Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn - Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Oktoberfest WiesnPaulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.00% ABV

This beer is a limited release brewed to celebrate the 200th Munich Oktoberfest.

(Beer added by: ZeroSignal on 09-03-2010)
3.43/5  rDev -10.2%

1L can picked up at Farmer's Harvest, into my Paulaner liter mug she goes, canned 6/29/11,

A: Pours a sparkling goldenrod with a dense fizzy three finger white head, good retention, spotty lace.

S: Sweet notes of Vienna like malt, sweet caramel, subtle noble hopping.

T: Bready malt flavour, some sweet Munich flavours on the back end which were enjoyable. Some cracked grain, lightly bitter grassy hop flavour.

M: Light-bodied, thin for the style for me, fairly fizzy. Pretty smooth overall.

O: Not a bad fest, it was nice to get one fairly fresh. It's clear though that regular Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen is the superior brew, much more of a depth of character. It looks like the pale lager is the way Oktoberfests are going, I know why for mass appeal, but I don't like it.

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

On draft at NJ Pilsner Haus in Hoboken.

Let me say I am not the biggest fan of this style but I can be fair and this one left a good deal to be desired. Following this with a Ramstein Octoberfest cast it in even poorer light. The head wasn't particularly big, faded face. Very muted aromas on a straw yellow, clear beer. Mild, very mild taste with the faintest hop bitterness and little malt character to write home about. Metallic even on tap. Watery and boring.

Drinks easy and is crisp and refreshing. Guess it's a good one for all those endless steins but not for a BA interested in flavor. I don't need everything to be huge and barrel aged but gimme something to work with please.

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up one of the gift packs that includes a 1L mug with the can inside. Poured said can into said mug. This beer was brewed on May 20, 2011 according to the date on the bottom of the can. The beer pours with a tall, bright white, foamy, sudsy head that starts at a whopping three inches in this huge glass, and then slowly settles into a dense, clingy head. The beer is a slighty hazed, yellow-gold coloring that is vibrant, and almost honey colored in the depths. The beer's aromas are extremely effervescent, with a blend of toasted grains, a touch of honey, and a background presence of hops (noble?). The beer has a very light and smooth blend of flavors, with a slight tangy malt sweetness, a toasty quality, and the crisp and clean characters of hops sprinkled around the end of the palate. The aftertaste has a honey sweetness and tang, but only for a short amount of time, as the hops presence cleans your tastebuds for a clean crisp finish. I was impressed how clean and quick the finish was with such a creamy, rich, and round body. Good brew.

3.98/5  rDev +4.2%

Like several others, I picked up the 1-liter can packaged with the traditional Octoberfest seidel glass; who knows if I'll ever get to Munich, so this might be as close as I'll get. The first pour looks great, with a big frothy white head atop a clear, sparkling golden brew. Aroma is a little sweet, without being artificial. Taste is nice; mostly malt and bread, with a little bit of hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel was a little light and sweet, probably good for the style bot not my favorite. Overall the big liter glass was good at reminding me I need to work out to drink from it, but otherwise it was very enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Saw this beer in a giant 1 liter can packaged inside a giant seidel glass and had to give it a try. The appearance is a sort of golden yellow. The aroma gives off some floral notes, but nothing extraordinary. However, I was blown away in terms of taste and mouthfeel. This beer is sweet without being overpowering, full bodied without being heavy, and incredibly drinkable. Now I understand why it was sold by the liter.

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A strange (but not un-seasonal) find at a suburban Old Chicago in the the downriver Detroit area.

This beer appears crystal clear, gleaming gold hue, with one thin finger of creamy, soapy white head, which renders a broad limestone ring of lace around the glass as it sinks away. It smells of faint wheat grain, a bit of floral fruitiness, and mild yeast. The taste is bready malt, more subtle, spicy yeast, and edgy, grassy, metallic 'meadow' hops. The bubbles are fairly zippy, the body medium weight, and generally smooth. It finishes with a dry bready graininess.

A lighter, more lager-like version of an Oktoberfest, but still enjoyable on a late summer day, and drinkable enough.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

I paid $8.99 at Costco for a huge 1 liter can with a monster Seidel glass.

