Bernese Barleywine Ale - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Shankopotamus on 06-15-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
orcrist_cleaver

3.99/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I will preface that barleywines are really not a go to style for me, and it's been over a year since my last one. Having no real baseline for this review, and style naivete notwithstanding, I'd go back to this beer again, especially when I can get a full pint for 8 and change.

A: Burnt leather brown with ruby red highlights. 1 finger+ of mousse like head that stayed for a awhile. Consistent lacing for a third of the glass and then a two waterfalls.

S: It was poured cold and initially lots of spicy oak, wood and smoke. It took awhile for the floral and fruity hop character to unfold, but it transitioned nicely to plum, figs, and spicy citrus.

M: Just at full body with a velvety feel. Low-medium carbonation and nice warmth on finish.

T: Hot cinnamon spiced orange, anise, toffee, slight smoky character. Dark but tar cherries. Figs and candied plums. A little pithiness and pine on the aftertaste which is mellowed nicely by the alcohol. Hop bitterness did not seem intense, but definitely present, more on the maltier side of the matter but I have no clue when this was kegged.

07-26-2014 21:24:06 | More by orcrist_cleaver

jbaker67

04-17-2014 23:28:50 | More by jbaker67
oberon

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep burnt orange with a clingy full one finger slight off white head that seeltes very slowly into a frothy mass,great deep color to the beer.Malty in the nose but not overly sweet,somewhat "cakey" and bready,not much hop presence.Whoo this packs a punch with alot of fusel alcohol flavors,after the alcohol settles some caramel cake notes come into play with a shot leafy hops in the finish not a big citric/resin finish though.This is a sipping barlewine,actually it's been awhile since I have had a barleywine so maybe Iam not used to the booze of the style,still I like it and like most of the Thirsty Dog portfolio.

04-15-2014 00:14:34 | More by oberon
StretchZep

04-13-2014 22:31:42 | More by StretchZep
msquared36

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

04-06-2014 21:03:05 | More by msquared36
StoutHunter

4/5  rDev 0%

I picked up a bottle of Thirty Dog's Bernese Barleywine Ale last week for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never seen this beer before, but since I like Barleywines I thought I would give it chance, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice and goes nicely with the name with a mountain and Bernese Mountain dog on it, I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a muddy orange/dark amber color that took on more of a murky dark red color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, the color was nice and the head and lacing were really nice especially for a Barleywine.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a light earthy, floral, and spicy hop aromas with citrus rind hop aromas seeming to stick out the most, but not by much. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice sweet malt, caramel, light toffee and toasted malt like aromas with some dark fruit aromas showing up towards the end. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was pretty hoppy but the malt profile was nice and it added a little bit of balance to the aroma.

T- The taste starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart that same hop profile that I got in the aroma, but the this time the citrus rind hop aromas seem to stick a little more than the other aspects showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart that same malt aspect that I got in the aroma, but this time the toasted malts seem to stick out the most and there's even a light roasted aspect. On the finish comes a light amount of alcohol followed by some dark fruit flavors and a medium amount of bitterness with a sweet malt, caramel, toasted and citrus rind like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Barleywine and it seems to be a little more balanced then the aroma was and I like that.

M- Fairly smooth, not too boozy, a little rich, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of an American Barleywine, both the hops and the malts stuck out nicely making for a decent amount of balance and neither one was to overpowering, but the hops were getting close. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too boozy, a little rich, slightly sticky, a little filling and taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one is the perfect amount for me, but if I was really in the mood for a Barleywine I could see myself drinking two of these and I think this would make for a nice beer for when it starts to cool off in the fall. What I liked the most about the beer was the balance, it was nice and it wasn't completely dominated by hops like some American Barleywines, I could tell this wasn't a DIPA. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I would change to make this beer better, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this beer again, I would like to put some in the cellar to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Barleywines especially if they like them on the hoppy side. All in All I was pretty happy with this beer and it's pretty much just what I look for in a good American Barleywine. It's not my favorite Barleywine, but it's up there as one of my favorite Thirsty Dog beers. Good job guys, this was a very solid Barleywine, keep up the good work.

04-03-2014 03:39:46 | More by StoutHunter
HerdNo1

West Virginia

4.59/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I won't review it it detail. I would simply note that too many American Barleywines end up being nothing but hop bombs. This is a beer that's backed by a huge malt backbone. The smell is nearly what you'd get from a Dopplebock. Indeed, I'm reminded of Sam Adams Double Bock on the nose Still, there are enough hops to balance it and the alcohol is warming rather than harsh. I tend to agree that this beer will get better with some aging. I bought a 4 pack. The first was good enough that I drank another. I'm going to age the other two for a couple of years to see what happens.

Overall, this is a really tasty brew.

03-24-2014 02:18:58 | More by HerdNo1
WesMantooth

3.28/5  rDev -18%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

@WVbeergeek below me hit the nail on the head. This beer is pretty harsh. I think only a hop head would disagree. I put mine in the basement and am going to try and ignore them for a couple years. Hopefully, if I am still alive, it should mellow out and be really good. I don't think Thirsty Dog can make a bad beer. Other than Twisted Kilt, this one is the closest, but it still isnt terrible. I just think it is too bitter even for an american style BW. Would really like to see them do a barrel version of this considering how fantastic Wulver and Siberian turned out. As for Bernese, I would try to find an dusty 4 pack somewhere.

03-22-2014 19:09:10 | More by WesMantooth

WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.24/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Nice to see some Ohio homebrewer's recipe make it into production on this scale...pours a ruby slightly muddy unfiltered hue with a big soft cream head, dwindles slow fine even speckled lacing left behind. Aromatics has bright hops...citric/piney elements thus far, a bit of booze tickling my nose hairs...luscious malt backbone comes through has caramelized bready malts as perceived sweetness. Flavor hits hard with the alcohol, ethanol train all aboard...big medicinal notes with the loads of malts, a hint of dark ripened fruits raisins plums and a little off band aid element just barely peaks through here. Hops coming home at 75 IBUS, the pine and big dank citric notes slap you around a bit before getting overshadowed with the alcohol content. Mouthfeel is harsh, hopefully this beer mellows with age, I was excited to see another Thirsty Dog brew that was new to me after the last few releases I've been really impressed by Mayan Dog/Citra Dog/Chocolate beer...hard to pass each sip across the palate. Medium to full bodied carbonation doesn't hide anything here or soften the blow of each sip, an assault on the palate that I guarantee will mellow with a bit of age...these bottles are about to get lost in the cellar. Decent priced four pack on the upside, I'm gonna let this warm up some more and update this review if there are any changes.

03-11-2014 03:34:29 | More by WVbeergeek