St. Nikolaus Bock Bier - Pennsylvania Brewing Company

St. Nikolaus Bock BierSt. Nikolaus Bock Bier

Pennsylvania Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Munich and various roasted malts give it a very malty, rich flavor with a hint of burnt flavor. 100% imported Hallertau hops, moderate bitterness and aroma.

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 12-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Nikolaus Bock Bier Alström Bros

Poured into a tall slender pilsner glass from a 12oz.brown long neck bottle with crimped-on cap. 20 years on top label.

Beautiful clear ruby red color,thick/rocky off-white towards tan head.Good retention with chunks of lace sticking on the sides of the glass,lots of strings of tiny bubbles racing towards the top of the glass.

A delightful fruity and spicy aroma,woody,very malty with a sweet carmell/roasty/light burnt,smoke and hints of chocolate,very complex and inviting.Can't seem to keep my nose out of this beer.

A delicious,complex taste,very malty with sweet carmell/toffee tastes, also
chocolate,a bit nutty,a nice tartness,finishes crisp,clean with a lingering spicy/woodyness.

A medium mouthfeel,very creamy,slightly cloying a treat for the palate.
Very robust,tasty and enjoyable.Could drink all night,and have done it many times over the last 20 years. The beer gives me something to look foward to every Christmas season. Here's to another 20 years.
Everybody need to try this Christmas jewel !!!!

jcdiflorio, Dec 05, 2006

Clear dark brown (auburn to light source) with a low light brown head. Malty aroma - Chocolate and biscuity notes. Chewy, rich, smooth malty flavor with chocolate and dark caramel tones. Medium bodied (leans full) but deceptively strong.

One of my favorite, if not my favorite, non-hoppy winter brews !!

Label states: "Bavarian Hallertau hops"

ABV: 8.4% per the book "Best American Beers".

RBorsato, Jan 02, 2003

I love this beer. It is unbelievably smooth and rich with just the right amount of tartness to keep it from being a chocolate smoothie! I love this beer so much that I find myself only having 1 or 2 at the most when I feel I am actually worthy of the reward. It is that good trust me. "-) Makes winter here in Ohio a little more bearable!

StretchZep, Nov 20, 2010

jeanphony, Dec 17, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass from a 12oz.brown long neck bottle.

Pours beautiful clear ruby red color,thick/rocky tan head.Good retention with lots of lace sticking on the sides of the glass,lots of strings of tiny bubbles racing towards the top of the glass.

A delightful fruity and spicy aroma,woody,very malty with a sweet carmell/roasty/light burnt,smoke and hints of chocolate,very complex and inviting. Addicting nose. Can't seem to keep my nose out of this beer. Ah.

A delicious,complex taste,malty and sweet carmell/toffee tastes, also
chocolate,a bit nutty,a nice tartness,finishes crisp,clean with a lingering spice.

A medium mouthfeel,very creamy and a treat for the palate.
Very tasty and enjoyable.I will drink this all nigh, but will have to watch the ABV does not sneak up on me. This beer gives me something to look foward to every Christmas season. A built in X-Mas gift for anyone looking to purchase something for me this holiday season. This is a must try for everybody. You need to try this Seasonal Christmas Superstar from Penn Brewery.

VOW22, Nov 23, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured from a bottle to a big thick mug.

A - deep copper red with a thick frothy head

S - Rich heavy malt and a hint of sweet caramel

T - Easily the best Bock brewed, this is my favorite beerand look forward to it every year. Taste is a monderfull sweet malt.

M - Smooth and velvety, good carbonation and goes down easy.

D - Could throw a few of these back, but not too many b/c of the ABV. You can't even begin to taste the high ABV, this brew is perfect.

GoodKnight1220, Apr 07, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

I'm already on my second case of this beer since it was released this season, so that is one indication of how much I enjoy this beer.

This is a very tasty beer. Make sure it has warmed up a bit; I usually let it sit for a couple minutes after removing it from the fridge.

It holds a good head and is a nice deep amber in color. I have been feeding this beer to everyone I know. I'm sure there are more detailed reviews for this beer. All I know is that I love it and you should support this brewer!

thebighungry, Dec 19, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours a nice deep mahogany with some ruby red highlights. The head on this one is really tiny. Less than a quarter inch of off white/tan head which leaves a nice ring around the edges for the length of the drink.

Nose on this one gets the senses going.
At first dry and roasted followed by nuts, mostly filberts. A nice dose of caramelized and brisk malt snapiness. Some brown sugar caps it all off for a wonderfully complex nose.

