Pete's Wicked Ale - Pete's Brewing Company

Pete's Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

English Brown Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-04-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pete's Wicked Ale Alström Bros
4.67/5  rDev +41.5%

Very thick pour, with a unyielding tan head. This beer has a distinct aroma, with a prevailing caramel, almost burnt, and a hint of cider. Fairly good carbonation, enough to sting the tongue just a bit. Tiny streams of bubbles keep the head going. The color is a very rich chestnut brown, but clear enough to still see through. The first impressions of the taste are a very mellow malt, then opening up into a lively pallet of nutty caramel and a hint of citrus. This stuff is unbelievable, without a doubt one of a kind! One of the best American brews I have had and will definitely be a staple from here on in my cellar.

4.55/5  rDev +37.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

The pour leaves a thick, dense head that can float the bottle cap. It dissipates fairly quickly leaving a thick foam ring. The beer is a dark brown color similar to a steeply-brewed tea.

The aroma is crisp and earthy with a little doughy note.

The malty flavor predominates but a spicy, peppery taste hits the front of the tongue. Overall, a very enjoyable flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a lingering spicy aftertaste that is quite favorable. It's making me salivate and want to take another drink.

4.5/5  rDev +36.4%

Pours a clear red color with a one-inch head that lingers and laces the glass slightly. Smells like mild caramel and malt with hops. Starts a bit bitter and finishes slightly sweet.

This ale goes well with spicy foods. It is very refreshing and very drinkable. 5.5% alcohol by volume makes it a strong ale, and there is no strong alcohol taste or smell.

4.38/5  rDev +32.7%

Pours a bright amber brown, with good clarity. The off-white two-finger head has a creamy consistency and stubborn retention that will leave rings of lace to the bottom of the glass. Sweet malt nose, some faint esters, and a mild hop aroma. Crystal malt taste, blended with a weak apple twang. Hop flavor is barely present, but it does leave a semi-dry aftertaste. Mostly clean finish, some sweet malt and estery flavors are detectable, but not cloying. A mild and pleasent flavor overall, with a light body and heavy carbonation that give it a drinkability that's easy like sunday morning.

4.35/5  rDev +31.8%

One of the first real beers that I had ever tried. This one pours a dark reddish color with a medium to thin off-white head that left a decent lace in the glass. Smells sweet of malts and fruit with a hint of hops. Tastes pretty much the same as it smells with a little more hop aftertaste. THis one goes down so good that you'll need another one quickly to finish your review. Nice beer!

4.33/5  rDev +31.2%

I poured this from a bottle into a glass. The beer poured a dark amber with reddish and copper tints. It formed a thin head that disappeared quickly. There was little carbonation. I had a smell of bready malt and biscuit. The taste was very good. It had a thick malty taste that finished slowly with a mild hoppiness. The mouthfeel was creamy, but a little thin. I found this to be a very drinkable beer. I rated this a little higher than average, but I like this particular style - not too hoppy and refreshing without being too light.

4.32/5  rDev +30.9%

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle. No freshness date. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark reddish copper color with a off-white/tan foam head. Settles quickly to light lacing.

S: Rich caramel, fruity and slightly herbal hop scent. Mild sweet aroma.

T & M: Body is light to medium. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, smooth, but also a bit coarse from the carbonation. Nice sharp hop bitterness that fades quickly to a more familiar brown ale aftertaste. Smooth malt taste in-between the above. Nice balance, overall. Finish is dry with raw grain notes.

I am not a brown ale fan, but this has always been a great fallback brew and is not real typical of the sweet caramel/slightly burnt brown ales that most American brewers have come out with. This is a winner in my book.

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%

I just purchased this beer for the first time this week. It has a nice brown color to it with an inviting smell. I really enjoyed the taste of this ale it was good tasting without being too bold. There is a little light on carbonation than average but its still very drinkable. For a person that enjoys ales I would definitaly suggest this ale.

4.3/5  rDev +30.3%

I tried this one from a friend.

The appearance was only what I gathered from the bottle. Didnt pour.

Smell was a lighter somwhat more relaxed ale. I did enjoy this part.

Taste was easily one of my favorite ales. Flat out had the best taste I have tried so far. It earned what It got.

Mouthfeel was think. Not chewy. Good thought none the less.

Drinkability high.

Without a doubt this is one I recommend to buy,
Well worth it. Im glad I got caring friends. :)

Buy this one.

