Raspberry Ale - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  3.90% ABV

Beer added by: RunawayJim on 04-18-2008

2.19/5  rDev -35%

01/11/11- Had this one on-tap at Betty's.
A: Pale golden with a thin collar and film.
S: Fresh raspberries and raspberry soda; that's it.
T: Raspberry soda with an awkward bitter wheat beer finish.
M: Decent, thin on carbonation, though.
D: OK; I wouldn't ever order another.

I was just going to sit back and enjoy a beer and NOT review anything, but I felt the moral obligation to warn people not to try this beer. Thirsty Dog brews some good beers, but this is certainly not one of those. (491 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -30%

Huge (too large), white head. Rocky receding. Leaves generous lace. Neutral gold color with a slight chill haze.

Sweet, like children's aspirin. I smell more strawberry than raspberry. More like candy than the fruit itself.

Relatively dry compared to other fruit beers. The "fruit" taste seems fake to me. The body is fuller than I expected. Little aftertaste. A light beer. Overall, the beer is drinkable...barely. (417 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

An OK novelty beer for non-beerdrinkers. There is very little beer sense and raspberry, though strong at the start faded to a very small semblance of its early power as the beer warmed. The nose is definitely of raspberry / berry and very little else. Decent head and lacing are wasted on this brew. (299 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

Beer pours a hazy amber color with a small head. Looks like your average wheat beer.

Smells of raspberry syrup, and some malt and hops.

Taste is something I've never experienced before. The best way to describe it is Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries cereal (the people drinking it with me agreed). It tasted like an artificial raspberry syrup mixed in with a little beer. It left an aftertaste that lingered for way too long and it wasn't a good one.

Mouthfeel was average for a wheat beer. It was lighter bodied, nothing really out of the ordinary.

I wouldn't call this a very drinkable beer. I was going to buy one until I tried it and then I put it back on the shelf. I will likely not revisit this one. The combination of the fake raspberry taste and the linger bad aftertaste just didn't sit well with me. There are plenty of better beers that use raspberry for flavor (and I'm not talking Framboise). (913 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

fizzy white top that seams to pop up and fall down immediatly. ehh. but then i took a whiff, fake berries, and just light kool aid like aroma. not even close to a good fruit beer. way too light and the flavors and aromas are so blatently artificial it was downright scary. light berrys and hints of sweet malts try and poke up but they are just remnants of what would make a good beer.

overall no. some of these i can get by with and make a pass, but this was just way off (473 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle. Cool looking label with the red spotted dalmation.

Opened to a louder pop - I almost expected it to gush. Proceeded to pour almost all head. Settled into a medium and slightly hazy yellow color. Aromas of mainly raspberries, raspberry syrup, and just all around sweet berries. A little bit on the artificial side. Tastes of wheat with raspberries. The raspberries in the tastes a lot weaker than the aromas. Blah. (428 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours into the glass a hazy straw color, definitely unfiltered, can see some sediment floating around. Massive head of small bubbles fades quickly to a ring and leaves no lacing. Lots (I mean LOTS) of carbonation is visible. Not a very remarkable looking beer.

Smells pretty damn good though. A nice, tart raspberry smell is the dominant note, with some grain mixed in.

If only the taste followed the nose. Starts off pleasantly enough, with a raspberry taste that is both sweet and tart, but after that it's all downhill. The raspberry segues into a grainy taste that reminds me of Miller lite. It's very off-putting, and doesn't get any better as you go along. This beer leaves quite an unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and entirely too carbonated. At times I felt like I was drinking straight foam.

This beer, which is my first from Thirsty Dog Brewery, really did not cut it for me. The initial raspberry flavor is nice, but the grainy, skunky aftertaste killed the whole experience. I'm not going to write off an entire brewery just because of one beer, though; I'll definitely seek out something else by these guys at some point. But the raspberry ale? Never again. (1,196 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

I love raspberry and raspberry flavored things but all I got was a kick of artificial raspberry flavor. Probably would be better with a meal than alone. Wasn't undrinkable but probably won't be buying another. (209 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Golden colored. Raspberry is much more pronounced in the aroma than in the flavor. There was hardly any beer taste to it so I assume the raspberry flavoring was added to one of their light beers. (195 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

Far too sweet. Raspberry attacks the tongue in a syrupy, soda-pop way. Raspberry is over the top as an adjunct rather than brewing element. Our server suggested we mix it with the porter, saying this was her favorite way to drink it. I figured I had nothing to lose. I was wrong. I got something like Dr. Pepper. (318 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a golden color beer, was a little disappointed there wasn't any raspberry noticeable in the appearance, flimsy 1/3" white head disappears rather quickly. I liked the raspberry aroma, was very nice.