I've had this one two years ago as I could,nt find it last year. So I knew what to expect when I poured this one. Just a rediculious amount of goodness is contained in this bottle. My first sip almost brought me to my knees.

Really dry roasted and nutty at first. This one turns out to be semi-sweet with flavors of caramel, brown sugar, cocoa powder and even a slight bit of banana.

The mouthfeel on this one is a solid medium. The carbonation was perfectly in sync as well.

This is the definition of a winter session beer. For the colder months of the year, especially here in the good old northern US of A this beer has a nice solid body and tons of delicious flavor, yet is so drinkable at 7.5% abv. it is dangerous.

Enjoy this one in front of the fireplace and forget the rest of the night.

cooch69, Nov 27, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

reitzbrewing, Nov 23, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

vwbus7, Jun 26, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a Warsteiner pils glass.

Very clear red body with a thick off white head and tons of bubbles streaming to the top.

Very malty and some carmel smells.

I taste some dark fruit then roasted nuts then some chocolate and it finishes very clean.

It seems like the carbonation is heavenly and is perfect.

Thanks Joe! This stuff is worth buying a case of.Very tasty and a sipper for sure.

MmmIPA, Mar 15, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +16.5%

This dark brown beer pours with a thin, tan head that is very creamy and leaves a nice lice on the glass. The aroma is primarily malt, with a touch of spiciness. The taste is strong on roasted flavors, with a touch of sweetness and nuttiness. Nice hop bittering on the finish cleans the palate. This beer is creamy on the tongue, with just a touch of alcohol. This beer finishes rather clean, and is very appetizing. It would be easy to knock back a few of these in short order. Another great brew from an oft overlooked brewery.

aaronh, Dec 03, 2002
4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

I am not normaly a darker beer fan...but this is the bomb. Smooth with a roasted carmel sweetness, not too sweet, just right in my book. I dont have many other bocks to compare it with as most I've tried I didn't much care for. This brew is something special. Thanks to Tom Pastorius for bring the Penn Brewery back to greatness. This brew will make for a great holiday season! lol If you enjoy lagers that aren't pussy beers...try this, it just might surprise you.

muskiecf, Nov 03, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Anybody seen my stocking?

Pours a dark russet with a thinnish, but pretty persistent, head. An aroma like I opened my Christmas stocking and Santa dumped a truckload of malt in it - as it should be!!

Very malty and round - pushes all of my "malt" flavor buttons in a big way. Big and chewy decoction-like flavors and some background butterscotch give way to more chocolate like notes in the finish, along with some hop spiciness and well controlled alcohol that balance this baby out nicely. No spices and it doesn't need any.

First time I've tried this, and it's well up into my top 10 holiday brews.

sponberg, Jan 07, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

a mighty fine bock, but you should expect that of Penn Brewery. mellow hoppiness at first and a little more bitey on the finish, another great apres ski(or better yet snowboard) beer, and one of the many things i miss about pittsburgh this time of year, worth your while for certin

irishevans, Dec 15, 2007

Merles, Jan 04, 2012

leinie13, Dec 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a huge 3 finger head with great retention and lacing. Nice full brown color. I can barely see my fingers through the glass.

The smell is of caramel malts with some graininess.

Taste is a strong malty falvor of caramel malts with some chocolate malt presence. Some fruit notes are underneath as undertones. Some booziness comes out. The thickness of the malts balances this out as the beer warms.

Nice creaminess on the palate. Very smooth

Easy to drink. I haven't had many bocks, but this one is awesome.

Thanks to MuenchnerKindl for the sample.

jasonjlewis, Dec 26, 2007

ryker47, Dec 31, 2013

foureyedgeek, Dec 15, 2012

tygry, Jan 01, 2014

OriolesFan1008, Jun 07, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: A very dark beer I would say a midnight black appearence, when poured the head is about an ince thick which dissapates rather fast but leaves a thin layer of lace on the top.

Smell: There is a lot of fruit in the scent, it reminds me of christmas in a way also I find that the smell of roasted oats is ever pervalent in the mix.

Taste: The taste is amazing, you can't even taste the alcohol, being that it is around 7.5% The major componet is the roasted oats but there is a subtle flavor of the fruits, mostly in the aftertaste which is plesently refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Smooth yet, tingly after the first quaff, if you let it sit the tingle sensation becomes very intense.

Drinkability: It is very refreshing though, having too many can tend to leave a bad after taste, unless it is with food. Pesonally, I only like to drink one by itself and the rest are with something to eat.

Overall this is another great seasonal beer by Penn. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a little warmth around the holidays! Cheers!

eze153, Nov 28, 2005