Quilmes - Cervecería y Maltería Quilmes / Grupo Bemberg

Cervecería y Maltería Quilmes / Grupo Bemberg visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-11-2002

Well, another good lager beer for hot days. IT is not that great, but is good for refreshing. Very crystal and light Yellow. Although I got i a little frozen. IS the most comercial beer in Argentina, and there is even a Football team with that name, and a lot fo teams has the QUILMES name in the T-Shirts.

1.48/5  rDev -43.9%

Sorry for the belived most handsome people´s inthe word they have the worst beer sell in mexico, its remarked grains flavor made worst, its patagonian hops not help its flavor, but in general is good only one or two no more, they give a several head pain and cruda

2.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The color is light gold, with a slightly uneven, foamy white head. The smell is the typical macro mix of 2/6-row and adjunct sweetness. The taste is rather bland, without even being particularly sweet in the beginning but rather full of DMS flavor...not even the slightest hint of hops in this one, though it does sweeten just a bit as it warms in the mouth. Mouthfeel is watery. As for drinkability, getting through this one might be a challenge, so after getting the country why the hell would I want another?

As I've said before, one of the hazards of country collection is knowing that 90% of the countries are going to feature the same boring adjunct lager as their national beer, so I'm not surprised about Quilmes. If I ever went to Argentina, this might be worth having in the spirit of "When in Rome..." , but here in the US this is another one I wouldn't bother with again.

2.4/5  rDev -9.1%

Sorry for my Argentinian friends.
My can states 4.9% ABV and not 6.5% as the BA database claims.

Pours a straw yellow and highly carbonated beer. Almost no head and some lacing.

Smell is a typical adjunct: Corn, some malts, more corn.

Taste is shallow, grainy.

Aftertaste: Has an aldehyde finish.

I'll avoid this one as long as I can.

3.06/5  rDev +15.9%

"Argentina's favorite beer" pours a crystal clear pale straw-gold body beneath a short head of bright white foam that holds well and leaves some nice splashes of spotty lace about the glass. The nose is displays lightly sweetish, adjunct enhanced malt and just the barest essence of grassy hops. In the mouth it's crisp with a slightly elevated carbonation (@ 2.57-2.6) and medium light body. The flavor displays more hops than the nose suggests, but it's still very basic. Surprisingly, there's a touch more hop bitterness than might be expected, and it finishes dry with some quickly fading sweet malt.

1.61/5  rDev -39%

My bottle claims 4.9 ABV, not 6.5

Clear light yellow. Not much head, vanishing.
Smell: malt, corn, grainy.And some, very little, hop in the back.
Taste: where?
Well, grainy, useless indudtrial macro lager. Quite carbonation.
Body and aftertaste: nothing to talk about.
Absolutely tasteless, anonimous, and completely useless.

The beer after its decapitation sets in the glass a limpid light gold with a modest bright white head that is frothy in texture and quite short lived, the lace left behind a velum like sheet to obscure the glass. Nose is as expected, malt, crisp and clean start somewhat sweet and lightly malted, top thin as water. Finish is moderately carbonated, the hops light but present, dry aftertaste.

2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Given it is a macro/adjunct style, there is nothing wrong with this beer; however, there is nothing outstanding either.

Very pale color, fine and fast falling white head.
A brief flash of skunkiness before a steady grainy flavor.
In truth, it was inoffensive and finished clean.

I'd pick this brew of the Pampas over the legion of light Mexicans with spicy food.And if this is the Budweiser of Argentina it is a better Bud. All relative, I guess.

1.99/5  rDev -24.6%

Sampled at the Southside Beer Expo, Frankfort, IL. Well, I may be sampling this just so I can finally claim to have had a South American beer. But this does have a little more character than the standard pale ale. Served a little warm, it demonstrates a bit more hoppiness and a few good malt notes than the standard megabrew. Just not too much more. Insert your joke about Argentinians and Germans here.

I long ignored this beer, figuring its lack of positive reputation said enough. My wife brought one home, so I had to try it. It pours the same pale yellow as the bulk of mass-produced American lagers. It also has the decidedly nondescript smell of most mass-produced American lagers. The most noticeable smell is a grassy aroma; hops are lurking far offstage somewhere. The taste? Just like a mass-produced American lager. Again, a grassy flavor and also some metallic taste. It's not quite bad enough for a drain-pour, but it's close.

