Nut Roll Ale - Pennsylvania Brewing Company

good

Pennsylvania Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: hustlesworth on 11-21-2011)

ScottyDuzntNo, May 14, 2013

Freggs, Nov 03, 2012

JayKay412, Dec 31, 2012

chrishensley, Nov 07, 2013
4.24/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now, as much as I would like to give the previous reviewer credit for providing this to me, my local in-person trader, tone77 was not a part of the process. Instead, it came from my neighbor's singles cooler and once more, I had to wait for the picture to be approved before popping the cap. Out of season?!? Well, which season is it now? It sure as s**t does not feel like Spring!

From the bottle: "Winter Ale"; "Nut Brown Ale Malt Beverage with Natural Flavors Added"; "Contains No Nuts".

No nuts?!? What?!? I feel like a nut right about now! I will never forget the spirited debate in class many years ago over crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter. Finally, one student blurted out, "For me, it's gotta be crunchy! I love the feel of nuts in my mouth!" I had to leave the room as educators are NOT supposed to laugh at anything students say. The room erupted at that point.

My pour resulted in a finger of thick, light-brown head with good retention. Color was a deep-brown with seemingly good clarity given the low level of light penetration that I was able to generate. I REALLY need an SRM chart if anyone has an extra! Nose was characteristically sugary sweet as befits the style, but with a slight grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium but the sweetness was cut with a cinnamon spiciness. Would they have spiced this beer for the holidays? If so, high kudos! Loads of sticky lacing began to appear as I drank through it. Finish was slightly spicy with a definite cinnamon stick flavor. How brilliant is that? I have always liked their St. Nicklaus Bock in the Winter, but this would be great with the Old Lady by the fire.

woodychandler, May 25, 2013

RVigz, Jan 22, 2014

hollywood_15063, Nov 17, 2012

JulianBaughman, Dec 11, 2012
3.91/5  rDev +10.1%

Really nice brown ale here. Vanilla, cocoa, and toasted almond wrapped in a blanket sprinkled with brown sugar. Mouthfeel is substantial for a beer of this ABV. Will revisit...

beerdedking, Monday at 02:02 AM
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

First year for this winter seasonal. Penn Nut Roll Ale. Got 'er in a pint glass.

Translucent mahogany brown color. Couldn't get much head off the pour, so a linger of foam sits on the surface.

Smells of sweet roast and spices. A little nutty, like a poppyseed roll. Caramelized sugar, like baklava, with that candied nut smell wafting. Malty and very sweet in the nose for a brown ale.

Very nice! Hearty sweet flavors of candied walnut, brown sugar, graham cracker crust, molasses, and delectable sweet English malts. A little bit of chocolate and hazelnut liqueur. This is what I'm looking for in a winter brown ale.

Drinks a little choppy with some side-cheek carbonation bristling effect. Subtly warming with gentle festive spice.

I always get my fair share of St. Nick Bock, but I like having this second option this time of year. Recommended.

thecheapies, Dec 04, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bottle into goblet.

Appearance- Deep red in color, almost brown. Cream colored head that goes away as soon as you're down pouring.

Smell- I get sweet bread and nuts right away. Vanilla frosting and malty hops comes through. Really quite remarkable.

Taste- Tastes just like it smells. It is a mystery to me how Penn Brewing can make a beer taste just like a holiday dessert.

Mouthfeel- My bottle was very flat. It had almost no carbonation at all. Thin and without much body.

Overall- A great beer to try once a year. I am still in amazement at how this beer taste just like a nut roll.

frenchblood21, Jan 20, 2012