Wulver - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

WulverWulver

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: dbc5 on 06-04-2013)

OB1, Nov 27, 2013

DogfishJoe, May 24, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Received in trade from a very generous trader in Ohio.

Apperance: Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter. Dark brownish color. Small half inch of kaki colored head.

Smell: Great aroma of caramel, vanilla, and bourbon.

Taste: Excellent flavor. The taste follows the nose perfectly. This is a real treat so far.

Mouthfeel: A good amount of carbonation and full-bodied.

Overall: This is the best BA Scotch Ale I've had. Thirsty Dog really set a new standard for BA scotch ales with this beer. For me, it beats out Backwoods by just a little. I had them side by side, and I felt the Wulver was just a little better. It was also very hard to compare though, since both are world class beers.

t_carterb, Jul 24, 2013

Ivegotmule, Dec 24, 2013

Bartos, Mar 14, 2014

RedDon, Aug 27, 2014
4.76/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

A: A dark auburn brew with a thin off-white head that recedes into a lace on the rim of the glass. Could remind you of cola.

S: Sweet and hot from the bourbon. Wet, dark fruits come through.

T: Bourbon, yet so smooth compared to others of the style. Vanilla and oak are obvious.

M: Smooth all the way across the palate. It's like this brew just spreads across your entire mouth leaving an aftertaste of sweet vanilla. Not too heavy for a wee heavy.

O: Overall, the best wee heavy I've had. Makes me want to stand in the cold rain wearing a kilt while bagpipes play in the distance. 10/10 will drink again.

xseanprimex, Jan 27, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Apparently I didn't review this bad boy the last few times I had it. Glad to say that I have a few bottles at the house.

This delicious brew pours dark tan with no head (ginger pour on my part). After 20 minutes out of the fridge, Bourbon and vanilla hit the nose immediately, a little maple and a small amount of booze.

As far as taste, BIG bourbon and brown sugar. Vanilla washes over the sides of my tongue. Not a lot of alcohol presence on the tongue as you'd expect for a barrel-aged 12% brew.

A year has done wonders for this marvelous beer. I can't wait too see what happens to this one with time.

jerefreakinmiah, Jul 29, 2014
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle into snifter. A very warm thank you for this one, Eric.

A: Pours a very deep and woody brown with a short lived thin tan head that faded to a thin collar. A very fine film of lace was left down the glass.
S: The nose is rich and decadent with sweet notes of caramel, oiled leather, dates, raisins, chocolate, mellow bourbon and slight vanilla. Very complex and integrated; smells delicious.
T: Flavors are so very delicate and rich at the same time. Extremely smooth and mellow notes of dates, bourbon, sweet brown sugar and caramel, slight licorice, slight peat, leather and milk chocolate. The finish is lightly sweet with a slight touch of musty attic and faint faint oxidization, and the aftertaste is full of leather, raisin, sticky hop oil, and a kiss of brown sugar, bourbon, and vanilla.
M: Sticky and slick mouthfeel, low and soft carbonation, smooth, rich and decadent full body. Not as thick and heavy as a stout, nor am I expecting/think it should be. I get no trace of the double digit alcohol.
O: How is this beer so underrated?! I was blown away by its complexity and decadence. This bottle must be a few years old because of how mellow and integrated the flavors are. I could sip this all day. Thank you again, TurdFurgison!

scottfrie, Mar 30, 2014

CraftFan5, Mar 28, 2014

Matt_a_Morr, Aug 28, 2014
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

"The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes..."

This beer reminds me of the opening of Prufrock. Soft. Velvety. Rich and delicious. The smell is total overload - bourbon, vanilla, etc. The barrel really comes through. It's a bit hot, but it's balanced well.

OVERALL: Delicious. I wish that I had another and will stop at no lengths to acquire one (that's a lie). If you see this beer, buy it and drink it immediately.

mjm47, Jul 29, 2013
4.81/5  rDev +9.8%

First time I had this it was at the brewery on tap. Based on that experience, I have had no problem ever since paying $24 a 4 pack for it to be a permanent resident in my home. Aroma of toffee, vanilla, caramel, wood, and last, but not least, sweet bourbon. Taste follows everything you smell with the scottish ale at the front end, and then the bourbon tags in to give it a nice, slow burn finish. The body is just a hair on the thin side for a wee heavy, and the heat from the ABV is just a hair on the strong side as it warms up, but that is me trying to find any room for improvement. Overjoyed that this is in my back yard. I won't say that there isn't another brewery making something as good, but can't imagine anything being better. World class. Look me up if you can't find it.

WesMantooth, Jan 08, 2014

chrismattlin, Wednesday at 01:47 AM
4.88/5  rDev +11.4%

Rlhinson2104, Oct 08, 2014
4.89/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

SomethingClever, Friday at 11:08 PM
4.9/5  rDev +11.9%

KForlino, Oct 09, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +13%

Oh my dear god. I love good bourbon and I love beer.

After you read the ABV (12) and pour it and see as much head as you get (half an inch), you think "Oh man you idiot. You're lucky enough to get your hands on a bottle of this and you screw up the pour." By the time you're done thinking this, the head is gone, and you realize that everything's gonna be just fine.

The beer is the color you'd want your hardwood floor to be: Dark enough that light has to hit it for you to see the deep crimson in it.

You know how you like the tastes IN bourbon but you don't really like the taste OF bourbon because it's too burny and not smooth enough unless you pay way too much per bottle? Imagine if you took the tastes you like and made them smells. Oak, leather, vanilla, molasses, caramel.

Those are the tastes too. Maybe a little bit of plum or raisin, but you're already sipping it too fast, and you're sharing it with your friend so there's only half a bottle, and you need to calm down and enjoy it slowly.

The slick, oily mouthfeel and light carbonation aren't really enough to slow you down. It's obviously not for sessioning but you could forgive yourself for wanting 16 of these at a time.

Once, I was at a burrito restaurant in a place you wouldn't expect to find delicious burritos. I'd never been. It was two in the morning and the guy in front of me was drunk. I asked him how the food was. He grabbed me by the shirt and said "I'd kill my mother for this s**t." He thought he meant those burritos (which are indeed the best on the planet), but that kind of accolade should be reserved for a beer like Wulver. Amazing.

MattBeer, Jan 12, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +13%

Best Wee Heavy I've had to date. Smooth & tasty. Akron Ohio? WTF? Way to bring it!

Its malty and sweet. The smoothest scotch wee heavy I've tasted.

Balanced with strong aromatics. Dark brown sugar notes but not too sweet. It just tastes damn good.

ucsbmullet, Aug 15, 2013