Spiced Pumpkin Ale - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Dogbrick on 11-03-2003

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into my Bethpage Black USOPEN 2009 Glass.
Appearance: pale orange-amber with a thin white head.
Smell: Somewhat grainy. More of the pumpkin/spice smell comes out with warming
Taste: Sweet. Not much pumpkin spice. A little kick of hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Again, with warming, more of the spiciness comes out
Mouthfeel: Thin. Not much carbonation.
Drinkability: Did not think this is a very remarkable brew. Easy to drink, but not very memorable.
Based on the scores, this is a very average beer.

Here it is. Fall. The usual players are pushin punkin on the beer world, and I continue my search for a slice of pie in a glass.

A: Light orange/amber, very little carb with small head and lace that went away.

S: Rusty cap, slight fake pumpkin and grain.

M: About as average as it gets, mild aftertaste with no sweet, foam slightly on the mouth.

T: I get the spice part, but there is only a small amount of pumpkin. The sweetness is from honey and slight bitter from whatever hops they use, otherwise, straight average.

D: There is better, there is worse. Average all the way.

3.03/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Wasabi 88 pint glass.

A-Pours a dark copper color just like most pumpkin ales. Minimal head with spotty lacing.

S-Smells sweet, not really what I expected it to smell like, didn't really notice much pumpkin, smelled more like honey.

T-Tastes very sweet, the honey overwhelms the pumpkin and spices. I was really thinking it would be more spicy.

M-Light little to no carbonation

D-With the light carbonation it is very drinkable, but it feels more like a summer brew than a fall pumpkin ale.

3.06/5  rDev -16.6%

Consumed 11/1

A: This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear amber color topped with a one finger of white sudsy head to it. Head disappears immediately and no real lacing to speak of is left behind.

S: Nose is of nutmeg, cinnamon and a touch of malt.

T: Taste is nutmeg and cinnamon upfront, lending in to some pale ales with a finish of pumpkin and sharp spice finish.

M: Light body, medium carbonation, slick feel with a slightly chewy bite to it.

D: I love pumpkin beers, but the spicing, pumpkin and malts weren't blended that well. I have had far better offerings of the style.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A- Pours a crytal clear orange color with a nice white head. Head has ok retention and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smell is typical for a pumpkin ale. Quite a few spices just a bit lighter than others that I've had.

T- Again just like others that I've had only quite a bit lighter in flavours. The spices dominant this brew mainly nutmeg and cinnamon.

M- Lighter in body and carbonation.

D- Easy to drink just not really my thing. I guess for this season I'll just stick with Oktoberfests.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

A- transparent amber. head disappeared as quickly as it came with no lacing

S-very slight spice with a hint of pumpkin, very thin smell

T- curious, I didn't taste much pumpkin. spice was present but not very much. pretty lackluster IMO

M-smooth, little carbonation. easy on the tongue

O-its OK. not really what I was expecting. not bad in anyway, just under-performed

3.17/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured into my Danny Boy's pint glass.

Appearance - Four full fingers of creamy and frothy vanilla head cover up this transparent brew. The beer is a very watery orange color with brown caramel notes to it. It definitely has the appearance of a fall beer. It looks like 'pumpkin juice'; if that sort of thing would ever exist.

Smell - Ahhh. I've been longing for a pumpkin beer ever since fall ended. Concise pumpkin bring backs memories from the fall. Light gourd and heavy pumpkin (or Jack-O-Lantern!?) notes. Very faint bitters in the background. Slight nutmeg and spices.

Taste - What? Wait a minute. What happened to those robust pumpkin spices in the nose? Upon my first drink, I thought I was drinking straight water. It isn't until moments after I swallow until I am met with sweetened Splenda gourd juice. I occasionally get a hint of spice in my drink; but not often. Upon continuing to drink; I realized that I had to work for the taste. Swirling it around my mouth and moving my tongue around brought out all of the spices in a much better fashion. I drank the rest of the beer this way.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This is the lightest body on any beer I've ever experienced. The spices make themselves more present in the second half of the beer, which is a nice touch. This beer is extremely watered down, however. I can't even believe this is even 5% alcohol. While light bodied, the beer feels thick and swampy in my mouth. It feels like my tongue is trying to get through a thick maple syrup. Once swirling the beer around my mouth; I noticed that this really helped bring out all of the spices.

