Rise Of Mayan Dog - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Rise Of Mayan DogRise Of Mayan Dog

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SplashyFob on 01-04-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.49/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Rise Of Mayan Dog a couple weeks ago for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been trying more of these Mayan inspired stouts lately and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so let see how it goes. 2014 Vintage Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and a little cartoon like, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two and half fingers worth of slightly creamy light mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed til the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a noticeable honey like aroma and it's followed by the coffee which seems to stick out the most and it mixes with some chocolate aroma to make for a mocha like aroma. Up next comes some malt that imparts a roasted malt aroma along with a light dark fruit like aroma and there's a slight spice aroma towards the end. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the different aspects blended together a little better.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that has a very light honey aspect to it and it's followed by the same coffee and chocolate that I got in the aroma, but this time they are both lighter and they make for a lighter mocha like flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart a roasted malt, slightly grainy, and very light dark fruit flavors with some noticeable ale yeast flavors. On the finish there's lower amount of bitterness with a slightly grainy, roasted malt, slight coffee and chocolate like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the mocha aspect was as bold as it was in the aroma and that some spices showed up.

M- Smooth, clean, slightly watery, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I could do without the slight watery aspect.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of a stout, but as far as these mayan themed beers goes, this one was a little below par, the spices didn't really show up in the flavor and the chocolate aspect was just ok. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, slightly watery, a little crisp, not filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me and I'm ready to move on to something else. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, this was a very nice looking beer and to me it was the best aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and that it really wasn't as true to it's name as I would like, I wish the spices were more noticeable. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I think it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it just didn't have anything that made it stick it out or memorable and when it comes to mayan style stouts, I would choose an Oddsides Mayan Mocha Stout over this beer every time. It's not a favorite Thirsty Dog beer and it's up there as one of my least favorite Mayan style Stouts. I appreciate the effort, but this one needs some work, better luck next time guys.

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours nearly jet black except for just a tinge of ruby when held in the light,a deep beige half finger head atop.Love the complexity of the aromas,milk chocolate,roasted nuts,bakers spice,french roast coffee,and some mild honey funk,smells like dessert and coffee.Somewhat sweet on the palate with honey and chocolate dominating at the onset with some nice roast to dry it out enough,as I drank more some alcohol induced sweetness came into play.What a cool beer with alot going on,again like a chocolate dessert laced with honey and coffee together in liquid form.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

4.53/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rare release draft only saw it's way into a four pack I see, I'll take some of those...Pours a pitch black color with mocha tan head fades slowly and evenly spread in the lacing department. Aroma dark astringent coffee roasts, beautiful nose in if you like coffee. Evidently I do my nose keeps dipping into the actual beer, that's how much I like nutty edged coffee and dark chocolate in beer...edit my last comment, after reading the label there are no coffee beans harmed in the brewing of this beer just honey and cacao (cocoa nibs). Either way I'm amped on the pseudo caffeine buzz I'm about to catch from drinking this stuff! Earthy, leather in the nose makes you want to cut it with a knife, big dark chocolate notes and no real honey tones because it's all been fermented out maybe a bit of perceived sweetness but no actual honey explosions happening here. Between this beer, Citra Dog, Wulver, and Siberian Night Bourbon Barreled I'm in heat for Thirsty Dog...what can I say their beers are getting better every day I may have to revisit some of the other offerings out there.

3.13/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle served in a snifter.
Pours an opaque yet clear red-brown at the edges. Small tan head soon reduces to a partial thin coat.

S: Moderately strong, with notes of coffee and roasted grains. Too vegetal.

T: better, with more coffee and dark roasted malts to which chocolate is added. Still a bit vegetal (think well cooked, bitter greens). Lightly sweet with just a hint of spice.

M: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: Rich and moderately complex flavors/aromas are, unfortunately, too vegetal and not very enticing.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +5%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

4.04/5  rDev +7.2%

3.89/5  rDev +3.2%

Excellent stout from Thirsty Dog. Poured motor oil black with a thin tan head that remains on the brew. Smells of chocolate, coffee, and honey (!) the honey amazingly comes through on the nose. I am stunned at the taste of this beast; sweet honey, chocolate, and coffee up front and on the back with a bitter chocolate aftertaste that really plays nicely with the coffee and honey, which itself is not so pronounced that it is super sweet like a milk stout. Lingering coating aftertaste with a great mouthfeel that is light yet satisfying for a stout, good carbonation lends itself well to this brew. Would love to have this one on tap. A new favorite MINUS the price per four pack. YOW!

Rise Of Mayan Dog from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company