Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Oktoberfest WiesnPaulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

This beer is a limited release brewed to celebrate the 200th Munich Oktoberfest.

(Beer added by: ZeroSignal on 09-03-2010)
UnknownMale282

11-16-2011 17:53:52 | More by UnknownMale282
ppoitras

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

1L can purchased as part of stein/can package at Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Date on bottom indicates 5/20/11 and 5/20/12, probably indicating born on and best by dates.

Poured into the krug that came with the package, formed a 1" eggshell head over the clear golden amber brew. Pillowy head falls slowly, with lasting lace. Aroma is bready with a tinge of citrus (but that maybe from the orange I just peeled for my daughter).

Taste starts moderately malty, bitter hops sizzle in the middle, closes with revisit of sweet and a lingering hops bitterness. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is easy. Good stuff, glad I fell for the marketing ploy and got a glass and some good brew.

11-15-2011 22:18:43 | More by ppoitras
DoubleJ

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

The marketing for Paulaner Weisn Bier is rather clever. It comes in a one liter "oil can" with a one liter Paulaner branded Oktoberfest mug. Now I have two one liter mugs at home. On to the beer:

Somewhat golden and paleish orange colored. There's a big soapy looking head on top which has good retention and gives off spotty lacing. It has a sweet nose, along the lines of honey. Orange blossom sneaks into the overall nose.

Rather simple in the taste. Malty (duh!) and very hearty, providing plenty of honey annd blossoms with a touch of flowers in the mix. There's a trickle of alcohol that is perceived. The first half liter wasn't much of a problem to drink, but as I got inot the second half, the heartiness started to catch up to me.

Not bad, even though I'm more keen with my marzen's being darker colored. There are worse ways to spend your beer money than adding one more piece of glassware to your collection and getting a "one off" tick in the process.

11-08-2011 06:18:25 | More by DoubleJ
lwillitz

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

1-liter can poured into enormous Paulaner mug that came with it

My can says "Oktoberfest Wiesn." I believe it is the same beer.

A - crystal-clear golden yellow body under a thick/fluffy white head; lots of visible carbonation

S - grain, grass, touch of sweetness, hint of alcohol

T - grainy flavor (primarily corn), honey sweetness, hops hide under the corn, bittersweet finish with a touch of alcohol

M - smooth medium body (certainly fuller than it looks); high carbonation; alcohol warmth in the finish

O - The mug is a nice addition to my glassware collection. The beer is average.

11-05-2011 00:14:45 | More by lwillitz
vickersspitfire

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured into a pint glass, its crystal clear and very yellowish with some decent carbonation. The body is topped off with a nice thick white head that’s bubbly and leaves minimal lacing on the glass. I smell some malt and slight citrus aromas but not much else. The beer is crisp on your tongue and remains crisp throughout the tasting, it a light to medium body and leaves a slight alcohol taste in your mouth. I picked up some slight spices and hops, some wheat flavors did come through. Its mildly sweet with a slight bitter aftertatse, but its flavor is pretty mild over all. This is a good beer and quit refreshing

11-04-2011 01:55:27 | More by vickersspitfire
Sachsenfreude

Germany

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

appearance; light amber with a bleached white head. Head starts out thick but dissipates slowly to a cm. for the duration of the drink.

smell; sweet malts with honey and a bit of hops that give a mild herbal tone. Really nice to smell this while drinking.

taste; the very mildest hints of grassy hops, before some powerful malts take hold and coat the palate with wet grains dipped in honey. This is a very delicious beer, with a lingering aftertaste of malts, a prime example of the style.

mouthfeel; upfront some spikey carbonation but mellows out into a crisp and refreshing finish.

overall; one of the better examples of the style and so very drinkable, a classic, highly recommended!

11-03-2011 21:22:50 | More by Sachsenfreude
ramseye4

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

As most of the Americans that tried this beer, I got the 1 litre stein/can combo. And I'm pretty excited for it.
A=Pours a really light golden color, with a massive foamy head.
S=Faint, light, malty. Not too much going on here to be honest.
T=Malt heavy and surprisingly sweet, it has a touch of honey in it. Very drinkable and a pleasant departure from most marzens.
M=Medium in the body and the high carbonation complements the flavor well.
O=Not bad at all, very drinkable, and a refreshing example of the Oktoberfest style.

11-03-2011 02:39:07 | More by ramseye4
Zorro

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%

Giant 1 Quart sized can of beer.

Clear golden colored beer with a tall white colored head. Far paler than I expected.

