St. Nikolaus Bock Bier - Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 12-03-2002

Munich and various roasted malts give it a very malty, rich flavor with a hint of burnt flavor. 100% imported Hallertau hops, moderate bitterness and aroma.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Nikolaus Bock Bier Alström Bros

Poured into a tall slender pilsner glass from a 12oz.brown long neck bottle with crimped-on cap. 20 years on top label.

Beautiful clear ruby red color,thick/rocky off-white towards tan head.Good retention with chunks of lace sticking on the sides of the glass,lots of strings of tiny bubbles racing towards the top of the glass.

A delightful fruity and spicy aroma,woody,very malty with a sweet carmell/roasty/light burnt,smoke and hints of chocolate,very complex and inviting.Can't seem to keep my nose out of this beer.

A delicious,complex taste,very malty with sweet carmell/toffee tastes, also
chocolate,a bit nutty,a nice tartness,finishes crisp,clean with a lingering spicy/woodyness.

A medium mouthfeel,very creamy,slightly cloying a treat for the palate.
Very robust,tasty and enjoyable.Could drink all night,and have done it many times over the last 20 years. The beer gives me something to look foward to every Christmas season. Here's to another 20 years.
Everybody need to try this Christmas jewel !!!! (1,029 characters)

Clear dark brown (auburn to light source) with a low light brown head. Malty aroma - Chocolate and biscuity notes. Chewy, rich, smooth malty flavor with chocolate and dark caramel tones. Medium bodied (leans full) but deceptively strong.

One of my favorite, if not my favorite, non-hoppy winter brews !!

Label states: "Bavarian Hallertau hops"

ABV: 8.4% per the book "Best American Beers". (398 characters)

I love this beer. It is unbelievably smooth and rich with just the right amount of tartness to keep it from being a chocolate smoothie! I love this beer so much that I find myself only having 1 or 2 at the most when I feel I am actually worthy of the reward. It is that good trust me. "-) Makes winter here in Ohio a little more bearable! (338 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass from a 12oz.brown long neck bottle.

Pours beautiful clear ruby red color,thick/rocky tan head.Good retention with lots of lace sticking on the sides of the glass,lots of strings of tiny bubbles racing towards the top of the glass.

A delightful fruity and spicy aroma,woody,very malty with a sweet carmell/roasty/light burnt,smoke and hints of chocolate,very complex and inviting. Addicting nose. Can't seem to keep my nose out of this beer. Ah.

A delicious,complex taste,malty and sweet carmell/toffee tastes, also
chocolate,a bit nutty,a nice tartness,finishes crisp,clean with a lingering spice.

A medium mouthfeel,very creamy and a treat for the palate.
Very tasty and enjoyable.I will drink this all nigh, but will have to watch the ABV does not sneak up on me. This beer gives me something to look foward to every Christmas season. A built in X-Mas gift for anyone looking to purchase something for me this holiday season. This is a must try for everybody. You need to try this Seasonal Christmas Superstar from Penn Brewery. (1,073 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a bottle to a big thick mug.

A - deep copper red with a thick frothy head

S - Rich heavy malt and a hint of sweet caramel

T - Easily the best Bock brewed, this is my favorite beerand look forward to it every year. Taste is a monderfull sweet malt.

M - Smooth and velvety, good carbonation and goes down easy.

D - Could throw a few of these back, but not too many b/c of the ABV. You can't even begin to taste the high ABV, this brew is perfect. (465 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +22.9%

I'm already on my second case of this beer since it was released this season, so that is one indication of how much I enjoy this beer.

This is a very tasty beer. Make sure it has warmed up a bit; I usually let it sit for a couple minutes after removing it from the fridge.

It holds a good head and is a nice deep amber in color. I have been feeding this beer to everyone I know. I'm sure there are more detailed reviews for this beer. All I know is that I love it and you should support this brewer! (501 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours a nice deep mahogany with some ruby red highlights. The head on this one is really tiny. Less than a quarter inch of off white/tan head which leaves a nice ring around the edges for the length of the drink.

Nose on this one gets the senses going.
At first dry and roasted followed by nuts, mostly filberts. A nice dose of caramelized and brisk malt snapiness. Some brown sugar caps it all off for a wonderfully complex nose.

I've had this one two years ago as I could,nt find it last year. So I knew what to expect when I poured this one. Just a rediculious amount of goodness is contained in this bottle. My first sip almost brought me to my knees.

Really dry roasted and nutty at first. This one turns out to be semi-sweet with flavors of caramel, brown sugar, cocoa powder and even a slight bit of banana.

The mouthfeel on this one is a solid medium. The carbonation was perfectly in sync as well.

This is the definition of a winter session beer. For the colder months of the year, especially here in the good old northern US of A this beer has a nice solid body and tons of delicious flavor, yet is so drinkable at 7.5% abv. it is dangerous.

Enjoy this one in front of the fireplace and forget the rest of the night. (1,236 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured into a Warsteiner pils glass.

Very clear red body with a thick off white head and tons of bubbles streaming to the top.

Very malty and some carmel smells.

I taste some dark fruit then roasted nuts then some chocolate and it finishes very clean.

