Rise Of Mayan Dog - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Rise Of Mayan DogRise Of Mayan Dog

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: SplashyFob on 01-04-2014)
2.25/5  rDev -40.2%

BogAl, Jun 13, 2014

ohiobeer29, Jun 19, 2014

masterofsparks, Sep 01, 2014

fullmoonbeer, Jul 16, 2014

osuskin, Mar 02, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

12 oz bottle served in a snifter.
Pours an opaque yet clear red-brown at the edges. Small tan head soon reduces to a partial thin coat.

S: Moderately strong, with notes of coffee and roasted grains. Too vegetal.

T: better, with more coffee and dark roasted malts to which chocolate is added. Still a bit vegetal (think well cooked, bitter greens). Lightly sweet with just a hint of spice.

M: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: Rich and moderately complex flavors/aromas are, unfortunately, too vegetal and not very enticing.

chinchill, Apr 02, 2014

DanGeo, Apr 23, 2014

marmstrong1212, Apr 15, 2014

BigJim5021, Mar 24, 2014

Auslander, Jun 03, 2014

JimmyVortex, Jun 14, 2014

Sturmthis, Jan 04, 2014
3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured into a pint glass at around 45 degrees. Black as a banker's soul, with a strong head. Very little nose. Tastes almost like dark chocolate on the finish, but very little sweetness for a beer with "honey" written on it. I will say that it was almost like a cross between a dry stout and Mexican hot chocolate.

charyma, Mar 15, 2014
3.49/5  rDev -7.2%

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Rise Of Mayan Dog a couple weeks ago for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been trying more of these Mayan inspired stouts lately and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so let see how it goes. 2014 Vintage Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and a little cartoon like, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two and half fingers worth of slightly creamy light mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed til the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a noticeable honey like aroma and it's followed by the coffee which seems to stick out the most and it mixes with some chocolate aroma to make for a mocha like aroma. Up next comes some malt that imparts a roasted malt aroma along with a light dark fruit like aroma and there's a slight spice aroma towards the end. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the different aspects blended together a little better.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that has a very light honey aspect to it and it's followed by the same coffee and chocolate that I got in the aroma, but this time they are both lighter and they make for a lighter mocha like flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart a roasted malt, slightly grainy, and very light dark fruit flavors with some noticeable ale yeast flavors. On the finish there's lower amount of bitterness with a slightly grainy, roasted malt, slight coffee and chocolate like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the mocha aspect was as bold as it was in the aroma and that some spices showed up.

M- Smooth, clean, slightly watery, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I could do without the slight watery aspect.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of a stout, but as far as these mayan themed beers goes, this one was a little below par, the spices didn't really show up in the flavor and the chocolate aspect was just ok. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, slightly watery, a little crisp, not filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me and I'm ready to move on to something else. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, this was a very nice looking beer and to me it was the best aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and that it really wasn't as true to it's name as I would like, I wish the spices were more noticeable. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I think it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it just didn't have anything that made it stick it out or memorable and when it comes to mayan style stouts, I would choose an Oddsides Mayan Mocha Stout over this beer every time. It's not a favorite Thirsty Dog beer and it's up there as one of my least favorite Mayan style Stouts. I appreciate the effort, but this one needs some work, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Apr 19, 2014

juicebox, Feb 19, 2014

Zonian1, Mar 20, 2014

Stu_Grimson, Jul 01, 2014

mikeburd1128, Aug 25, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Black coffee, head was a gorgeous mocha brown. It was quickly devoured

S: Roasty, chocolately, stouty goodness

T: The chocolate is present, and evident. The honey, however, eludes my palate

M: Mid-Low carbonation, medium body

O: Enjoyable, but not recommended for honey-lovers. Hessitant to purchase again, but not from my grocer @ $15/4-pack

The-Wayfarer, Aug 25, 2014