Citra Dog - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: beer2day on 03-12-2012

Ratings: 553 | Reviews: 75
1.44/5  rDev -62.2%

Bitter beyond belief! Had to cut it with Yuengling 50/50 just to get it down. I love Thirsty Dog but this stuff is not for me. :(

2.42/5  rDev -36.5%

This was terrible. Bottom of bottle may have shown a Julian date: 4130, which I'm afraid indicates it's a year old.

Cloudy orange, frothy foam, looks nice enough.

Smell is all gross wet grains, silage, moldy bread.

Taste is sweet then bitter. Caramel malt and dandelion green bitterness. Bleh. Medium bodied, average carbonation. Nothing special, would have to try a fresh sample to re-rate.

2.58/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Too hoppy! Not good! GROSS!

2.59/5  rDev -32%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Love Thirsty Dog brewery but found this IPA to be lacking. The flavor was overly bitter and the aftertaste was too drying. Mouth feel was watery.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Cool name/branding, Citra IPAs get my excited. but this left me questioning a lot. Big bitterness through and through, not a particularly pretty pour, murky brown. The beer itself is heavy and malty, and still bitter. kinda rough. No bottled on date, it's possible this may just be an old bottle(?) I hope. Not my Jam

2.88/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a teku glass

Very interesting brew. Definitely Not what I was expecting but not a terrible beer. Aroma was somewhat off with very little floral hop aroma. I smell the said mango flavor that the label proclaims, however it is not present in the taste. I actually thought the beer was old and oxidized at first but I double checked the date to make sure. Mouthfeel is ok...not much of a party in my mouth as some of the other citra IPAs I have had. Lacing is present in the glass and the brew has a nice head that dissipates slowly. Overall not the best brew but not the worst either. Is it worth a try? Sure why not.

Cheers!

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's has a nice Amber/cider look. Very mild smell, nothing too distinct. Taste is not hoppy enough for an ipa, on the watery side. Overall a pretty weak feel, disappointed with the hops concentration. Could be a good session beer

From a bottle. Loght golden body with a big pungent sweet resin aroma. Lots of citrus flavor, but I also get a hint of onion taste. Not really digging the savory flavors or the hint of onion. Maybe this would be a good beer to cook with. Not one of the better citra hop examples

couldn't find a date code, and i suspect this was an older bottle, because i am not getting any of those beautiful citrus notes you'd expect from citra. nice malt body, though.

3.16/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours pretty enough and has no date on the btotle. SO when I was decideing to review this beer or no, I decide yes because the brewer could have put the date on and I would not have bought it had I thought it was old or past it's drinking window. For a nose there is some caramel, a bit of cracker and biscuity malt, no fruit at all. I can reach in my imagination because of what is written on the label for some orange or some stone fruits but no. Cool herbal. Taste is just ok and nothing more. If I stretch my mind out I could say a bti of tartness and fruit juiciness. It's malt forward. caramel biscuit and dry cracker. No fruit a bit of herbal and some slickness int eh mouthfeel. This had a medium mouthfeel. I would not buy this again especically not without a date on it.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden yellow. Small head. Almost nothing after a bit.

Smell - Not what I expected. A lot of grapefruit to the hop aroma. Doughy malts. Kinda musty.

Taste - Grapefruit hop again. Sweet malts, not too sweet. A little crackery. Bitter and grassy in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation. Bitter in the finish.

Overall - I expected something more orangey and tropical. It's ok, but nothing really impressive.

3.42/5  rDev -10.2%

Second beer of the day. Here goes:

A: Not very good. Murky but light orange. Pours a tiny head with very little lacing. Not much carbonation apparent.

S: OK, not great, though. Huge floral and grassy smells; also a lot of citrus. However, I'm missing that tropical sensation that I get from other citra-hopped beers.

T: Not bad. Taste follows the flowery smell, which is a good thing. Grassy hops linger at the back of the tongue long after consumption. Very little malt.

F: Bad. Far too watery; not carbonation. Just bad for the style, IMO.

O: OK beer. Will not get again, though - certainly no Zombie Dust killer, which is what was advertised at the store.

