Salvator Doppel Bock - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Salvator Doppel BockSalvator Doppel Bock

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Doppelbock |  7.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001)
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

I poured this into one of those Corsendonk snifters. The head was a beige color that dissipated quickly. The beer itself was a red-amber color.

I didn't feel that this beer was extremely heavy or filling, but somewhat moderate in thickness (on a scale of 1 to 5 for thickness, with 5 being the thickest, I'd rate this a 3).

The taste was fairly sweet, but less so than the Sam Adams version of this beer style. The strong alcohol content was almost completely masked by the sweetness of the taste. It seems to me that I smelled and tasted a faint chocolate sensation when drinking this beer. There also seemed to be a little fruitiness to the smell and taste.

Overall, I enjoyed the beer and could drink several in a sitting without ever growing weary of the taste.

bvanpelt, Jan 07, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a Celebrator glass this was slightly more transparent than expected with rich orangish, amber, to red hues and a solid whitish head that receded leaving a ring and modest residue on top. The active carbonation combined with the glasswear makes this look like a commercial, gorgeous. nose is of course is almost completely comprised of malt, malt and more malt. Molasses and oats are most apparent. Taste is completely spot on, all I could ask for from the style. Super sweet, reminds me of drinking maple syrup with the sweetness and thick mouthfeel. The only real drawback is that drinkability is low because of the extreme sweetness and filling nature. Quickly becoming a favorite style of mine this is the best I've tried so far...I prefer this to Celebrator...until i drink another Celebrator that is.

masikon, Jan 06, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a beer stein.

Appearance: This beer poured a clear caramel coloration. The head was thick and off white. Thin wispy lace was left behind on the glass.

Smell: The smell was a thickly caramel malted treat. There is an apple kind of smell to the beer.

Taste: The beer tasted very thick and heavily malted caramel with a slight spicy spike. The alcohol is not a factor in the taste.

Mouthfeel: This beer was a very thick and chewy beer treat.

Drinkability: This was a very drinkable beer. There was just the right amount of carbonation present ot help this beer slide down.

nlmartin, Jan 02, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

This beer really lives up to its' designation. There is a LOT of malt in this brew, and you can almost taste the molasas like consistancy that comes with it. Smell is overwhelmingly of dark extract with nothing else coming through. Even with the ferocity of the extract this still manages to go down smooth and balanced. The mouthfeel retains the smoothness, and makes the dinkablility very high. A great beer.

Toddv29424, Jan 01, 2006

This pours huge, red and greasy, with a quickly dissipating ruby tan head.

There is an immediate, overwhelming smell of oat/wheat/molasses that takes over from the uncapping.

The taste is much the same, big and chewy in flavor, but watery thin and sliding down your throat like flat RC cola. If there are hops here, they are not to be found. The middle of the brew is super sweet and earthy, and the finish is not cloying, surprisingly. Perhaps a touch more alcohol would accomplish the balancing of the sweetness without the addition of hops; anyway...

Those who are into hoppy or even balanced brews most likely will not like this beer; but if you just want a huge sweet dessert beer, perhaps to eat with creme brulee or cheesecake, this is your doublebock.

andjusticeforale, Dec 15, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

First impressions are not always the most accurate...

About half way through my pint of Salvator Double Bock the intriguing complexity of this beer began to win me over. The initial pour produced a nice thick head and a beatiful clear amber/reddish color. Aromas were nothing special or distinctive. My first impression of the flavor was hoppy and intense. My next few sips led me to the aftertaste that seemed to linger forever, bitter, hoppy. But then as I continued this Double the subtle grains and chocolate flavors became more prominate.

As the temperature of the beer increases the flavors strengthen and the beer becomes even more smooth and dry. Overall this Double Bock is very nice beer. C'mon the bottle says they've been doing it same way for over 370 years, that's gotta count for something!

sockeye101, Dec 15, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a sixer of this to use in a chili recipe that fellow BA Venom sent me. Now that the chili's nearly ready I figure I'll pour one of these out and write a review before I have my taste buds burned up.

12 ounce bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

A - Pours an amber color with a nice reddish hue into a tall slender pilsner glass. Bubbles rush uo to feed a two finger foamy head that begins dissapating rather quickly.

S - A toasted smell accentuated by a serious sweet malt aroma. A bit of chocolate under there too.

T - Tastes like dark roasted chocolate. A tiny bit of a coffee flavor. Overall it's a sweet tasting beer with a bit of a spiciness.

M - Feels good on the tongue. The spiciness really makes it dance around there. The sweetness can be a bit much, but good if you're in the mood for such a beer.

D - This is not my favorite style, nor my favorite beer. however, for what it is it leaves you going back sip after sip. Definitely one I can enjoy on occasion, when in the mood.

EStreet20, Dec 09, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +6.6%

A beautiful amber brew with gorgeous lacing. The pour is aggressive. Billowy head. There is a weird 'tin' smell, but that is deeply layered under the guise of the rich, roasted malt smell.

Malt, malt and more malt! Thick, deep flavor of malt with the tiniest hint of smoke. A nice flavor of coffee bean, not strictly coffee. Caramel and roasted malts. A bit of toasted bread lingers around as well. Mild herbal bitterness in the finish, which is unassumingly hidden under the huge, smooth malt profile. Alcohol is present, but pleasant.

If you like to chew on chocolate coated espresso beans, this is a good night cap for you. A wonderful German treat.

Zraly, Dec 04, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A- It pours a dark, rich brown with a head that nicely laces the glass as you drink it. Very nice.

S- The smell is of caramel, and malt.

T- The taste is of caramel, malt, and spicy complexity. Truly a beer for a malt lover.

M- The mouthfeel is soft and chewy at the same time. Very interesting.

D- Very drinkable for a beer of this ABV. I could definitely have more than one.

This is a great double bock. My favorite of the style. A great beer to have in the winter months.

gotbeer, Nov 20, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle, bought in Bier Spezi Hamburg. Reddish amber colour, large orange to light tan head. Surprisingly alcoholic aroma, elements of molasses, caramel and syrup, hints of dried dark fruits, port wine and oak. Flavour is also rather alcoholic, malty sweet (a little too sweet for me) with plenty of caramel and molasses, a herbal spiciness and moderate hops in the finish. Not nearly as good as the much darker Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock, but still a very powerful beer in any way. Definitely a "winter warmer".

Sigmund, Nov 12, 2005

red in color with a creamy white head full of lace. Smells of strong alcohol, caramel, sugar, malt, apples, and other fruits.

very thick caramel flavor, very malty, with an unknown spice, kind of roasted. decent hop bite but definately dominated by the flavor of the malt.
Different than most dopplebocks I've had, but what does that say when this is a very old recipe.

metallistout, Nov 10, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark amber with a decent one finger head that faded away pretty quickly and left a good ring with lots of lacing.

Smell; caramel, apples, bread dough. Smells really good. In fact, I think it smells better than it tastes.

Taste; malts, honey, apples, caramel, followed by little hoppy bitterness. I can't really taste any aolcohol. It goes down really easy at first, but after a while it almost becomes to sweet for me. Mouthfeel is medium/full with just enough carbonation.

RedHaze, Nov 04, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

For me, the big thing about this beer is its smell. The colour is nice too -- a deep, thick red-gold with a pinkish head (head faded kind of quickly though).

However, the smell -- strawberries, cherries, plums, and caramel candy -- is what really keeps me coming back to this brew. In fact, I probably like smelling it more than I like drinking it!

Not saying its taste is bad. Sweet and tangy fruits for the most part, with not much carbonation. A little more raisin flavour than you get from smelling it. However, I find that it doesn't quite hide its 7.5% as well as some other beers do, which to me is a negative -- I'm not a big fan of the alcohol flavours in my beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, very agreeable. However, because of the alcoholy-ness and its somewhat strong flavours, I don't think this could ever be a session beer for me. More a once-per-meal beer to match with certain foods (it was great with blue cheese, actually, drew out the flavours well).

Anyway, a good doppelbock, but not, in my opinion, in the same league as Ayinger Celebrator (which I still have 3 more bottles of and will review later! Woo!)

crwills, Nov 03, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

I had this beer at Mr. Dunderbak's and I think I may have a new challenger to Celebrator. It is nearly pitch black (not quite like Ayinger's offering) and tastes of rasins, coffee, "dark fruit" and something I can't put my finger on. It tastes very "thick" and went well with my sandwich.

I think I would be hard to drink more than 2-3 of these, but damn what a fun time you will have prolonging the experience.

--Joey

Joey7F, Oct 28, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

From a brown bottle and poured into my pilsner glass.
While the girlfriend sleeps in the bedroom to the back of our apartment, I enjoy a night cap and keep the tv's volume low. The beer pours out of the bottle a clear amber with plenty of visible carbonation rising from the bottom of my glass, but it didn't produce any head or lacing to speak of. The smell is big and sweet maltiness with some alcohol poking up through too. The taste is big malt with some hints of frutiness, caramel, and a alcohol and slightly hoppy finish.

This beer is solid, and one that I've seen around much more often than some other quality, imported doppelbocks. A great brew, and I found it fitting on an incresingly cold autumn day. I'll pick it up again.

edmundfitzoil, Oct 28, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -24%

a generous alcohol content beer; hard and sweet taste; smell little singed, malted, little phenolic, watered down palate; try with german and american food; serve in a goblet glass; this is a beer not common in my country, try this by a friend of mine from zaragoza spain; 80% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 24, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance: A beautifully robust indian red color, covered by and enormous off-white, almost orange, layer of foamy head. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: The nose is sweet and very malty. I notice brown sugar, raisins, and maybe molasses as well. A sweet smell, but not strong and overpowering.

Taste: A little milder than I expected. Still a little sweet and malty, and tangy and changing in the finish. Maybe even some sort of over-ripened fruits lingering in the background. Not bad tasting, but a little more sissy than I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated up front, but slick and oily going down.

Drinkability: Seems to be a sipper. The taste made me think I could slam it, the oily mouthfeel is telling me not too.

jasonpeckins32, Oct 19, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

This is said to be one of the most legendary beers in the world ... once poured you can see why ... the sheer beauty of the amber-garnet colour is mindboggling ... the smell is full, butter, malt and candied fruits ...
the taste is of almost barley-wine like strenght with dominating english toffee and darjeeling ending in a long moreish light bitter finish ....

This is truly a great beer, albeight not for the uninitiated ...

as it is a seasonal beer for spring I'll try another one in 6 months (and let you know) ....

Daredevil, Oct 18, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

S - poured from a 12 oz bottle into a narrow Spaten glass. giant head, surprises me for a dopplebock. head dissipates but retains a 1/2 centimeter. lots of lacing.

A - color of strong iced tea. amber orange color. not cloudy.

S - malt and dried fruit... dates? figs? very sweet, but not cloying.

T - toasted, caramel, brown sugar, again, not sticky-super-sweet, very malty, only the slightest hops, super clean, focused flavor, great taste! you can tell it's strong, but it doesn't taste like alcohol.

M - can sense the carbonation, but it's not fizzy, slight syrupness, but not too much.

D - for a beer of this gravity, i can drink quite a bit of it... my session-dopple.

i love this stuff too much. i'll take this over any other dopple, and over almost any other brew. now that the temperature has cooled, i can turn to this as my comfort beer.

HighCarbDiet, Oct 12, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured out of a 1pint .9floz. bottle.

Deep dark orange red color, almost opaque. Thick foamy tan head. Poured thick like warm maple syrup. Low carbonation.

Huge malt aroma, very nice smells like honey wheat bread.

Very smooth malt sweetness but not overpowering. Not very bitter at all. Nice flavor of some kind of baked good. Sweet finish similar to raisin.

Very thick and syrupy. I really like this Dopple Bock. Very balanced.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Oct 09, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

12 oz. bottle cool lookin label. Message from the masterbrewer-"Each one of my Paulaner Biers is brewed slowly, all naturally, as they have been for over 360 years."

Poured into pint glass, has a inch thick, eggshell coloured head.
Head fades to a nice collar. Deep rich copper colour looks great.

Nice heavy sweet bread malt, a hint of molasses, and a nice alcohol spice aroma.
On the palate- Lots of great sweet malt to chew on. Taste of sweet spicy bread. The hops play off the packed malts, and longs the finish. Alcohol is present, and warms the gut over. Bold, sharp, and a complex brew!! Real nice!!

Great med-heavy creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable, but watch out for the 7.5%.

Paired great with my Wife's Homemade chicken soup, and Bavarian twist bread. I'v only had about 8 different dopplebocks, and this is becoming one of my favorite styles. I will surely go back to this one.

Sehr gutes dopplebock brauen!!!

BrinkyBeerBoy, Oct 02, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This bottle poured an amber brew with a thin head. It's smell was full of sweet malt. The sweet taste was cloying, with no other taste to balance. I would find it hard to drink two of these. This was my first Doppelbock, and I gather that sweet malt goes with the style. This is probably a beer that needs some food to balance the sweetness.

pweis909, Sep 15, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours a pretty garnet red with a nice finger and a half tan, creamy head. Smells and tastes a little more like I would expect from a dopplebock than the Tucher Bajuvator I had last night. Some grainy malts, caramel malts, fruity notes and an alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is crisp but not harsh. Body is medium, quite drinkable for 7.5% as well. A nice beer here.

Golden2wenty1, Aug 29, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear Amber color with an off-white head that is made up of loose bubbles and ends up being about a half inch thick. The head retained for a minute or so. There are quite a few bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: Lots of Melanoidins and toasty aromatics. There is a bit of caramel in there, and the beer has a sweet aroma from the reserved hopping.

Taste: Really rich and earthy flavor! There are plenty of Melanoidins in the flavor, and there is quite a bit more caramel in the flavor than there was in the aroma. It has a really clean flavor, and beer like this will show ANY flaw. The beer is balanced toward the malt the entire time. You can notice just a tad of hops, but the malt flavors dominate the profile. There is a slightly bitter flavor that greets you somewhere in the middle of the profile, but this fades to a sweet finish and a noticeable warm feeling in the back of the throat when the beer gets done.

Opinion: I really like this beer, and it is one that I drink often. I personally prefer the darker and richer DoppelBocks, but this beer is a hallmark of the style...so I just have to enjoy one frequently just for it's place in history. A fine brew, and I highly recommend it!

SkeeterHawk, Aug 26, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +14%

What a great aroma. Salvator features a big malt and light hop aromas. It pours a crystal clear garnet red with a big long lasting creamy head. My tounge was coated with big caramel malt flavor with some roast and hop bitterness. Salvator is very full bodied with pleasant carbonation. Quite mouth-filling. Outstanding.

tjthresh, Aug 24, 2005