It seems like the carbonation is heavenly and is perfect.

Thanks Joe! This stuff is worth buying a case of.Very tasty and a sipper for sure. (407 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

a mighty fine bock, but you should expect that of Penn Brewery. mellow hoppiness at first and a little more bitey on the finish, another great apres ski(or better yet snowboard) beer, and one of the many things i miss about pittsburgh this time of year, worth your while for certin (281 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

This dark brown beer pours with a thin, tan head that is very creamy and leaves a nice lice on the glass. The aroma is primarily malt, with a touch of spiciness. The taste is strong on roasted flavors, with a touch of sweetness and nuttiness. Nice hop bittering on the finish cleans the palate. This beer is creamy on the tongue, with just a touch of alcohol. This beer finishes rather clean, and is very appetizing. It would be easy to knock back a few of these in short order. Another great brew from an oft overlooked brewery. (529 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +13.9%

Anybody seen my stocking?

Pours a dark russet with a thinnish, but pretty persistent, head. An aroma like I opened my Christmas stocking and Santa dumped a truckload of malt in it - as it should be!!

Very malty and round - pushes all of my "malt" flavor buttons in a big way. Big and chewy decoction-like flavors and some background butterscotch give way to more chocolate like notes in the finish, along with some hop spiciness and well controlled alcohol that balance this baby out nicely. No spices and it doesn't need any.

First time I've tried this, and it's well up into my top 10 holiday brews. (611 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a huge 3 finger head with great retention and lacing. Nice full brown color. I can barely see my fingers through the glass.

The smell is of caramel malts with some graininess.

Taste is a strong malty falvor of caramel malts with some chocolate malt presence. Some fruit notes are underneath as undertones. Some booziness comes out. The thickness of the malts balances this out as the beer warms.

Nice creaminess on the palate. Very smooth

Easy to drink. I haven't had many bocks, but this one is awesome.

Thanks to MuenchnerKindl for the sample. (556 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Dark Lager, Mildly transparent. Fizzy head that dissipates quickly leaving some light lacing down the glass. Big toasted malty sweetness up front with with some spicy notes and minimal bitterness on the back end. Really festive (230 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +13.1%

I am not normaly a darker beer fan...but this is the bomb. Smooth with a roasted carmel sweetness, not too sweet, just right in my book. I dont have many other bocks to compare it with as most I've tried I didn't much care for. This brew is something special. Thanks to Tom Pastorius for bring the Penn Brewery back to greatness. This brew will make for a great holiday season! lol If you enjoy lagers that aren't pussy beers...try this, it just might surprise you. (465 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: A very dark beer I would say a midnight black appearence, when poured the head is about an ince thick which dissapates rather fast but leaves a thin layer of lace on the top.

Smell: There is a lot of fruit in the scent, it reminds me of christmas in a way also I find that the smell of roasted oats is ever pervalent in the mix.

Taste: The taste is amazing, you can't even taste the alcohol, being that it is around 7.5% The major componet is the roasted oats but there is a subtle flavor of the fruits, mostly in the aftertaste which is plesently refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Smooth yet, tingly after the first quaff, if you let it sit the tingle sensation becomes very intense.

Drinkability: It is very refreshing though, having too many can tend to leave a bad after taste, unless it is with food. Pesonally, I only like to drink one by itself and the rest are with something to eat.

Overall this is another great seasonal beer by Penn. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a little warmth around the holidays! Cheers! (1,054 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a cloudy reddish-brown color with an initial tannish head. Head rather quickly fell to a thin coating with only sparse lacing to be found. Smell is richly malt with a nice touch of cinnamon present. I usually do not like cinnamon, but in this beer it compliments the malt nicely.Taste is fruity, spicy, malty and supremely enjoyable.Leaves a nice full and fruity mouthfeel. This is one of the finest beers I have had in a long time. Even though i am drinking it a hot spring evening, it really hits the spor. I am sorry I only bought one of these. (554 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a clear orange hued light brown with a fluffy white head that leaves lots of lacing behind. Smell is malty sweet and deep, with some fruitiness and a deep aroma of brown sugar with a dusting of cinnamon. A slight noble hop character as well. Upfront it's initially sweet then widening with a caramel, slightly plummy flavor, becomes very spicy into the finish with brown sugar and slight diacetyl(which i find very nice) emerging. Again a stab of cinnamon. All of this happens within a framework of vague nuttiness, which becomes more assertive through the finish. There's a slight tartness to the whole flavor parade which lets everything linger on the palate nicely. Very very nice. Mouthfeel is exactly what i want in a bock, perhaps could be a touch beefier. Excellent carbonation and scarily drinkable. One of my new favorites, though I have no access to it. After the second bottle I can say this is absolutely the best beer I've had yet in 2006, and that's saying a hell of a lot.

Thanks to beerbeing for this bottle. (1,033 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is a very dark amber with a wispy white head. The smell is a plumy malt sweetness. The taste is plum sweet...very nice maltiness, with a slight hint of the Hallertau, and the aftertaste features the cerealish taste that makes this a bock. Mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkability-wise, could definitely have a few of these.

