Nut Roll Ale - Pennsylvania Brewing Company

good

Pennsylvania Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hustlesworth on 11-21-2011)

rypkr, Dec 06, 2013

Morey, Dec 02, 2013
2.41/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Normally I at least like stuff from Penn Brewery. Sometimes I love it - St. Nikalous Bock and Penn Gold, for example. Nut Roll Ale was an unpleasant surprise.

A - Nice brown color but almost no head from a rough pour. What little foam there was disappeared quickly.

S - Vanilla, sweet fruit, and a bit of dark malts. Didn't get any of the "nutty aroma" advertised on the bottle.

T - Tastes like it smells, but in a bad way. Nowhere near enough hops to balance the sweetness. The vanilla, even though I don't think it's artificially flavored, it tastes kinda artificial with a chemically/medicinal note on the finish that is just off.

M - Body is decent but the carbonation was prickly in a soda pop kinda way.

O - With so many great winter and holiday beers out there, this one is absolutely not worth trying. Avoid it.

CheapHysterics, Nov 18, 2013

chrishensley, Nov 07, 2013

InspectorBob, Aug 11, 2013

WVbeergeek, Aug 04, 2013

DeutschesBier, Jun 07, 2013
4.24/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now, as much as I would like to give the previous reviewer credit for providing this to me, my local in-person trader, tone77 was not a part of the process. Instead, it came from my neighbor's singles cooler and once more, I had to wait for the picture to be approved before popping the cap. Out of season?!? Well, which season is it now? It sure as s**t does not feel like Spring!

From the bottle: "Winter Ale"; "Nut Brown Ale Malt Beverage with Natural Flavors Added"; "Contains No Nuts".

No nuts?!? What?!? I feel like a nut right about now! I will never forget the spirited debate in class many years ago over crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter. Finally, one student blurted out, "For me, it's gotta be crunchy! I love the feel of nuts in my mouth!" I had to leave the room as educators are NOT supposed to laugh at anything students say. The room erupted at that point.

My pour resulted in a finger of thick, light-brown head with good retention. Color was a deep-brown with seemingly good clarity given the low level of light penetration that I was able to generate. I REALLY need an SRM chart if anyone has an extra! Nose was characteristically sugary sweet as befits the style, but with a slight grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium but the sweetness was cut with a cinnamon spiciness. Would they have spiced this beer for the holidays? If so, high kudos! Loads of sticky lacing began to appear as I drank through it. Finish was slightly spicy with a definite cinnamon stick flavor. How brilliant is that? I have always liked their St. Nicklaus Bock in the Winter, but this would be great with the Old Lady by the fire.

woodychandler, May 25, 2013

ScottyDuzntNo, May 14, 2013

HollyHops, May 07, 2013
3.48/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some spices. Taste is spices, mainly cinnamon, some nuttiness, not bad, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a decent and unique beer.

tone77, May 04, 2013

Adkins1203, Feb 27, 2013

brendaniel, Feb 27, 2013

randylangford, Feb 14, 2013
3.16/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

tap

Pours a mostly hazy dark brown, minimal head.

Hints of clove and brown sugar in the nose with some mild bitterness.

Bland taste, flat caramel malts and not much else.

Medium body with minimal carbonation.

An otherwise appealing offering that falls short in the single most important area: taste. I like the idea of this beer and hope they try it again, but I'd be lying if I said this year's version was worth having, or at least this particular batch.

Cylinsier, Feb 02, 2013

1.48/5  rDev -58%

A- who cares?

S- weak musky

T- Terrible!!!

M- Cant focus on this due to the horrid taste

O- Could only bring myself to sip twice. Never again!! Good thing I have this Reuben and potato salad to mask what I just tasted! I predict tis keg will take a long time to kick, and wont come from people requesting seconds.

SNUZ, Jan 18, 2013