4.23/5  rDev +28.2%

A- Pours an absolutely beautiful dark red amber color. Half a finger of head. Dissipates quickly to a very thin head. Looking down at my glass, the colors are amazing. Dark on top and a glowing crimson on the bottom. I can see bubbles rising from the bottom. Laces well.

T- My first mouthful of this beer gave me the wow factor. Amazing taste that goes down extremely well. No carbonated feel in the mouth or throat. Leaves a great aftertaste.

M- Very light feeling... somewhat heavy on the stomach which is somewhat unappealing, but overall, it has a great mouthfeel. Amazingly smooth all the way down.

D- I can definitely see myself drinking more than one of these at the bar, if I can find this beer at a bar. It is easy to drink and the flavors are wonderful!

Overall I must say.. I love this beer! This is the first one I have had and I will definitely be getting more of this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +25.8%

12oz brown bottle from Ron's in Farmington. Pours a rich translucent copper color with beautiful ruby-red highlights but with very little head. Smells roasty, biscuity, and nutty with just the slightest hint of diacetyl. Tastes roasty sweet with a good dose of biscuit and suggestions of butter flavor, though the flavors are a bit more muted than expected. Finishes fairly clean. Medium mouthfeel with a good bit of carbonation. This a pretty solid tasty beer. I'm impressed.

4.13/5  rDev +25.2%

A lovely and attractively unusual amber-red complexion here, as this famous brew pours with medium lacing. Nose is malty sweet with hints of caramel and biscuit. Flavor is well-balanced, mixing mild roastiness with a smooth hops snap. Delicious and a very drinkable beer.

4.13/5  rDev +25.2%

Bought this with dinner at the Firgin & Fox restuarant in the old St. Charles Hotel, while on vacation in Carson City NV.

Bottle I had, not a match and told me that it is brewed in Utica, NY (not Texas as indicated here) so what's up with that?

Beer poured to an abundant head with exceptional retention. I know because I wanted the beer to settle before drinking and after 5 minutes of snifing the generous balance of hops, malts, spices and combined fruits of lemon an orange and still a huge head I went ahead.

Color was dark brown with just a touch of amber. I believe the label said, "exceptionally smooth, and ruby red brown". Pretty accurate!

The taste included the fruits (mentioned above), spices and hops.
This beer was better than good and I look forward to finding it back in Ga.

4.1/5  rDev +24.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a very nice red with a bit of brown and some tinges of gold. Nice light reddish-tan head, though it doesn't stay for too long.

Smell: Although mild (in a good way), the smell is quite noticable. A nice scent of malts, light fruits, and a bit of a floral smell as well.

Taste: Roasted malts, followed by a bit of a sweet floral/fruit taste, followed by some mild, bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and light- to medium-bodied. Carbonation is mild but noticable.

Drinkability: Alcohol content is a bit higher than I might have expected, but it's not pesky. The fact that it's very smooth, combined with a flavor that is nice but not overpowering, makes it very drinkable.

Grabbed a 6-pack of this today on a whim. Had avoided it in the past as it seemed to be a fairly trendy beer. It definitely exceeded my expectations! It's not quite a brown ale, but they don't particularly bill it as such either. A nice, solid beer that's quite refreshing. Good for drinking on it's own or with food, I'd imagine. One of those beers you can't go wrong with bringing over to a friend's place, I'd say.

4.05/5  rDev +22.7%

Served in a pint glass:

Appearance: This beer poured a redish brown amber hue with a small head that disapates very quickly to almost nothing.Many columns of beading can be found.

Smell: The nose is of a sweet woody molasses,caramel,with a touch of herbal aromas,and even a pumpkin spice is noted.

Taste: Seems to be off for its style,I'm getting a sweet malty base with some apples cooked with a cinnamon and nutmeg after taste.The spices/herbs still shine through,followed by a very subtle wood and hop finish.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel seems to be the only character playing its role.Thin,wet,easy drinking beer.Simple like it should be.

Drinkability: I have had a few other brown ales before and this beer tastes nothing like them.Not saying its a bad thing,but if had to guess its style I would have guessed way off.Overall,I enjoyed this beer.

4.05/5  rDev +22.7%

Pours a brownish/ruby color (just as promised on the label), although it's not as deep brown as most brown ales; it does have a bit of head and some lacing, just not tons of either. Nice malty, earthy scent, although it is not as strong as I'd like. Excellent taste, deep and earthy, very malty, and it does have an excellent nuttish flavor. It goes down quite smooth. I'm sorry I've waited so long to try it.

Presentation: 12oz brown bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Dark copper with a off-white/tan foam head. It settles quickly to a lasting lace, with a bit of stick.

