Polar Pilsen - Cervecería Polar

poor

Cervecería Polar visit their website
Venezuela

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Polar Pilsen acompaña a los venezolanos desde 1941, con la misma dedicación, constancia y esfuerzo que le pone el venezolano día tras día a todo lo que hace. Cumplimos 70 años acompañando y aportando una esencia que es y seguirá siendo Polar Pilsen, nuestro auténtico sabor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-08-2002)
View: Beers (4) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
hoppheadIPA

2.33/5  rDev -5.7%

Had this on my trip to Curacao. It was awhile ago but I took note and wrote it down. Poured a straw yellow and carbonated much like a macro with similar taste. If you ever go to a the "ABC" islands, my suggestion would be amstel bright. Of course happy hour at the tiki bar served these for $10 a bucket of 6. So I drank alot of these on the beach.

11-30-2008 10:00:25 | More by hoppheadIPA
medic25

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev +10.5%

I had this while on my honeymoon in Aruba. Pale yellow color, with a typical macro smell. Taste was relatively average, minimal hops, some crispness but somewhat of an artificial flavor. Not a very exciting brew, and not the best hot-weather beer choice I found on the island.

10-07-2008 05:22:05 | More by medic25
mooseisloose

2.7/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells like a czech with Saaz hops and the like. Pours to a pale yellow, no head to speak of. Taste is light and fresh, sweet and dry with not much bitterness evident. Sweey mellow finish, however it doesn't seem to difficult to finish mellow when there is not much flavor to speak of throughout. Dissapointed in the taste after the smell. Good thirst quencher but then again so is water. I must rate this beer as a good lawnmower but lacking in flavor. Lots of bark but really no bite. Kind-a like Chavez.

08-10-2008 21:02:16 | More by mooseisloose
Drew966

3.1/5  rDev +25.5%

Polar Pilsener beer pours a pale yellow with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle that features a polar bear label screened on. A mild malty, corn spiked aroma is present. There is a fairly mild corn flavor, not much else. Decent by macro standards.

08-04-2008 00:19:40 | More by Drew966
Beastdog75

2.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Last year, I went to the island of Bonaire in the Netherlands Antilles, and Polar ended up being one of the more popular beers there. The Dutch locals prefered the Heineken, Amstel (not Light!) and Amstel Bright, but this beer was the preferred brew of the island people and the visiting South Americans. So... this is beer to drink if you want to go local in Bonaire. As expected however, it's almost purely a hot weather brew and is pretty unspectacular in most regards.

Polar pours a yellow color with some active carbonation. A fingers worth of foam forms and lasts for a minute before thinning out. The smell was a typical "island beer" smell of some husky adjunct smell and some mustiness. The body of the beer seemed thin, but had a somewhat high level of carbonation. Tastewise, the beer was no surprise with a bit of a corn/adjunct taste masking the light malt profile that was present. There was low-moderate astringent bitterness present. Overall, the flavor wasn't going to knock anybody off their feet (some might even say it is a bit watery). The brew tastes of cooked veggies in the aftertaste and concludes with no alcoholic warmth.

My friend's dad visits Bonaire every year and this particular bottle was brought back to me recently (I wish I brought back some beer from my trip). I call this a "living in the moment" beer. Back home, this really didn't do anything for me, but when enjoying the island life, this beer hits the spot.

03-01-2008 04:40:32 | More by Beastdog75
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.53/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From my notes 6/11/07 pours a one-finger white head that quickly to a thin layer, leaving some lace. Crystal clear amber color. Faint hoppy nose. Light carbonation and light bodied. Flavor is mildly hoppy, occasional sweetness and an almost clean finish. S.Fr. 3.40 ($2.77) for a 12oz bottle from Drinks of the World Lucerne, Switzerland

06-27-2007 20:45:54 | More by jdhilt
daliandragon

2.48/5  rDev +0.4%

Picked up a sixer at the self proclaimed "southernmost grocery store in the US" in Key West, Florida. Bottle design is slightly different from the one shown, with the bear walking towards you and out of the crest. Pale straw color with mucho carbonation but zero head, just a rim of bubbles around the mouth of my pint glass. Nose is faint but what's there is artificial smelling and pretty nasty.

Tastes pretty much like I expected: watery and laced with mediocre hops. Decently crisp with a passably clean finish. Not a drain pour as I feared after a gander and a whiff but not quite in the neighborhood of okay, let alone good. Probably refreshing on a hundred and whatever day in Caracas, but not much to offer in NC in Feb..

02-11-2007 06:01:10 | More by daliandragon
Vancer

2.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Had this down in Miami, bought a six-pack at a Publix, wish it was a one pack.

Pure nothingness. Club soda yellow,no head. Stinky euro skunk in the aroma and TONS of cooked veggies in the flavor. Crisp in the texure, but still, I feel for the pour soles in Venz that would have to drink this on a daily basis.

11-02-2006 22:17:52 | More by Vancer
eb003

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +55.9%

I had this down in Aruba. I found the appearance to be golden in color. The smell was about average...not too strong, it does have a hoppy smell. I actually thought the taste was rather good. I found it to be clean with very little after taste. The mouthfeel is also good, crisp. The drinkability on this is high for me, because I could sit and drink it all day.

