Labrador Lager - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

good

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  6.00% ABV

A Traditional German Lager brewed with all German grain & yeast. Very drinkable.

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-28-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labrador Lager Alström Bros

IrishGerman, Sep 14, 2012

lawbreaker, Oct 11, 2014
1.36/5  rDev -63%

slim24, Aug 11, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -40.2%

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Labrador Lager last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I have been pretty satisfied with all the Thirsty Dog beers I have had so far so I thought I should try the only other beer from them that the store had that I haven't tried before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, but I am Labrador owner so I'm a little biased. It poured a a pale golden yellow color that was fairly clear and it had a half a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that stayed till the end. The color was true to style but the head was pretty disappointing.

S- The first thing that I picked up was loads of sweet malts that impart a sweet grainy, and slightly bready aroma. After that comes a light amount of hops that impart a light earthy and grassy aroma. The aroma was somewhat on track for the style then the sweetness came which seemed to be way too sweet for the style.

T- The tastes seems to be almost exactly the same as the aroma. It starts off with loads of very sweet malts that impart an overly sweet grainy and biscuit taste that is a little similar to a Malt Liquor. After that comes a very slight amount of earthy and grassy hops that are easy to miss. The finish seemed to have hardly any bitterness and in it's place was lots of sweetness and a sweet grainy aftertaste. The taste is pretty boring and way too sweet, I'm not digging it.

M- Not too smooth, a little cloying, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a high amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that impressive and it was a little over carbonated.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that it wasn't a good example of a Dortmunder, the flavors were bland and there was way too much sweetness that seemed to dominate everything else. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, it doesn't hold my interest and is way too sweet, one is more then enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the label, it's pretty sad that the label was the best thing about this beer, but that's the truth. What I liked least about this beer was pretty much everything else, there wasn't one part of this beer that didn't have some issues and the sweetness really hurt it. I wouldn't buy this beer again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. This seems to be the first miss that I have had from this brewery, it just missed the mark on what a good Dortmunder should be like, and so far this is my least favorite Dortmunder I have had with Great Lakes Dortmunder gold still being my favorite, and this beer isn't even remotely as good as Great Lakes Dortmunder. I took a chance on this beer and it didn't turn out how I thought it would, oh well you can't win them all, better luck next time Thirsty Dog.

StoutHunter, Mar 03, 2012

Noelito76, Oct 21, 2012

BrooklynPanch, Jun 28, 2014

Newenglandcraftbrew, Aug 14, 2013
2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

This beer pours a clear, gold color with thin head, no lace. The aroma has faint hints of dough and pine. It's flavor is grassy with a bit of citrus with a dry crisp finish. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Thirsty Dog Labrador Lager is an average beer, sessionable and refreshing. Slightly recommended.

B967ierhunter177, Apr 09, 2011

mwbrady12, Aug 03, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

carteravebrew, Dec 30, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Clear, light golden color. Moderate head that settles to a single layer of bubbles. Low lace, spotty.

Dry, raw grain aroma. Possibly some light colored crystal. Low, low hop.

Highly carbonated, giving it a crisp mouthfeel. I thought I had smelled the telltale signs of adjuncts. Here, I think the taste confirms it. Overall, a very dry beer. There's some bittering hop flavor in the aftertaste.

smcolw, Sep 12, 2009

BcOneSeven, Jun 23, 2014

Blueribbon666, Jan 29, 2012

tastymug, Oct 13, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

12oz bottle into a Boston Lager glass pours a crisp, very bubbly orange with a decent eggshell head that diminishes to a thin layer and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Aroma is crisp sweet malts with a Worther's Original like caramel scent to it. The taste is an overabundance of sweet malts, not quite cloying, but almost. The beer is medium bodied with decent carbonation, but the sweetness gets in the way. This is one that smell's WAY better than it tastes, not anything I would have again.

atsprings, Jul 23, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Murphy's Irish Red pint glass. Bottle purchased as a single at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio a few weeks ago for $1.50.

A Basic lager body with a bit more yellow color but a nice creamy head on top of that. 3.5

S Kind of a distant, very basic lager smell. 2.0

T Awfully basic lager taste of barley malt, very little if any hops. Dissapointing really. 3.0

M Thin to moderate. 3.0

D Good but this is not my favorite style. 4.0

Notes: The second less than stellar beer out of Thirsty Dog (had their Barktoberfest recently). These were the first two Thirsty Dog beers that did not really impress me. I found there Cerebrus 10 and Siberian Night to be exemplary.

adamette, Sep 03, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Beer pours a straw color topped by a nice white head that dissipates into a thin layer and leaves nice lacing.

S: Grainy, no hops at all. Unfortunately, that's it.

T: Tastes a little grainy with a touch of carbonation bite. Hops are little to none of a somewhat floral flavor. Despite my descriptors, it doesn't taste half bad.

M: Mouthfeel is not bad, light bodied and moderately-high carbonation.

D: It goes down easily, and it quite quaffable. I like it.

tlazaroff, Oct 27, 2011