Smell: Rich caramel, fruity esters, faint touch of burnt raisin.

Taste: Body is light to medium. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, smooth, but also a bit coarse. Semi-astringent upfront with a sharp hop bitterness that fades quickly. Fruity esters rear-up, riding in on the hop flavour then the beer smoothes into the malt profile. Subdued caramel, faint chocolate, toasted/biscuit, caramelized fruits and even a touch of sweet grape. There's also a distinct twang to the beer that seems to be the running theme throughout. Nice balance, overall. Finish is dry with raw grain notes.

Notes: Pete's Wicked Ale is a found memory for me. It's simply a solid American Brown Ale -- always available and always enjoyable as a session beer or a fallback beer.

And, even though Pete probably doesn't brew anymore and that they are owned by Gambrinus ... I really like this beer. I also like Pete's new change in marketing direction ... let's just hope they don't catch any of those Corona kuddies from the Gambrinus folk.

This beer proves that a microbrewery can go big without losing its soul. Quality beer which seems to have stayed pretty much the same over the years.

Poured a nice brown/copper color with head that didn't last. Tasted of sweet malts, with a slight hint of fruity esters. Very satisfying. Not great, but pretty good brown ale. I'll probably drink it again because its pretty easy to find.

Looked light brown in color with a moderate head. Smelled of caramel and earthy hop flavor. Taste was dominated by hops but not too bitter. Slight malt flavor in there but not too much. Finishes very clean and easy. Everything about this beer tells me it's good so I gave it all 4's. Very enjoyable

I picked up a six-pack of Pete’s Wicked Ale to taste review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a nut brown color, with a red hue when held up to the light, and is clear. A two finger foamy beige/off-white head is resilient and hangs around for a while.

The smell is hoppy for the most part, with citrus notes and maybe a hint of evergreen.

The taste is quite good. There is a roasted malt flavor, with a little organic peaty taste, and a medium bitter hop flavor. The flavors are fairly complex and well balanced.

Mouth feel is light and crisp especially for an English brown ale. It is moderately carbonated.

This is a very drinkable beer. It may not be a great example of this style, but I certainly like it. It makes a great session beer, and I could drink several glasses of Pete’s Wicked Ale without tiring of it. I'd say this beer is good, and well above average in every respect. I’ll buy Pete’s again. I still have several bottles in the fridge, and I’m looking forward to them.

NOTE: My bottle says it is brewed by Pete’s Brewing Co. of Utica, NY not San Antonio, TX.

3.98/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Brown/dark ruby red just as the bottle says. 1-2 finger head that dies down quickly leaving a small ring, some minimal lacing.

S - Very sweet with a lot of malt, maybe some distant hops. Some coffee and caramel aromas
surface, taking on an almost candy-like quality.

T - In line with the nose, a lot of malt upfront with raisins, dark fruits (black currants
perhaps?), more caramel and some suggestions of cinnamon and toffee. A quick bitterness finishes up the taste, with a mild hint of hops creeping through.

M - Medium bodied with just enough carbonation to keep the beer from being cloying. Quite slick.

D - I could definitely have a few of these due to a wealth of flavors presented fairly mildly.
Not a bad choice for warmer weather either despite it's increased body. Despite the taste being more homogenized than other craft brews, it's still a smooth, flavorful brew.

Though I'm not terribly familiar with this style, this beer could really get me interested in brown ales. Solid and inexpensive, this may enter into my regular rotation of session beers.

3.98/5  rDev +20.6%

I first had this when I was 18, I remember how much we enjoyed it in college but hadn't had one in about 12 years. I just never saw it again until recently

Color is a nice reddish brown as they say.

Aroma is mildly sweet and pleasant

Tatse is more mild sweetness and some fruityness, hops are mellow and quite subdued.

Overall it's still a great session beer for a cool day or night.

3.98/5  rDev +20.6%

This one is pretty decent. Pours to a brown color with a slight head that goes away. Right away has the aroma of hops. It has a sweet flavor with nutty and caramel notes. It is also a little fruity and has a slight citrus flavor. Mouthfeel is medium, coats the inside of the mouth just a little and rather pleasantly.

3.97/5  rDev +20.3%

Aroma of C hop, chocolate malt. Good carbonation. Nicely hoppy, citrus, and brown in that it had a bit of root beer taste to it and had a reddish brown colour. Well malted, tasty and I could have this as a regular brew.A very nice ale, in a blind taste I thought it was a Great Lakes.

Pete's Wicked Ale from Pete's Brewing Company