Rise Of Mayan Dog - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Deep dark brown, bordering on black. Hint of roasted malts. Not a strong smell. Taste of fresh ground peanut butter - a little nutty with a touch of sweetness. Rich, smooth texture with a lingering carbonation. Expected a "chocolate honey" stout to be a little sweeter, but didn't actually miss the sweetness. Preferred this one a little colder, the taste lost some intensity as it warmed.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Black color. One and a half fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is a touch below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.25 S: This smells pretty damn good. Cocoa nibs are most prominent. Supple roastiness, honey, caramel, and molasses. The nibs just smell so damn good. Can't smell this enough.

4.25 T: Taste is just as good as the nose. Again big cocoa flavor. Supple, soft roastiness. Honey isn't too pronounced, but does add a bit of complexity. Caramel, molasses, and neutral malty sweetness. Again, quite good.

4.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Nice creaminess and super smooth.

4.5 D: This is surprisingly a really good beer. I think I have to pick up some more of it.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Rise Of Mayan Dog a couple weeks ago for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I've been trying more of these Mayan inspired stouts lately and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so let see how it goes. 2014 Vintage Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok and a little cartoon like, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two and half fingers worth of slightly creamy light mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed til the end and it left some nice rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a noticeable honey like aroma and it's followed by the coffee which seems to stick out the most and it mixes with some chocolate aroma to make for a mocha like aroma. Up next comes some malt that imparts a roasted malt aroma along with a light dark fruit like aroma and there's a slight spice aroma towards the end. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the different aspects blended together a little better.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that has a very light honey aspect to it and it's followed by the same coffee and chocolate that I got in the aroma, but this time they are both lighter and they make for a lighter mocha like flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart a roasted malt, slightly grainy, and very light dark fruit flavors with some noticeable ale yeast flavors. On the finish there's lower amount of bitterness with a slightly grainy, roasted malt, slight coffee and chocolate like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the mocha aspect was as bold as it was in the aroma and that some spices showed up.

M- Smooth, clean, slightly watery, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I could do without the slight watery aspect.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of a stout, but as far as these mayan themed beers goes, this one was a little below par, the spices didn't really show up in the flavor and the chocolate aspect was just ok. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, slightly watery, a little crisp, not filling, and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one is enough for me and I'm ready to move on to something else. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, this was a very nice looking beer and to me it was the best aspect of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and that it really wasn't as true to it's name as I would like, I wish the spices were more noticeable. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I think it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it just didn't have anything that made it stick it out or memorable and when it comes to mayan style stouts, I would choose an Oddsides Mayan Mocha Stout over this beer every time. It's not a favorite Thirsty Dog beer and it's up there as one of my least favorite Mayan style Stouts. I appreciate the effort, but this one needs some work, better luck next time guys.

3.1/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle served in a snifter.
Pours an opaque yet clear red-brown at the edges. Small tan head soon reduces to a partial thin coat.

S: Moderately strong, with notes of coffee and roasted grains. Too vegetal.

T: better, with more coffee and dark roasted malts to which chocolate is added. Still a bit vegetal (think well cooked, bitter greens). Lightly sweet with just a hint of spice.

M: Full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation.

O: Rich and moderately complex flavors/aromas are, unfortunately, too vegetal and not very enticing.

4.5/5  rDev +19%