3.45/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: clear; copper colored; 2+ finger ivory head that receded slowly to a thick cap; very nice lacing;

S: catty;

T: catty as well, although there are tropical fruit and citrus notes in the background; moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not the Citra notes I expected;

3.46/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- A pale amber color under a moderate bleached white head that dissipates rather quickly. Overall an inviting sight.

Smell- Very plain but aggressive citrus smell. As the head dissipates the smell does as well but at a much quicker rate.

Taste- As expected a very heavy citrus taste initially that lingers for a few seconds. An after taste of slight hops is welcome. Overall good flavor, but a bit watered down tasting.

Mouthfeel- Overall a light feel with a bit of a bitter bite to it. The flavors are more abundant the longer the beer is exposed to the mouth before swallowing.

Overall- generally a good beer I would drink again. It has a very inviting appearance to it and is backed up with an equally intriguing smell. The taste is a bit of a letdown in that it appears somewhat watered down. Overall an enjoyable beer. If it's around and you haven't had it, why not.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Citra Dog last week for $1.99 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a beer to fill up my mixed 6 pack and since I'm a big fan of Citra hops I thought I would give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is a little cheesy, but it still looks ok and It's a little eye catching. It poured a nice golden orange color that took on more of an amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's not a single thing wrong with the way it looks.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of Citra hops upfront with some nice grapefruit aromas sticking out the most with some tropical and citrus fruit aromas showing up nicely in the background and there's also a slight piney and spicy hap aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart some grainy and bready malt aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the Citra hop showed up nicely and there was just enough malts to bring good balance to the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops with the citrus and fruity hops sticking out just slightly more than the piney and spicy hop flavors with grapefruit still sticking out the most, but not by much. Up next comes the malts that impart a grainy and bready malt flavor. On the finish comes a lower amount of high bitterness which is just a little to high and it had a lingering bitterness on the aftertaste with some bready malts and grapefruit flavors. This is a nice decent beer, but it just a little too bitter and it doesn't do the best job at showcasing how juicy and fruity Citra hops can be.

M- Not the smoothest, clean, crisp, dry, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it could be smoother and not as thick.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, but it had some aspects to it that held it back from being as good as it could and that made it a little rough around the edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked and it was a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention. I think one or two would be enough for me, I think the lingering bitterness would start to get to me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop aspect in the taste, it wasn't that bad, but it was a little too bitter and not as fruity and juicy as I would like. I don't think I would get this beer again, with Oddsides Citra Pale ALe being readily available I don't think I'll have the urge to revisit this one anytime soon. I don't think I would recommend this beer it's pretty forgettable as far as Citra hopped beers goes. All in all I wasn't that impressed with this beer, it wasn't a bad beer,but to me it didn't let those Citra hops shine as well as they could have. It's not my least favorite Thirsty Dog beer, but it certainly isn't ma favorite and I don't think it's that memorable, Better luck next times guys.

3.54/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden yellow with a finger of white head that fades into a thin ring with a little lacing.

S: Lot of grassy hops with some pine and grapefruit aromas. It's a very dry and earthy smelling beer.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are a lot of dry and earthy hop flavors. Pine, grasses, citrus rind, and some spicy herbs. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer is light and a little sudsy feeling, but avoids being watery or oily.

O: A decent IPA overall with unique hop profile and is dry and drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours clear gold with one finger of white sudsy head, medium lacing.
S - Big Pine, grapefruit, fresh bread malt.
T - Very assertive bitterness, lots of grapefruit and pine, mild bready and crackery malt underneath.
M - Too bitter, what the heck.
O - The taste is too bitter to really be enjoyable the best parts of the citra hop are sorely missed in this brew.

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nothing more than an OK offering from Thirsty Dog. Try if offered, but don't go out of your way to seek. The citra notes are subdued by what I can only perceive as a lack of overall balance.

3.62/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber with one finger thick creamy white head, settles to a thin ring, splotches of lace on the glass. Smell: grassy, tangerine, light biscuit. Taste: grapefruit, orange peel, grassy, dried sugared mango note, more sugary pale malt. Body is really cut by the bitterness, thinning out and finishing a bit chalky. Decent but easily the most disappointing citra IPA I've had.

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A light, slightly hazy orange.

