Pig's Ear Brown Ale - Woodstock Inn Brewery

Woodstock Inn Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.30% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 09-02-2002

Medium bodied with a balance of roasted and crystal malts creating a hearty nutty flavor. Medium bitterness with a slightly sweet finish.

to view more.
Ratings: 356 | Reviews: 128
3.83/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Smells like baked beans in a glass!

4.46/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap. 2nd favorite brew from this establishment. Pours brown with a tan clingy head. All malt and caramel in the nose. Flavors are the same – sweet, smooth malty goodness with a characteristic common to most of their brews that (others have noted maple) really works for me. Finish leaves me wanting more. This is what I pick for a growler to go.

Had in st j vt

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

carbonation distracts from the malts, but room temperature brings out some nice dark flavors; the sweet finish is also compromised by the carbonation; still tasty and could grow on a person

Overly carbonated with a very dry finish

3.81/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Dark amber body with three fingers of off-white head. Retention isn't the best but leaves nice foamy lacing.

S - Nutty, caramel, cherry and spices.

T - Tangier than I expected. The aroma was much darker than the flavors. Slight citrus hop, followed by strong astringent fruitiness.

M - Medium body with moderate/high carbonation. Somewhat thin and bordering on soda-like.

O - I really enjoyed this. It is a bit lighter than I tend to prefer but it's very drinkable. Definitely a good barbecue beer.

3.74/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a mug. The beer pours a clear brown hue with a little bit of mahogany color on the edges when held up to the light.
There is a tightly packed fizzy beige head of 1.5 cm that foams up and fades very slowly to a wispy surface layer that remains through the sampling.
Caramel and toffee malt with a little sweet chocolate mixed in on the nose. A little brown sugar too, no hops to be found anywhere.
First sip reveals an average body with average carbonation that tingles on my palate on each sip.
Flavor is what the nose advertises with a heavy malt profile with chocolate and brown sugar dominant and just a little earthy hop presence on the finish. This leaves just a bit of a bitterness on the end of each swallow.
A little dryness on my palate that encourages me to take another sip.
This is a nice easy clean drinkable brown ale, very easy to drink and interesting flavor, the lower alcohol makes this a very nice session beer.

3.79/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured an off white head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper brown color with a little clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Toasted, bready, nutty, grassy, and a little caramel.

Taste: Nice toasted malt flavor, bready, nutty, a little chocolate, molasses, caramel, and grassy malt bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, chewy, medium bodied, mild bitterness, and medium carbonation.

Overall: I have enjoyed this a lot over the years and I had forgot how could it tasted. I'll have it more often.

4.24/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this at Canoe near Meredith NH, and liked it enough to buy a 12 mixed pack at the grocery store. Having it at home has given me a new appreciation. I poured it into a brandy glass. Yes, a brandy glass. I grabbed it quickly without realizing it - thank god we have glassware for a liquor we have never had in the house.
Pours a very dark color with a lost lasting lace. The smell is hard to detect because it is in this stupid brandy glass which I will be donating after this. I hope poor people like brandy.
The smell though is malty and yeasty - very rich flavor. Goes down so well - this is an extremely good beer. Tastes almost like a Belgium - very fruity with a crisp maltiness. This is a great beer, particularly for the cost.
I like the light-hearted logos on the bottles - some of the breweries these days have logos that belong more on a Metallica shirt.
Nice work on this beer.

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was my go-to quality beer before I really got into craft in May 2013. I had bought a twelvepack of it in New Hampshire and savored three quarters of that before getting into other craft tastings. The bottle I had tonight was one of the remaining three, which have been kept cellared at about 55 degrees all year. I finally cracked this one to see how it stacked up now after all the hundreds of different brews I've tried since it was my fave, including more than a half dozen other browns. My May review had rated it super high, and I wanted to see if I would still rate it 4.73. So...here's my re-review.

Best Enjoyed before 1/13. Oops, this came from a twelvepack I purchased in early 2013, and apparently it was already past its prime.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith English tulip pint.

a: Clear dark ruby, an inch and a half tall offwhite head receded to even surface foam and fairly dense lacing.

s: Pretty intense caramel malt.

t: Caramel malt with some hop bite for balance. Aftertaste is sweet caramel malt.

m: Medium with good body.

o: Still lovin' this one after all this year. Tops on my brown ale list. Not as hoppy as most American versions, which I also like, but this one has the sweet flavor that makes you warm inside. Very easy drinking and serves well as either an accompaniment to a good meal or a sipping session brew.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM 5/29/13: After having a Dogfish Indian Brown Ale earlier this evening, and finding it tasted very Porterish, I went back to this one I've loved since I had my first on draft at a Turkish restaurant in Manchester NH in May 2012. I wanted to see if I could still taste a difference,.

a. 4.75 Poured into a tulip glass. Translucent dark ruby-red all the way through. Lighter and more transparent than the aforementioned (and higher priced) competition. Appealing! Whiter head of about the same quarter inch height as Dogfish's. More lacing too.

s. 4.75 Just wonderful! Sweet as a brown ale should be.

t. 4.75 Tastes stronger than 4.3 abv. For me that's good. I like beer that tastes like beer and lets you know it's not a soft drink. OTOH at 4.3% a definite session choice.

m. 4.5 smooth and fine.

o. 4.75 I may be prejudiced by this time because this is about the 22nd bottle I have had since a year ago May. I try to stop and get a twelver every time I go up to NH, but it is not always available at the little gem of a Brookline convenience/Subway store I stop at, the back half of which is all micros on racks.

