Polar Pilsen - Cervecería Polar

Cervecería Polar visit their website
Venezuela

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-08-2002

Polar Pilsen acompaña a los venezolanos desde 1941, con la misma dedicación, constancia y esfuerzo que le pone el venezolano día tras día a todo lo que hace. Cumplimos 70 años acompañando y aportando una esencia que es y seguirá siendo Polar Pilsen, nuestro auténtico sabor.
to view more.
Ratings: 63 | Reviews: 33
Reviews by Luiz0930:

I had this down in Aruba in an 8oz. bottle. It was golden in color. The smell was about average...not too strong, it does have a very slight hoppy smell. I did not find it to be as flavorful as other pilsners (watery) but I found it to be clean with very little after taste. It actually reminded me of a light beer. It is a beer that is best drank within it's environment, ice cold on a hot day.

3.1/5  rDev +16.1%

8oz bottle bought in Aruba.

Light golden color, lots of bubbles rushing to surface, but not pushing up any head. Small bright white ring that fades more than sticks.

Smells very familiar, like a slightly skunky Corona or Stella. Mostly just skunked hops and carbonic whiffs, bit of sweet corn-like smell.

Tastes like a cross between a German Pils and a crappy Mexican lager. Light bready malt with crisp hop balance, but with some "extra" sweet and dirty flavors. Not nearly clean enough to be a good pils, but not a bad beer. Tastes like it could have some corn or other adjuncts. Relies on heavy carbonation for the impression of crispness rather than good hop balance.

Pretty drinkable for what it's worth. Disappointing for a Pils, but better than a Corona.

2.18/5  rDev -18.4%

***The name on the bottle was 'Polar Pilsner', but I have confirmed this is the same beer as Tipo.***

Going back a couple of weeks through my notes for this one, which I found at a Hispanic grocery while trekking around in the Miami heat.

Pale yellow, mid to high carbonation. Average white head. Aroma was minimal, but a few hops were in there plus a bit of corn starchiness. The mildly hoppy flavour was intertwined with an offputting cereal graininess. One-dimentional and plastic, though it did at least quench my thirst. Little finish that I could note.

This is not a good quality beer by any means, though not the foulest I've tried.

1.13/5  rDev -57.7%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with almost no head. No aroma and taste is very weak. No surprise here since I didn’t expect much to begin with anyway. What is worth mentioning though is that the bottle is made in the shape of a baseball bat and will make an interesting addition to my bottle collection.

1.84/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Had this on a hot day in Curacao. It feels more like any other light beer out there, nothing special but not the worst either.

3.34/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was really thirsty when i tried this, i might be too subjective.

3.13/5  rDev +17.2%

Aroma - Corny with a sligh skunk aroma but a decent pilsener aroma too.

Appearance - Clear pale yellow not a ton of carbonation but a decent white head that stuck around.

Taste - Nothing, water. Actually is grew on me with a decent pilsener bite that turned sweet as well the more I drank. Drinkable for the price, but I'm no fan of Chavez in Venezuela.

Notes - A suitable beer but not worth it unless cheap.

2.74/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells like a czech with Saaz hops and the like. Pours to a pale yellow, no head to speak of. Taste is light and fresh, sweet and dry with not much bitterness evident. Sweey mellow finish, however it doesn't seem to difficult to finish mellow when there is not much flavor to speak of throughout. Dissapointed in the taste after the smell. Good thirst quencher but then again so is water. I must rate this beer as a good lawnmower but lacking in flavor. Lots of bark but really no bite. Kind-a like Chavez.

Just like a coors light, has more of a citrus note

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Picked up a sixer at the self proclaimed "southernmost grocery store in the US" in Key West, Florida. Bottle design is slightly different from the one shown, with the bear walking towards you and out of the crest. Pale straw color with mucho carbonation but zero head, just a rim of bubbles around the mouth of my pint glass. Nose is faint but what's there is artificial smelling and pretty nasty.

Tastes pretty much like I expected: watery and laced with mediocre hops. Decently crisp with a passably clean finish. Not a drain pour as I feared after a gander and a whiff but not quite in the neighborhood of okay, let alone good. Probably refreshing on a hundred and whatever day in Caracas, but not much to offer in NC in Feb..

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Can brought back to me from Aruba by my parents, normal fizzy pilsner style beer in the vein of other American lager, fairly refreshing but nothing spectacular please see any other review by me for this style to know my opinion because this is no different.

1.58/5  rDev -40.8%

I got this beer during a recent trip to Aruba.

A: Pours a straw-yellow, almost clear body with a small, white head that pretty much fizzles away immediately; nothing impressive at all.

S: The smell for this beer is missing. Almost odorless, like water, with faint hints of watered down bread and corn smells. Slight sourness.

T: The taste is very similar to the smell. Watered down and mostly bready and corny with sour, yeasty aftertaste. I would say it's most likely the equivalent to the water run-off from the mash after it's done being steeped.

M: Watery and very thin, which pretty much matches the smell and the taste, so nothing really exciting there.

D: Not a very impressive mouthfeel and taste combo and a taste that made this beer more annoying than tolerant. If I see the beer on the ice-cap, I am definitely avoiding it in the future. Next time I go to Aruba, I'm staying on the Balashi train.