Served it in the Seidel at 37 degrees. The pour produced a massive 4 finger off-white eggshell foamy head that left lots of fine lacing as it dissipated. The color was a golden bright brass.

Served it at 37 degrees knowing it would take a while to finish this liter and it would warm.

The smell was of grains, wheat, hops

The first impression was how very drinkable and smooth it is which is good cause with a liter I got a long way to go.

The flavors were grains, wheat, rice, bread, and a citrusy zest.

Very fine overall and very drinkable. At 6% the whole liter produced a good buzz. As it warmed the flavors were more prominent. I'm gonna buy another.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

On-tap at Pilsner Haus, Hoboken, NJ

A: The beer is crystal clear deep yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin white head that eventually completely faded away, leaving only a thin ring of bubbles on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: There are aromas of sweet, grainy malts in the nose along with hints of floral hops.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and has flavors of bready and grainy malts along with a good amount of malty sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is a bit of dryness in the finish.
O: The beer is very easy to drink; the sweetness isn’t cloying because it is balanced off enough by the underlying hops.

The CANQuest (TM) has some catching up to do! I have been very lax since the beginning of the school year and I am hoping to get a) either off of that merry-go-'round or b) catch my breath and drink some beer. Tonight is more of the latter than the former. I scored the glass/CAN combo at The Fridge last weekend but I did not have a chance to drink the beer so here goes ...

From the (big-ass) CAN: " The long tradition of the Munich Oktoberfest began in 1810 on the occasion of the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig von Bayern and Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen, to which the Munich population was also invited. Munich's residents lovingly call the area on which the world's largest folk festival has traditionally taken place since then the "Wiesn" (meadow). You [CAN] also participate in our festival this year again, since we are bringing the Oktoberfest feeling into your home. Celebrate with us and enjoy drinking a 'Oktoberfest Wiesn' specialty out of an original 'Wiesn' beer mug. Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn Bier is brewed strictly according to the Bavarian beer purity law of 1516 only from the best natural ingredients. It has the character of a typically bottom-fermented festival brew - a deep golden yellow color, with a balanced harmonious taste and the pleasant fragrance of hops. A full-bodied, wonderfully mellow Wiesn Ale [?] enjoyment."

I am sooo stoked to get the Crack & Glug going on this one! Just as Van Halen sang in "Everybody Wants Some!!", "... I like the little way the line runs up the back of the stockings", I like the way the seam runs up the CAN on the side. It is very evocative of the old steel CANs with the pop top. Now, I want some, too! So much so that I even paid for it, WTF?!?

The pour created no less than three (!) fingers of dense, bone-white head with excellent retention. I was impressed, which is unusual given my jaded persona. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Greg Koch CAN hate fizzy yellow beers all he wants, but this was my idea of epic! Nose was very sweet and grainy, cereal-like in its intensity. Not adjunct-driven, but a cereal-like semi-sweetness not generally found in an Oktoberfest. Prosit! Mouthfeel was medium and it was much less sweet in the mouth than the nose led me to expect. It had a medium body with a decent, but not overpowering, amount of carbonation. The sweetness of the style was there, but it was not cloying as some examples have been of late. We had the Lancaster Liederkranz Choir at Iron Hill today and I felt badly - I know all of the words, but in English, not German! Grummy Fryberger nee Chandler would be disappointed. Not disappointing, however, was this beer. The finish was semi-dry, which is about how I CAN tolerate the style. I really hate cloying, syrupy Oktoberfests (do you hear me, Sam. Adams?), but this was decent. Plus, I got a new big azzz glass in the deal. I love beer from a CAN - it makes me wistful and nostalgic.

Ach du lieber! I also intended to recount the tale of Erik M., a fellow student with whom I grew up. For his graduation present, his parents sent him to Munich for Oktoberfest and despite all of our underage drinking, he came home amazed at what he had encountered. "Little girls were drinking me under the table and I could barely lift my glass!" he told us. I snickered in my status as a seagoing sailor, but in my age, I know where he was coming from.