I did not find it to be as flavorful as most pilsners. It actually reminded me of certain american light beers (but a twee-bit more flavorful than light beer). All said, though. I think this beer is pretty doggone good.

03-06-2006 04:10:16 | More by eb003
TheDeuce

2.45/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Can brought back to me from Aruba by my parents, normal fizzy pilsner style beer in the vein of other American lager, fairly refreshing but nothing spectacular please see any other review by me for this style to know my opinion because this is no different.

02-24-2006 15:21:19 | More by TheDeuce
garymuchow

2.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle brought to me by my brother, thanks John, as he was on a Carribbean cruise. Encouraged by those he brought it from to drink very cold, so I've been storing this in my garage (December in MN should be could enough). Nice label on painted bottle (which I'll keep for homebrew) and on the cap (which left a rust ring on the bottle).

Aroma presents with a very sweet malt. Fairly clean and typical.
Yellow-gold. Water clear. 1/2 inch white head that dimished to a ring only in time.
Flavor is a mix of the slightly sweet malt up front, then mild bitterness and finishes with a pretty heavy dryness that lingers long for style. Not blended all that well, but an interesting mix.
Appropriately thin with moderate carbonation for style. Dryness is both good and bad for thirst quenching properties.
The dryness really stands out. Very easy to drink quickly (I wasn't that thirsty and it went down very fast). This prevented me from letting it warm, but that may be just as well as I would predict it wouldn't hold up so well. Not a classic, but I can see having this when it's hot out and the beer is very cold. It'll do just fine then.

12-29-2005 20:38:02 | More by garymuchow
Kookiekwan

2.45/5  rDev -0.8%

-My brother in law used to drink this in Venezuela growing up. He can get it now in Miami so he brought me a couple to try.

This beer pours pale and yellow, with medium carbonation and no head or lacing to speak of. There was almost no aroma but I did detect a hint of hops. The taste was very bland and non-offensive. The beer is dry, crisp, and refreshing.

Reflection: If I was at a ballgame on a hot summers day I think I would enjoy knocking a few of these back, but this beer lacks any flavor and is not a quality beer by anyone's standards.

11-11-2004 16:07:38 | More by Kookiekwan
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.13/5  rDev -54.3%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with almost no head. No aroma and taste is very weak. No surprise here since I didn’t expect much to begin with anyway. What is worth mentioning though is that the bottle is made in the shape of a baseball bat and will make an interesting addition to my bottle collection.

05-25-2004 14:33:41 | More by Phyl21ca
Imbiber

2.15/5  rDev -13%

***The name on the bottle was 'Polar Pilsner', but I have confirmed this is the same beer as Tipo.***

Going back a couple of weeks through my notes for this one, which I found at a Hispanic grocery while trekking around in the Miami heat.

Pale yellow, mid to high carbonation. Average white head. Aroma was minimal, but a few hops were in there plus a bit of corn starchiness. The mildly hoppy flavour was intertwined with an offputting cereal graininess. One-dimentional and plastic, though it did at least quench my thirst. Little finish that I could note.

This is not a good quality beer by any means, though not the foulest I've tried.

02-23-2004 03:04:58 | More by Imbiber
Andreji

Colombia

3.23/5  rDev +30.8%

Here we go again with em lagers. Pours a pale golden tone, with a medium bright white head and a lot of carbonation. The smell, intense, gives off much of the hops and a slight maltyness.

The taste, and what gives it an edge over other lagers, is That it is dry but flavourful, with much of the maltyness prior to a nice bitterness, and a nice feel to the carbonation throughout. This all favours an 'aux cayes' (OK) mouthfeel, not a bad beer at all.

07-08-2003 14:37:13 | More by Andreji
WanderingFool

2.95/5  rDev +19.4%

My sister brought me a couple of small 10 oz cans of Polar back from Columbia. The beer is a very clear light yellow color. A foamy white head fades very fast to a ring around the beer and that soon disappears. There is little to no aroma, but what I could detect smelled flowery and almost honey like. The beer is very drinkable and goes down quickly. Carbonation is slow and the flavor begins with a sweet light malt and corn taste. Some hoppy bitterness finishes off the sip and leaves a mild bitter flavor behind.

I was pleased to find this beer did not have any chemical flavors found in many low quality brews. I also thought the flavor had many similarites to honey mead.

07-04-2003 10:43:03 | More by WanderingFool
BeerResearcher

2.73/5  rDev +10.5%

They serve a lot of this stuff on Margarita Island, off the coast of Venezuela. The beer is straw in color and a bit over carbonated. The fizz lasts just a short time, and then the head disappears. There's no body to speak of and the lightly citrusy hops are on the mild side. There's also not much aroma. After a time, you can get accustomed to drinking Polar, it's inexpensive and in the hot daytime sun of the island, it was fairly refreshing. But on cool evenings, thoughts hearty pale ales and flavorful IPAs entered the brain...

03-12-2003 15:39:58 | More by BeerResearcher
kunzbrew

2.03/5  rDev -17.8%

This brew pours a light straw color with no head, and leaves no lace. There is no hop aroma and malty aroma nothing this is bad. A taste of nothing but a little hops that is about it. This is a beer from Aruba and it sucks. I had a friend bring some beer back from there and this is some of what he brought me.

Cheers