and figs. Touch of caramel.

Taste was more sweet than bitter, with caramel seeming to make the biggest impression. Faint roast notes. ABV well hidden, just a hint near the finish. Herbal at the end as well.

Medium + body with a velvety texture. Medium to low carbonation. Not particularly dry.

Excellent, and true to style.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Exp 11/07. A dark amber with dark red and cherry-hardwood hi-lites. Clear with a tan head, settled with lacing, wispy centre. Good carbonation with large bubbles sticking the entire height of the glass and a steady stream of smaller bubbles continuing through much of the tasting.

The aroma is of ripe cherries, sugar cane and european dark honey. Taste is pine nuts, resin, gooey figs. This reminds me of a rich, liquor-infused tort cake. Nice balanced taste with dates-figs fruit, nutty dryness and bitterness with a smooth texture. Similar to a good after-dinner liquer aftertaste, warmth and alcohol but not the least bit offensive. Sweetness overtones seem natural and unforced ... overall, a really tasty doppel bock. Nearing the end of the glass, the lacing and carbonation have all but disappeared but the overall impression remains positive.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottled, poured into my favorite pub glass

Appearance: Rouge and amber with a light head that goes away quickly, but leaves behind considerable residue.

Smell: Malty, toffee-ish, with tones of nut and caramel.

Taste: Sweet and malty, with rum overtones.

Mouthfeel: Not that heavy for a Doppelbock, but still satisfying.

Drinkability: Stout, solid, and with an alcoholic punch that will kick you in your keizter if you aren’t careful, Salvator is simply just a great Doppelbock.

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours amber brown,with a thin tan head. Not much retention,but decent lacing. Aroma is of sweet dark fruits,and candy. Body is thin,and a bit watery. Taste is sugared,almost too sweet.Alchol is big in the finish. Not awful,but I was expecting better.

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%

I've had this one a few times in the past, and despite its immense historical influence and value, it's never struck me as a really great Doppelbock. In the bottle though, it warms me up on a chilly Canberra winter night at home, without the heating on. Served at around six degrees C, could probably do with being a bit warmer.

Appearance doesn't set it apart - no head whatsoever, but a nice dark amber-toffee colour belies the rich warmness of the alcohol. No sediment and little carbonation is evident. Aromas of sweet, chewy toffee-like malts, candied sugar, and definitely some Christmas pudding date smells abound. Definitely a winter beer. Taste is rich and complex but not necessarily pleasant: sweetness of aforementioned malts and sugars clashes with an obscure hop bitterness and a vinous taste I don't really like - it's almost sour. I don't know my wines so I can't really identify it. It's still very drinkable, but I don't think I'd have another one. Mouthfeel is smooth though.

Overall, this is such a classic and iconic beer that reviews are almost unnecessary. If you're a fan of Bock then drink it once in a while as a reminder of the rich history of central European beers. I don't drink too much Doppelbock, but I know there's better-tasting ones out there than Salvator... but I still have a lot of respect for this brew.

3.45/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Blushing brandy brown with a short-lived pale off-white head.

Smell: Sniffing this beer is like getting punched up both nostrils by alcohol. Rough, rummy stuff. But not bad. Interesting fruit notes emerge the more you sniff around - dried strawberries, rhubarb, raisins - to make it seem rather vinous, almost port-like. Almost.

Taste: Lush with berries at the very beginning, but these evaporate just as soon as you notice them to leave you with a bland, boozy mess. Bitterness from the alcohol and hops careens around the palate like a drunk driver, while the sweet cherries jubilee/apple juice malts remain quiet, nondescript and unexciting like a sober pedestrian. A short rush of spice clenches the finish, like adding an exclamation point to an otherwise boring sentence. This beer is only eight percent ABV. There's no reason it should taste so boring.

Mouthfeel: Not bad, a tad thin, but the carbonation is even-tempered to fit the predominantly sweet-and-spicy flavor.

Drinkability: This beer is not worth its ABV. If I wanted something this strong, I'd go for something with a more intense flavor; if I wanted something less intense, I'd go for something with less alcohol. Next time, I'll make it an EKU 28 or a Yebisu Black. What a shame this beer is so popular.

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Einbecker Bock glass I received as a gift from the owner of Het Elfde Gebod in Amsterdam.

A - Pours a clear amber red with a one finger head that disipated quickly. The beer has a nice appearance though it does seem a bit light for a doppelbock

S - Nice malty aroma, though it is a bit faint. A bit of toastiness/nuttiness is in there as well.

T - Nice sweet taste, with a faint crisp bitterness at the end. This one starts to show its feathers a bit more as it warms (as well as a small hint of alcohol). However, If I didnt know this was a doppelbock, I would have thought it was just a bock. Nice balanced flavor, but nothing great.

M - Nice and light

D - Nice solid flavor, not overpowering ... exceptional drinkability. A very refreshing, balanced and flavorful beer.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Bottle date of June 2006, Sampled August 2007
Hugely aromatic, with amplified malt character leaping from the glass as I pour this brew. Caramelization, Maillard components, toffee, hints of light molasses, toasted malt, browned-rustically-crusty bread and even something like a concentrated fruitiness (though not the kind contributed by ale yeast). The beer is topped by a frothy, initially two-finger thick tan colored head that sits on top of a brilliantly clear, cranberry hued, dark amber colored beer. I don't know why, but the malt focused aroma of this beer, at this moment in time, is hugely satisfying. Complex in its malt focus, it makes me seriously think that this is still a decoction mash, or at least they fake it quite well. The malt aromas are just so concentrated and enticing, it is almost pavlovian in the instinctual response that it generates in the olfactory portion of my brain.

Sweet, though not cloying; rich though not syrupy. Above all it still has that deep, rich, malt character that I was really craving. Flavors of caramelized brown sugar, and somehow a fruit character that has been unsweetened, yet still reminds me of dried figs and prunes. This beer is clearly all about the malt character, though there is a touch of hop here, noticeable as a trace of bitterness and perhaps an ephemeral phantasm of herbal notes. I really like how this beer is somehow not too sweet or cloying, despite clearly having a hefty level of residual malt sugars; chalk that up to the malt / mash / boil character.

I probably prefer the aroma over the flavor as it was just about perfect to me in this moment. This is still quite tasty & over all this is just a great Doppel Bock. I have had this beer a few times over the years and I don't remember it being so striking, but such is the nature of beer, sometimes you just have to be in the right situation for a beer and this happens to be one of those. This really captures that meaty malt character that I really like to find in a Doppelbock.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Salvator Doppel Bock from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG