Red Duck Jupiter - Purrumbete Brewing Company (Red Duck)

Red Duck Jupiter

Beer added by: lacqueredmouse on 10-01-2013

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.75/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I tried this beer for the first time at the brewery when it was very fresh and very new indeed, but circumstances (ahem, drunkenness) prevented me from giving it a proper review. I did remember enjoying it a great deal, however, so I was very pleased when my brother bought me a bottle for my birthday from Slowbeer in Melbourne.

Pours a solid dark brown with good clarity and a rather light body. Head forms a middling lattice of large, pale brown bubbles and then only really because I poured with some vigour. In fact, the beer seems almost uncarbonated, but that's perhaps not that unexpected for a beer with a long barrel conditioning.

Nose is full of oak: big vanillin characters mingling with the darker malt notes to give subtle berry hints. Not much in the way of juniper on the nose, except perhaps a savoury crispness that comes through. The oak is clearly dominant though: the way it works with the other characters give subtle purple grape and molasses notes. And that's a pretty decent thing.

Taste is pleasant, and here the juniper comes out a little more, giving a slightly tart, slightly bitter vegetative character to the centre of the palate. Under it is a solid, if relatively light porter, which rests on faint roast without much broad maltiness. The aftertaste has a touch more of that juniper note which to me is somewhere oddly between savoury and bitter. It could either use a touch more carbonation or a bit more body to help the feel: as it is, it ends up being a little bit flat.

Overall though, I did enjoy this a good deal. I remember the juniper being more prominent when it was young, but (ahem) there were circumstances that perhaps prevented me from giving the most rigorous opinion at the time. My suggestion is, however, that you drink this sooner rather than later if you have a bottle: the oak has already given it all the time it needs to age, and I think the juniper character might just get more and more lost the longer it goes on.

Red Duck Jupiter from Purrumbete Brewing Company (Red Duck)
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.