Mixed Breed Sour - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Wild Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-31-2012)
1.45/5  rDev -54.3%

I never met a bad beer until I sampled this. Please check my ratings I usually score things on the high side. I asked my wife to taste this and trust me she has a pallet for every beer and she said it was vinegar. I do not know if it was a bad batch or this beer is just horrible. It is funny where I had it they list all there tap beers followed by ABV. This one had no ABV it just said Thirsty Dog Flanders.
Sorry can not recommend. First time for me.

3.88/5  rDev +22.4%

Served from growler into a Mikkeller oversized wine glass. Poured red-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a half finger quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, tart, sour, fruit, funk, wood, and floral. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, funk, wood, earth, huge brett, and barnyard funk. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. Upon first inspection of the aroma it smelled like it was going to be a winner in my book. It really reminded me of a slightly more sour La Folie if I’m honest. In I go for the first sip expecting to have my palate ROCKED by the sour and phew, was I surprised! FUNK! Lots of funk with a kiss of sour. Where the Hell did that come from? Usually I don’t complain when I get funk like this in a brew, but it usually pairs with a big sour or tart note. This one brought the funk but didn’t call for back-up. Glad I got the chance to tick this one, but I have a feeling I am going to struggle to finish off this 32 oz growler to the face.

3.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: A rather unassuming dirty brown with a head the dissipates rapidly.

S: Very light but some strawberry notes, a little grape must.

T: Taste is again, pretty meh. It has something to it with a little bit of sour and a little big of fruit and a little bit of wild herbaciousness (theres the word of the day) but none of the qualities really stands out. I mean I even get a little alcohol but nothing special. If you've ever drank a La Croix soda water it's about like that. Mostly bubbles and watery but there are some nice flavors that give it at least a little something something.

M: Bubbles really are aggressive on the palate. Light body. Some sourness.

This is not a beer for me. It has the characteristics of a sour/wild ale but nothing that really make it better than others I've had. In fact I think it's pretty weak for a sour ale. Pass on this one.

4.03/5  rDev +27.1%

Thanks Chris for sharing! Reviewed from written notes.

A couple growler pours into a tulip glass. Reddish orange color, thin veil of off white foam floats on the surface and eventually breaks into a ring around the glass.

Aromas of apple butter, yogurt, earth, woody spice. Very tart, tannic and savory feel, somewhat of a creamy lactic finish. Stone fruit and apple butter flavors, apple skins. Expressive wild yeast lends some cellar must to the fruit and wood tannins, but it's restrained. Smooth feel, lower carb due to the growler serving. Very quenching and drinkable. Reminded me of a Flanders-style Roselare blend, a mellower cousin to Love Child #2 and La Folie.

Mixed Breed Sour from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.