Pig's Ear Brown Ale - Woodstock Inn Brewery

good

Woodstock Inn Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.30% ABV

Medium bodied with a balance of roasted and crystal malts creating a hearty nutty flavor. Medium bitterness with a slightly sweet finish.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 09-02-2002)

4.51/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This was my go-to quality beer before I really got into craft in May 2013. I had bought a twelvepack of it in New Hampshire and savored three quarters of that before getting into other craft tastings. The bottle I had tonight was one of the remaining three, which have been kept cellared at about 55 degrees all year. I finally cracked this one to see how it stacked up now after all the hundreds of different brews I've tried since it was my fave, including more than a half dozen other browns. My May review had rated it super high, and I wanted to see if I would still rate it 4.73. So...here's my re-review.

Best Enjoyed before 1/13. Oops, this came from a twelvepack I purchased in early 2013, and apparently it was already past its prime.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith English tulip pint.

a: Clear dark ruby, an inch and a half tall offwhite head receded to even surface foam and fairly dense lacing.

s: Pretty intense caramel malt.

t: Caramel malt with some hop bite for balance. Aftertaste is sweet caramel malt.

m: Medium with good body.

o: Still lovin' this one after all this year. Tops on my brown ale list. Not as hoppy as most American versions, which I also like, but this one has the sweet flavor that makes you warm inside. Very easy drinking and serves well as either an accompaniment to a good meal or a sipping session brew.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM 5/29/13: After having a Dogfish Indian Brown Ale earlier this evening, and finding it tasted very Porterish, I went back to this one I've loved since I had my first on draft at a Turkish restaurant in Manchester NH in May 2012. I wanted to see if I could still taste a difference,.

a. 4.75 Poured into a tulip glass. Translucent dark ruby-red all the way through. Lighter and more transparent than the aforementioned (and higher priced) competition. Appealing! Whiter head of about the same quarter inch height as Dogfish's. More lacing too.

s. 4.75 Just wonderful! Sweet as a brown ale should be.

t. 4.75 Tastes stronger than 4.3 abv. For me that's good. I like beer that tastes like beer and lets you know it's not a soft drink. OTOH at 4.3% a definite session choice.

m. 4.5 smooth and fine.

o. 4.75 I may be prejudiced by this time because this is about the 22nd bottle I have had since a year ago May. I try to stop and get a twelver every time I go up to NH, but it is not always available at the little gem of a Brookline convenience/Subway store I stop at, the back half of which is all micros on racks.

This is my favorite brown ale. I hope I can get up to Lincoln for the beer fest at the end of June and pick up some more Pig's Ear! So if you go, leave a few behind please!

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

Appearance - Pours a very dark brown with a foamy brown head that settles into a very thin layer. Very dark, but still see through.

Aroma - Malty with a hint of sweetness, very underlying chocolate. Doesn't give really a presence of a strong alcohol content, which this beer doesn't have. Nothing out of the ordinary for a Brown Ale.

Taste - Sweet full bodied taste, definite hint of dark chocolate. Really the only place where there's any bitterness. Creamy feel. Doesn't leave a lot to the imagination. Very solid beer that's extremely smooth. Very little aftertaste.

Mouth - Extremely creamy beer that leaves little to no strong overpowering aftertaste.

Drinkability - Can pound down a few of these in a single sitting. It's a full bodied beer that is not too filling. Had a few of these samples at the ACBF, one of my favorite Brown Ales.

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance a nice, mellow dark, brown-gold. Smell is well-rounded like smoky coffee. Based upon smell, I was expecting a stout-like mouthfeel, which was there, but with a lighter, easier to drink character. Mouthfeel was smooth with a very slight malty, smoky aftertaste. Had one with Italian food and it was an excellent complementt. Very drinkable. Got this six pack at market in town where it is brewed....next time will try on tap at the pub.

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

Think syrupy body with a slight nutty hint. NO dry effects on pallet. Color was a nice medium brown. No a lot of head though. Very pleasant and had me wanting a second helping. Anxious to try more from the folks at Woodstock Inn. I'm kind od a bock guy and I really enjoyed this. Worth a try. Bet it's better on tap too!

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

This is a beer that anytime I am in N.H. will order, especially on tap (don't poo-poo bottles though it will still impress). Like many nut browns of any worth, it has rich, nutty flavor and aroma to it. Though rich in texture good (smooth) and taste (lingers in a good way), it is a deceptively easy drinking beer that is great with a quality burger or steak. Woodstock Station has a number of quality brews, this one is the standard.

Unfortunately for me, it's not available in my area.... yet.

4.33/5  rDev +20.9%

Appearance: Brown, mostly clear with some slight murkiness.

Smell: Nutty and toasty - a bit like Newcastle without the sweet smell.

Taste: Nice, nice, nice. A classic brown ale, Americanized. Not bitter, not sweet.

Mouthfeel: Typicaly dry, moderate carbonation - a bit higher than the Brits would have.

Serving type: 64oz growler, and on tap at Woodstock Inn.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%