This is my favorite brown ale. I hope I can get up to Lincoln for the beer fest at the end of June and pick up some more Pig's Ear! So if you go, leave a few behind please!

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Pours a mahogany brown color…a dense color, I can see a few bubbles hugging the glass…head is light khaki and remains a thin, wispy layer on top, but does perk up with a couple of swirls…(3.5/5)

Smell: Nutty brown malts, English musky yeast and a light oatmeal up front…very malt heavy, but its nice…I’m also picking up some more graininess and just a hint of like dark cherry cake, it’s kinda doughy…it’s not a robust smell, just very earthy, rich and malty…nice…(4/5)

Taste: Yum! Straight earthy, nutty brown malts mixed with a flavorful (English I presume) yeast strain that combines making a tasty beverage…there’s a mild dark cherry sweetness that springs this somewhat tame brown ale into life…there’s a mild roasted flavor, but it’s certainly not overdone…the more I drink, I get the slightest hint of light lemony/grassy hops bitterness…very subtle though…this thing is simple, but very tasty…(4/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body…there’s medium carbonation that fluffs up brings rich brown, mildly sweet malts to the palate…a very clean brown ale, nothing heavy about this…maltiness lingers into the after taste…(3.75/5)

Overall: Browns aren’t always my favorite, but I’m really digging this one…really a perfect brown ale for the summer, flavorful, light and a bit lower in ABV…this is my first time having this brew and I have to say I’m impressed…well worth a six pack pickup…this brew would fit well with an afternoon of drinking on a Memorial Day Sunday…cheers to that! (4/5)

www.brewreport.blogspot.com

2.79/5  rDev -22.1%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown with a thin beige head.

Smell: Almost no smell to it. Very faint nutty notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Nutty taste, with a hint of hops.

Overall: OK beer. Not my first pick, but credit is due for thosr that might be more into the browns than me.

3.47/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Brown with red tints. Typical brown ale.

S- Malts, toffee, dare I say honey?

T- This tastes best ice cold! When real cold, it has the malty, toffee taste. Lightly bitter. Finish is slightly on the bitter side, but is a quick finish.

M- Light to medium, more towards the medium side. Heavier than Newcastle. thought, but still easy to drink. Very effervescent.

This is just a solid brown ale. It's obviously no where near Rouge's Hazelnut Bron Nectar, but still a very enjoyable brew. Supper cheap in the New England area. I'd recommend it anyone that lives in New England for sure! Nothing about the Pig's Ear Brown is real off-putting.

3.98/5  rDev +11.2%

My local sharer (we don't trade so much as swap or share our extras), Sam Knocken, provided this to me from his Beer of the Month Club take.

Can you make a brown ale from a pig's ear? I have heard that a silk purse is out of the question, but perhaps anything is possible.

My pour got me a finger of fizzy, light-brown head with moderate retention. Color was a deep brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose was quite malty, reminiscent of something that eluded me, but perhaps it will come. Did I sense a slight buttery quality? I usually have a blind spot when it comes to diacetyl, so I may be mistaken. Plus, I really do not mind such a flavor. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was much more chocolaty than I had experienced on the nose. It had a powdery taste, like Hershey's Cocoa Powder right out of the tin and into the mouth. Do they even make that any more? I knew precisely where it was stored in my maternal grandmother's house and used to love it straight as a child. I sprinkled it on peanut butter to make a phenomenal sandwich. That's what the nose reminded me of - Ovaltine! Great Gar, but this beer really takes me back. I saw where Newcastle Brown is the standard bearer for the style, but this is drier than that. The finish was semi-sweet with the yeast having converted most of the fermentable sugar to alcohol. I was very impressed by this little piggy.

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%

This may be my favorite brown ale. Poured a 2" beige head with long life. The body is a deep burnt umber brown and held to the light it's a clear lively maroon. Nice light smell of roasted malt. Taste matches the smell, richer than I expected, buttery and with some bitter hops coming through. Finish us a little sweet.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark clear reddish brown color with a huge bubbly tan head that slowly recedes before leaving some spotty lace on the way down. Smells of caramel and brown sugar with a hint of tart fruit, earth, roast and butter. The flavor is heavy on the caramel and butterscotch with an earthy hop bite that provides some balance. Medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a creamy bubbly mouthfeel. So far this is the only brew I've had where I feel the diacytyl actually adds something to the beer. This is probably my favorite beer from Woodstock, but its still just an average beer.

3.69/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. The color is dark amber/brown. There is a nice light tan head.

The aroma is very malty with brown sugar, caramel, and molasses. Yum!

The taste is slightly bitter with most of the emphasis on the chocolate malts. Pretty good flavor, but doesn't quite meet the expectations the aroma set.

