Bernese Barleywine Ale - Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Bernese Barleywine AleBernese Barleywine Ale

Thirsty Dog Brewing Company visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Barleywine |  10.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Shankopotamus on 06-15-2013)

VaporDome, Friday at 12:04 AM

paulish, Aug 05, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -30.7%

elkinbrown, Aug 02, 2014
3.99/5  rDev +0.5%

I will preface that barleywines are really not a go to style for me, and it's been over a year since my last one. Having no real baseline for this review, and style naivete notwithstanding, I'd go back to this beer again, especially when I can get a full pint for 8 and change.

A: Burnt leather brown with ruby red highlights. 1 finger+ of mousse like head that stayed for a awhile. Consistent lacing for a third of the glass and then a two waterfalls.

S: It was poured cold and initially lots of spicy oak, wood and smoke. It took awhile for the floral and fruity hop character to unfold, but it transitioned nicely to plum, figs, and spicy citrus.

M: Just at full body with a velvety feel. Low-medium carbonation and nice warmth on finish.

T: Hot cinnamon spiced orange, anise, toffee, slight smoky character. Dark but tar cherries. Figs and candied plums. A little pithiness and pine on the aftertaste which is mellowed nicely by the alcohol. Hop bitterness did not seem intense, but definitely present, more on the maltier side of the matter but I have no clue when this was kegged.

orcrist_cleaver, Jul 26, 2014

fredmugs, May 16, 2014

AngusOg, Apr 19, 2014

jbaker67, Apr 17, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a deep burnt orange with a clingy full one finger slight off white head that seeltes very slowly into a frothy mass,great deep color to the beer.Malty in the nose but not overly sweet,somewhat "cakey" and bready,not much hop presence.Whoo this packs a punch with alot of fusel alcohol flavors,after the alcohol settles some caramel cake notes come into play with a shot leafy hops in the finish not a big citric/resin finish though.This is a sipping barlewine,actually it's been awhile since I have had a barleywine so maybe Iam not used to the booze of the style,still I like it and like most of the Thirsty Dog portfolio.

oberon, Apr 15, 2014

StretchZep, Apr 13, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +7.1%

msquared36, Apr 06, 2014

I picked up a bottle of Thirty Dog's Bernese Barleywine Ale last week for $3.59 at The Lager Mill. I've never seen this beer before, but since I like Barleywines I thought I would give it chance, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty nice and goes nicely with the name with a mountain and Bernese Mountain dog on it, I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a muddy orange/dark amber color that took on more of a murky dark red color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, the color was nice and the head and lacing were really nice especially for a Barleywine.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a light earthy, floral, and spicy hop aromas with citrus rind hop aromas seeming to stick out the most, but not by much. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice sweet malt, caramel, light toffee and toasted malt like aromas with some dark fruit aromas showing up towards the end. This beer had a pretty good aroma, it was pretty hoppy but the malt profile was nice and it added a little bit of balance to the aroma.

T- The taste starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart that same hop profile that I got in the aroma, but the this time the citrus rind hop aromas seem to stick a little more than the other aspects showing up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart that same malt aspect that I got in the aroma, but this time the toasted malts seem to stick out the most and there's even a light roasted aspect. On the finish comes a light amount of alcohol followed by some dark fruit flavors and a medium amount of bitterness with a sweet malt, caramel, toasted and citrus rind like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting Barleywine and it seems to be a little more balanced then the aroma was and I like that.

M- Fairly smooth, not too boozy, a little rich, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of an American Barleywine, both the hops and the malts stuck out nicely making for a decent amount of balance and neither one was to overpowering, but the hops were getting close. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too boozy, a little rich, slightly sticky, a little filling and taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one is the perfect amount for me, but if I was really in the mood for a Barleywine I could see myself drinking two of these and I think this would make for a nice beer for when it starts to cool off in the fall. What I liked the most about the beer was the balance, it was nice and it wasn't completely dominated by hops like some American Barleywines, I could tell this wasn't a DIPA. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I would change to make this beer better, it's fine just the way it is. I would buy this beer again, I would like to put some in the cellar to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Barleywines especially if they like them on the hoppy side. All in All I was pretty happy with this beer and it's pretty much just what I look for in a good American Barleywine. It's not my favorite Barleywine, but it's up there as one of my favorite Thirsty Dog beers. Good job guys, this was a very solid Barleywine, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Apr 03, 2014