Penn Weizen - Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: SheepNutz on 03-06-2002

Authentic wheat beer, brewed in the Southern German tradition, won the Silver Medal in 1997 and the Gold Medal at the 2000 in Denver, Colorado. Penn Weizen is top-fermented, cask-conditioned, and very effervescent with a slight hint of tangy clove flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Penn Weizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
4.84/5  rDev +23.8%

A - Pours a cloudy golden color, slightly orange.

S - Very pleasant aroma, slight citrus smell, hint of banana. One of the best smelling Hefeweizen ales I have enjoyed.

T - Hints of citrus with a pleasant bananna bread & clove flavor. Has a well balanced taste.

M - Goes down quick, fairly light, leaves some carbonation behind for a tingly feeling.

D - Light, smooth, very drinkable. A very well balanced ale, with an exceptional flavor and aroma. This has got to be one of my all time favorite ales. One of the best I have ever tasted!

Serving type: bottle (poured into glass) (584 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I live in Pittsburgh but travel to Germany quite often and have had the opportunity to compare Penn Brewery's Weizen Beer with some of the great German and Belgium Wheat Beers.
Penn Brewery's Weizen is as good as some of the best German Wheat Beers, and better than many others.
I enjoy the slight taste of fruit and spice in wheat beer but it can easily become overpowering. They seem to have got it just right.
It's also one of the few beers that taste nearly as good from the bottle as from the tap. (502 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22%

Beer pours a slightly cloudy yellow but not as cloudy as I would expect from Hefe....even when I get all the yeast out of the bottle. Large head as expected for a beer this carbonated.

Beer smells of citrus but I don't get much clove or banana smell.

The beer doesn't taste much like many Hefe's I've tried. There was no banana taste which I enjoy and was expecting. There was some pepper flavor but there is a sourness throughout which was unenjoyable. I purchased an entire case of this and am quite dissappointed. I thought I purchased a bad case in Lancaster, PA but I then purchased a single from a six pack shop in York and got a similar sour taste. If this beer can't travel across the state there is something wrong.

Mouthfeel was excellent with the perfect amount of carbonation for the style.

This beer would be very drinkable if it wasn't for the sour taste. With the sourness however I would say this is average. I'm not sure if this beer tastes better on draft but from a bottle I've had better. (1,020 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

A- Cloudy, and a nice rich gold color

S-Bananas, Clove,( thats all I could get, recovering from a cloged nose)

T- Bananas, pears, a good sweetness, and a nice clove flavor to smack you're tougne at the end

M- Smooth, silky, and rich

D- very good, def. drink a 12 pack of this (279 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%

On tab at the brewery.
Classic cloudy straw in color with a thick persistent head. Excellent aromoa banana forward with nice clove. No sulfur aroma.
Low bitterness barely noticeable behind the hints of citrus. Yeast flavors predominate but the breadiness lingers on the tongue fading to clove.
Medium bodied but with surprising drinkability.

Can't wait to try their weizenbock in the works! (391 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Once again I can not praise the brewers at Penn enough. This beer is the height of their mastery of brewing. If any of you have homebrewed a hefeweizen before then you must certainly know how difficult it is to master the balance and subtle flavor of this beer. There is also lots of patience in conditioning involved. These guys do it in the most traditional of ways just like in bavaria. With that said, if you've never tried this beer and are a fan of german wheat...it is an absolute must.

A-Cloudy straw color with a tinge of orange. Typical hefe look with a nice frothy head.

S- This is where it gets good, big clove and banana esters right away...but not overpowering. The balance between the two is just right for the style.

T- Great balance of malty and fruity character with just enough of an acidic zest to quench your thirst and keep you wanting for another gulp...not sip! haha

M- Light body but just enough so that its not too thin and super drinkable. The zesty quality makes it very refreshing on a warm evening.

Overall: If you are a fan of the german style beers, there is nobody in america that does it better than Penn Brewing, in my opinion, and this beer is on the top of their list if you had only one to choose. (1,241 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

An absolute treat from beginning to end. I was at the pub monday night and the first one was so good I had to have three. Poured as well as any hefeweizen could be poured. Thick , white head lasted throughout. Heavy on the clove in both aroma and flavor, which is exactly what I prefer. Not very often that I latch onto a beer like I did with this. Great finish with a nicely balanced character all around. (406 characters)

Overall, I'm very impressed by my fellow Pennsylvania brewers and I place Pennyslvania Brewing Company among my favorites. Leading the pack of fine beers that I've tasted so far from Pennsylvania Brewing Company is their Penn Weizen. This is a classic hefeweizen true to style and tradition sporting everything you expect from a finely crafted hefe. I found this glass of Penn Weizen, and subsequent glasses, difficult to put down because after each swallow, I was too impatient to wait for the next taste.

Cloudy as it should be and the yeast characters are just in there injecting the fruity esters and tangy bite to support the crisp, refreshing maltiness. Lovely, sweet complexity throughout the glass.

I've had this beer both on tap and poured from a bottle and the tap experience is noticeably better. However, I'm a fan of this beer regardless of the packaging. (871 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -44.8%

Bought this at Vintage Cellar expecting a decent beer, but I was unimpressed, I'm normally a fan of hefes.

A - yellow-orange, pours with very little head, no lacing

S - not strong, small hint of orange, not great overall

T -tasted more of clove and orange than clove and banana, the clove seemed heavy, poor aftertaste

M - light body, heavy carb

D -wouldn't recommend, won't try again (389 characters)

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last