Red Duck Gruiter - Purrumbete Brewing Company (Red Duck)

Red Duck Gruiter
No picture uploaded.

Purrumbete Brewing Company (Red Duck) visit their website
Australia

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: CrazyDavros on 09-06-2012)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours dark brown with no head whatsoever, although a bit of syrupy sediment sees to have collected at the bottom of my glass...
Nose shows acidic dark berries, soft roasted malt, chocolate and spices/herb contributing a Dr Pepper note. Weird but somehow enticing.
Somewhat akin to a Flanders Red.
Very sour flavours, almost mouth-puckering. Some of the roasted malt shows but nothing else really makes an impression through the acidic assault.
Very low carbonation. Almost seems watery.
Bit of an experiment I suppose, and interesting, but not something I plan on drinking again - once is definitely enough.

3.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Bottle from Beer Cartel.

Completely uncarbonated, the body is a dark but very still oily brown hue. Weight is solid, but it maintains its fluidity, and doesn't form legs when swirled. Nor for that matter does it induce any sort of carbonation. It's a funny-looking beer, but that's absolutely to be expected.

Nose is spicy and sweet, with oily dark fruits coming through, along with a leathery, oaky, tannin-laced darkness. Brighter spice comes through as well: a hint of dried ginger and pepper, with a lilting hint of orange rind. It's complex and interesting, even if I've no sense whatsoever of where it's taking me.

Taste is much more acidic, with a strong acetic tone through the centre. It's really sharp, and overwhelms pretty much everything else. There's a rounded mildly sweet darkness hiding behind the acid on the back, but it's about all that can be perceived outside that really quite alarmingly brusque tartness.

Hooey. Sorry guys, but acid isn't a winner in and of itself. This ends up being a very one-dimensional beer once you start drinking it. The spicy, subtle complexities on the nose are absolutely bombarded into submission on the palate, meaning this is significantly less exciting than it should have been. It's a shame; it certainly had promise.

3.2/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle in Sydney brought by a friend. From notes.

A - Poured dark brown with no head and minimal carbonation. Cloudy with no lace and no retention.

S - Dark fruit, grapes. Kinda nice.

T - Dark fruit, grapes, super sour. Some subtle smoke too.

M - Good carbonation, super soury and dry, medium body.

O/D - A neat take on the Gruit style. Sourness is a bit strong but an interesting addition. Somewhat difficult to work through b/c of the strength of the sourness so I wouldn't seek it out but it's something different for sure.

3.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours the darkest kola hue which leaves no head or lacing whatsoever,the smell is sour berries,wood,mustiness and kola,the mouthfeel is light bodied and a tad syrupy with tastes of watery coffee,oak or some sort of wood,unripe berries,raspberries and finished with a mouthpuckering sourness and overall its average and i wont be coming back for another cheers.

1.91/5  rDev -31%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

From Leura. No BB.

Appearance - Black. No head. Scummy looking surface.

Smell- just vinegar

Taste - just vinegar. And bitter with it

Mouthfeel - lightly carbonated.

Overall - Oh wow, I wish I had looked here before I parted with my hard earned. I just do not like it and drinking 20/50 is not what I got into my beer journey for.

Sorry Red Duck

3.56/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: solid brown 330mL bottle with a very stylish (and cute) label. I particularly like the "Does not contain any Leonardos" label - assumedly referencing the era during which Gruiter was more commonly found.

Appearance: pours absolutely pitch black with not a skerrick of head whatsoever. If I didn't know it was, I would swear this wasn't beer. But hey, this is my first Grout, so I don't know the style. No visible carbonation either. Update: on the last pour, massive floaties. I would recommend stopping the pour at the last half-centimetre.

Aroma: boy, that's different. Oily - almost rubbery - and yet with fruit sweetness behind. I'm getting the impression that I'll have to judge this not as a beer but rather akin to other 'yestercentury' drinks like mead. Not unpleasant, just very different.

Taste: holy dooley! I'm glad I wasn't going to judge this as a beer. Intense grape and berry sourness is right in your face - I pulled a face every time I took a sip. Really odd though - I am struggling a bit to put it down due to the sourness, but enjoyed it all the same. I do love sourness / bitterness, so maybe that's why.

Aftertaste: the sourness backs right off, and some smooth fruit flavour lingers. Actually pretty good.

Mouth feel: the body is huge and syrupy as is evident when one tips the glass - takes quite a time to slide down the glass. For a beverage with no head or carbonation that looks like it is a flat cola, there is a huge explosion of spiky carbonation down the throat. very interesting and very intense.

Overall: first and foremost, I will point out 3 things - firstly that I love sour / bitter flavours, secondly that this is not really a beer in the modern sense, and thirdly that I love things that are very different. I found this Gruit absolutel fascinating, even though it almost turned my face inside-out every time I took a sip. Very sour, but I really enjoyed it. It doesn't matter to me that it is AU$120 a case (2013), as I could only have one bottle every now and then anyway. I'd probably have this either for a beer tasting night, alongside lots of other different styles on one of my 'unusual booze adventures' or when I only feel like a really slow sipper. Fantastically different.

1.7/5  rDev -38.6%

I'm going to be blunt - I don't like this beer.

A dark brown verging on black with no head.

Combinations of acid and alcohol. Mixed, muddled and it doesn't work. Bits of fruit.

SOUR!!! This is just straight up vinegar. The alcohol doesn't help it and the fruit is dominated by sharp acid. I like my lambic but this goes even beyond the sourest Cantillon.

Medium body with low carbonation. Extremely sour and puckering.

A poor beer that should never have been bottled and released. Shockingly bad.

Red Duck Gruiter from Purrumbete Brewing Company (Red Duck)
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.