2.15/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz. Bottle: I saw this and decided to try a beer from a country that I had not yet sampled one of their beers. It pours into the glass a plae yellow color, and is pretty clear. A big white head that fizzes down rapidly. There is a good bit of carbonation to the beer. There is a sweetness to the nose, but it is mostly just sweet with a general lack of character. Maybe a hint of honey. The taste is definitely light. There is a bit of a sweetness to the taste, with a slightly dry finish. Incredibly non-descript and forgettable.

2.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Looking for something new and interesting from a country I have not sampled, I found this at the local pub. It poured a pale yellow color with a finger of head that fell to coat the beer. The nose was slightly honey-sweet with a healthy dose of corn and a slight noble hop spice. The flavor was pretty pedestrian. A slight graineyness and corn flavor without a real hop character. The feel was thin, almost like a bubbly water. Not a great beer. The flavor is lacking along with the feel. I won't be having this again.

2.15/5  rDev -18.6%

Hmmm. Argentina beer. Why not? Should be a decent combination with the 'brazilian- themed' tapas place I was at.

Poured out a typical light yellow south of the border adjunct lager with a thin white head that went away quickly. Not much to smell, maybe a whiff of corn. Certainly no hops... Tasted inoffensive. Yes, it's crisp, and clean, and refreshing; probably used a bit of corn and rice in there. Probably would be alright washing down spicy foods.

Not much to recommend this over other beers. Probably their attempt to be budweiser. Nothing horrendous, mind you, just nothing interesting.

2.53/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Would not have even picked this up for curiosity sake unless no other option would be available. This time, I received it in a Beers of the Worlds gift pack and complemented with some Mexican take out. It's better than a Corona or any commericalized beer, but not by much. Tastes of light corn and little hops. Okay carbonation and lacing (who knows how long it's been on the store shelf). Try something else.

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

I don’t recall having a beer from Argentina before I saw this one, so I had to give it a try.
Luckily, from the outset, I didn’t expect much. So, I wasn’t disappointed when I got exactly what I expected. The beer is very clear, yellow in color, has a nice white (typically sized) head. My bottle seemed to have a bit less carbonation than similar American-style lagers. Faint, almost non-existent aroma…primarily composed of adjunct and vegetable smells. Very faint hops in the smell, provided you really look for them. Soft, and slightly sweet, but also thin, watery, and weak. Finish is clean, but devoid of much taste. On par with most American macros.

1.55/5  rDev -41.3%

My bottle claimed only 4.9% ABV. Not 6.5%. And it was every bit of about 2%.
It featured a standard, factory-grade, anemic, gray-colored fizz on top. It went away quickly. The aromas told of accelerated fermentation : grain; sugar; and alcohol. Bland and dry, it served up impressions of rice pancake and mineral water. Very Bud Light-like in it's candied, thin flavor profile. Stale, freeze-dried pea flavors lurked on the finish. This was the most tasteless imported beer I've ever consumed -- utterly meaningless.

1.95/5  rDev -26.1%

You always walk a fine line when buying a beer just because it is from a new country. I knew this wouldn’t be good, but darn it I wanted to try an Argentinian beer! I am sure I am not the only one. Pours a clear pale gold color with a thin white head that lasted pretty long. Thin lacing. The aroma is lightly hopped. Thin-bodied and adjunct-ridden with a weak hops and malt flavor struggling to be noticed. The finish is clean but nearly flavorless. I have definitely had worse but this beer really serves no purpose other than being from Argentina.

2.95/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours a bright clear yellow with large bubbles in a 1" head (I don't like large bubbles). Aroma is of burnt grain, oily with a slight hop touch. Flavor is moderate grainy, with slight hops at the end. Processed flavor with alightly sweet nutty notes. Very easy to drink, but mainly because there isn't much going on. Fuller and richer that standard US macrobrews, but that's about it.

3.75/5  rDev +42%

This beer poured a yellow that was nearly a gold with a wonderful thick white head that lasted quite some time and left a nice lace on the sides of the glass.

This beer's aroma was delightful and perfect for the style. The malt and the hops both came through but at a level that neither dominated.