Flavor tastewise, was very thin body, overly sweet, didn't get the raspberry flavor, more like a candied confection they sell out of an ice cream or candy truck. The beer was all over the place, if I could only smell it, it would be cool. But the overall lack of any 'beer' qualities and the crushing sweetness without any malt depth or quality left me wanting to share it more than drink it.

Drank while camping in Truckee, the night before the Solar Eclipse party. (674 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear body of yellowish-orange and a thick snow white head that turns rocky but last for a bit. There is a sea of tiny bubbles racing up to the surface of this beer.

S- The strong raspberry aroma comes through even during the pour. It is not real chemical but it is also not really a natural raspberry fruit smell. Nothing else can break through the smell of raspberries.

T- There is a big fruity raspberry extract flavor that is dry but not really chemical tasting. There is a soft corn note that has more raw grain hints as the beer warms. No real finish flavor except for the fruity flavor on each exhale.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a crisp dry finish.

D- This beer is all about the raspberries which are not to artificial tasting but still big and dominating with no support from any other flavors. (885 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a bottle to a glass.

This brew is a fair pale yellow with little head or lacing.

Smelled of yeast and grain with a hint of sweet berry.

Tastes much like the smell. However the raspberry flavor is a little on the cough syrup side. Very smooth crisp mouthfeel, and could drink a few. (297 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%

A - pours a clear straw yellow - quickly dissipating half finger of head with minimal lacing.

S - Woah, Raspberry Ale indeed. The smell they nailed.

T - The raspberry is of course in there, not as strong as the head. There is a slightly off aftertaste that I can't really describe or identify but it does not add to the flavor. It just seems lacking/artificial.

M - Very light/watery. I guess this makes sense for a 3.9% beer, it's definitely sessionable. But the mouthfeel reminds me of a BMC lite.

O - Very average overall hence my 3.0 overall rating. It's fine if you like this type of thing but really nothing special. I have homebrewed raspberry wheats that i'd drink over this any day. (695 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into a Brooklyn tulip pours a crisp, bubbly pale orange with and abundant eggshell head that lasts as a thin but complete layer and leaves decent lacing. Aroma is simply loads of raspberries and nothing else, might as well be a wine cooler. The taste is a little more well balanced with sweet malts and subtle citrus hops at least making their presence known, but still being overpowered by loads of raspberry flavor. The beer is light and smooth with decent carbonation. While this beer may appeal to raspberry lovers, to me it is simply overdone. Having tried great raspberry Imperial Stouts recently by Weyerbacher and Wedge, I must say, this one needs some serious toning down. (693 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%

Done in a horizontal tasting with Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale and Founders Rubeas(from notes).

Eye: Not all that great to look at. Straw gold in color with a sickly looking white film that wouldn't even pass for head even if it were coming from a 5cent street corner whore. This beer most likely used some type of raspberry artificial flavoring, the color denies the use of read berries.

Nose: As soon as the bottle is opened a beautiful bouquet of raspberry hits the nose. Definitely spot on for a fruit beer, however the fruit(raspberry) aroma is definitely fake, on the processed side. Malt aroma is buried beneath the extract aroma. Overall it has the aroma of dried fruit in cereal.

Tongue: Much less raspberry in the flavor that the nose would have you believe. Again, like the aroma it tastes a bit fake. The fruit flavor in this beer is reminiscent to the pink milk left over after one has just eaten a bowl of cheerios with dried fruit in it. Some malt flavor, but it is secondary to the fruit extract flavoring. Overall fake, but okay.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Very light in feel and the malt and other flavors quickly fade to leave the processed raspberry taste lingering in the mouth. Easy to drink but definitely not worth the 8-9 dollars dropped on it. This isn't something I"d shun, but I really don't see myself coming back to it this season or next, it'll prolly be a while, I mean there are much better out there as far as the style goes. Why this one less you really want something girly that has a processed tastes similar to Smirnoff ___.

More fruit that beer(albeit fake fruit from a chemists vial) (1,632 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -6.8%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

Poured a clear light amber with a small white fizzy head that dissipated rapidly and had very little lacing. The aroma was to say the least POWERFUL with a raspberry scent which covered up just about everything else except for a faint hint of a sweet yeast. It tasted lightly sweet with a very light hint of raspberry from the onset to the finish, with it being a little acidic and having a hint of yeast at the end. The flavor faded quickly leaving almost nothing left on the tastebuds. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a very lively carbonation. Overall a very light tasting brew with a lot less flavor than the aroma would have you believe. (697 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -5.9%

This beer had the expected raspberry smell that it's name implies but had a very understated beer smell to it. Once I began drinking the Raspberry Ale, I was quickly shocked by just how strong the fruit tast was. It seemed that the further I got down into the glass, the more the beer taste was overwhelmed by the fruit taste.
While I thought that this was an overall enjoyable drink, I didn't think that it rated as an overly impressive beer. I think that alot of my female friends who don't enjoy the taste of a regular beer would go for this, but I'm quite sure that most of my friends who are beer lovers would quickly turn their backs on it. I would drink it again, but I'm not going out of my way to find it. (716 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -5%

Cloudy orange beer with a slowly fading head.Aroma and taste are raspberries.A pretty bland offering if you ask me.This is not bad by any means but with the lack of flavor and low abv what makes you want to get another?? I will label this as something I could have done without!! (279 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip. Hazy golden orange with a modest white head that is just a skim in the blink of an eye. Very little lacing.

Smells of raspberry jam on toast, plus some tangy wheat. Raspberry flavor isn't as strong as I figured; while it's certainly present at all times, the crisp and toasty nature of the base beer is almost as prevalent. Seems like you could toss just about any fruit puree into the base and have some success. Finishes fairly clean with some lingering bread and raspberry. Just enough carbonation to bring it into 'refreshing' range.

Overall impression: I can't see this ever being a go-to beer, but it ain't half bad. (692 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

Served as a sample at Thirsty Dog in Akron. The color is golden with a tint of red, and a ring of head. The smell was a very strong raspberry. The taste was a very strong raspberry tartness with a bit of malt noticable in the taste as it warmed a bit. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, maybe another or two.

Well, not certainly one that I'd jump for joy for, but I'm sure non-beer drinkers or a date would appreciate this one. Still, for a fruit beer, not a bad one at all. (486 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%

A bottle at the Winking Lizard. 12oz into a pint glass.

Pours a light copper, actually lighter than copper. Small white head.

Smells great but fake. The Pam Anderson of fruit beers. You know it's all fake but you still love sticking your nose in it. Huge raspberry aroma. Sweetness.

Eh, taste is one dimensional. Horible grainy base beer. Wheat is distracting. Raspberry and some plastic taste too.

Medium light mouth, actually creamier than I expected. Decent carb.

Drinkability depends on whether my palate has been shocked into submission by a hoppy beer. Also, if I plug my nose, it's really drinkable ;)

Weak sauce from the kings of raspberry puree beer. (666 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%

Served at The Mews, notorious for dirty tap lines.

A: Bright yellow body, vibrant white head, lots of carbonation.

S: Sweet malt and very crisp raspberries, grainy at some spots.

T: Light wheat sweetness, subtle maltiness, and a lot of raspberry flavoring. Tastes sort of artificial, a little sour, but not bitter.

M: Light to medium body, far too carbonated. Makes it feel kind of cheap.

O/D: It's not a bad fruit beer, I recall it being better from the bottle. Could be an age or dirty tap line issue, since I had it at the Mews. (537 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -3.9%

When I poured this beer and smelled it I was both excited and worried. It had a very pleasant raspberry smell, but it smelled strong I worried that raspberry was going to be all I could taste.

No so, when drinking it the the raspberry taste, while present, is not too strong. In fact it may be a bit weaker than it should be.

This beer isnt bad, and if you want a fruit beer you could a lot worse, but it did not have a lot of flavor to me. (444 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a five+ finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Hazy light amber color. Raspberry nose. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet raspberry, hints of hops at finish. This is a summer beer. $2.00 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me. (298 characters)

Raspberry Ale from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company