Smell is Sweet grains with a grassy hop scent.Nice herbal hop scent.

Starts out sweet with a big grain flavor. Sweeter than I would have expected but it doesn't detract from the drinkability. Still I expected more of a Hefeweizen. Nice agreeable beer but not a knock your socks off beer.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a good beer. It is what Oktoberfest beers are meant to be, nice and consumable in a 1 Liter sized Mug!

10-30-2011 01:18:40 | More by Zorro
twiggamortis420

4.28/5  rDev +12%

Finally caved and bought the damn can/stein combo...1L can pours a very clear gold color with a big, fluffy off-white head. Modest retention and lacing in the new glassware, which I am not quite sure how often I will bustin this beast of melted sand out.

Nose is surprisingly sweet, with grainy malt and nutty lager yeast making up the majority of the aroma. I was expecting some grassy hops, but am not really detecting much of that.

Oh yea, this is nice! Sweet grains for sure, but it is so amazing at how drinkable this beer is and balances out nicely from start to finish. A moderate hop bitterness comes out in the middle to help dry things out a bit. After having the Hofbrau (light okto-fest style) offering more than a few times, I was expecting something akin to a helles..but this delivers much more malt body and flavor - mmmm, tasty. Im already halfway through the liter and showing absolutely zero signs of slowing down! So smooth and easy to drink. Makes you wish the mass-produced lagers in the US tasted this freaking delicious. I much prefer this to the marzen-style oktoberfests. So good in fact, I am actually thinking about buying another can/glass combo just for the beer and giving the glass away for free. Loved it.

10-26-2011 03:44:29 | More by twiggamortis420
Pwnzilla

Washington

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a giant beer stein from a giant can! Appearance is light golden. Smells strongly of bread. Taste some bread like qualities with a little malt. Kind of light on the mouthfeel, kind of surprised this is 6%. Overall I'm pretty impressed with this. I bought it so I would have a giant glass to drink beer from but now I might get another one. I wish I could get this year round here.

10-25-2011 00:53:35 | More by Pwnzilla
ZAP

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Great aroma....bready...honeyed...richly malty...

Body is a little lighter than most ofests and not as sticky sweet...taste is .bready with lemon grass, and honey....definitely sweeter style of beer but a nice dose of noble hops adds a nice dimension.

I like this a lot and would love to drink many liters of this...for now I have one...

10-16-2011 23:55:20 | More by ZAP
dcook11

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

A- Poured into a mug. Thick white three finger head. The beer is honey/golden star colored. Decent carbonation and lacing.

S- Malt forward. Very bready. Crackers with a touch of honey.

T- Very drinkable for the 6 percent. Bready, malty, sweet.

M- Light approaching medium bodied.

O- A good marzen. Not the best, but definitly would have again.

10-15-2011 09:29:42 | More by dcook11
mikeg67

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

1L Can. Pours deep golden with a white, short lived head and lively carbonation. Nose is of bready malt and herbal hops. Body is medium and smooth. Bready malt, grain and light noble hops fill the mouth. Clean, grainy-hoppy finish. Pleasant session brew.

10-10-2011 14:56:47 | More by mikeg67
MrMcGibblets

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

saw the 1L can and stein deal and had to get it. dates on bottom of can are 5.20.11 and 2.20.12.
A: gold to deep gold. clear. decent white head and lacing. gotta love it in the liter mug.
S: bready, cracker-like lagerish malts and grassy, vegetal, slightly spicy noble hops.
T: follows the nose. sweet bready malts are washed out by light, smooth noble hops and carbonation. finishes mostly crisp and almost dry.
M: well carbonated, nice and frothy. light to medium body.
D: i can see how this is consumed in large quantities. like that it came in a 1L can.

10-09-2011 02:26:03 | More by MrMcGibblets
Halcyondays

3.43/5  rDev -10.2%

1L can picked up at Farmer's Harvest, into my Paulaner liter mug she goes, canned 6/29/11,

A: Pours a sparkling goldenrod with a dense fizzy three finger white head, good retention, spotty lace.

S: Sweet notes of Vienna like malt, sweet caramel, subtle noble hopping.

T: Bready malt flavour, some sweet Munich flavours on the back end which were enjoyable. Some cracked grain, lightly bitter grassy hop flavour.

M: Light-bodied, thin for the style for me, fairly fizzy. Pretty smooth overall.

O: Not a bad fest, it was nice to get one fairly fresh. It's clear though that regular Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen is the superior brew, much more of a depth of character. It looks like the pale lager is the way Oktoberfests are going, I know why for mass appeal, but I don't like it.