The taste was more muted than I had hoped after the excellent appearance and aroma. Don't get me wrong. This beer does not taste bad. It just not have enough taste. The malt and the hops are balanced, but the bitterness is never promenent. The taste is clean and has no side tastes.

The mouthfeel is medium light and has a clean refreshing feeling behind.

I really like this beer for sitting around telling lies and eating BBQ. I will most certainly pick some more up to have on hand.

2.41/5  rDev -8.7%

Now that Trader Joes no longer has the DFH 60-min IPA, I decided to picked up a Six-Pack of Anderson Valley Hop Ottin’ IPA tonight to stock up the “regular decent tasty after work beer cubicle” portion of my Fridge.

As I perused the Aisle for those lesser known TJ specials I spotted a new one. The icy white-blue arctic label of the bottle and the Six-Pack carton design caught my eye. I’ll have to look where I am walking more carefully next time.

Lucid yellow color with a reasonable white head. Looks pretty average, but it is nothing outstanding. Nothing in the nose at first, deeper inhalation reveals a sickly sweet malt odor that is feint at best. Tastes are of a thin light pale lager, some malt, very light hops but incredibly delicate in nature. The merest hint of food with any flavor would relinquish this to a washing down beer. Even pretzels or peanuts would drown the meek flavor profile in this one. Mouthfeel is thin, but this beer is rescued by its crisp clean, mountain fresh spring water feel. Which means that this actually drinks rather easily, probably because it is light on flavor and has a crisp fulfilling feel when chilled?

Looks OK, smells crap, tastes of “thin lager”, low mouthfeel but crisp and clean with a good Drinkability. Oh yeah, 6.5% - What the feeerk? Nah, no way, come one, do they measure alcohol by volume differently in Argentina?

The beer has the words “The Favorite Beer of Argentina” on it. WTF?? Who is gong to believe that crap, oh shit I did, and that’s why I picked up a bottle! On reflection, the advertising slogan sounds like “The Favorite Child of Michael Jackson” or “The Favorite Battle Cry of France”; no-one is going to believe it is either good, or even for real. Sure enough, it’s neither. Could this be South American AB (Argentine Bud)? Maybe!

3.07/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a clear yellow brew.

Smell is mostly a strong grain scent, with a faint smell of hay.

Taste is a little sweet and very mildly flavored. Taste is mostly grain and a little touch of bitterness. No off flavors at all.

Mouthfeel is OK, the carbonation level is quite high, it stings your tongue a little.

Super drinkable brew, it goes down fast. Nothing offensive about this but it IS low flavor compare the craft brews that most here are used to. Not a beer I would seek out again but it is a good food-chasing brew.

3.16/5  rDev +19.7%

This pilsner tastes crisp and thirst slaking, but not much more. Interesting that the heat of % ABV isn't noticeable in such a light bodied brew. From Argentina, how often do you find one of them, in Texas no less!

Taste, scored below average, the finish on the palete is metallic. Previous reviewer noted that it wasn't offensive, I'd agree, but neither is is one to celebrate about either!

The high appearance marks are related to the consistent liveliness of the carbonation, fine bubbles and holding of the head in the glass.

2.46/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: yellow, foamy white head,
Smell: I tried, I don't think I smelled anything
Taste: possibly the faintest tasting beer I've had yet, also had additional taste of what I can only describe as "dirt"
Mouthfeel: nondescript, but not offensive
Drinkability: drinkable, yes
Overall: As a pilsner lover, I don't love this beer

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer has no taste at all it just goes down fast and easy, pretty clear and crisp. Hopy smell and a lttle malty. It reminds me of alot of the other Latina American beers that have mad it big in the US (Corona, Dos X) in the sense that it should be consumend if you are going to fry under the sun. Good substitute for water.

1.86/5  rDev -29.5%

I thought Ultra was the most flavorless beer I'd run across. Here, it has met its match. Aroma - well, if water has an aroma, this smelled about the same. As for flavor - no malt, no hops - about all I got was some vague olive-juice sourness. I had no idea that a beer could have some an utter absence of flavor. If this is Argentina's favorite beer, heaven help me if I ever have to go there.

Quilmes from Cervecería y Maltería Quilmes / Grupo Bemberg