Pig's Ear Brown Ale - Woodstock Inn Brewery

good

Woodstock Inn Brewery visit their website
New Hampshire, United States

English Brown Ale |  4.30% ABV

Medium bodied with a balance of roasted and crystal malts creating a hearty nutty flavor. Medium bitterness with a slightly sweet finish.

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 09-02-2002)

beergeek2, Mar 02, 2014

gonzo000, Feb 17, 2014

Dizzy242, Feb 14, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

chefdave37, Feb 14, 2014

rjm0715, Feb 14, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +18.4%

I had this at Canoe near Meredith NH, and liked it enough to buy a 12 mixed pack at the grocery store. Having it at home has given me a new appreciation. I poured it into a brandy glass. Yes, a brandy glass. I grabbed it quickly without realizing it - thank god we have glassware for a liquor we have never had in the house.
Pours a very dark color with a lost lasting lace. The smell is hard to detect because it is in this stupid brandy glass which I will be donating after this. I hope poor people like brandy.
The smell though is malty and yeasty - very rich flavor. Goes down so well - this is an extremely good beer. Tastes almost like a Belgium - very fruity with a crisp maltiness. This is a great beer, particularly for the cost.
I like the light-hearted logos on the bottles - some of the breweries these days have logos that belong more on a Metallica shirt.
Nice work on this beer.

BradMacMullin, Feb 06, 2014

Danjal, Feb 04, 2014

ShepardCommander, Feb 01, 2014
4.51/5  rDev +26%

This was my go-to quality beer before I really got into craft in May 2013. I had bought a twelvepack of it in New Hampshire and savored three quarters of that before getting into other craft tastings. The bottle I had tonight was one of the remaining three, which have been kept cellared at about 55 degrees all year. I finally cracked this one to see how it stacked up now after all the hundreds of different brews I've tried since it was my fave, including more than a half dozen other browns. My May review had rated it super high, and I wanted to see if I would still rate it 4.73. So...here's my re-review.

Best Enjoyed before 1/13. Oops, this came from a twelvepack I purchased in early 2013, and apparently it was already past its prime.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Smith English tulip pint.

a: Clear dark ruby, an inch and a half tall offwhite head receded to even surface foam and fairly dense lacing.

s: Pretty intense caramel malt.

t: Caramel malt with some hop bite for balance. Aftertaste is sweet caramel malt.

m: Medium with good body.

o: Still lovin' this one after all this year. Tops on my brown ale list. Not as hoppy as most American versions, which I also like, but this one has the sweet flavor that makes you warm inside. Very easy drinking and serves well as either an accompaniment to a good meal or a sipping session brew.

ORIGINAL REVIEW FROM 5/29/13: After having a Dogfish Indian Brown Ale earlier this evening, and finding it tasted very Porterish, I went back to this one I've loved since I had my first on draft at a Turkish restaurant in Manchester NH in May 2012. I wanted to see if I could still taste a difference,.

a. 4.75 Poured into a tulip glass. Translucent dark ruby-red all the way through. Lighter and more transparent than the aforementioned (and higher priced) competition. Appealing! Whiter head of about the same quarter inch height as Dogfish's. More lacing too.

s. 4.75 Just wonderful! Sweet as a brown ale should be.

t. 4.75 Tastes stronger than 4.3 abv. For me that's good. I like beer that tastes like beer and lets you know it's not a soft drink. OTOH at 4.3% a definite session choice.

m. 4.5 smooth and fine.

o. 4.75 I may be prejudiced by this time because this is about the 22nd bottle I have had since a year ago May. I try to stop and get a twelver every time I go up to NH, but it is not always available at the little gem of a Brookline convenience/Subway store I stop at, the back half of which is all micros on racks.

This is my favorite brown ale. I hope I can get up to Lincoln for the beer fest at the end of June and pick up some more Pig's Ear! So if you go, leave a few behind please!

scotorum, Jan 31, 2014