Labrador Lager - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Dortmunder / Export Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 12-28-2008

A Traditional German Lager brewed with all German grain & yeast. Very drinkable.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Labrador Lager Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle
Served in a Cleveland Browns pilsner glass

A - It has a golden body with three inches of white head that clings to the sides of the glass. I have never seen so many co2 bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S - I got a snoot full of caramel malt.

T - It has a lot of caramel malt and a bready taste.

M - Surprisingly full for as light as it looks.

O - The only other beer of this style I have had in Great Lakes Dortmunder. This has a different taste to it. Reminds me more of a British style. I am pleasantly surprised by how good it is.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a two inch cap that leaves a few shards behind

Smell: Bready, with a fruity, slightly lemony hue

Taste: Bready, up front, with the faint lemony hop flavors adding some balance to the sweet cracker malt; finishes a bit more to the sweet side than I thought it would

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with crisp carbonation

Overall: A decent enough Dortmunder, though I would like to see a bit more hop balance

4.38/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very golden with light copper hues. The head is a solid two fingers in height.

Aroma: Rather bready and yeasty. Twinges of citrus hop but it's much more towards the floral end of it. Subtle alcohol notes in the end.

Taste: Wow bread in a bottle and a tasty meal as well with a yeasty touch. Malts are bready with a good dry finish. Hops are more floral than citrus.
Did I mention this is quite bready because it is. From the mouthfeel side fairly smooth with a toffee texture.

Notes: Dam this is tasty an amazing meal in a bottle and very drinkable. Cheers.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

6% ABV, 27 IBU's, OG=14 P per the bottle. Brewed with all german grain and yeast.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear deep golden, forming a tall creamy yellow tinged white head with excellent retention and solid lacing. Moderate carbonation, ~2.5 carbs. The aroma is great...nice bready biscuity malt, a clean ferment, some delicate floral hops. Mouthfeel is excellent...nice chewy body, crisp and clean with a very smooth finish. The taste is excellent as well...munich and pils malt in wonderful balance with the hops. Mild bitterness, freshly baked bread crust.

Overall, this is just a beautiful example of the dortmunder lager. One of the best I've had. Well balanced, true to style. If you like them a little drier and hoppier, get Great Lakes BC.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch off-white head that stayed around a little while. There's a small amount of lacing. The brew smells like bready and sweet malt, and some light grassy hops. It tastes like bready and sweet malt. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit creamy with a moderate amount of carbonation. It goes down easy enough. This certainly isn't one of the better Dortmunder Lagers I've had. It's not a bad beer by any means, but there's nothing about this that would make me want to buy it again.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%

Lager is one of my favorite styles and this is a good one. Some craft brews are just overpowering. Golden color, yeasty nose and a thin head. Nicely hopped and a slightly sweet finish. I enjoyed it as much or more as other Ohio craft lagers. Enjoyable by itself and washing down some nachos as I watch hockey.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: pseudo opaque amber with an egg white head. Sticky lacing. Looks good.

Smell: toasty sweet in the nose. Honey, caramel, maybe a splinter of diacetyl, floral moments, and flashes of bitter-sweet fruit tones.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Light, sweet and a touch bitter up front. Honey-like sweetness. Fairly balanced with malts just barely weighing in heavier. Delicate. A peppermint spice hops flavor sits quietly in the middle, almost unannounced. Honey is king of this brew.

Notes: A bit too sweet for my current interest in drier German-style lagers. I was hoping for a little more bittering hops.

2.23/5  rDev -39.2%

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Labrador Lager last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I have been pretty satisfied with all the Thirsty Dog beers I have had so far so I thought I should try the only other beer from them that the store had that I haven't tried before, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks good, but I am Labrador owner so I'm a little biased. It poured a a pale golden yellow color that was fairly clear and it had a half a fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a very thin ring that stayed till the end. The color was true to style but the head was pretty disappointing.

S- The first thing that I picked up was loads of sweet malts that impart a sweet grainy, and slightly bready aroma. After that comes a light amount of hops that impart a light earthy and grassy aroma. The aroma was somewhat on track for the style then the sweetness came which seemed to be way too sweet for the style.

T- The tastes seems to be almost exactly the same as the aroma. It starts off with loads of very sweet malts that impart an overly sweet grainy and biscuit taste that is a little similar to a Malt Liquor. After that comes a very slight amount of earthy and grassy hops that are easy to miss. The finish seemed to have hardly any bitterness and in it's place was lots of sweetness and a sweet grainy aftertaste. The taste is pretty boring and way too sweet, I'm not digging it.

M- Not too smooth, a little cloying, on the medium side of being light bodied, and it had a high amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that impressive and it was a little over carbonated.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that it wasn't a good example of a Dortmunder, the flavors were bland and there was way too much sweetness that seemed to dominate everything else. This beer doesn't have good drinkability, it doesn't hold my interest and is way too sweet, one is more then enough for me. What I liked most about this beer was the label, it's pretty sad that the label was the best thing about this beer, but that's the truth. What I liked least about this beer was pretty much everything else, there wasn't one part of this beer that didn't have some issues and the sweetness really hurt it. I wouldn't buy this beer again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. This seems to be the first miss that I have had from this brewery, it just missed the mark on what a good Dortmunder should be like, and so far this is my least favorite Dortmunder I have had with Great Lakes Dortmunder gold still being my favorite, and this beer isn't even remotely as good as Great Lakes Dortmunder. I took a chance on this beer and it didn't turn out how I thought it would, oh well you can't win them all, better luck next time Thirsty Dog.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%

In Cleveland and tried the Labrador from Thirsty Dog. The beer poured clear golden color with some white foamish head that left some lace. The smell is a bit of strong yeast, some malts. The taste is typical of most Dortmunders, some fruit, grassy hops. The mouthfeel is light in body and good carbonation. Overall it is a decent beer and can be sessioned easily.

Labrador Lager from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company