Old Leghumper - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

good

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  6.70% ABV

(Beer added by: rhoadsrage on 01-16-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Old Leghumper Alström Bros

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

2.5/5  rDev -34%

Might have a bad bottle on my hands here. I sure hope so because this beer sucks.

Pours a jet black with some ebony hues and brown along the edges when held up to the light. Very small tan head that quickly reduces to a ring.

Aroma is quite bad. Spoiled eggs and coffee with some sweetness in the background. The taste is bland and watery with some roastiness and faint sweetness. Mouthfeel is way too thin, and I am not inclined to drink more of this.

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: deep black copper
S: mild roasted nose
T: weak and thin for a "robust porter," very disappointing, watery
M: thin and lacking in mouthfeel, where's all the chewy roasted malt?
D: drinkable but reminded me more of a average non-descript dark ale, alcohol was there but body and substance were incredibly lacking

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

The "porter" pours a dark brown to black with a week, thin, tan head. There is almost no lacing left on the glass. The nose is sweet, almost like a milk/cream stout. The beer's taste is very thin, with little hops and an overwhelming sweet, milky taste. Not much good to say about this beer. The mouthfeel is awkward, with a fizzy carbonation that leaves an oily film on my tounge. Drinkability...I won't be having another.

2.63/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown color with hints of red around the edges and a slight head. The smell is faint and has notes of chocolate and coffee as well as a caramel malt. Taste wise there is a chocolate and coffee backbone with caramel as well, with just a hint of hops to balance out the flavor, the problem is that the flavor is weak and leaves you wanted something more bold. The mouthfeel is smooth and slightly watery. The drinkability is so so, you could drink a lot of them but the taste and the smell leave you walking away.

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

What can I say, sometimes even a great brewery misses form time to time.

Appearance- Looks promising. Deep ebony with ruby highlights, and a vigorous pour left a lovely eggshell head. I don't really know about the lace because I swirled it so many times to try to discern the aroma. Yup, we know where this is going...

Aroma- Damn near non-existent. Lame milk chocolate and... can you really call that coffee? It smells like a minimalist porter. Hops?

Taste- Is this the same brewery that blessed the world with Siberian Night? The taste almost aspires to something great, but instead quickly goes in the opposite direction. The chocolate nuances remind me of something artificial like a tootsie roll. Earthy (read: dirty and grainy). The alcohol presence is not overpowering but merely annoying. I would say that I got a stale bottle if this were not the second time I tried it. Hops?

Mouthfeel- About the right consistency for a porter. Light carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down easy enough, but leaves a lot to be desired. Oh, and where are the hops?

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. I had this one awhile ago, but I remember it perfectly, bc I was let down. Pours a brown on the lighter side, really not much head or lacing. Smells promising w/ hints of chocolate and coffee. Tastes pretty watered down.. subtle and plain. Mouthfeel is very watery w/ average crabonation. There's no body to this beer! With all of the problems above, it's makes it kind of hard to drink.. but I had no problem finishing it of course.

I had high expectations, so I suppose that's why I graded it so harshly, it hurts. I like Thirsty Dog, they do some really good stuff.. but this is a complete miss. Old Leghumper has no characteristics that I look for in a porter.. it's definitely not robust. In the world of porters, I can't recommend this one.

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

Appearance: A deep chocolate brown with a tan head that is gone in a second.

Smell: smoky and malty but not much of either. Really a whole lot of nothing going on there.

Taste: carmel with some alcohol esters. A mild hop bitterness noted at the end. It has hints of a woody, earthy, and dried fruit taste but it is too watery.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation to balance it out.

Drinkability and overall: Easy going down but not very inspiring. A pretty average porter that got worse as it went. With all the good porters around here (especially Great Lakes) I see no reason to go back to this brew. I'll stick to their Russian Imperial Stout and go from there.

2.88/5  rDev -24%

A: Pours black with two fingers of off-white head that recedes into a thin ring with little lacing.

S: Roasted malts and creamy semi-sweet chocolate. There are also some citrusy hop notes on the finish.

T: Roasted malts dominate the flavor with a lightly bitter, coffee finish.

M: Medium body and carbonation with a bit of a watery feel.

O: Overall, a pretty bland porter without much depth.

2.88/5  rDev -24%

Seemed rather weak, certainly not robust like the label says. Foam head disappates quickly. Not as thick/rich as I expected. Smell and taste are a little sweet, but largely benign. Flavors all seem to be muted ... nothing jumps out. I've been drinking Imperial Stouts lately ... that could be my problem with this beer.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

A - not as dark as most porters that I have had. Short white head went away rather quickly.

S - fresh smelling if that makes sense. Possibly a little fruit.

T - there is an opening taste that I don't care for. I really do not know what it is. However, it doesn't last long. The follow through and after taste are fine. If it was not for that opening I would like this brew.

M - very mild tingle at the front of the tongue. Light feel to it.

D - if it was not for that opening flavor I wolf drink this, but unfortunately I have to pass.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Initial one inch head that disappears into a thick ring. Very deep brown color with mahogany hues. Not a bad looking porter.

Well i guess (from the smell obviously), that they're aiming for here. milk chocolate smoothness, with a hint of butteriness and roasted malts. Kind of smells like a decent English Brown Ale.

Taste is very dry, with only diacetyl accenting. Very dry, almost a nut dry. The dryness is almost akin to a overly roasted strong coffee that sits in a cup for an hour. That coffee isnt really that known. Either I got a bad bottle, or I remember this one poorly.

Leaves a roasted flavor in your mouth after the dryness disappear. More coffee late in the aftertaste, thank god. Its the savior of the beer.

Old Leghumper from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company