Probably the finest offering from Penn Brewery, and sadly only a holiday offering. A delicious beer, with a nice sweetness, and something I'll be having plenty of (considering I just got half a case). (559 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%

Deep and slightly murky crimson. Small tan head recedes to a collaring in less than a minute. Really nice bready malt nose. Smells like I'm in for a meal. Some slight dark fruits are noticeable as well. This bock agrees with my palate tremendously. . Carmelized sugars, raisin and prune, molasses, some wood and a firm maltiness are accented by a ghostly herbal and dry hop character. Very pleasing. The body is damn near full and the mouthfeel is quite luscious. Nice Bock. I'd drink a lot of this in March if it were available here.

Thank you beergeek279. (560 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz bottle poured a dark amber color with small foam white head and nice lacing on the glass. Smell of sweet fruits, and malts make up a mouth watering scent. Taste is a nice blend of some sweet fruit malt and hop bitterness That taste like fresh cut grass smells in the finish. A medium feel in the mouth is not to heavy or light with a touch of carbonation on the tongue. This is definitely one of my favorite Penn brews and very easy to drink. (448 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

12oz. bottle that I got in the Penn Brewery variety pack. The bottle had a picture of old jolly St. Nick and no date notched on the side of the bottle. It's typical of Penn Brewery not to notch the date on the side along with all their beer labels being off center.

Appearance: Poured a nice dark murky amber color with a head of white foam 2in. in height. Lack of carbonation bubbles through out the pilsener glass.

Smell: A wonderful aroma of sweet dark fruits like plums and raisins, with the plums being more prevalent than the other fruits, and with some spices in the background. A nice Christmas aroma.

Taste: This is where you get to taste all those aromas that you smelled. The sweet dark fruits like plums and cherries and with the different spices in the background. Quite good!

Mouthfeel: The bottle said it was full bodied but it was more like medium bodied, sweet finish, and with no hint of that 7.5% alcohol content.

Drinkability: This made a nice well rounded winter beer that I could drink one after the another. I would do that, but I only have 5 bottles left. A must try for you Bock lovers! Keep up the good work Penn Brewing Company! (1,170 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Gauzy dark tawny with festive cranberry highlights and waxed orange trim. Christmas in a glass! Atop the liquid sits a splendid looking crown of lightly toasted gold. I mean that literally; the foam looks like a crown with ragged, raised edges of lace surrounding a humped 'head' in the middle of the glass. That particular look fades pretty quickly, but it was fun while it lasted.

One would think that after all these beers and all these years an original nose wouldn't be possible; but here it is in all its bockiness. St. Nikolaus smells like spiced pumpernickel bread pudding slathered in sweet, buttery, vanilla hard sauce. Is the Christmas theme going to my head? I don't think so. I think that Penn has simply crafted a lovely holiday lager.

This is good beer with a cherry on top and is, far and away, the best bock that I've had yet. It's wonderfully dark malty with a modicum of roasted malt that brings porter comparisons into play. It also tastes like sour, dark fruit, so lets add chunks of barely ripe plum to that bowl of bread pudding. I don't know if any spices have been added. I'm perfectly willing to attribute those flavors to the hops or the yeast.

Sweet, sour and bitter are all present and accounted for, especially the first two. Rather than conflict with one another, however, they add a dynamic tension that contributes a great deal of flavor interest. Warming brings a deepening and a more complete melding of the already deep flavor profile. The finish allows the bitterness of the hops to make a minor splash; yet another facet of this gem-like beer.

The body/mouthfeel is medium in heft, with an appealing lagery smoothness. I often wish for more of a full chewiness, especially in beer that tastes like this one, but I wouldn't change a thing in this case. The well-mannered carbonation combines with the lightly sinewy mouthfeel to render the beer impressively drinkable.

I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever drink a bock that was more than minimally pleasant and ultimately forgettable. St. Nikolaus Bock replaces that wonder with a new one... the wonder of Christmas morning when the present that brings the greatest amount of joy comes from the least likely of places. A true holiday treasure. (2,236 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a rich brown nearly black. Has a nice initial head that drops to a nice ring.

Smell is roasty malts, caramel.

Taste is caramel and chocolate. Roasted malts almost burnt flavors. Noticable hops.

Overall, this a very tasty beer and highly drinkable. A very nice Christmas brew. (317 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

I think this 2003 batch has been one of their better brews.Last years, (2002), was way too sweet. On tap far out weighs the bottle, but you will hear no complaints from this beer drinker. Simply put, this is an excellent holiday beer.

Smooth drinking. Nice dark brown color. Plenty of sweet maltiness without being overpowered by sweetness. You can drink this all night, and I have!

Available on tap at Elwoods in Rural Ridge, Pa. 724-265-1181 (449 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark brownish copper with a small, light tan, creamy, slowly diminishing head. Some nice spotty lacing. The smell dominated by malts, big and complex. The taste is also quite nicely big without being overbearing on the palate. Damn this stuff is good. A wonderful malt bomb and something I look forward every winter. (324 characters)

St. Nikolaus Bock Bier from Pennsylvania Brewing Company