This is medium bodied with crisp carbonation. I would get this again for sure.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

Tap at texas bbq
Light fizzy head over nice clear dark toasty brown color.

Nose has a clear ale aroma, malty, toasty brown malts, light caramel, hint of brown sugar and molasses and even dusting of maple, light grassy earthy hops.

Taste comes with nice malts again, clean ale flavor, toasty brown malts, fairly nutty, light brown sugar, hints of molasses and caramel, little syrupy. Then hops, a decent but fairly light bitterness with slight earthy and a bit herbal hop with a light grassy taste, somewhat like a UK style hop, that kicks in with a nice bitter bite midway thorough. Finish is slightly sticky but fairly dry, bit of lingering bitterness, some light toasty brown malts and caramel lingering.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall its a nice beer, all around style, nice malts, decent hops with a nice bitter kick, very drinkable. Perfect beer for almost any weather, and always a good beer to grab a pint of at a bar.

3.42/5  rDev -4.5%

A: pours a medium brown with a light tan head of medium sized bubbles

S: aroma of nutty twang and medium roast malts. Definite english malt presence mixing with sweet malts

T: this was a very nutty and lightly bittered brown ale. Middle of the road to lower road in taste but i have a hard time Passing up a brown ale that i have not had before. Overall i thought this could do better but definitely not a bad beer by any chance.

M: light body and high carbonation

O: overall not bad would drink again but there Are better brown ales out there.

3.58/5  rDev 0%

A-Pours brown of course. Nice darker head that maintains and laces well. Dark enough to have me guessing the transparency.

S-Aroma consists of chocolate, coffee, and plenty of nuts. Smells mild and tasty.

T-Like the nose. Quite nutty. Nuts are accentuated by the chocolate and roast. Not much hop. Sweet and nutty.

M-Light bodied and easy drinking. Very sessionable. Carbonation is between light and moderate. Good feel.

O/D-A nice little brown ale. Will not wow you, but I drank my glass very quickly. I love the nutty aspect of this brew. A decent sip.

3.83/5  rDev +7%

From the 12 fl.oz. bottle. Sampled on February 28, 2012. The pour is mahogany brown with a conspicuous amount of foamy, long lasting head. The aroma is subtle but it has a nutty malted quality as well as sweet. The body is smooth. The taste is higher on the bitterness than in the aroma with a sharp lingering hop note. This is one of those beers that I drink a lot and I am surprised that it took so long for me to review it.

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz into pint glass

A - translucent ruby-brown with a minuscule white head. Dissipates fast and poor lacing.

S - Nutty and sweet. Toasted oat-nut bread and caramelized sugar.

T - Taste follows the nose mostly, but with a little bit of grassy hop bitterness.

M - Medium in body and very easy to quaff. Sharp carbonation and a nice drier finish.

O - Overall this beer makes a great impression. It is flavorful and drinkable while being very low in alcohol content, allowing to you have pint after pint. One of the better beers in the 4.3% category I have had.

3.42/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from bottle into tulip. Best before June 2012 indiacted on bottle.
Pours a deep brown color with a red hue when held up to light. No head and very thin lacing.
Smells of english roasted malts with a hint of coffee.
Taste is very similar. Malted English style malts, a bit of caramel and smoky coffee notes.
Its very thin, but easy to drink.
Low ABV, as the style usually suggests, but wish it was more.
Overall, it is what it is..nothing spectacular here, but I have never had anything from Woodstock Inn. After having this, I wouldnt go out of my way for it...but would drink if someone handed it to me.
I bet this would go great with a nice burger.

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Dark chestnut colored body. Thin white head, with a look of creaminess in composition. Somewhat soapy hop aroma, which caught my attention in a bad way. Taste was on the good side though. Very malty, bready, and hearty. Very tiny bit of English hops in the background. Quite a smooth mouthfeel, which was the standout character of this beer. Low abv made this a very easy beer to drink. Pig's Ear is a no-nonsense brown ale that gives you what you want from a brown ale: flavor and drinkability.

3.8/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Ruby brown & garnet when backlit. Clear with a light tan okay size cap of foam. Okay for retention & lacing.

S: Nutty malts, a bit of caramelly sweetness, some fruit esters, & faint diacetyl. Hints of dark dark fruits. Not relly any hops. Diacetyl grows as warms. Reasonable strength overall and quite a bit going on.

T: Mare darkly sweet than nose – dark fruits, molasses, malt sweetness, and a balancing roast. The nutty malt backbone is rounded out by caramel & buttery dark toffee, fruit esters, background toasted grain, and a hint of chocolate. Drying roast increases at the end and into the finish. Herbal & slightly astringent hops in the end and finish as well.

M: Medium body with CO2 just the barest bit under average. Mostly sweet with a fair bit of chew for a smaller beer. Starts sweet but goes quite roasty and drying while the sweetness continues to fight and stick around.

D: A sweeter and darker brown. Nice, fairly character malt base with plentiful accent notes. Makes for a good, well-rounded, and flavorful brown. Good drinking especially on a fall day. Almost rich enough to have a holiday feel, but with an easy abv.

to view more.