EDIT: I enjoyed this beer much more when it was warmer and have adjusted my score.

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

Appearance was nice. Poured with a small head and has a nice dark orange to copper color.
Odor is pretty good. Has light smell of spices typical with pumpkin such as nutmeg and cinnamon.
Mouth feel is a little average. It is light and carbonated. Not much substance to it.
Taste follows with the mouth feel. Has carbonated taste and light pumpkin-type flavor. Flavor is not really pronounced. Overall it seems to be lacking and not as good as other pumpkin beers I have had.

3.2/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Pours an orange copper with minimal head that dissipates fairly quickly. Minimal but visible lacing

S - Strong brown sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg maybe?

T - Strong brown sugar presence, as the initial sugar rush dies down cinnamon nutmeg and some pumpkin come in.

M - Like most all pumpkin brews, mouth feel leaves much to be desired. Tastes more like sugar water than beer. Thin, ok carbonation. not terrible but not good.

O - Nothing really special about this one, it would be ok for a holloween party I guess but the mouthfeel is pretty poor. Super sugary

3.22/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange-brown color and a clear consistency. There was almost no head to speak. Same with the lacing.

S: A nice, underplayed aroma of malt, pumpkin and spices.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and malt, though the two spices were not as featured as they could have been. A somewhat flat, thin flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: On the whole, this is just an average, extremely forgettable beer.

3.3/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Luckily my wife got a glass of this on our most recent trip, because there is no way I would get anything else when Siberian Night is in season! Dark golden orange with a medium off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. Lots of cinnamon, pumpkin and nutmeg in the nose. Light-bodied and a little fizzy. The pumpkin flavor is not nearly as strong as the aroma would lead you to believe. It almost reminds me of a spiced Christmas-type ale with the different spices that come through in the flavor. The finish is crisp and spiced with a little hops as well. Pretty good seasonal from Thirsty Dog.

3.37/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured to a small head that dissipated into a light ring of foam, no lacing. The color is lighter than most Pumpkin Ales, but still nicely colored (orange tinted yellow). Moderate carbonation. Nice malt sweetness combined with a Pumpkin/brown sugar taste on the front end. The spices come in on the back end with a lingering nutmeg flavor. Very nice and would love to have another.

~Jonathan Passow

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a pint glass:

A: clear yellow/orange body, small white head immediately died

S: pumpkin spice up front, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon in the background

T: sweet through previously mentioned flavors, honey comes through as the beer warms

M: light to medium, sessionable, crisp, strong spicey aftertaste and finish

O: this is a good pumpkin ale and I would have this again as well

3.41/5  rDev -7.1%

Big thanks to Jesse13713 for splitting one of his few 12oz bottles with me on this night of remembering Autumns past. No freshness date spotted on the bottle, but we'll assume it's a little past its prime given that I'm reviewing a September/October beer in March.

A: Pours a cloudy copper-orangish color, with two fingers of frothy off-white head.

S: Musty, pumpkin-squash aroma, with hints of ginger and nutmeg. Quite spicy, much like a pumpkin pie.

T: More pumpkin and spices; very reminiscent of the fall season. Not getting much beyond those two flavors, maybe a bit of malty sweetness. Nice balance for the style; haven't been a huge fan of the Thirsty Dog brews I've tried in the past but this one stands out as a notch above the rest.

M: Medium-bodied with lively carbonation, which lends a creamy texture to the mouthfeel. Moderately smooth, with an equally moderately dry finish.

O: A decent beer, and definitely worth a try (for at least a single) from anyone within distribution range. Exceeded my expectations considering my prior experience with Thirsty Dog; glad I got a chance to try this one.

Spiced Pumpkin Ale from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company