Citra Dog - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Ohio, United States

Beer added by: beer2day on 03-12-2012

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours deep golden, finger creamy white head, nice lacing. Aroma is dank citrus, tropical hops, slight bready, caramel malt. Taste slight bitter, ripe tropical fruit, grapefruit rind, bit of caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is on the low end of medium body, lowish carbonation, slight bitter hop bite lingers. Overall good, easy drinking pleasant ipa.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Very hazy, orange amber, half inch dense head

S: malty with subtle Citra hop aroma

T: follows the nose, and I get a hint of mint as well. There is a slight harsh edge to the bitterness, but not so much to be unpleasant

M: very pleasant medium body, strong fine carbonation, creates a persisting tingle on the front half of the tongue

O: a solid Citra hopped offering that makes its own unique statement with the hop. I would probably buy this infrequently if it were available in Chicago, but it’s good enough that I’ll seek out another 6 pack if I get back to Cleveland

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy orange. Thin white head. Light amount of lacing.

S - Light amount of citrus and hops. Really underwhelming.

T - Nice balance of citrus and bitter hops. The citrus dominates with the hops not very strong. Very smooth IPA.

M - Medium carbonation with a light mouthfeel.

O - Very easy drinking IPA. Would be nice beer for the summer months.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.53/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Citra Dog last week for $1.99 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a beer to fill up my mixed 6 pack and since I'm a big fan of Citra hops I thought I would give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is a little cheesy, but it still looks ok and It's a little eye catching. It poured a nice golden orange color that took on more of an amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's not a single thing wrong with the way it looks.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of Citra hops upfront with some nice grapefruit aromas sticking out the most with some tropical and citrus fruit aromas showing up nicely in the background and there's also a slight piney and spicy hap aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart some grainy and bready malt aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the Citra hop showed up nicely and there was just enough malts to bring good balance to the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops with the citrus and fruity hops sticking out just slightly more than the piney and spicy hop flavors with grapefruit still sticking out the most, but not by much. Up next comes the malts that impart a grainy and bready malt flavor. On the finish comes a lower amount of high bitterness which is just a little to high and it had a lingering bitterness on the aftertaste with some bready malts and grapefruit flavors. This is a nice decent beer, but it just a little too bitter and it doesn't do the best job at showcasing how juicy and fruity Citra hops can be.

M- Not the smoothest, clean, crisp, dry, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it could be smoother and not as thick.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, but it had some aspects to it that held it back from being as good as it could and that made it a little rough around the edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked and it was a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention. I think one or two would be enough for me, I think the lingering bitterness would start to get to me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop aspect in the taste, it wasn't that bad, but it was a little too bitter and not as fruity and juicy as I would like. I don't think I would get this beer again, with Oddsides Citra Pale ALe being readily available I don't think I'll have the urge to revisit this one anytime soon. I don't think I would recommend this beer it's pretty forgettable as far as Citra hopped beers goes. All in all I wasn't that impressed with this beer, it wasn't a bad beer,but to me it didn't let those Citra hops shine as well as they could have. It's not my least favorite Thirsty Dog beer, but it certainly isn't ma favorite and I don't think it's that memorable, Better luck next times guys.

3.63/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A light, slightly hazy orange.

S - I was a little disappointed here. The smell isn't overwhelming, actually a bit underwhelming and reminds me of white wine with some subtle citrus and spice notes.

T - There is the citra hop. There is a nice balance of bitterness with the grapefeuit and citrus flavors. The hops aren't incredibly strong or as strong as I'd prefer for an IPA, but smooth and balanced regardless.

M - Very light and drinkable.

O - A decent beer, but overall I am disappointed. This drinks more like a pale ale and the nose was not nearly what it could be.

Citra Dog from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company