S - I was a little disappointed here. The smell isn't overwhelming, actually a bit underwhelming and reminds me of white wine with some subtle citrus and spice notes.

T - There is the citra hop. There is a nice balance of bitterness with the grapefeuit and citrus flavors. The hops aren't incredibly strong or as strong as I'd prefer for an IPA, but smooth and balanced regardless.

M - Very light and drinkable.

O - A decent beer, but overall I am disappointed. This drinks more like a pale ale and the nose was not nearly what it could be.

3.67/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Bradaplast for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Cigar City pint glass.

A: Dark gold and extremely hazy. Forms a finger's worth of dense white head with great retention over quite a bit of small bubble visible carbonation.

S: Citrus (peeled oranges), tropical fruits, and bready malts. A nice nose, but not as bit of an aroma as I expected for a Citra-forward beer.

T: Citrus rind, grapefruit, some tropical fruit (mostly mango), and chewy bready malts with a touch of caramel character. There's a good punch of bitterness, and some leftover resin sap on grapefruit rind in the hang. Not quite the big fruity hop profile I was hoping for. Subjectively, this might taste a bit old; unfortunately, I see no dating on the bottle.

M: Medium to slightly heavy body, good carbonation sensation, and an average alcohol presence.

O: Not my favorite, but drinkable. I'm curious as to how old this bottle is - I received it very recently in a trade (and I believe he thought it was fresh)…I would certainly be willing to give another go-round with a (known) very fresh bottle. As it is though, edges towards more mediocre than I'd hoped.

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a transparent golden with a slight haze; small white head that fades quickly and leaves solid retention and decent lacing. The aromas aren't in your face, but they're pleasant. Lots of sweet and sticky fruits like pineapple and orange. There are some sweet malts in the mix as well. The bitterness seems to be the focus in the flavor department. Lots of pine sap and pine needles. Grapefruit is there as well. Good flavors, but lacks true depth, in my opinion. Mouthfeel is very nice. Medium-bodied; active but subtle carbonation. Thin, but not too thin. Extremely easy to drink. Alcohol goes unnoticed. It's refreshing as well.

This is a nice IPA. It's definitely in the right direction for Thirsty Dog, as far as hops go. They meant well this one. I wish the flavors packed more of a punch, but it's good stuff nonetheless. Recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Found a single at D's six packs for $3.50. Into a pint glass.
A - Well off to a great start the color is a nice light amber brown, clear with a 1/4 inch of head that sticks around for a bit leaving some decent lacing.
S - Well not in your face juicy hops but it does have a decent level of citrus and pineapple hops. Not much malt I can smell though.
T - Decent level of bitterness quite herbal and hoppy leaving a minty harsh twang on the tongue well after each sip. Somewhat balanced with mild crystal and sweet cracker malts but definitely bitter beer.
M - Medium bodied and the hops make it chewy.

Overall nothing I would track down again but recommended for hop lovers. Very bitter and herbal.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Very hazy, orange amber, half inch dense head

S: malty with subtle Citra hop aroma

T: follows the nose, and I get a hint of mint as well. There is a slight harsh edge to the bitterness, but not so much to be unpleasant

M: very pleasant medium body, strong fine carbonation, creates a persisting tingle on the front half of the tongue

O: a solid Citra hopped offering that makes its own unique statement with the hop. I would probably buy this infrequently if it were available in Chicago, but it’s good enough that I’ll seek out another 6 pack if I get back to Cleveland

3.71/5  rDev -2.6%

A- poured into a 16oz tulip beautiful crystal clear copper color. Big soapy head that hangs around for a while. Drink after drink rings of lacing hang in the glass.

S- indicative of any all Citra beer, very dank like a damp basement or jungle, citrus. Grapefruit, mango. Pretty much what I love about citra hops!

T- for 95 Ibu's it doesn't have the lingering bitterness that I would expect. No astringency, citrus hop notes, fairly well balanced by a slightly sweet malt backbone. Think I may have enjoyed this beer had it been a touch drier.

O- solid representation of a single hop American IPA. I enjoy Citra hops but I haven't bought into the hype. I would recommend this beer for someone looking for a citra gateway beer.

Citra Dog from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company