3.45/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich yellow color with a soapy pure white head. Some lacing on the glass. The aroma is of a doughy German malt, some honey, grassy and peppery hops. The taste is of the sweet doughy munich malt, light grains, honey, touch of tin and some grassy and peppery hop. Pretty much a stronger munich helles and typical festbier. The body is moderate with semi-soft carbonation; sweet overall finishes with a slight peppery hop balance. Comes in a big can. Was glad to try this beer.

Served in the requisite Paulaner krug.

Finally pulled the trigger on the can/krug combo. Almost immediately proud of the decision. This stuff pours a mostly clear russet-golden-amber topped by a finger of light off-tan foam. The nose comprises light orange zest, lightly toasted wheat bread, light caramel, grass, and a touch of cashew. The taste drops the cashew, opting instead for a nice blend of mandarin orange and caramel-dripped wheat bread, with some grass tossed in the back for good measure. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation, and a smooth, kinda creamy feel. Overall, a very nice O-Fest, one I kinda wish I could sample in Munich sometime...

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

33.82oz (according to the can) poured into a Paulaner stein. Best by date 02/20/12.

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thick white frothy head that leaves some lace.

S- Slight grain aroma with some spice and earth. Toasted and malty.

T- Bready and sweet with a slight peppery finish. Quite hoppy actually with some bitterness and grass flavors lingering. Not quite as caramel or toffee flavored as I was expecting but very solid.

M- Light bodied with good carbonation.

O- Drinking basically three beers at once seemed like a daunting task at first but the alcohol is well hidden and it still tastes fine as it warms.

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a 1 liter can into a huge Paulaner mug.

The beer pours a yellow color with a nice-sized white head. The aroma is a mix of bready malt and some grain notes. Not too much going on but nothing offensive. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of grain and bread notes with a little bit of toffee and a hint of grass from the hops. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not really what I come to expect from an Oktoberfest beer, but you have to like the packaging which includes the 1L can and 1L mug for a nice price.

2.2/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured from a 1 liter can into an Oktoberfest Mug

Rich gold with thick white head that leaves nice lacing.

Smells like a Helles Lager, bready malts and floral hops.

mouthfeel: limp and flat

Taste: This is a Marzen? The can imparts a metalllic taste. Beer is a slightly darker Helles with a higher abv,

This can came free with the Paulaner Oktoberfest 1 Liter mug. I don't think I'd pay for it. I love Paulaner Pils so this was a disappointment.

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in 1 Liter Paulaner Mug

Golden Yellow transparant body. Not as big of a head as I was expecting. Steady, but slow carb bubbles rise to the surface.

Smells clean, crisp, and sweet. You can really smell those German pale malts. Has that 6-row macro flavor along with some German 2-row pils. Tastes like you're eating a big bowl of fresh cut grain and ripe corn soaked in sugar. Has a rich cereal sweetness to it. More Wiesn, less Oktoberfest. It actually tastes much like a Munich Helles, but with a much fuller mouthfeel. A quality, well-made beer but it's nothing mind-blowing. I would like to try a drier and thinner version... I think I would really enjoy that.

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from one liter can into a liter Paulaner glass mug.

Appearance: Bright and clear golden yellow with a tint of orange and lots of rising bubbles. Big four finger white head that lasts a few minutes before settling into a thin white layer. Foam had some tiny black specs that look like pepper. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet and bready caramel malts with toffee. Wheat grains and earthy hops. Some subtle hints of clove and other spices. Mostly grains and malts that stand out here.

Taste: Mildly sweet bready malts with caramel and toffee. Lots of grain. Some earthy hops give a mild bitterness. Light hints of spice. Tastes more like a Helles lager than a classic Marzen. Pretty good balance.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. Crisp and creamy.

Overall: A very solid lager even though its different than a typical Marzen. Sweetness and bitterness is nicely balanced.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

A-Pours a crystal clear light orange color with three fingers of dense white head into the Paulaner 1L Seidel glassware.

S-Toasty and bready malts with herbal hops and light hints of that kind of spicy Oktoberfest aroma.

T-Light, toasty and bready malt with a spicy and crisp herbal hop prescence.