10-09-2011 01:57:47 | More by Halcyondays
tobelerone

Connecticut

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

On draft at NJ Pilsner Haus in Hoboken.

Let me say I am not the biggest fan of this style but I can be fair and this one left a good deal to be desired. Following this with a Ramstein Octoberfest cast it in even poorer light. The head wasn't particularly big, faded face. Very muted aromas on a straw yellow, clear beer. Mild, very mild taste with the faintest hop bitterness and little malt character to write home about. Metallic even on tap. Watery and boring.

Drinks easy and is crisp and refreshing. Guess it's a good one for all those endless steins but not for a BA interested in flavor. I don't need everything to be huge and barrel aged but gimme something to work with please.

10-08-2011 04:49:06 | More by tobelerone
GarthDanielson

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up one of the gift packs that includes a 1L mug with the can inside. Poured said can into said mug. This beer was brewed on May 20, 2011 according to the date on the bottom of the can. The beer pours with a tall, bright white, foamy, sudsy head that starts at a whopping three inches in this huge glass, and then slowly settles into a dense, clingy head. The beer is a slighty hazed, yellow-gold coloring that is vibrant, and almost honey colored in the depths. The beer's aromas are extremely effervescent, with a blend of toasted grains, a touch of honey, and a background presence of hops (noble?). The beer has a very light and smooth blend of flavors, with a slight tangy malt sweetness, a toasty quality, and the crisp and clean characters of hops sprinkled around the end of the palate. The aftertaste has a honey sweetness and tang, but only for a short amount of time, as the hops presence cleans your tastebuds for a clean crisp finish. I was impressed how clean and quick the finish was with such a creamy, rich, and round body. Good brew.

10-08-2011 00:11:31 | More by GarthDanielson
medic25

Connecticut

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Like several others, I picked up the 1-liter can packaged with the traditional Octoberfest seidel glass; who knows if I'll ever get to Munich, so this might be as close as I'll get. The first pour looks great, with a big frothy white head atop a clear, sparkling golden brew. Aroma is a little sweet, without being artificial. Taste is nice; mostly malt and bread, with a little bit of hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel was a little light and sweet, probably good for the style bot not my favorite. Overall the big liter glass was good at reminding me I need to work out to drink from it, but otherwise it was very enjoyable.

10-02-2011 02:19:42 | More by medic25
Ryanthebear

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Saw this beer in a giant 1 liter can packaged inside a giant seidel glass and had to give it a try. The appearance is a sort of golden yellow. The aroma gives off some floral notes, but nothing extraordinary. However, I was blown away in terms of taste and mouthfeel. This beer is sweet without being overpowering, full bodied without being heavy, and incredibly drinkable. Now I understand why it was sold by the liter.

10-01-2011 00:03:39 | More by Ryanthebear
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%

A strange (but not un-seasonal) find at a suburban Old Chicago in the the downriver Detroit area.

This beer appears crystal clear, gleaming gold hue, with one thin finger of creamy, soapy white head, which renders a broad limestone ring of lace around the glass as it sinks away. It smells of faint wheat grain, a bit of floral fruitiness, and mild yeast. The taste is bready malt, more subtle, spicy yeast, and edgy, grassy, metallic 'meadow' hops. The bubbles are fairly zippy, the body medium weight, and generally smooth. It finishes with a dry bready graininess.

A lighter, more lager-like version of an Oktoberfest, but still enjoyable on a late summer day, and drinkable enough.

09-27-2011 22:21:59 | More by biboergosum
BelgiumBill

4.05/5  rDev +6%

I paid $8.99 at Costco for a huge 1 liter can with a monster Seidel glass.

Served it in the Seidel at 37 degrees. The pour produced a massive 4 finger off-white eggshell foamy head that left lots of fine lacing as it dissipated. The color was a golden bright brass.

Served it at 37 degrees knowing it would take a while to finish this liter and it would warm.

The smell was of grains, wheat, hops

The first impression was how very drinkable and smooth it is which is good cause with a liter I got a long way to go.

The flavors were grains, wheat, rice, bread, and a citrusy zest.

Very fine overall and very drinkable. At 6% the whole liter produced a good buzz. As it warmed the flavors were more prominent. I'm gonna buy another.

