Raspberry Ale - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Raspberry AleRaspberry Ale

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: RunawayJim on 04-18-2008)
CraftBeerGuild

EliotRosewater

06-12-2014 00:43:27 | More by EliotRosewater
ne0m00re

2.17/5  rDev -35.6%

01/11/11- Had this one on-tap at Betty's.
A: Pale golden with a thin collar and film.
S: Fresh raspberries and raspberry soda; that's it.
T: Raspberry soda with an awkward bitter wheat beer finish.
M: Decent, thin on carbonation, though.
D: OK; I wouldn't ever order another.

I was just going to sit back and enjoy a beer and NOT review anything, but I felt the moral obligation to warn people not to try this beer. Thirsty Dog brews some good beers, but this is certainly not one of those.

01-16-2011 23:19:39 | More by ne0m00re

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

11-21-2013 03:12:22 | More by xbrettfavrex
smcolw

2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

Huge (too large), white head. Rocky receding. Leaves generous lace. Neutral gold color with a slight chill haze.

Sweet, like children's aspirin. I smell more strawberry than raspberry. More like candy than the fruit itself.

Relatively dry compared to other fruit beers. The "fruit" taste seems fake to me. The body is fuller than I expected. Little aftertaste. A light beer. Overall, the beer is drinkable...barely.

09-26-2009 01:02:25 | More by smcolw
RunawayJim

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev -29.4%

Beer pours a hazy amber color with a small head. Looks like your average wheat beer.

Smells of raspberry syrup, and some malt and hops.

Taste is something I've never experienced before. The best way to describe it is Cap'n Crunch Crunch Berries cereal (the people drinking it with me agreed). It tasted like an artificial raspberry syrup mixed in with a little beer. It left an aftertaste that lingered for way too long and it wasn't a good one.

Mouthfeel was average for a wheat beer. It was lighter bodied, nothing really out of the ordinary.

I wouldn't call this a very drinkable beer. I was going to buy one until I tried it and then I put it back on the shelf. I will likely not revisit this one. The combination of the fake raspberry taste and the linger bad aftertaste just didn't sit well with me. There are plenty of better beers that use raspberry for flavor (and I'm not talking Framboise).

04-18-2008 02:23:34 | More by RunawayJim
AtLagerHeads

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

An OK novelty beer for non-beerdrinkers. There is very little beer sense and raspberry, though strong at the start faded to a very small semblance of its early power as the beer warmed. The nose is definitely of raspberry / berry and very little else. Decent head and lacing are wasted on this brew.

04-11-2003 18:53:16 | More by AtLagerHeads
ck132286

West Virginia

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

05-13-2012 21:54:10 | More by ck132286
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -24.9%

fizzy white top that seams to pop up and fall down immediatly. ehh. but then i took a whiff, fake berries, and just light kool aid like aroma. not even close to a good fruit beer. way too light and the flavors and aromas are so blatently artificial it was downright scary. light berrys and hints of sweet malts try and poke up but they are just remnants of what would make a good beer.

overall no. some of these i can get by with and make a pass, but this was just way off

08-29-2011 02:19:42 | More by mikesgroove
hopdog

2.6/5  rDev -22.8%

12oz bottle. Cool looking label with the red spotted dalmation.

Opened to a louder pop - I almost expected it to gush. Proceeded to pour almost all head. Settled into a medium and slightly hazy yellow color. Aromas of mainly raspberries, raspberry syrup, and just all around sweet berries. A little bit on the artificial side. Tastes of wheat with raspberries. The raspberries in the tastes a lot weaker than the aromas. Blah.

01-07-2009 01:04:39 | More by hopdog
cjoc83

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

Pours into the glass a hazy straw color, definitely unfiltered, can see some sediment floating around. Massive head of small bubbles fades quickly to a ring and leaves no lacing. Lots (I mean LOTS) of carbonation is visible. Not a very remarkable looking beer.

Smells pretty damn good though. A nice, tart raspberry smell is the dominant note, with some grain mixed in.

If only the taste followed the nose. Starts off pleasantly enough, with a raspberry taste that is both sweet and tart, but after that it's all downhill. The raspberry segues into a grainy taste that reminds me of Miller lite. It's very off-putting, and doesn't get any better as you go along. This beer leaves quite an unpleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and entirely too carbonated. At times I felt like I was drinking straight foam.

This beer, which is my first from Thirsty Dog Brewery, really did not cut it for me. The initial raspberry flavor is nice, but the grainy, skunky aftertaste killed the whole experience. I'm not going to write off an entire brewery just because of one beer, though; I'll definitely seek out something else by these guys at some point. But the raspberry ale? Never again.

09-27-2012 22:33:24 | More by cjoc83

08-21-2014 19:58:15 | More by jordanimal
Brent

Kentucky

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%

Far too sweet. Raspberry attacks the tongue in a syrupy, soda-pop way. Raspberry is over the top as an adjunct rather than brewing element. Our server suggested we mix it with the porter, saying this was her favorite way to drink it. I figured I had nothing to lose. I was wrong. I got something like Dr. Pepper.

11-08-2001 13:26:27 | More by Brent
Dogbrick

2.83/5  rDev -16%

Golden colored. Raspberry is much more pronounced in the aroma than in the flavor. There was hardly any beer taste to it so I assume the raspberry flavoring was added to one of their light beers.

09-18-2002 07:40:04 | More by Dogbrick
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a golden color beer, was a little disappointed there wasn't any raspberry noticeable in the appearance, flimsy 1/3" white head disappears rather quickly. I liked the raspberry aroma, was very nice.

Flavor tastewise, was very thin body, overly sweet, didn't get the raspberry flavor, more like a candied confection they sell out of an ice cream or candy truck. The beer was all over the place, if I could only smell it, it would be cool. But the overall lack of any 'beer' qualities and the crushing sweetness without any malt depth or quality left me wanting to share it more than drink it.

Drank while camping in Truckee, the night before the Solar Eclipse party.

08-15-2012 17:56:50 | More by Beerandraiderfan

01-19-2012 16:55:43 | More by Hopstimatic
JNewbs

11-24-2011 02:50:38 | More by JNewbs
Yoda22

A - pours a clear straw yellow - quickly dissipating half finger of head with minimal lacing.

S - Woah, Raspberry Ale indeed. The smell they nailed.

T - The raspberry is of course in there, not as strong as the head. There is a slightly off aftertaste that I can't really describe or identify but it does not add to the flavor. It just seems lacking/artificial.

M - Very light/watery. I guess this makes sense for a 3.9% beer, it's definitely sessionable. But the mouthfeel reminds me of a BMC lite.

O - Very average overall hence my 3.0 overall rating. It's fine if you like this type of thing but really nothing special. I have homebrewed raspberry wheats that i'd drink over this any day.

02-15-2012 22:34:04 | More by Yoda22