M-Smooth and medium bodied with a slick feel and moderate carbonation.

D-This is one of the more drinkable beers I've had. I've already polished off 1/2 L in about 5 minutes.... need I say more? A new favorite for me, especially after a long day at work.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

I can always use more liter mugs--the perfect beer size. I didn't notice till I got home that it's a new Paulaner beer. So: slightly-less-than-liter can poured into liter mug.

It's a crystal-clear bright golden beer, with a small head, but many fine bubbles streaming up from below. Clean munich malt aroma, with a light hoppiness. The flavor isn't as interesting as the standard Paulaner oktoberfest. This tastes more like the Helles, perhaps a little more malty.

Not a very exciting beer. But at least I got another liter mug out of it.

Poured from an over sized liter can into a liter glass which came with it.

This pours a light yellowish color with a large white head. The smell are of malts, earthy grainy, a little grassy hops. The feel is light. The taste is pretty good lots of malts and a little hop bite at the end. Overall this was a pleasing beer.

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Paulaner Oktoberfest on the 1L can, best by Feb 19, 2012(canned May 19th, 2011)

Poured into the huge dimpled mug that came with the beer, it pours a crystal clear golden colour with a large head of foam. I tried to pour it ever so slowly so the foam wouldn't be so large but what the heck, it looks gorgeous in the glass as is.

The smell is grainy, earthy, and it has a flowery aroma mixed in there. Some mild bitterness also peeks through.

The taste is of bread and grain with some mild sweetness and bitterness, both of which are showing good balance. This canned version seems to me to have of an earthiness to it than I recollect from the draughts I've had in the past. I guess I need to check my notes.

On the low end of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Good mouthfeel, good drinkability but I reckon though I like the "authenticity", what with the huge 1L can and mug, the beer is getting warmer and warmer and I do prefer my Oktoberfests to be on the colder side when I'm drinking them and hoisting that mug is getting to be a chore. ;^)

The can is gorgeous, the beer is gorgeous, it has all of the Oktoberfest qualities I like...

4.78/5  rDev +25.1%

I love this time of the season. I pick this up at my Costco. It came with a huge glass and in a can that is 36oz. I had to pick it up for the German lager glass. This is a very drinkable beer with a great head on it. A nice white head, sight malty taste but some like Warsteiner Oktoberfest. I can drink this beer all day. I can't wait to drink this during foot games. Back to beer, it has sight after taste to me is perfect for fest beers. Check this beer out. I get it there are many different Fest beers out there. There are some fakes but some really good ones that is true to its form. I believe this is one of them. Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%

An oversized can (more than a quart) which comes in a massive dimpled glass beer mug for Oktoberest. Yeah it's a gimmick but the salesman somehow talked me into it. Yet the beer is actually not a disappointment. Poured a 3" white head and in fact every subsequent refill produced more than an 2" each time. Body is a clear straw yellow color. Smells of malt and classic hops. Taste, although a little BMC, has more malt and hops than typical, plus is nice and fresh and refreshing. It's a fine beer for a Fall party, Paulaner.

3.78/5  rDev -1%

A- straw yellow color and a big white head that disipates and leaves little lace.

S- cereal grains, light spice, sweet almonds, vegetal hops.

T- a really nice marzipan like sweetness, not overpowering. Light and refreshing, with prickly carbonation, and a good bitter aftertaste.

O- Some beers are just made to be quaffed without any thrills. This is one of them. What a session brew. Prost!

Paulaner Wiesn Bier

Pours a clear straw, bone white head, frothy. Smells of wheat, bready malt and herbal hops. Clean maltyness, wheaty with some faint bubblegum. Mildly bitter. Mouthfeel is light bodied and crisp. Overall, a nice Marzen beer, on the light side and easy to drink in mass quantities.

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

Served out of anniversary can into a pint glass.

Appears light in color. Very light yellow. I've heard, "beware of beers you can see through."

Smells and tastes of light creamy bananas. Subtle cloves.

Mouthfeel is light and creamy.

Overall a pretty good beer and I'm happy it's on my anniversary. Kudos on the commemorative octoberfest glass. Sure to pour beers in the future.

Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG