Salvator Doppel Bock - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Germany

Doppelbock |  7.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

A- It pours a dark, rich brown with a head that nicely laces the glass as you drink it. Very nice.

S- The smell is of caramel, and malt.

T- The taste is of caramel, malt, and spicy complexity. Truly a beer for a malt lover.

M- The mouthfeel is soft and chewy at the same time. Very interesting.

D- Very drinkable for a beer of this ABV. I could definitely have more than one.

This is a great double bock. My favorite of the style. A great beer to have in the winter months.

3.56/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500 ml bottle, bought in Bier Spezi Hamburg. Reddish amber colour, large orange to light tan head. Surprisingly alcoholic aroma, elements of molasses, caramel and syrup, hints of dried dark fruits, port wine and oak. Flavour is also rather alcoholic, malty sweet (a little too sweet for me) with plenty of caramel and molasses, a herbal spiciness and moderate hops in the finish. Not nearly as good as the much darker Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock, but still a very powerful beer in any way. Definitely a "winter warmer".

red in color with a creamy white head full of lace. Smells of strong alcohol, caramel, sugar, malt, apples, and other fruits.

very thick caramel flavor, very malty, with an unknown spice, kind of roasted. decent hop bite but definately dominated by the flavor of the malt.
Different than most dopplebocks I've had, but what does that say when this is a very old recipe.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a dark amber with a decent one finger head that faded away pretty quickly and left a good ring with lots of lacing.

Smell; caramel, apples, bread dough. Smells really good. In fact, I think it smells better than it tastes.

Taste; malts, honey, apples, caramel, followed by little hoppy bitterness. I can't really taste any aolcohol. It goes down really easy at first, but after a while it almost becomes to sweet for me. Mouthfeel is medium/full with just enough carbonation.

4.14/5  rDev +5.6%

For me, the big thing about this beer is its smell. The colour is nice too -- a deep, thick red-gold with a pinkish head (head faded kind of quickly though).

However, the smell -- strawberries, cherries, plums, and caramel candy -- is what really keeps me coming back to this brew. In fact, I probably like smelling it more than I like drinking it!

Not saying its taste is bad. Sweet and tangy fruits for the most part, with not much carbonation. A little more raisin flavour than you get from smelling it. However, I find that it doesn't quite hide its 7.5% as well as some other beers do, which to me is a negative -- I'm not a big fan of the alcohol flavours in my beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, very agreeable. However, because of the alcoholy-ness and its somewhat strong flavours, I don't think this could ever be a session beer for me. More a once-per-meal beer to match with certain foods (it was great with blue cheese, actually, drew out the flavours well).

Anyway, a good doppelbock, but not, in my opinion, in the same league as Ayinger Celebrator (which I still have 3 more bottles of and will review later! Woo!)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

I had this beer at Mr. Dunderbak's and I think I may have a new challenger to Celebrator. It is nearly pitch black (not quite like Ayinger's offering) and tastes of rasins, coffee, "dark fruit" and something I can't put my finger on. It tastes very "thick" and went well with my sandwich.

I think I would be hard to drink more than 2-3 of these, but damn what a fun time you will have prolonging the experience.

--Joey

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

From a brown bottle and poured into my pilsner glass.
While the girlfriend sleeps in the bedroom to the back of our apartment, I enjoy a night cap and keep the tv's volume low. The beer pours out of the bottle a clear amber with plenty of visible carbonation rising from the bottom of my glass, but it didn't produce any head or lacing to speak of. The smell is big and sweet maltiness with some alcohol poking up through too. The taste is big malt with some hints of frutiness, caramel, and a alcohol and slightly hoppy finish.

This beer is solid, and one that I've seen around much more often than some other quality, imported doppelbocks. A great brew, and I found it fitting on an incresingly cold autumn day. I'll pick it up again.

2.95/5  rDev -24.7%

a generous alcohol content beer; hard and sweet taste; smell little singed, malted, little phenolic, watered down palate; try with german and american food; serve in a goblet glass; this is a beer not common in my country, try this by a friend of mine from zaragoza spain; 80% recommended.

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: A beautifully robust indian red color, covered by and enormous off-white, almost orange, layer of foamy head. Beautiful looking beer.

Smell: The nose is sweet and very malty. I notice brown sugar, raisins, and maybe molasses as well. A sweet smell, but not strong and overpowering.

Taste: A little milder than I expected. Still a little sweet and malty, and tangy and changing in the finish. Maybe even some sort of over-ripened fruits lingering in the background. Not bad tasting, but a little more sissy than I thought it would be.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated up front, but slick and oily going down.