09-25-2011 23:39:29 | More by BelgiumBill
metter98

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

On-tap at Pilsner Haus, Hoboken, NJ

A: The beer is crystal clear deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that eventually completely faded away, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of sweet, grainy malts in the nose along with hints of floral hops.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and has flavors of bready and grainy malts along with a good amount of malty sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a bit of dryness in the finish.
O: The beer is very easy to drink; the sweetness isn’t cloying because it is balanced off enough by the underlying hops.

09-25-2011 14:06:04 | More by metter98
woodychandler

The CANQuest (TM) has some catching up to do! I have been very lax since the beginning of the school year and I am hoping to get a) either off of that merry-go-'round or b) catch my breath and drink some beer. Tonight is more of the latter than the former. I scored the glass/CAN combo at The Fridge last weekend but I did not have a chance to drink the beer so here goes ...

From the (big-ass) CAN: " The long tradition of the Munich Oktoberfest began in 1810 on the occasion of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig von Bayern and Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen, to which the Munich population was also invited. Munich's residents lovingly call the area on which the world's largest folk festival has traditionally taken place since then the "Wiesn" (meadow). You [CAN] also participate in our festival this year again, since we are bringing the Oktoberfest feeling into your home. Celebrate with us and enjoy drinking a 'Oktoberfest Wiesn' specialty out of an original 'Wiesn' beer mug. Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn Bier is brewed strictly according to the Bavarian beer purity law of 1516 only from the best natural ingredients. It has the character of a typically bottom-fermented festival brew - a deep golden yellow color, with a balanced harmonious taste and the pleasant fragrance of hops. A full-bodied, wonderfully mellow Wiesn Ale [?] enjoyment."

I am sooo stoked to get the Crack & Glug going on this one! Just as Van Halen sang in "Everybody Wants Some!!", "... I like the little way the line runs up the back of the stockings", I like the way the seam runs up the CAN on the side. It is very evocative of the old steel CANs with the pop top. Now, I want some, too! So much so that I even paid for it, WTF?!?

The pour created no less than three (!) fingers of dense, bone-white head with excellent retention. I was impressed, which is unusual given my jaded persona. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Greg Koch CAN hate fizzy yellow beers all he wants, but this was my idea of epic! Nose was very sweet and grainy, cereal-like in its intensity. Not adjunct-driven, but a cereal-like semi-sweetness not generally found in an Oktoberfest. Prosit! Mouthfeel was medium and it was much less sweet in the mouth than the nose led me to expect. It had a medium body with a decent, but not overpowering, amount of carbonation. The sweetness of the style was there, but it was not cloying as some examples have been of late. We had the Lancaster Liederkranz Choir at Iron Hill today and I felt badly - I know all of the words, but in English, not German! Grummy Fryberger nee Chandler would be disappointed. Not disappointing, however, was this beer. The finish was semi-dry, which is about how I CAN tolerate the style. I really hate cloying, syrupy Oktoberfests (do you hear me, Sam. Adams?), but this was decent. Plus, I got a new big azzz glass in the deal. I love beer from a CAN - it makes me wistful and nostalgic.

Ach du lieber! I also intended to recount the tale of Erik M., a fellow student with whom I grew up. For his graduation present, his parents sent him to Munich for Oktoberfest and despite all of our underage drinking, he came home amazed at what he had encountered. "Little girls were drinking me under the table and I could barely lift my glass!" he told us. I snickered in my status as a seagoing sailor, but in my age, I know where he was coming from.

09-25-2011 03:44:18 | More by woodychandler
rockyfire

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours a rich yellow color with a soapy pure white head. Some lacing on the glass. The aroma is of a doughy German malt, some honey, grassy and peppery hops. The taste is of the sweet doughy munich malt, light grains, honey, touch of tin and some grassy and peppery hop. Pretty much a stronger munich helles and typical festbier. The body is moderate with semi-soft carbonation; sweet overall finishes with a slight peppery hop balance. Comes in a big can. Was glad to try this beer.

09-24-2011 12:47:11 | More by rockyfire
TMoney2591

Served in the requisite Paulaner krug.

Finally pulled the trigger on the can/krug combo. Almost immediately proud of the decision. This stuff pours a mostly clear russet-golden-amber topped by a finger of light off-tan foam. The nose comprises light orange zest, lightly toasted wheat bread, light caramel, grass, and a touch of cashew. The taste drops the cashew, opting instead for a nice blend of mandarin orange and caramel-dripped wheat bread, with some grass tossed in the back for good measure. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation, and a smooth, kinda creamy feel. Overall, a very nice O-Fest, one I kinda wish I could sample in Munich sometime...

09-24-2011 02:18:33 | More by TMoney2591