Join our email list →

Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Hefeweizen | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 03-06-2002

Authentic wheat beer, brewed in the Southern German tradition, won the Silver Medal in 1997 and the Gold Medal at the 2000 in Denver, Colorado. Penn Weizen is top-fermented, cask-conditioned, and very effervescent with a slight hint of tangy clove flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Penn Weizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I live in Pittsburgh but travel to Germany quite often and have had the opportunity to compare Penn Brewery's Weizen Beer with some of the great German and Belgium Wheat Beers.
Penn Brewery's Weizen is as good as some of the best German Wheat Beers, and better than many others.
I enjoy the slight taste of fruit and spice in wheat beer but it can easily become overpowering. They seem to have got it just right.
It's also one of the few beers that taste nearly as good from the bottle as from the tap.

4.74/5  rDev +22.2%

I was able to sample this brew at the Charleston BA Meeting May 2008. I am a huge fan of this style and have tried literally hundreds of Hefes. I have yet to try an outstanding American take until now.

A. Hazy (hefe of course) yellow brew with a nice lacy white head.

S. Outstanding. This is a definite classic. Clove, banana and fruity overtones.

T. As good as it smells. Very strong banana clove taste. If you ever want to demonstrate a Hefe to a newbie, this is a bold example.

M. Somewhat creamy and well carbonated.

D. This is a great session beer if you can get it!

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

Was still enjoying the Pens game at this time and sampling an assorment of Wheats.

A: A cloudy golden/yellow color. A minimal amount of foam. Can see the carbonation.

S: Lots of clove smell, bananas and some other tropical fruit and citrus.

T: A good combination of spicy flavor and bananas. Also some hints of citrus. The wheat, spice and bananas are blended well from beginning till end.

M: A very refreshinging, light, and very creamy feel in the mouth. Maybe a tad too creamy for my liking.

D: A good beer to drink while enjoying the minimal Pittsburgh sunshine. One of my favorite beers of all-time.

4.79/5  rDev +23.5%

Thanks to Paulys55, I finally get to try a bunch of traditional German-style beers brewed in Pennsylvania. This was the second one of them I cracked open (after Stoudt's Heifer-in-Wheat).

Appearance: Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into my half-liter generic weissbier glass, Penn Weizen honestly doesn't look perfect. Hefeweizens can range in color from a muddy, almost green-tinged yellow to a bright, effervescent orange, and this one leans slightly toward the green-tinged end of the spectrum. Still, the old "weizen pour" produces a typically impressive three- to four-finger head, with moderate retention throughout drinking.

Smell: Very nice overall, if not absolutely flawless. The first thing that hits me is a sour-ish wheaty twang, which initially is a bit off-putting. Shortly thereafter, I get the usual complement of hefeweizen aromas: sweet banana, clove, yeasty bread, and a vague whiff of vanilla.

Taste: I'm very pleasantly shocked -- flavor-wise, this stuff is up there with the finest hefeweizens I've ever had, from both sides of the pond! Penn Weizen delivers everything presaged by its nose, but that wheaty "funk" is way in the background, while the vanilla is almost as prominent as the cloves. Oh, man, this is good stuff!

Mouthfeel: Plays perfectly with the flavor -- copious effervescence helps to fill the mouth and elevate the beer's inherent wholesome sweetness. That, combined with a typical-for-weizens low serving temperature, makes this a short-lived glass of beer -- it invites you to guzzle it down.

Overall: Although the appearance isn't stellar, and the nose highlights the beer's least pleasant flavor component, everything else about Penn Weizen absolutely sings. While not QUITE as flawless as Live Oak Hefeweizen, I wouldn't hesitate to pit those two beers against one another, particularly if both were served fresh and on tap. Penn Weizen is highly recommended to all fans of wheat beer...and, really, to anybody who "gets" hefeweizens in general!

Note: Before trying this beer, I had heard from a number of people that Penn's quality had drastically declined since they changed ownership sometime fairly recently. To tell you the truth, I had no idea such a change had taken place...this is the first time I've ever had a Penn beer.

With that in mind, if this is a noticeable step DOWN from what the beer used to be, then it must have been one of the greatest hefeweizens in the world prior to that widely perceived decline in quality. If anybody out there reads this and can speak to that objectively (i.e., is this beer truly any worse than it was a couple of years ago?), please drop me a Beer Mail!

4.82/5  rDev +24.2%

poured a cloudy amber color with modest white head that quickly dissapeared. Smell is magnificent. The mixture of cloves, spices and corriander is perfect.The taste is even better than I expected. This has to be the perfect hefe weizen taste sensation. The taste it leaves in the mouth is so enjoyable as to be unbelieveable. Sio easy to drink I'd be afraid to leave it in the house because I would never want to drink anyhting else. This is as close to the perfect beer I've ever tasted. Words can not describe it.

4.84/5  rDev +24.7%

A - Pours a cloudy golden color, slightly orange.

S - Very pleasant aroma, slight citrus smell, hint of banana. One of the best smelling Hefeweizen ales I have enjoyed.

T - Hints of citrus with a pleasant bananna bread & clove flavor. Has a well balanced taste.

M - Goes down quick, fairly light, leaves some carbonation behind for a tingly feeling.

D - Light, smooth, very drinkable. A very well balanced ale, with an exceptional flavor and aroma. This has got to be one of my all time favorite ales. One of the best I have ever tasted!

Serving type: bottle (poured into glass)

4.87/5  rDev +25.5%

This may be my all-time favorite beer (I couldn't believe I hadn't reviewed it yet!). It pours with a wonderful haed, has a beautiful aroma of malt and vanilla, with a crisp, malty taste that reveals quite a lot of yeast character as well. This beer works after you've cut the grass or as a nice summer evening beer. I still drink some now and then in the winter when I find them. Older beers are a little more well rounded without the crispness and a more subdued aroma, but it keeps very well. With 90% of Penn's sales inside of PA, I suspect not many get to try these beers. If you see them, grab 'em. The owner brews beers that remind him of his years in Germany, and seems to do them very, very well.

4.9/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tall glass.
A: Fantastic, pours nice and cloudy as the filmy layer of yeast sediment at the bottom is disturbed.
S: Bananas, cloves, candy, fills your nose with cloves and wheaty goodness.
T: FANTASTIC. This is my favorite hefe. Lots of banana, cloves, with a puckering sour wheat finish. This is the real deal folks.
M: Slick and crisp with good carbonation.
D: I could drink this stuff all night (and sometimes do). A delicious and authentic representation of the style from a local brewer. As I love this style, I also declare this to be my favorite beer of all time. Life is good...

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

Very cloudy white-ish gold color with a nice off-white head, decent carbonation, and lace. Excellent banana-clove aroma. Perfect banana-clove balanced flavor with a nice grainy background. Good fluffy refreshing mouthfeel.

Awesome American version of the Bavarian classic !!

Per label: "Hallertau Hops"

Per PBCo. website: Original Gravity: 12.6°Plato, Alcohol Content: 4.0% by weight.

Won Silver at 1997 GABF and Gold at 2000 GABF.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last