Drinkability: Seems to be a sipper. The taste made me think I could slam it, the oily mouthfeel is telling me not too.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

This is said to be one of the most legendary beers in the world ... once poured you can see why ... the sheer beauty of the amber-garnet colour is mindboggling ... the smell is full, butter, malt and candied fruits ...
the taste is of almost barley-wine like strenght with dominating english toffee and darjeeling ending in a long moreish light bitter finish ....

This is truly a great beer, albeight not for the uninitiated ...

as it is a seasonal beer for spring I'll try another one in 6 months (and let you know) ....

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

S - poured from a 12 oz bottle into a narrow Spaten glass. giant head, surprises me for a dopplebock. head dissipates but retains a 1/2 centimeter. lots of lacing.

A - color of strong iced tea. amber orange color. not cloudy.

S - malt and dried fruit... dates? figs? very sweet, but not cloying.

T - toasted, caramel, brown sugar, again, not sticky-super-sweet, very malty, only the slightest hops, super clean, focused flavor, great taste! you can tell it's strong, but it doesn't taste like alcohol.

M - can sense the carbonation, but it's not fizzy, slight syrupness, but not too much.

D - for a beer of this gravity, i can drink quite a bit of it... my session-dopple.

i love this stuff too much. i'll take this over any other dopple, and over almost any other brew. now that the temperature has cooled, i can turn to this as my comfort beer.

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured out of a 1pint .9floz. bottle.

Deep dark orange red color, almost opaque. Thick foamy tan head. Poured thick like warm maple syrup. Low carbonation.

Huge malt aroma, very nice smells like honey wheat bread.

Very smooth malt sweetness but not overpowering. Not very bitter at all. Nice flavor of some kind of baked good. Sweet finish similar to raisin.

Very thick and syrupy. I really like this Dopple Bock. Very balanced.

Cheers!

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

12 oz. bottle cool lookin label. Message from the masterbrewer-"Each one of my Paulaner Biers is brewed slowly, all naturally, as they have been for over 360 years."

Poured into pint glass, has a inch thick, eggshell coloured head.
Head fades to a nice collar. Deep rich copper colour looks great.

Nice heavy sweet bread malt, a hint of molasses, and a nice alcohol spice aroma.
On the palate- Lots of great sweet malt to chew on. Taste of sweet spicy bread. The hops play off the packed malts, and longs the finish. Alcohol is present, and warms the gut over. Bold, sharp, and a complex brew!! Real nice!!

Great med-heavy creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable, but watch out for the 7.5%.

Paired great with my Wife's Homemade chicken soup, and Bavarian twist bread. I'v only had about 8 different dopplebocks, and this is becoming one of my favorite styles. I will surely go back to this one.

Sehr gutes dopplebock brauen!!!

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This bottle poured an amber brew with a thin head. It's smell was full of sweet malt. The sweet taste was cloying, with no other taste to balance. I would find it hard to drink two of these. This was my first Doppelbock, and I gather that sweet malt goes with the style. This is probably a beer that needs some food to balance the sweetness.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison.

Pours a pretty garnet red with a nice finger and a half tan, creamy head. Smells and tastes a little more like I would expect from a dopplebock than the Tucher Bajuvator I had last night. Some grainy malts, caramel malts, fruity notes and an alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is crisp but not harsh. Body is medium, quite drinkable for 7.5% as well. A nice beer here.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear Amber color with an off-white head that is made up of loose bubbles and ends up being about a half inch thick. The head retained for a minute or so. There are quite a few bubbles rising to maintain the head.

Aroma: Lots of Melanoidins and toasty aromatics. There is a bit of caramel in there, and the beer has a sweet aroma from the reserved hopping.

Taste: Really rich and earthy flavor! There are plenty of Melanoidins in the flavor, and there is quite a bit more caramel in the flavor than there was in the aroma. It has a really clean flavor, and beer like this will show ANY flaw. The beer is balanced toward the malt the entire time. You can notice just a tad of hops, but the malt flavors dominate the profile. There is a slightly bitter flavor that greets you somewhere in the middle of the profile, but this fades to a sweet finish and a noticeable warm feeling in the back of the throat when the beer gets done.

Opinion: I really like this beer, and it is one that I drink often. I personally prefer the darker and richer DoppelBocks, but this beer is a hallmark of the style...so I just have to enjoy one frequently just for it's place in history. A fine brew, and I highly recommend it!