2.75/5  rDev +3%

I had this while on my honeymoon in Aruba. Pale yellow color, with a typical macro smell. Taste was relatively average, minimal hops, some crispness but somewhat of an artificial flavor. Not a very exciting brew, and not the best hot-weather beer choice I found on the island.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From my notes 6/11/07 pours a one-finger white head that quickly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Faint hoppy nose. Light carbonation and light bodied. Flavor is mildly hoppy, occasional sweetness and an almost clean finish. S.Fr. 3.40 ($2.77) for a 12oz bottle from Drinks of the World Lucerne, Switzerland

2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

My sister brought me a couple of small 10 oz cans of Polar back from Columbia. The beer is a very clear light yellow color. A foamy white head fades very fast to a ring around the beer and that soon disappears. There is little to no aroma, but what I could detect smelled flowery and almost honey like. The beer is very drinkable and goes down quickly. Carbonation is slow and the flavor begins with a sweet light malt and corn taste. Some hoppy bitterness finishes off the sip and leaves a mild bitter flavor behind.

I was pleased to find this beer did not have any chemical flavors found in many low quality brews. I also thought the flavor had many similarites to honey mead.

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

Here we go again with em lagers. Pours a pale golden tone, with a medium bright white head and a lot of carbonation. The smell, intense, gives off much of the hops and a slight maltyness.

The taste, and what gives it an edge over other lagers, is That it is dry but flavourful, with much of the maltyness prior to a nice bitterness, and a nice feel to the carbonation throughout. This all favours an 'aux cayes' (OK) mouthfeel, not a bad beer at all.

2.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a standard clear golden color, topped with a average white head of quick retention.
The aroma is gentle; some malts and grains are present.
The taste starts sweet and grainy, followed by a nicely balanced body, finishing with a sting of bitterness. Pleasant finish, must say.
Otherwise nothing special. Drinkable and refreshing.

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottle brought to me by my brother, thanks John, as he was on a Carribbean cruise. Encouraged by those he brought it from to drink very cold, so I've been storing this in my garage (December in MN should be could enough). Nice label on painted bottle (which I'll keep for homebrew) and on the cap (which left a rust ring on the bottle).

Aroma presents with a very sweet malt. Fairly clean and typical.
Yellow-gold. Water clear. 1/2 inch white head that dimished to a ring only in time.
Flavor is a mix of the slightly sweet malt up front, then mild bitterness and finishes with a pretty heavy dryness that lingers long for style. Not blended all that well, but an interesting mix.
Appropriately thin with moderate carbonation for style. Dryness is both good and bad for thirst quenching properties.
The dryness really stands out. Very easy to drink quickly (I wasn't that thirsty and it went down very fast). This prevented me from letting it warm, but that may be just as well as I would predict it wouldn't hold up so well. Not a classic, but I can see having this when it's hot out and the beer is very cold. It'll do just fine then.

1.8/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

Bottle with a strange measure (237 ml.). Pours a a very pale golden colour, almost no head and it doesn't hold. Smell... well, I guess could spend the whole bottle trying to find one. Light body, almost no carbonation. Palate is about nothing too, water with some malt. Drinkable? Sure, like water. I guess one can drink this in a hot weather, but there's really nothing much to say.

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%

Last year, I went to the island of Bonaire in the Netherlands Antilles, and Polar ended up being one of the more popular beers there. The Dutch locals prefered the Heineken, Amstel (not Light!) and Amstel Bright, but this beer was the preferred brew of the island people and the visiting South Americans. So... this is beer to drink if you want to go local in Bonaire. As expected however, it's almost purely a hot weather brew and is pretty unspectacular in most regards.

Polar pours a yellow color with some active carbonation. A fingers worth of foam forms and lasts for a minute before thinning out. The smell was a typical "island beer" smell of some husky adjunct smell and some mustiness. The body of the beer seemed thin, but had a somewhat high level of carbonation. Tastewise, the beer was no surprise with a bit of a corn/adjunct taste masking the light malt profile that was present. There was low-moderate astringent bitterness present. Overall, the flavor wasn't going to knock anybody off their feet (some might even say it is a bit watery). The brew tastes of cooked veggies in the aftertaste and concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

My friend's dad visits Bonaire every year and this particular bottle was brought back to me recently (I wish I brought back some beer from my trip). I call this a "living in the moment" beer. Back home, this really didn't do anything for me, but when enjoying the island life, this beer hits the spot.

2.45/5  rDev -8.2%

-My brother in law used to drink this in Venezuela growing up. He can get it now in Miami so he brought me a couple to try.

This beer pours pale and yellow, with medium carbonation and no head or lacing to speak of. There was almost no aroma but I did detect a hint of hops. The taste was very bland and non-offensive. The beer is dry, crisp, and refreshing.

Reflection: If I was at a ballgame on a hot summers day I think I would enjoy knocking a few of these back, but this beer lacks any flavor and is not a quality beer by anyone's standards.

2.01/5  rDev -24.7%

This brew pours a light straw color with no head, and leaves no lace. There is no hop aroma and malty aroma nothing this is bad. A taste of nothing but a little hops that is about it. This is a beer from Aruba and it sucks. I had a friend bring some beer back from there and this is some of what he brought me.

Cheers

1.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Tried it on location. Looks like beer allright, has some head , but the closest to tap water you can get in a beer bottle. Hardly no malt or hop taste.

2.22/5  rDev -16.9%

Had this down in Miami, bought a six-pack at a Publix, wish it was a one pack.

Pure nothingness. Club soda yellow,no head. Stinky euro skunk in the aroma and TONS of cooked veggies in the flavor. Crisp in the texure, but still, I feel for the pour soles in Venz that would have to drink this on a daily basis.

2.33/5  rDev -12.7%

Had this on my trip to Curacao. It was awhile ago but I took note and wrote it down. Poured a straw yellow and carbonated much like a macro with similar taste. If you ever go to a the "ABC" islands, my suggestion would be amstel bright. Of course happy hour at the tiki bar served these for $10 a bucket of 6. So I drank alot of these on the beach.

to view more.