Polar Pilsen - Cervecería Polar

Cervecería Polar visit their website
Venezuela

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-08-2002

Polar Pilsen acompaña a los venezolanos desde 1941, con la misma dedicación, constancia y esfuerzo que le pone el venezolano día tras día a todo lo que hace. Cumplimos 70 años acompañando y aportando una esencia que es y seguirá siendo Polar Pilsen, nuestro auténtico sabor.
Reviews by WanderingFool:
2.93/5  rDev +15.4%

My sister brought me a couple of small 10 oz cans of Polar back from Columbia. The beer is a very clear light yellow color. A foamy white head fades very fast to a ring around the beer and that soon disappears. There is little to no aroma, but what I could detect smelled flowery and almost honey like. The beer is very drinkable and goes down quickly. Carbonation is slow and the flavor begins with a sweet light malt and corn taste. Some hoppy bitterness finishes off the sip and leaves a mild bitter flavor behind.

I was pleased to find this beer did not have any chemical flavors found in many low quality brews. I also thought the flavor had many similarites to honey mead. (681 characters)

I had this down in Aruba in an 8oz. bottle. It was golden in color. The smell was about average...not too strong, it does have a very slight hoppy smell. I did not find it to be as flavorful as other pilsners (watery) but I found it to be clean with very little after taste. It actually reminded me of a light beer. It is a beer that is best drank within it's environment, ice cold on a hot day. (395 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +22%

8oz bottle bought in Aruba.

Light golden color, lots of bubbles rushing to surface, but not pushing up any head. Small bright white ring that fades more than sticks.

Smells very familiar, like a slightly skunky Corona or Stella. Mostly just skunked hops and carbonic whiffs, bit of sweet corn-like smell.

Tastes like a cross between a German Pils and a crappy Mexican lager. Light bready malt with crisp hop balance, but with some "extra" sweet and dirty flavors. Not nearly clean enough to be a good pils, but not a bad beer. Tastes like it could have some corn or other adjuncts. Relies on heavy carbonation for the impression of crispness rather than good hop balance.

Pretty drinkable for what it's worth. Disappointing for a Pils, but better than a Corona. (765 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -14.2%

***The name on the bottle was 'Polar Pilsner', but I have confirmed this is the same beer as Tipo.***

Going back a couple of weeks through my notes for this one, which I found at a Hispanic grocery while trekking around in the Miami heat.

Pale yellow, mid to high carbonation. Average white head. Aroma was minimal, but a few hops were in there plus a bit of corn starchiness. The mildly hoppy flavour was intertwined with an offputting cereal graininess. One-dimentional and plastic, though it did at least quench my thirst. Little finish that I could note.

This is not a good quality beer by any means, though not the foulest I've tried. (648 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -55.5%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with almost no head. No aroma and taste is very weak. No surprise here since I didn’t expect much to begin with anyway. What is worth mentioning though is that the bottle is made in the shape of a baseball bat and will make an interesting addition to my bottle collection. (310 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

1.84/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Had this on a hot day in Curacao. It feels more like any other light beer out there, nothing special but not the worst either. (126 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +28%

3.34/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was really thirsty when i tried this, i might be too subjective. (66 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +23.2%

Aroma - Corny with a sligh skunk aroma but a decent pilsener aroma too.

Appearance - Clear pale yellow not a ton of carbonation but a decent white head that stuck around.

Taste - Nothing, water. Actually is grew on me with a decent pilsener bite that turned sweet as well the more I drank. Drinkable for the price, but I'm no fan of Chavez in Venezuela.

Notes - A suitable beer but not worth it unless cheap. (411 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.74/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells like a czech with Saaz hops and the like. Pours to a pale yellow, no head to speak of. Taste is light and fresh, sweet and dry with not much bitterness evident. Sweey mellow finish, however it doesn't seem to difficult to finish mellow when there is not much flavor to speak of throughout. Dissapointed in the taste after the smell. Good thirst quencher but then again so is water. I must rate this beer as a good lawnmower but lacking in flavor. Lots of bark but really no bite. Kind-a like Chavez. (506 characters)

Just like a coors light, has more of a citrus note (50 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -3.5%

Picked up a sixer at the self proclaimed "southernmost grocery store in the US" in Key West, Florida. Bottle design is slightly different from the one shown, with the bear walking towards you and out of the crest. Pale straw color with mucho carbonation but zero head, just a rim of bubbles around the mouth of my pint glass. Nose is faint but what's there is artificial smelling and pretty nasty.

Tastes pretty much like I expected: watery and laced with mediocre hops. Decently crisp with a passably clean finish. Not a drain pour as I feared after a gander and a whiff but not quite in the neighborhood of okay, let alone good. Probably refreshing on a hundred and whatever day in Caracas, but not much to offer in NC in Feb.. (733 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Can brought back to me from Aruba by my parents, normal fizzy pilsner style beer in the vein of other American lager, fairly refreshing but nothing spectacular please see any other review by me for this style to know my opinion because this is no different. (257 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%

1.58/5  rDev -37.8%

I got this beer during a recent trip to Aruba.

A: Pours a straw-yellow, almost clear body with a small, white head that pretty much fizzles away immediately; nothing impressive at all.

S: The smell for this beer is missing. Almost odorless, like water, with faint hints of watered down bread and corn smells. Slight sourness.

T: The taste is very similar to the smell. Watered down and mostly bready and corny with sour, yeasty aftertaste. I would say it's most likely the equivalent to the water run-off from the mash after it's done being steeped.

M: Watery and very thin, which pretty much matches the smell and the taste, so nothing really exciting there.

D: Not a very impressive mouthfeel and taste combo and a taste that made this beer more annoying than tolerant. If I see the beer on the ice-cap, I am definitely avoiding it in the future. Next time I go to Aruba, I'm staying on the Balashi train. (912 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +8.3%

I had this while on my honeymoon in Aruba. Pale yellow color, with a typical macro smell. Taste was relatively average, minimal hops, some crispness but somewhat of an artificial flavor. Not a very exciting brew, and not the best hot-weather beer choice I found on the island. (276 characters)

Polar Pilsen from Cervecería Polar