4.46/5  rDev +13.8%

What a great aroma. Salvator features a big malt and light hop aromas. It pours a crystal clear garnet red with a big long lasting creamy head. My tounge was coated with big caramel malt flavor with some roast and hop bitterness. Salvator is very full bodied with pleasant carbonation. Quite mouth-filling. Outstanding.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Not sure, but it might be dated 11/04. Pours a dark brown in color with some nice carbonation and head. There's a nice ring of lacing through out. Nice scents of sweet malt, caramel/toffee. There's a very nice sweet taste and a medium body to this brew. This is a highly recommended brew which is very drinkable IMHO. I really enjoyed this brew.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

presentation: 12oz. bottle with a painted wooden sign-like logo on the front with two men sharing a stein of beer. "salvator" is engraved in the wood below. 06.05 is the date displayed on the front. please note that this review is taking place 08.16.05. i purchased this beer in may. abv is displayed at 7.5%.

appearance: pours a beautifully clear brick red-brown with dark brown shadows and ruby highlights into a pilsner glass. nice and tight off white two finger head that dropped fairly quickly. lacing and sticking is minimal.

smell: bread and caramel. light fruit and alcohol aromas. maybe dates or prunes or grapes. dark fruit smells.

taste: malty and alcohol in the first sip. a tad spicey and grapes. complex malt flavors with little bitterness. clean sweet finish with a vinous alcohol aftertaste.

mouthfeel: mouthfeel is light but smooth. swallow clunks a bit. too thin for my likes. very little carbonation.

drinkability: i find this to have just moderate drinkability. alcohol is too evident. aftertaste makes drinking difficult for me.

overall: i've heard many say that salvator is the best dopelbock around for the money. maybe so, but in my opinion, i'd rather pay the extra for celebrator. just an average brew in my opinion.

This beer pours a reddish amber color with a light tan head that mellows out to a ring around my glass. It is pretty clear.

The Aroma is of malt and spicy hops.

The flavor is rich with malty sweetness with some spicier hop addition. There is some alcohol presence in the breath after the sip.

The mouthfeel is good. Medium body with medium carbonation. Definately a beer to recommend.

It's a drinkable beer for me but for someone who doesn't drink a lot you might not want to make it your session beer.

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours with a nice 2 finger head, that faded to a thin layer slightly off-white. Color was a nutty brown some hints of orange.

Smell was definately malty, rich, and a bit of caramel. Also picked up some mixed floral scent.

It feels a bit creamy on the intake, then there is some spice to balance that out, which is a nice touch. However I couldn't help feeling that this went down a little watery (to the point of seeming a bit flat). Also it left a rich, carmelly sweet kind a pastiness in the back of my mouth. I'll have to try some more Dopplebocks, to see if it's just this style of beer, or this particular brand that I did not fancy.

<Update> ok, just had the Celebrator last night (review forthcoming), and must say it's not the style of this I did not care for, it was this beer in particular, as I loved the Celebrator.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a dark amber/ copper color, with a white lacy head. Smell is dark carmel malt. Taste is of complex malt, finished of with some light hop sweetness. Goes down smooth for such a dark beer. Definitly a quality beer, one I will be sure to enjoy again.

4.47/5  rDev +14%

This is an outstanding beer. Always on tap at the local german bar. A dark brown beer with a small head that leaves some lacing. The aroma is of dark roasted malt caramelized through a long hard boil leaving trails of complexity and enjoyment, finished off by a nice noble hop spice that gives a little tartness to all the sweetness. Very drinkable and when the serve them in 1 liter steins the room can get fuzzy fast.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Color is a dark red-hued brown, with a slightly off-white head. Most of the head dissapears but a constant white layer stays atop the brew.

Aroma is malty with hints of caramel and roasted malts.

Taste is sweet and malty; alcohol content is not pronounced. Medium-full mouth feel.

Drinkability is very good for a beer this strong; watch out.

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Please pardon the brevity of this review, I am attempting to catch up (between work assignments) from weeks of tasting based on notes...

Beer has a thick white head that fades to a thin film' crystal clear, amber brown body and pour

Smell is precisely that of freshly warmed sweet bread

Starts with a robust hop bitterness; settles full-boided with slight honey-lemon flavor atop a malty-smooth caramel base; finishes with a powerful bitter flavor that lacks a specific equivalent elsewhere in the world of flavors, in my opinion

The beer's strong aftertaste doesn't last.

Salvator Doppel Bock from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG