St. Nikolaus Bock Bier - Pennsylvania Brewing Company

St. Nikolaus Bock BierSt. Nikolaus Bock Bier

Pennsylvania Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Bock |  6.00% ABV

Munich and various roasted malts give it a very malty, rich flavor with a hint of burnt flavor. 100% imported Hallertau hops, moderate bitterness and aroma.

(Beer added by: SheepNutz on 12-03-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Nikolaus Bock Bier Alström Bros

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

Bottle courtesy of SS '05. Thanks guys.

Aroma is softer than I expected and holds some interesting complexity. Seems like almost a vanilla quality.
Really nice red color when help up to the light, otherwise more brown. Head is kinda' small but it has a nice creaminess to it and some determination. Laces nicely too.
Flavor is not quite right. If it's a spiced beer than the spices dominate. I'm picking up too little of any bold maltiness. Is this bottle old? Flawed? Skunked? I don't know, but it's not right.
Feel is fine. As it should be for style.
Not really drinkable as presented in this bottle.
Dissappointing. I hope I have the opportunity to try another sample, as a solid bock can be real pleasure.

2.25/5  rDev -43%

2.35/5  rDev -40.5%

A good example of "It may look good, but if it don't taste good..." but based on the other reviews I may have gotten a bad batch.

A - Clear dark brown body with a large quickly fading light brown head. The head had no lacing.

S - Burnt toast, mold. The aroma was similar to that of stagnant water.

T - Slightly sweet with a short aftertaste. One of the few beers that I have not been able to finish because of the taste (and in college I used to drink Meister Brau)

M - Light bodied. Slight fishy flavor but atleast there was a nuttiness from the malts.

D - No, not at all.

2.45/5  rDev -38%

Had on tap at the brewery in a pint glass.

Appearance - Dark, chestnut brown in color. Clear with a no head, no lacing, and no carbonation.

Smell - Not malty at all. Expected to smell a malt bomb here, but I could not detect the smell of the multiple malts used in this style. It is possible the beer may have been served to cold

Taste - Thin-bodied lager with low bitterness. As with the smell, I expected a malt bomb, but I could not taste the sticky, complex, malt flavor associated with this style.

Mouthfeel - Thin-bodied and crisp

Notes: Penn Brewery has made this beer better in the past, and I have positively reviewed it. Maybe I had a bad batch.

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured into an A-B flute on 2/27/12

Dark brown in the glass with rust and copper highlights. The two finger head crackles away in no time leaving little in the way of retention, save for a fizzy collar. Only a few specks of lacing.

The aroma is earthy, showing notes of toasted grain and chocolate. It has the semblance of cereal with some manner of chocolate or cocoa added at the industrial level.

The taste is similar to the aroma, though it has a slightly more notable roasted presence. That said, there's a generic taste to it; the grain and modest cocoa offset seem dull and one dimensional.

The feel is rather smooth, accented by a rolling carbonation that gets a tad more pointed toward the finish. Speaking of, the finish is earthy and a bit dirty.

This isn't totally bad; I'll finish the bottle, but it's easily on the lesser side of average. It's merely forgettable.

2.65/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured into a stemmed tulip: Just translucent, dark brown with nice ruby highlights & a thin, bubbly collar, just barely a wisp of head.

Nice smell -- lightly roasty chocolate, some dark licorice, & just a little coffee. Yum! Very clear malt smell, good stuff.

Huh. Taste is a bit of a letdown: a little watery, even mineral or aluminum, with some vaguely roasted notes hanging around. Even at a pretty reasonable ABV, the alcohol comes through too strongly. Man, that sucks! I was hoping for a nice, full malt taste, it's like the bottom just dropped out of this one. Aftertaste is like weak coffee, but that you got stuck with the grounds at the same time, slightly charred.
A little caramel sneaks in, but that's it, that's the high point.

Mouthfeel is thin & watery, & leaves behind a kind of astringent feeling.

Wow, what a curveball. I've had this in the past & loved it, & the aroma was right where I remembered it, but the taste was really lacking - in just plain wrong, too! Don't know if I got a bad bottle, but this in no way lives up to my memory of it.

EDIT: As I was rinsing out the bottle, I noticed a crescent of white residue on the bottom. I don't know if this had something to do with it not being up to snuff, but if it did, I'd hold the brewer accountable for that.

2.73/5  rDev -30.9%

I'm not a big bock fan, and this one really didn't do a lot to change my mind. The nose is dominated by diacetyl, huge butteriness. A little fruitiness in the flavor, but there doesn't seem to be a lot there. Hints of alcohol. I think the beer is overcarbonated and the mouthfeel suffers as a result.

Thanks for the effort anyway, BeerBeing.

2.93/5  rDev -25.8%

barcade in brooklyn. on tap.

a. dark brown, little head. at first is appealing, but the head soon dissolves into nothing, and it looks less than satisfactory.

s. not much, spicy bock notes... a little.

t. also not much. mellow spicy bock with slight malt and yeasty vibe. not much hop balance. unimpressed.

m. average beer mouthfeel, a little smoother and mellower.

d. easy to drink. im not sure what my "average" 3 is... but its closer to "not impressed" territory. its not something i would pay for and be excited about. but, regardless, cheers!

3.05/5  rDev -22.8%

I eagerly bought a whole case of St. Nick yesterday, so I may be modifying this report as it grows on me a bit. I bought the last case in the store. The box looked a little worse for the wear, so I hope it's a new (2006) batch and not something that had been sitting around for a year or more. I found out later that it was at least a year old; so this review is a bit off the mark, so-to-speak.

The beer poured into the glass very dark amber, with a gorgeous head that left a nice lace as it disappeared. In the smell I caught hints of roasted malt (as I expected) and a slightly fruity (hops?) odor that seemed a bit stronger than I had expected. The mouthfeel was thinner than I thought. The taste, however, was confusing. I hope that the complexity of the brew is the reason (and not a year's worth of sitting in a warehouse). It tasted not bitter, not tart, but something akin to sour. I didn't expect that. Perhaps that's what it should be (from the other reviews I've read that cite "raisin" or "berry" or "fruit" in the taste). Even so, no matter how good the product, I couldn't give this batch (or this bottle) a high rating. I'll amend when I find it fresh.

3.05/5  rDev -22.8%

Smells like a brown, malt, malt and more malt without hops and a little alcohol. No head, and no lace. Well, a little left, but not much and a beautiful dark brown, clear, great looking beverage.

Mouth was lager. watery, not much of aftertaste with a quick wash. Taste , well, this was a brown ale more than a bock. Slightly toasted malt gave way to a slightly hoppy drink with a bitter edge, but nothing to wow me. Caramel was present. Maybe a rounded alcohol remainder. Okay drinker, but nothing I'll seek out.

3.2/5  rDev -19%

3.2/5  rDev -19%

Poured beer from bottle to tumbler at 45 degrees which was too cold. Beer had a nice dark roasted color with a fine bubbly tan head. Roasted hop taste, light nutty slightly. Beer was lighter tasting than it looked. I though the beer was kinda flat tasting also but might just have been this bottle. Even though I did not give this beer a high rating, I believe I will try it again just to see.

St. Nikolaus Bock Bier from Pennsylvania Brewing Company