Old Leghumper - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Old LeghumperOld Leghumper

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: rhoadsrage on 01-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Leghumper Alström Bros

4.9/5  rDev +29.3%

This was an excellent porter. It poured very well with a small head that slowly vanished. It left a lace that added a nice apperance.
The taste and mouthfeel were very good. It coated my toungue and tingled it with its carbonation. The taste was chocolate up front and coffee to follow. A very mild porter, I woudn't call it robust. I could drink this in the morning with my toast and eggs. A very good porter, I would defintely buy this again, and I did. This is definitely one of my favorite beers!

Justin

4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

This is how Porter's are to taste!!! This poured nice into a 16 oz Guiness draft glass. The color was pitch black with a nice brown head. The taste was out of this world!!! None of that burnt grains taste that some porters try to pull off. I don't know why they try for that taste? This was a GREAT Porter that I will go and get some more of. I don't know why people like Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald so much? My personal opinion is that this is far better and a most enjoyable beer.

4.65/5  rDev +22.7%

I reallyreally love this beer. I'm generally picky about porters, but this one I really can't get enough of. It's really easy to drink, and great for a cold, winter night.

it pours a dark brown, with a slight redness too it when held to the light. no lace, and no head (at least, none that lasts longer than a minute).

the smell is total coffee, with hints of chocolate and caramel. yummmm!

the taste, clearly, is my favorite part. again, the coffee is really strong, with a really smooth, malty body. chocolate is definitely noticeable as well. it's slightly sour at the end.

in terms of drinkability, i usually end up finishing this beer within 5-10 minutes because it just goes down so easy. it's delicious, and i wish the alcohol content was slightly lower because this would be my session beer of choice. i highly recommend this porter!

4.58/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I have not tried this beer until now. I just always shyed away from some of the local breweries. This brew has an excellent finish. Just the right note of chocolate/coffee on start up and finishes smoother than most beers I have ever tried. Definitely worth grabbing a six pack for a try. I will buy again!!

4.58/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown with a very short, tan head that drops to nothing fairly quick.

Well-defined aroma of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate.

Flavor is extremely well-balanced - at the front is roasted malts, but is rounded with coffee, chocolate and brown sugar. A little hint of hops, but it goes past quickly. Robust, tasty, yet not dominated by any one flavor.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation, fairly smooth, a little oily.

Overall, an extremely well done beer. While the mouthfeel and appearance aren't top of the line, the aroma and taste of this brew are absolutely wonderful.

Old Leghumper from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company